"But it's that last soul that's a bit tricky. You've made it this far, but, you should know there are countless meisters who've lost their lives when they challenge a witch."
The appearance of a witch varies, though for the most part generally look human-like in appearance and are female. However, some witches can have an appearance based on distinct, animal-like qualities of their known animal theme. The soul of a witch is ordinarily colored with a purple hue. However, witches like Shaula Gorgon may show that this isn't always the case. The Soul Wavelength of a witch is also distinguishable, though this cannot be physically seen.
To make use of certain spells, most commonly when they are initially demonstrated within the series, numerous witches (and other beings capable of using magic) perform a specific mantra or chant preceding the statement of the desired ability. Each witch has her own unique phrasing that often pertains exclusively to their respective animal theme; for example Medusa Gorgon's mantra comprises entirely of words relating to her theme of snakes, being "Nake, Snake, Cobra, Cobabara". However; despite the various instances that follow this magic casting system, it is apparently not a requirement for all witches as both Arachne and Mizune are notable for the absence of any such statement, even though both have used magic multiple times throughout the series.
Pull of Magic
Main article: Pull of Magic
Although the Witches' control spread further in the past, the DWMA's efforts have caused them to later gain the upper-hand for a long time and as a result, has made them shunned and resorted to being trapped in an isolated space: the Witches' Realm.
It seems that the general population of people and even general members of the DWMA hold a Witch to a low opinion, with young witches such as Kim Diehl fearing her status as a witch would cause her to be hunted by the DWMA. In addition, it was shown that even a DWMA security guard is uncomfortable with Kim, despite her status of being a student of the academy. Even Death Gods like Death the Kid recognizes them as DWMA's eternal enemies and Death is not completely trusting them.
However, despite this discrimination, higher-ups and high-ranking members in the DWMA are willing to look past this. In addition, even Death himself admitted that the creation of the Demon Weapons were inhumane for the Witches and actually didn't want to perform the experiment to create them in which requires the sacrifice of Witches. After the battle on the Moon, Death the Kid sought to improve relation between Witches and Humans alike.
However, it's not to say the Witches aren't discriminatory themselves. Although the general witch seemingly are afraid of a God of Death due to their power, the Witch Judge and the assembly consider the being of a Death God to be a crime and outrageously even convicted Death the Kid a sentencing of "one million" for simply being one and also consider befriending a Death Weapon to be a crime punishable by death.
Occasionally, the souls of Witches are hunted, being a requirement to create a Death Weapon due to the fact that Demon Weapons are in an "incomplete" form without the witch souls and because of that, it is needed for them to become "true demon weapons". Although Witches can be hunted for this reason, Witches can also be hunted for causing trouble.
However, Witches who cause trouble to DWMA or are authorized by Death to receive an Execution Order are officially authorized to be hunted after, such as the Gorgon Sisters whom all three had attracted the attention of the DWMA and for one member, even the DWMA CIA.
Witches have the normal ability to manipulate supernatural forces and utilize magic and cast spells. Many of their spells depend on their animal theme, personality, and traits. Though some magic can be learned. Witches also tend to be spiritually flexible.There have been instances in which witches have a high understanding of soul wavelengths enough so that they can break their soul into small fragments and reform in due time, as emulated by both Medusa and Arachne. Witches, also appear to have incredibly long life spans.
In addition, although it is unlikely for a witch to partner with a weapon due to strife between them and the DWMA, it is feasible for a witch to use a weapon. Kimial Diehl, for example, is a lamp meister. However, it seems that witches are unable to possess certain meister abilities like that of Soul Perception.
List of Witches
- In the Yen Press English translation, Tezca Tlipoca refers to a "Fifth Power," later revealed to be the witches. A fifth power, or "quintessence," may refer to the Fifth Element or the Aether, an element beyond the conventional four: air, fire, earth, and water. The quintessence also may refer to a hypothetical form of dark energy. Based on witches' closeness to dark magic and their operation outside of a normal world, Tezca's potentially unintentional comparison of witches to the Aether and Dark Energy is apt.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Soul Eater Volume 22 English translation: Chapter 96 Page 123
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 0.1
- ↑ Through-out Soul Eater
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 7
- ↑ Soul Eater Episode 1 — The anime represents the witch soul purple
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Episode 12 — Shaula's soul is not a kishin egg since the NOT! anime doesn't follow the Soul Eater anime's kishin egg concept and follows it's respective manga closely, in which such concept is absent.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 7
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 42
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Soul Eater Volume 23, Chapter 98, page 33
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 44
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 97
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 100
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 23; Chapter 99, page 61
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 113
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 35
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 98
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 23; Chapter 99, page 62
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Soul Eater Volume 4, Chapter 14, page 193
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 70
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 46
- ↑ "Quintessence." Wikipedia. WiKimialedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintessence. Accessed 28 Mar. 2015.