Witch-Hunt Slash (魔女狩り, majogari), also known as Witch-Hunt and Witch Hunter, is a traditional Soul Resonance attack used by Scythe-Meisters. It is the first of the Great Traditional Techniques of the Scythe-Meister.
The technique changes the size and shape of the Scythe Weapon's blade, depending on the individuals performing Soul Resonance in question. This attack has the ability to easily kill/injure those who're susceptible to it's special criteria. The Witch-Hunt Slash has been commented by Maka Albarn to be able to work on Demons,Immortals, and has been assumed to work on a Witch as well as has been able to affect a Demon Tool Soldier. The technique has also been seen able to cancel out magic spells emitted from a Witch.
- The 6-Hunt Slash (6ハントスラッシュ) is rotating slash attack with a six-shaped after-image. It is used by Maka Albarn when in Soul resonance with Soul Evans, and is shown to be strong enough to pierce through Free's Wolf Tail Wall and make contact with him.
- Letter "U" Hunt Slash (U字狩り, Yūjigari; Fansub "Attack of the U"; Literally meaning "Letter U Hunt"): A crescent slash brought from below where the blade is dragged upward in the shape of a U. Known as "Letter U Hunter" in the English Dub.
- Kamaitachi (鎌威断ち): When using this attack, Soul collects the soul wavelength around him and redirects it back from where it came. The downside of this attack is that it is indiscriminate and unselective, being unable to distinguish between either enemy or ally. As a result, the technique cannot be used in team missions. There is a further disadvantage present due to the rotation the user must undergo to preform the attack, which results in disorientation for a few moments after completion.
- When Maka first demonstrated Witch-Hunt Slash, there was a section of the blade with a gap present resembling a mouth (incidentally causing the blade to slightly echo the Moon found within the series), however, later when it's used in her second battle against Crona it seems to vanish, the reason for this is unknown. It is however present for a moment in the first battle with Stein, when he was thought to be evil.
- Maka and Soul's attack kamaitachi is spelled with the kanji that translates to "Scythe-Threat Cut," but it shares the name of the kamaitachi ("scythe-weasel," "demon weasel"), a mythological Japanese weasel-shaped monster with scythe-like claws.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 7
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 10 — Maka: It's alright....Soul and I have the "Witch-Hunt Slash"! If Witch-Hunt Slash can work on demons, then I'm sure it can beat an immortal.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 65
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 11: Yen Press English translation, page 186