|The Witch's Research Arc|
← Grigori Arc
Salvage Arc →
The Witch's Research Arc is the seventeenth named story arc in the manga Soul Eater.
Azusa Yumi guides a mission for meisters Kim Diehl and Kilik Rung, with their weapons and Liz and Patty Thompson, to explore Medusa's underground research facility found in Central Africa. As they discover more information about Crona, the members of Spartoi face locals infected by madness and Medusa's latest creation, the Black Clown.
Medusa Gorgon observes two "experiments." First, Kim Diehl and Kilik Rung face off against Medusa's newest creation, the Black Clown. This battle allows the members of Spartoi to unleash the Earth Shaman powers of Pot of Fire and Pot of Thunder. Second, Black☆Star and Tsubaki Nakatsukasa face Crona, who seems to have been modified by Medusa's experiments with madness manipulation.
- Since her disappearance from Baba Yaga Castle, Medusa Gorgon has developed her own clowns, one of which, the Black Clown, will serve as an additional partner to Crona for the remainder of the manga.
- Black☆Star and Tsubaki Nakatsukasa discover one of Medusa's lairs, where they will fight Crona.
- This chapter refers to Kilik as a Utility Meister. In the original Japanese, the kanji used for "utility" is "all-purpose," which implies that Kilik has the versatility to synchronize with multiple weapons.
- This arc refers to Kim's full name as Kimial Diehl (Japanese: Kimiaaru Diiru).
- In the original Japanese, Atsushi Ohkubo includes yet another musical allusion through Kilik and Liz's puns on the word "jam," referring to not only bullets stuck in a gun's chamber but also to play improvisationally.
- Medusa's research facility includes an eyeball in a jar, similar to one that appeared in her other research facility in the anime before Eruka Frog blew it up, along with Sid Barrett and Mira Naigus.
- Liz and Patty use varying honorifics when referring to Azusa. Liz refers to her with "-onee" ("big sister"), to show that Liz respects Azusa's age and talent but sees her more as a peer than as an instructor. Patty, on the other hand, refers to Azusa as "Azusa-san," showing camaraderie for Azusa but less respectful address than Liz.
- Kilik's fight against the Black Clown resembles Franken Stein's first battle against Crona, when the erupted of Black Blood off of the Clown and Crona's bodies from Kilik and Stein's attacks hangs momentarily before forming Bloody Needles to pierce at the meisters.
- Kim and Jacqueline's Volantern attack is a portmanteau of "vol" ("flight") and "lantern."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Soul Eater Volume 16: Yen Press Translation, Page 186
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Soul Eater Volume 16: Yen Press Translation, Page 187