The Lines of Sanzu (ザ ライン オブ サンズ, Za Rain obu Sanzu) is a special trait exclusive to the Shinigami represented by the either three white lines on the head around the individual, white breaks within the hair, or white halos surrounding the head.
The Lines of Sanzu ordinary appear as either three lines within the hair as seen by Death the Kid or the white break within the hair observed by Asura, who was later revealed to be a Shinigami himself. According to Mosquito, the Lines of Sanzu connecting are dependent of the age of a Shinigami, meaning a child shinigami's lines are incomplete whearas a fully mature one are all connected.. As the child gets older, they are able to connect more of the lines. By the time they've connected the second lines, they're considered their own, independent Shinigami.
However, the Lines of Sanzu connecting has a profound effect on the parent Shinigami if they're set to be their next heir. Whenever Death the Kid connects a Lines, this causes pain to Death himself and even causes cracks to his mask. Within these lines also holds a wavelength of the parent that may be forfietted after the connection of the second line. When the heir has connected all the Lines of Sanzu, the parent Shinigami is killed as a result. According to Excalibur, this is because the world doesn't require excessive amounts of Shinigamis.
As the child Shinigami connects their lines, they unlock more of their hidden potential and even some of their parent's techniques and abilities. When connecting all three of the Lines of Sanzu, a True Shinigami is able to call upon the power of the Madness of Order in which, according to Death the Kid, can eclipse all human emotions and leave only the mechanical cycle of life and death. In the anime, Kid temporarily connected all three of the Lines of Sanzu, gaining significant power that ends up destroying Asura while in his giant form with the Ultimate Death Cannon.
However, not all Shinigami are tied down to their Lines of Sanzu, such as Asura. While born of the same fragment, he is not a heir to Death and can co-exist, despite being a complete Shinigami of his own. He even possess white breaks around his head revolving around twice, indicating his status as a full Shinigami but not of being an heir and possesses his own abilities instead of Death's.
Each of the Shinigamis present in the series all seem to have abilities concerning using some sort of Magic in which originates from the Lines of Sanzu. However, in addition to the ability to manipulate some sort of magic, the Lines of Sanzu can even power their Meister-related capabilities such as transforming their Demon Weapon into more powerful weapons or provide them with more destructive attacks. The Shinigamis also tend to share similar or exact attacks (and themes for some) while possessing their own unique techniques, abilities, etc.
Death the Kid's Abilities
Death the Kid's Spells
Death the Kid's Techniques
- In Japanese Buddhism, the Sanzu River is the River of Three Crossings and the way to the afterlife. It is the Japanese equivalent of the River Styx. A person's soul crosses from the land of the living to the land of the dead by crossing one of three ways, depending on the weight of their sins, or karma: the good cross a bridge, the neither good nor bad cross through a shallows, and the bad cross through deep waters where vicious snakes swim.
- When connected, the Lines of Sanzu resemble a halo, emphasizing how a Shinigami is an "Angel of Death."
- In both endings of the anime and manga, when Kid activates all three Lines of Sanzu, it leaves multiple cracks in Shinigami's mask when Kid battles Asura. However in the anime, Death does not die after Kid activates all three Lines of Sanzu.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 53
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 108
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 110
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 81
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 113
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 110 — Kid: Oh...OHHH! I can feel it within me...an incredible Madness of Order...an intense Madness so strong that it could even eclipse all human emotions and leave only a mechanical cycle of life and death!!
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 50
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 103
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 9: Yen Press English translation, page 200