Soul Evans (ソウル・エヴァンス, Sōru Evansu), also known as Soul Eater (ソウルイーター, Souruītā)), is a Demon Weapon who was born into a family of famous musicians. After discovering his weapon abilities, Soul joined DWMA where he partnered with the Scythe-Meister, Maka Albarn. Soul later became a student in the E.A.T. Class where he became known as the "Demon Scythe." He nearly became a Death Scythe after he and Maka collected 99 Kishin souls but failed to capture a witch's soul, requiring him to start over with his task.
Upon the second attempt, however, Soul became a Death Scythe after claiming the witch's soul of Arachne Gorgon during the collapse of Arachnophobia. After the downfall of the Clown Army and Asura's defeat, Soul changed his stage name to Soul "Eater" Evans (ソウル・イーター・エヴァンス) and was granted the title "Death's Last Weapon" by the new headmaster of Death Weapon Meister Academy after the announcement that DWMA would no longer be collecting witches' souls. He is one of the main protagonists in Soul Eater.
Soul was part of a wealthy family of musicians known as the Evans and was known for his skill with the piano though he suffered from the assumption he'd never live up to his older brother Wes' skill with music. He later learned of his weapon heritage and joined the DWMA shortly thereafter.
Soul's attitude is laid-back and nonchalant at the start of the series, as he tries to mold himself to his expectations of how someone "cool" would act. He is almost the complete opposite of Maka Albarn, being reserved and aloof. He often expresses how he feels about some situations by either claiming that something is "cool" or "not cool", Being a cool guy, he prefers to use the direct or stupid approach, which most of the time fails. According to Dr. Franken Stein, Soul's soul is "careless and arrogant" as a reflection of his attempt to be "cool" and "above it all".
He has a unique love for eating souls that seems to not be shared by many of the other Weapons, drooling quite frequently when his next meal is nearby. He also seems to be a glutton towards food in general. He can sometimes become too driven by the thought of eating souls, which leads him to bicker with Maka or become impatient with her; but despite their squabbles, they are always able to maintain a solid friend-partner relationship. He is also friends with Black☆Star because of their similar immature personalities, but at the same time, they cannot match their Wavelengths. He is slightly immature by being headstrong, stubborn, apathetic to most things, and argumentative. Soul also has a strong weakness towards overdeveloped women, as he bursts into a nosebleed without fail every time he sees Blair naked, contradicting his so-called "cool" way of dealing with things. He is also a slacker who likes to find easier ways out of situations, shown when he attempts to cheat in a DWMA exam, after which he ends up stripped of all of his clothes except his boxers, and is sent back to his seat to finish his test. However, one thing he has gained from all the years of being 'cool' is that he is possibly one of the most loyal people one could possibly meet. He firmly believes that breaking promises and changing sides 'isn't cool at all'. Deep down, he is always looking out for his friends, and is even willing to sacrifice himself in order to protect his partner, Maka, showing his bravery and dedication. Despite his usual unenthusiastic appearance, he proves to be actually quite determined, and he also helps people get back on their feet when they are at a loss. He is also quick-thinking and cunning, being able to figure out a plan or a strategy rather quickly.
After the rise of The Kishin Asura, however, Soul's personality greatly matures, and his stubborn and headstrong demeanor is replaced by a more cool-headed and serious one. He remains remarkably calm and composed no matter how dire the situation is and has impressively deep insight on various situations and people. He is often seen noticing important points no one else had thought of. This goes hand-in-hand with his acute sense and judgment, which is well-respected by his peers. He begins to show more awareness and understanding towards people, up until the point that he even lectures some of the other characters when they are too stubborn to see some situations clearly. Still, he sometimes thinks it's best to leave people to figure things out on their own. He does not waste his words and is often blunt and sometimes short with people, but what he says is mostly to the point. He is also not as trusting as others, showing immediate hostility to anyone who he considers as suspicious, and his deductions are mostly correct. Once he considers someone as an enemy, he sticks to this opinion until it is proven wrong. Since he is infected by the Black Blood, he runs the risk of being overcome by Madness. Because of Soul's constant grapple with the Black Blood and Little Demon inside his soul, he has a good degree of self-control, and he rarely gives in to his emotions. He has demonstrated extremely strong willpower, being able to hold onto both his and Maka's sanity whilst using the Black Blood against Crona. He still has a compassionate side, proving to be a good, loyal friend to others, and is still willing to do anything he can to protect Maka.
He always tends to think things through before doing certain actions. Although this makes him more aware of things that some people cannot see, it sometimes hinders him as he often ends up doubting and hesitating at crucial moments, thereby making him become very indecisive when a decision has to be made quickly. Little Demon once mocked him, saying that the path he follows is only one that he has come across through process of elimination, thus he has no true conviction of his own, and is always running away. A flashback has shown him being even more indifferent about what he wants to do, but Soul states that things are different now, and that he has a conviction to become stronger for Maka. Her actions sometimes inspire him to follow his own heart, which results in him acting rather like Maka, putting himself in certain situations in a way that may seem reckless, but still courageous, such as when he decides to fight Giriko, showing that he has changed a lot over time.
However, he seems to suffer from low self esteem and is not that confident in himself. He is saddened of his inferiority to Autonomous weapons like Justin and Giriko and cringes at the thought of his brother, Wes, who is a superior musician. He also conflicts frequently with the Little Demon in his soul. He keeps most of these problems to himself, and seems reluctant to share his problems with others, which sometimes makes him appear harsh and almost cold. He is mostly seen frowning or scowling. He is rather pessimistic, and is slightly aloof and detached from others, and he admits that he shares Crona's fear of bonding with people. He seems to dislike being popular, especially for rather shallow reasons, like his status as a Death Scythe, shown by his negative reaction to the many love letters and requests to become his partner that he receives. At the DWMA anniversary party, he is seen outside on the balcony by himself rather than with the others, and does not tell Maka of his Black Blood infection and his dreams of Little Demon, although this is mainly because he does not want to worry her. He still has a kindhearted side, although he shows this side mostly to Maka.
In the first Chapter of Lust in The Book of Eibon, Soul is transformed into a girl with the characteristics of what entices him the most in the opposite gender. In this form, he noticeably has disgust towards men who are enticed by vulgar women, strongly resembling Maka's very same view. His personality returns to normal after leaving the first Chapter. He quickly reverts to his true male appearance alongside Maka, which means he does not possess many lustful thoughts (which is ironic because of his constant nosebleeds upon seeing Blair's naked body).
Having come from a family of musicians, Soul also has a great talent for playing the piano. Maka reveals that when they first met, he performed a dark song for her. Apart from this one act, however, he appears reluctant to play in front of other people because he "doesn't know what he’s capable of." Soul’s brother, Wes, is a famous violinist, but Soul wished to break free from his family’s musical tradition, and upon discovering the blood of a Weapon coursing through his veins, he used it as an excuse to leave his past life. He still retains a deep love for music, however, and seems to show enthusiasm in regards to it. Memories of his past still affect him emotionally, so much so that he prefers to forget them entirely. Nevertheless, having grown up in a rather upper-class household he retains many mannerly skills, such as ballroom dancing. He also appears to have an excellent taste for music, personally enjoying jazz, and has a distinctive eye for architecture; he claims Blair’s pumpkin house to be ‘cool’ and later states that he likes Gothic designs when he sees Santa Maria Novella Basilica.
Soul's maturity as the series goes on begins to show more and more as he manages to help Maka when she is in emotional distress. Whenever Maka is in self-doubt or unsure what to do, his words often can help her make up her mind or cheer her up. When she is unsure of whether to help DWMA fight against Arachne or help Crona and Marie defeat Medusa to save Stein, Soul encourages her to follow her heart and do what she believes is the right thing. In the last scene of the manga, Soul's compliments and thanks to her also cheer her up from her depression caused by the loss of Crona and inspire her to show the world their courage and to see Crona again.
Soul has white hair swept to one side and red eyes. He is known for his heavily exaggerated facial expressions and pointed teeth. He naturally has a lazy, droopy, and somewhat uninterested expression on his face.
His soul is light blue with the top resembling his hair and is also the Soul Eater series logo. This logo can be seen on the back of his first jacket and the bandanas he makes for himself and members of Spartoi during their mission to the Moon.
In Soul Eater NOT! Soul seems not to have a DWMA uniform, although he is first seen wearing a gakuran. Outside of class, Soul often wears blue jeans, red shoes, and a bright orange shirt, with long sleeves going to his elbows, with the words "PIANOMAN" written in red in the middle.
In his first appearance in Soul Eater, Soul wears a yellow and black jacket with buttons going down the front. Around his head is a prominent sweatband that has a sticker with his name on it and a circular logo featuring a red-lipped mouth bearing pointed fangs surrounded with the letters 'E-A-T.' He wears a pair of maroon pants, and yellow and black sneakers with a pattern on the soles resembling his teeth.
When stripped of his clothes during the Ultimate Written Exam, it is revealed that Soul wears blue boxers with pictures of bones all over them (boxers also worn by Shotaro in Ohkubo's previous manga, B. Ichi).
After his battle against Crona, when Ragnarok slices across his chest, and after surgery by Franken Stein, Soul gains a large scar going diagonally down his torso from the left shoulder to the right waist. This scar can be seen not only when he is without his shirt but even under certain shirts and jackets.
After this attack by Crona, Soul is infected with the Black Blood, which manifests in the form of the Little Ogre in the Black Room of his spiritual dimension. Here, Soul wears a pin-striped black suit with a red dress shirt, black tie, and matching black shoes. He does not wear a hairband in this outfit.
After the resurrection of Asura and his escape from Death City, Soul begins to wear a new outfit: a hairband, a black (apparently leather) jacket, a pair of light brown pants, and an orange T-shirt with the logo on his sweatband emblazoned on the left breast.
During the battle for BREW on Lost Island, Soul wears a plaid zipped-up jacket with thick fur-like lining, jeans, and shoes. He appears in this same attire when in his spiritual dimension when wielded by Maka against Mosquito. This is in contrast to his fellow weapons, who are naked in their dimensions. In the anime, however, Soul's Lost Island attire is never shown, and in his spiritual dimension, he is naked.
In his Spartoi uniform, Soul has kept to his fondness of wearing a jacket. This time, it is a custom, white (possibly military) jacket, with the Spartoi logo on the left shoulder with a small clip strapped to the collar for closing. Underneath the jacket, he wears a tucked-in, closed, white dress shirt with a tie. He is normally seen without the jacket on. He wears blue pants, a white belt, and white shoes.
Upon entering the first Chapter of Lust in the Book of Eibon, alongside Maka and other members of Spartoi, his appearance greatly changed in that his gender was switched to female for the remainder of the chapter. In this form, he has long hair with a fluffy hairband visible beneath. The clothes are similar to the female Spartoi outfit, with the sailor suit collar, but with the difference that it is more like a dress. He wears a blouse with puffed up sleeves with some subtle flower petal patterns on the hem. The signature tie of the Spartoi uniform has been tied up to be in a bow-shape. He wears a silky skirt that goes down to his knees and white shoes. After reaching the Envy Chapter, he turns straight back to his normal gender.
- The relationship between Soul and Maka has been read by fans as having romantic tones. This interpretation owes to actions taken by the duo that are often associated with romantic attraction in fiction: dancing or appearing to be dancing, hand holding and bringing their heads towards each other and blushing when either party or another brings up their closeness. Additional content from sources other than the manga refer to a potential romance between Maka and Soul, as in audio dramas that feature Kim Diehl and Spirit Albarn separately concocting magic that leads Soul to wonder whether he is attracted to Maka and causing Maka, under the effects of a love potion, to desire Soul. Despite this interpretation and their closeness, neither the anime or manga actually depict both Soul and Maka as an official couple or having confirmed romantic feelings. According to Atsushi Ōkubo in an interview, he stated himself (at the time frame the interview took place)of not planning to developing the main cast's female/male relations beyond normal, trusting relationships.
- Soul's shoes are almost identical to the ones worn by a character named Rodigy from Okubo's later work, B.Ichi, in which his shoes are black with yellow triangles on the sides.
- Soul's headband has a rectangular sticker with the word "SOUL" and a circular sticker with a mouth and the letters E-A-T. These stickers refer to his stage name, "Soul Eater." The E-A-T sticker also may allude to his status as an EAT student at DWMA.
- In Chapter 69, the round E-A-T sticker that was on Soul's sweatband seems now to be stuck to his locker.
- In the Official popularity poll taken by the manga's readers, Soul ranked 4th in Soul Eater manga.
- In Chapter 53, part of Soul's design may be based on that of Emine from Atsushi Ohkubo's previous manga, B. Ichi: both characters have white hair and red eyes and wear shoes with teeth marks on their soles.
- Soul's theme song is "So Scandalous." He also has a character song with his meister Maka Albarn, "Mauve Iro no Sympathy."
- In Volume 18 of the Soul Eater manga (which contained the Spartoi's adventures through the Book of Eibon), Atsushi Ōkubo created a horse-racing style table of the Soul Eater characters who have had their genders switched, and made a race as to who is the most lustful out of them all in a 'Lust Race.' Soul was given a racehorse name along with the other characters. His name was Soul Teio, probably named after the famous Japanese racehorse, Tokai Teio. His popularity level was 28.
- Soul's chest scar was mistakenly mirrored in Chapter 42.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 https://twitter.com/Atsushi_Ohkubo/status/645149738245816320
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 84
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 111
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Prologue 1
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 62
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 113
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 55, Chapter 84
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 13. Anime: Episode 14
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 25. Anime: Episode 24
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 49
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 36
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 18
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 4
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 83
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 107
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 112 - Crona: “I just want to repay you, Maka. You’ve always given me courage. You understand, right Soul?” Chapter 113. Soul: “Thanks to you, I stopped running from my problems. This is the sound we created together, remember?
- ↑ Soul Eater Drama CD 2: My Heart Full of Love
- ↑ Soul Eater Premium Drama CD: Beware the Sexy Magic!
- ↑ Soul Eater Guidebook: How to Make a Death Scythe
|One-Star||Hero • Tom • Soul's admirer • Soul's proposer • CronaAnime|
|Two-Star||Black☆Star • Death the Kid • Kilik Rung • Maka Albarn • Ox Ford • Kim Diehl|
|Three-Star||Alexandre • Franken Stein • Sid Barett • Enrique • Zubaidah|
|One-Star||Tom's partner • RagnarokAnime|
|Two-Star||Elizabeth Thompson • Harvar D. Éclair • Patricia Thompson • Fire • Thunder • Soul "Eater" Evans • Tsubaki Nakatsukasa • Jacqueline O'Lantern Dupré|
|Three-Star||Mira Naigus • Spirit Albarn • Azusa Yumi • Tezca Tlipoca • Marie Mjolnir|
|Deceased (Three-Star)||Death • Feodor|
|Graduated||Joe Buttataki • Auntie|
|Deceased (Three-Star)||Tsar Pushka|
|Defection (Three-Star)||Justin Law|