"I've always been an enthusiastic educator! That's the kind of man I was!"
Sid Barett (死人（シド）・バレット, Shido Baretto; Literally meaning "Dead Person"), is a former DWMA instructor who was killed by the witch, Shaula Gorgon, and was subsequently turned into a zombie by Dr. Stein
Sid was known as a great instructor in Shibusen, being a highly respected teacher for his skill and love for teaching students. However, he would later be subsequently killed by a witch and revived as a zombie by Stein.
As one of Shibusen's finest instructors, Sid is known to be an encouraging figure and is one of the more serious instructors with little eccentricities. Occasionally, he goes on stating the kind of man he is. Overall, he loves each and every one of his students and takes pride in teaching them. He's also very formal and gentleman like, even admitting that it is unlike himself to keep secrets, lie, and pry into other's business. When turned into a zombie, he remains the same. He would occasionally talk about the kind of of man he was prior to his death.
When Sid was alive, he was a muscular, dark-skinned man with cornrowed hair and black Japanese tattoos on both his arms which still remain in his current form. The kanji shown in the tattoo on his shoulder stands for "Death", and the arrow under it stands for "Person". While Sid was alive, he also appeared with a headband that had the writing meaning "Hole" upon it but, after his transformation into a zombie, an actual hole through his head is now present where the writing once appeared.
After becoming a zombie, his skin has adopted a bluish tone and his face is composed of a flat, piggish nose, with pupiless white eyes and a mouth that persistently displays his top and bottom teeth. Despite being undead, he still retains the full extent of both his hair and physical build.
Although Sid's clothing remains largely the same no matter what his own current condition is, it changes drastically to suit what the day-to-day circumstances entail. During normal everyday proceedings, he is commonly seen wearing blue jeans with a small chain hanging from one side and sneakers, accompanied by one of his various tops. Earlier in the series, this top is a simple white basketball jersey, embellished with a red number "23" on either side or his forename higher up on its back. Later, this changes to a red t-shirt with the image of a white, silhouetted tombstone upon either side while the word "tomb" is shown within the design on the front. Aside from his top, he is normally seen with a beanie hat, likely to cover the hole through his forehead.
However, when conducting an operation for Shibusen, Sid dons more appropriate garments befitting his present role. These typically comprise of an entirely black, sleeveless flak jacket, military combat pants and combat boots. These are accompanied by a forehead protector, iron bands encircling his wrists and further metal protectors on his ankles.
During the attack on Noah's group Sid has suffered severe damage from Noah's attacks as he now seems to have lost one of his arms. As of Chapter 89, it is shown that Sid's arm has been replaced, with stitch marks similar to the ones found on Stein and some of his patients such as Soul.
- Sid's name in Japanese is written "Shido" and spelled with the characters meaning "dead" and "person", a fitting reference to his current status as a Zombie.
- When fighting with Maka and Soul on the graveyard, Sid was mimicking the sound of school bell (kill kon kan kun), replacing the "kin"/"kil" with "kill".
- Unlike Black☆Star, Sid actually follows The Assassin's Rules.
- Sid is 25 years of age, making him about 12 when he adopted Black☆Star.
- Sid is more of a pervert in the manga, as seen at the end of his fight in his first appearance in which he reacts wildly to Black Star lifting Tsubaki's skirt. The manga would hint at this detail later, such as his reaction when Kim Diehl informs him that Hero is spying on girls in the locker room.
- Sid's catchphrase is "The kind of man I was," as a way of describing himself that calls attention to his undead nature. In the first anime and in Soul Eater NOT! Sid, before his death, says, "That's the kind of man I am".
- His name is a possible reference to Syd Barett, the guitarist from Pink Floyd. This is one of many allusions to Pink Floyd in Soul Eater: Maka will request from the Index a copy of a book title Dark Side of the Moon, which is also the title to one of Pink Floyd's albums, and that same title, "Dark Side of the Moon," serves as the title to the manga's final arc.
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 70
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 57
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 70, Yen Press English translation, Volume 17, Page 103: "I am twenty-five years of age, ma'am."