The Shinigami possess the appearance of that of a human. However, a Shinigami can also assume an inhuman form, much like Death has. (It's possible that he also retains a human form as well.) Perhaps the most known attribute of the Death God is the Lines Of Sanzu, which seem to be the source of their power. Both it's appearance and how much it is connected depends on both the individual Shinigami and their age.
A Shinigami is capable of reproduction, such beings possessing groins. According to Excalibur however, number of Shinigamis as a race is small due to the fact that it's unnecessary to have dozens of them.
Shinigamis can asexually reproduce by creating fragments of themselves and create a being. These beings, rather then be a replicate of the parent, can spawn off their own personality. The parent Shinigami is able to either make them "complete" or "incomplete" and carry over their per-existing traits (such as Death the Kid's inheriting of the Madness of Order and being born without fear due to Asura harboring Death's former fears within him.).
While a fragment will have the Soul Wavelength of their parent within their soul, after two connections of the Lines of Sanzu, a Death God can forfeit their own parent's Soul Wavelength with their soul..
Role and SignificanceEdit
The role of a Shinigami is the maintaining of balance and equilibrium between good and evil. As such, they're often perceived to have surpassed human understanding as well as being the very symbol of Order itself.
In addition, Shinigamis are also authorities the authorities over souls. Despite their purpose, however, they're mistakenly often thought of to preside over people's lives and death as well as being absolute authorities of Order itself. As gods, they're also worshiped
Types of ShinigamiEdit
There are several types of Shinigamis:
- Immature: An "Immature" Shinigami refers to a Death God who was born with incomplete Lines of Sanzu, which is something decided by the parent. Because of this, as a Death God grows, their control of the Lines of Sanzu and power expands dependent on age.
- Mature: A Mature Shinigami refers to a Death God who is born with complete Lines of Sanzu. Not much is known about this beyond the fact that a mature Death God, unlike their immature counterparts, is born with all their Lines of Sanzu complete. These Shinigamis can co-exist with even a True Death God for some unknown reason.
- True: A True Shinigami is an individual who possesses all three connected Lines of Sanzu, making them extremely powerful and allowing them to utilize the Madness of Order. They can also create fragments to later be their successor, even having control over the "maturity" their fragment initially are. The drawback is that only one True Shinigami can exist at a time and whenever a successor connects the three Lines of Sanzu, the then-current True Shinigami is killed.
These beings are perhaps the most powerful type of race in the world, possessing a high amount of raw power as well as special advantages over normal beings within the world. Although each Death God has their own, unique abilities, most of them display the same abilities such as:
- Shinigami Powers (死神の力, Shinigami no chikara): Originating from the Lines of Sanzu are special, divine powers capable of being performed by a Death God. It appears some some sort of force similar to that of Magic, though is also independent of it. It can follow a Death God's particular theme.
- Immortality (不死, Fushi): A Death God is capable of being immortal, unable to be killed by any means. This is due to them being an embodiment of a particular concept (such as fear). This also allows them to be capable of living for long amounts of times (approximately over eight centuries) while retaining a youthful appearance and suffering no consequence of old age.
- Unique Physiology: Their skin are immune to sunburns , extreme temperatures, and repels everything such as poisons and cosmetics such as hair dye. It's also speculated that the effects of Demonic Energy from those such as the Magnetic Field doesn't affect them as much. Thy're also capable of powerful regeneration and depending on the Death God, can reattaching their body parts.
List of ShinigamisEdit
Main article: Category:Shinigami