"Witches are the total enemy of DWMA. I cannot afford to be found.I must conceal my past to live. But that is just for now. A witch's instinct is for destruction. I will teach them a lesson in the despair and loneliness that I've experienced up until now."
|Anime • Manga
Shaula Gorgon as she appears in the Soul Eater NOT!
|Alias/Nicknames|| Alluding Scorpion(ほのめかしスコーピオン, Honomekashi Sukōpion)|
Lady Shaula (Redi Shaura)
|Relation(s)|| Arachne (Older Sister)|
Medusa (Older Sister)
|Real World Data|
|Voice Actor(s)/Seiyu||Ami Koshimizu (Japanese)|
|Manga Debut||Chapter #6 (Not!)|
|Anime Debut||Episode 1 (Not!)|
|(Image Gallery) (List of Appearances)|
Shaula, like her older sibling Medusa, shares an interest in experimental research, driven by the singular interest in destroying the organization known as Shibusen[sourcing needed]. It is since she seemed to have developed into a strong sense of ambition but at the cost of her becoming both boastful and conceited. Rather like Medusa, she remains composed even while being dismissive of her previous experiments, especially of those whom are not deemed useful any longer. She seems to be using these Traitors as prototypes to further the creation of a being capable of defeating the students of Shibusen, an objective which is strangely similar to those of her relations. She also seems to share Arachne's fondness of lavish and high-quality things, demonstrated by the various furnishings that adorn her initial office.
Shaula is a sinister individual, having immense hatred against those align with Shibusen. She holds no remorse in manipulating others with mind control to her own means and even seems to enjoy doing so. Rarely, has she been seen losing her composure much like her sisters. She's not above taking advantage of others much like her sisters. She's seems to have no regard for taking any sort of human life & takes joy in taking it. She finds the concept of friendship and compassion meaningless, looking at it as humans trying to fill a void in their heart. She even finds the concept of a Soul Resonance foolish and hypocrisy from Shibusen.
She's somewhat flirtatious, as seen when she lifted Meme's skirt when possessing her as she spoke to Sid Barrett. She also has some sort of sense of humor, telling Akane with Meme's body to show her "some of his killer moves". She even refered to Sid as "Sid-sensei", which would be unusual for a witch to refer to a teacher as such when she would also call him by his name.
However, unlike any of her sisters, she is motivated by what seems to be more of a personal reason. Though it is still unclear, she has mention several times that she is "lonely" due to the actions of Shibusen. This may come from the fact that Witches are generally hunted by potential deathscythes for their souls & live with the constant danger that their lives may end for an individual to become a Deathscythe. She also mentions when her plans seem to work that she'll enjoy "being able to hunt for once".
Shaula, unlike her sisters, demonstrates all the qualities of a typical teenage girl rather than those of a mature woman, leading to the assertion that she is the youngest amongst her two siblings. Her pale and unblemished complexion serves to accentuate her slender facial features, which are characterized by the unusual iris displayed by both of her eyes, a trait seemingly shared by all the members of her immediate family. Alluding to her scorpion theme, this distinctive feature takes the shape of two interlocking scorpion stingers, which together form one complete circle located at the center of each eye(which also looks like the yin yang to some viewers). Continuing with this motif, her floral patterned or headscarf covered hair is arranged into a long loose plait that ends in the shape of a scorpion's stinger, through the use of an appropriately tied bow, an aspect that is further mirrored by an ornamental earring dangling from her right ear.
Befitting her age, Shaula's typical attire consists of a long-sleeved sailor outfit that has been adopted by many Japanese schools as their standard uniform. However, unlike most variations, hers displays the symbol of the star sign "Scorpio" (♏) as a small emblem, located on the visible portion of her vest beneath her sailor collar. This collar has two stripes running across it, one that goes along its entirety and another that terminates partway across the front.
- Whilst Medusa and Arachne's names are derived from Greek mythology, Shaula's name instead comes from both astronomy and astrology. The name "Shaula" is the traditional Arabic name for a star system called Lambda Scorpii, which is a part of the constellation of Scorpius. It roughly translates to "the raised [tail], as it is found in the tail of the scorpion (Scorpius)". Given the fact that Shaula's emblem is that of the symbol of the star sign, Scorpio (♏), and she has the theme of scorpion stingers in her appearance, her name befits these other allusions.
- Ironically, she is the youngest of the Gorgons but the first in the chronology of the entire Soul Eater manga franchise to have been truly defeated. (Arachne doesn't count since she was still alive hiding in spider form at the time of Soul Eater NOT!)
- In Chapter 41 of the Soul Eater NOT! manga, Shaula's uniform is shown to have arrows along the collar, similar to the arrows present on the outfit of her sister, Medusa.
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Anime: Episode 6)
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Chapter 6, pages 8-9
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 40
- ↑ The Beginning of the Nightmare!
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Anime: Episode 5
- ↑ Soul Resonance!
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Chapter 6, page 9