|Original | Mini-Ragnarok|
|List of Appearances | Gallery|
Ragnarok (ラグナロク, Ragunaroku), also known as the Demon Sword, is the Demon Sword Demon Weapon partner of Crona and a reoccurring antagonist along with his partner throughout Soul Eater. Born a normal demon weapon, he was melted by Medusa in a vat of Black Blood while in his weapon form and mixed into Crona's blood.
|“||I hardened the blood around your wound to stop the bleeding, do I get a "thank you"? [Yeah, thank you.] "Thank you very much"! ARE YOU GONNA MAKE ME HURT YOU?!||”|
In great contrast to his meister's meek and mild manner of speech and submissive personality, Ragnarok is loud-mouthed, rude and confident. He believes he and his meister are capable of overcoming any opponent, regardless of how good or bad they actually are at fighting. He is also very violent and easily angered, especially around Maka. Ragnarok has also displayed a habit of calling other people names, such as when he calls Maka a cow, a sow, and an idiot, and Dr Stein a "screwhead".
Ragnarok loves to degrade and pester Crona (even during fights) by giving them noogies, pinching their nose, hitting them on the head, or taking their food. When they finally tell Ragnarok to stop, Ragnarok seems surprised at Crona's reaction, hinting that this is not meant in a malicious way.
When it comes to Crona, Ragnarok can be very controlling. When Dr Stein met Crona and Ragnarok for the first time, he took one look at their souls and immediately concluded that Ragnarok wàs the dominant partner out of the two. He sometimes threatens Crona with sleep deprivation or hunger to get them to perform better in battle. Ragnarok has also been shown to be possessive of Crona. When Maka and Soul befriended Crona, Ragnarok reacted violently, trying to fight Maka and telling her that Crona is his and she can't have them.
He is slightly perverted, since when Crona finally stood up to him he acted like an understanding guy while at the same time pulling up Crona's dress. He also flipped Maka's skirt, but then commented that Maka doesn't have anything to look at under there.
He tends to use Crona as a human shield against non-deadly attacks, such as the Maka Chop. He does worry about Crona's health and will try to help them by stopping their bleeding wounds. However, Ragnarok will always ask for thanks afterwards. He also gives Crona constant vocal motivation during battles, whether they be instructions, compliments or threats.
Even after Crona becomes part of Shibusen, he still desires to eat any soul but this is hindered by Crona, who claims they are not doing that anymore. His taste for normal food seems to have substituted his desire to eat souls, as he has a ravenous appetite.
He is often implied to be insane, presumably caused by him eating so many innocent souls. Though his soul wavelength was evened out after these souls were confiscated, his mental state remained the same. However, it is worth noting that he was under the influence of Medusa throughout early encounters, and some of his blood-lust has apparently been laid off. It is also implied, at certain moments, that Ragnarok is afraid of her, as he refers to her as Lady Medusa, and in the anime, he hesitates before he and Crona fight with her.
Ragnarok has only expressed heroic intent once while fighting the Oldest Golem. Although driven by a bribe from Maka claiming that she would give him as much candy as he pleases, he still shows a distant change in personality when he begins to fight the Golem. He even seems a bit friendlier to Crona by motivating and listening to Crona's commands. Ragnarok's most heroic quote from this fight occurs when he motivates Crona to engage in battle with Arachne saying; "Go after her Crona! Kill the witch!"
This kindness is also shown in the anime when Crona has saved Maka from Medusa. He emerges from the Black Blood and says how it's all because of her that they are dying, but adds "But at least you're here with stupid Crona at the end."
- Crona is Ragnarok's meister, as well as his host body. When Crona was a child, Medusa melted down Ragnarok, at that time a regular weapon, and combined him with Black Blood. She then injected this mixture into Crona's own blood, creating an unwilling symbiosis and permanently fusing Crona with Ragnarok.
- Ragnarok is a playful character, and acts like an annoying older brother to Crona. He often gives the meister noogies, steals their food, plays with their nose, and even lifted up Crona's robe at one point, almost exposing their underwear. Whenever Ragnarok is angry with his meister, he will not hesitate to pop out of them and begin attacking them in an annoying, playful, but slightly violent way. He also uses Crona as a human shield at times, notably only for non-lethal attacks, like Maka Chop.
- However, despite his teasing, Ragnarok does seem to care about Crona. He heals Crona whenever needed (although always pestering for a "thank you very much" afterwards) and provides constant vocal motivation during battle. Ragnarok realizes that if Crona dies, he will die too, ultimately driving him to protect his meister as much as possible.
- Maka Albarn
- Ragnarok does not seem to like Maka Albarn, frequently referring to her, as he does many girls and women, a cow. Ragnarok blames Maka for convincing Crona to stop eating pure souls, an activity that he thoroughly enjoyed. Maka is also partially responsible when his size decreased; in the manga, Maka's victory in their duel led to Crona being held by the DWMA so Death could remove all of his souls, shrinking him. In the anime, Maka's own Anti-Magic Wavelength shrinks him. Ragnarok's dislike of Maka also may be because she convinced Crona to go against Medusa, whom Ragnarok fears.
- Ragnarok also acts slightly perverted around Maka, probably to insult her.
- Despite all of his dislike for Maka, however, Ragnarok does save her from the Oldest Golem, only after she claims that she will give him fifteen pieces of candy. Ragnarok even compliments Maka as knowing how to haggle, although he takes some pride that he was able to negotiate her to a much higher number of pieces of candy than the three he would have been willing to accept.
- In subsequent chapters, Crona forgets who Maka is. Whether Ragnarok forgets Maka as well is unclear, although not only does Ragnarok cease to refer to Maka in later chapters, but after a certain point in the manga, Ragnarok no longer speaks.
- In the anime, Ragnarok also blamed Maka when Crona acted as a shield to protect Maka from Medusa's Vector Arrow, stabbing Crona and therefore almost killing him along with Crona. As Ragnarok dissolves into Black Blood from Crona's wound, he chastises Maka's kindness towards Crona as weakening his meister's resolve, leading to Crona's willingness to sacrifice life for Maka as well as Ragnarok's own life. However, as Ragnarok felt like he was dying, he took solace that at least Crona would be around someone like Maka who had legitimate love and concern for his meister. Regardless of this outrage that Ragnarok expressed upon his near-death, after the defeat of Asura and Crona's recovery, Ragnarok is seen with Crona in Maka and Soul's apartment, presumably living there as well.
- She is the one who melted him down and put him inside Crona. Because he therefore suffers the same abuse and torture as Crona, Ragnarok fears and respects her. He is reluctant to turn against her and has expressed interest in seeing what kind of chaos Medusa can spread, as when he observed Medusa possessing the body of Rachel Boyd, he asked Crona to help her infiltrate the DWMA to see what would happen.
- The Black Clown
- The Black Clown, Crona, and Ragnarok share a odd symbiosis with each other. The Black Clown and Ragnarok are both made of Black Blood, so they can fuse together to make four arms for Crona and three exact copies of Ragnarok. When merged with Crona, attributes of both of their souls are mixed with Crona's: the Black Clown's head and grin appear on Crona's soul, alongside the X across Ragnarok's face, his bulging eyes, and his large teeth.
- Tsubaki Nakatsukasa
- Ragnarok says that he does not like Tsubaki's personality, but he does say that he likes her cooking so much that he says that Crona should get a weapon like her. In the anime, Ragnarok's criticism of Tsubaki extends to her appearance, much to her anger, yet Tsubaki herself looks pleased as she feeds candy to Ragnarok.
Ragnarok stretches out of Crona's back, as he is physically merged with Crona's blood. Ragnarok has a very muscular body, large gloved hands, and spikes on several parts of his body, but no legs. His face consists of a large egg shape, with no visible mouth and a giant white X on his face where his nose should be, with large ping-pong ball-like eyes with Xs for pupils. As the series progressed, Ragnarok becomes even more muscular and large, showing his continuation to eat innocent souls.
However, after Death confiscates the souls he has eaten (He had his soul cleansed by Maka in the anime), his size shrinks considerably. In this chibi form, he looks similar but different; his head and hands are spherical, his body is much smaller and his muscles are less defined.
After Crona returns to Medusa's side and disappears for quite some time, Ragnarok grows once again, but still not eating as many souls as before, he appears taller, with a lean, slim body.
Ragnarok's soul is red and has the giant 'X' that is present on the center of his face. After the absorption of a vast amount of innocent souls, resulting in his Black Dragon form, where two thin wings are extended outwards from the top of his soul.
- Black Sword (暗黒剤, Ankoku Ken): Ragnarok's weapon transformation allows him to takee the form of a long, large, black Scandinavian broadsword with a grey hilt, a white stripe down the middle and spikes around the guard which resemble those on Ragnarok's ordinary body. Such a transformation is powerful enough to easily cut through human flesh as well as have special techniques.
- Wavelength Control (波長コントロール, Hachō Kontorōru): As a Demon Weapon, he can control his own Meister's wavelength.
- Scream Resonance (悲鳴共鳴, Himei Kyōmei): A special type of Soul Resonance in which utilizes a high-pitched scream during the resonance process emitted from Ragnarok's mouth. This sound wave makes Ragnarok vibrate like an electric saw, increasing his cutting power, and can also radiate through the air causing internal damage to an opponent even weapons within their Demon Weapon form. Only a powerful Death Scythe like Spirit Albarn can face the Screech Resonance without any pain.
Black Blood (黒血, Kokketsu): Having been melted into a vat full of Black Blood by Medusa, Ragnarok's form is modified from the Black Blood and grants him various abilities to himself and his Meister, Crona. aka remarked that it's because of Ragnarok's support over their muscle system along with their movements is that Crona can perform extraordinary, strength-related feats such as blocking the Witch-Hunt with a single arm. He also regulates Crona's blood and hardens it to prevent it from damaging Crona. This capability is powerful enough to block out attacks from the Demon Scythe.
- Transformation (変身, Henshin): Using the Black Blood's manipulation abilities, Ragnarok can morph the Black Blood into transformations.
- Real Black Dragon (真の黒龍, Shin no Kokuryū): A special transformation of Rangarok's own with the Black Blood after absorbing the souls on the Ghost Ship Nidhogg (in which was called the Black Dragon). Seemingly modelling from the experience, Ragnarok transformed into a vaguely, dragon-like creature. For Crona, this allows them to have wings for flight.
- Partnered with Crona
Main article: Crona#Equipment
At some point, he was taken by the Witch, Medusa Gorgon, and melted in a vat of Black Blood in his weapon form, becoming mixed . Miraculously surviving the event, he was then poured into Crona's bloodstream, mixing both the power of a Meister and a Demon Weapon and creating a engineered type of bond.
- Ragnarok possesses a variety of references to Viking lore - most notably his name, which comes from the Ragnarök series of events within Norse mythology. Given his status as a Demon Sword, Crona's supposed need to become a world-destroying Kishin and Medusa's stance on evolution, his name is appropriate; the Ragnarök events dictate the end of the world and the emergence of a new and better one afterwards. Also, he takes the weapon form of a Scandinavian broadsword, with Scandinavia being the Viking homeland.
- Fire Brigade of Flames, also created by Soul Eater creator Atsushi Ōkubo, features a Fire Demon, a character with simplistic eyes, no obvious face, and who shouts "PIGGY"—all similar to Ragnarok's appearance.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 24 — Stein: At the beginning, Ragnarok was just an ordinary demon weapon. But it was melted in a vat of Black Blood......and all of the Blood in Crona's body was replaced with that Black Blood mixture.
- ↑ Volume 7, Chapter 24, Yen Press translation. "Not so fast, you dirty rotton sows!!" (To Maka and Marie)
- ↑ Chapter 5, Volume 2, Yen Press translation. "Gupyaa! ♪ Die!! Screw-head four-eyes!!"
- ↑ Chapter 5, Volume 2, Yen Press translation. "He's gone!! That screw-head asshole disappeared somewhere!! What the Hell!!?"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Volume 7, Chapter 24. "I actually though I might get turned on by seeing your panties, but they pretty much suck, you ugly cow." (Ragnarok after pulling up Maka's skirt to look at her knickers)
- ↑ This exact translation is from the English Dub of Episode 27.
- ↑ In the Yen Press translation of the Manga (Chapter 26, Volume 7), he says: "Yeah, Crona!! Kill the bitch!! That's more like it!! Pigyi-hoooi!!"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Soul Eater, English Dub, Episode 45. "Yeah, you suck. But at least you're here with stupid Crona at the end."
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 25
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 5
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 18
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga Chapter 14
- ↑ Fire Brigade of Flames Manga: Chapter 49, Page 17
|One-Star||Hero • Tom • Soul's admirer • Soul's proposer • CronaAnime|
|Two-Star||Black☆Star • Death the Kid • Kilik Rung • Maka Albarn • Ox Ford • Kim Diehl|
|Three-Star||Alexandre • Franken Stein • Sid Barett • Enrique • Zubaidah|
|One-Star||Tom's partner • RagnarokAnime|
|Two-Star||Elizabeth Thompson • Harvar D. Éclair • Patricia Thompson • Fire • Thunder • Soul "Eater" Evans • Tsubaki Nakatsukasa • Jacqueline O'Lantern Dupré|
|Three-Star||Mira Naigus • Spirit Albarn • Azusa Yumi • Tezca Tlipoca • Marie Mjolnir|
|Deceased (Three-Star)||Death • Feodor|
|Graduated||Joe Buttataki • Auntie|
|Deceased (Three-Star)||Tsar Pushka|
|Defection (Three-Star)||Justin Law|
|Spies||Crona • Ragnarok • Eruka Frog • Free • Mizune Family|