Directory: Characters → Franken Stein
|Voiced by (English)||
Doctor Franken Stein (フランケン シュタインは, Furanken Shutain) is the man that changed Sid into a zombie. He is based on the central characters from Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein, an amalgamation of the mad scientist Frankenstein and his monster. He currently is considered the strongest Meister to ever graduate from the DWMA.
|“||Let's see, how should I begin my experiment?||”|
—Franken Stein, Episode 5
Being a man of science, Dr. Stein sees everything in the world, including himself, as an experiment. This is the personality that he had as a child, as he often wanted to dissect the people around him. He was often stopped by Spirit. This personality trait made all those around him afraid of him. This strange hobby of wanting to dissect anything he thinks is interesting was still present, even when Stein became an adult, and once as part of a lesson, tried to have his class dissect an endangered animal, claiming that it would be bad if he did not find out anything from it before it became extinct. Stitching across his face suggests that he had worked on himself at one point.
He also exhibits a sadistic and intimidating personality. During his battle against Maka and Black Star, he grabbed Maka by one of her pigtails, lifted her shirt up and drew marks on her body, to signify where he would put the knife through, and ponders if he should turn her skin into sand paper. When Black Star tried to attack him, he countered by knocking Black Star out in a seemingly painful and bloody manner. His smiles are normally filled with sadistic intentions.
Stein seems to have dormant madness. He has even admitted that he is especially sensitive to it. Stein ultimately did go insane and struggled to maintain it. He even quit smoking as a way to convince himself.
Emotionally, Nygus has described him as always alone and that he has no love in him. He has admitted that he can't understand Spirit's reaction to Maka asking him to go out shopping. This shows he can't feel deep emotions other than the need to dissect whatever interests or irritates him. This tendency likely seems to be more destructive or psychotic, which explains his dormant madness. He is depicted as morally bankrupt, at least back in his youth. In Sid's flashback, he questioned Sid's decision to adopt Black Star, who was a baby. This suggests that if it were Stein's decision, he would have left Black Star. His immorality is supported further by his repeated experiments on Spirit back when they were kids.
Despite this cruel and twisted personality, Stein does have a kind and compassionate side that worries for his friends and students and he feels the need to protect them. He also exhibits a rather paternal demeanor towards his students. He also expresses deep disgust and moral outrage towards Medusa for stating that she would abandon her own child, Crona, when he/she would become useless to her. It is never stated when this other personality arose.
Dr. Stein is a tall man with silver-gray hair and big, round glasses. He has a large screw/bolt going through his head, which he turns, often as a means to focus his thoughts. A signature hallmark of Stein's is his trademark zig-zag stitches. He has sewn stitches all over his body and clothing (his house is even covered in stitches). His most notable piece of clothing is his doctor's lab coat. He is also surprisingly well built for a man his age, due to a large portion of his time being devoted to combat training.
He is often seen with a caster-wheel chair. A running gag is despite his coordination; he often hits a ledge or frame and ends up falling backwards.
His soul is light blue featuring his trademark stitches and single giant screw.
As a child his bolt and glasses are noticeably absent. He is also much shorter and visibly smaller than Spirit. Though seen when they are older, Stein has clearly gotten much taller than Spirit. Oddly enough, at that age he had a similar physique to Crona or Death the Kid but his facial expressions resembled Soul Eater Evans.
- Master Combatant: Stein is not only a physically strong fighter but he is also well versed in numerous martial arts techniques. When combined with his high level of intelligence and adaptability, make for an extremely potent combination, so much so that he was able to effortlessly take down Maka and Black☆Star while still seated in his chair and even fend off Black☆Star in a sparring match later in the manga
- Spiritual Flexibility: Stein's understanding of soul wavelengths gives him a huge advantage against other users, since he can manipulate his own to match the others wavelength and thereby nullify or disrupt the soul wavelength attacks (such as Black☆Star's Big Wave or a Witch-Hunt Slash). This comes from his high wavelength flexibility and accurate observation of his opponent beforehand. He is also capable of greatly modifying his own wavelength so as to make use of any weapon he is paired with. However, his soul wavelength is so high that he does not need a weapon, and can instead channel it through his body and release it upon physical contact with an enemy, a technique known as Soul Menace. Stein can also modify his soul's wavelengths into Soul Thread Sutures, which has a variety of uses but requires a Weapon to work. Spirit had commented that he can also match his wavelength with any weapon. He also has shown to wield even Death Scythes.
- Soul Studies Master: Stein is immensely knowledgeable in the Soul Studies field. He normally provides explanations throughout Soul Eater and has been reputed to be a exceptionally great teacher when teaching this subject.
- Genius Intellect: As a scientist, Stein seems to have a high amount of intelligence. He is very observant  , according to Death. Because of this, Death sees him as a trusted advisor and friend. This trust went so far as to making him a permanent DWMA teacher.
- Versatile Meister: He has displayed incredible proficiency in wielding the various weapon forms of whichever Weapon partner he's working with. For instance, he's able to wield a scythe or a hammer/tonfa, displaying mastery of them within moments of wielding them.
Soul Thread Sutures: It works by attacking an individual with your own soul wavelength and having both the weapon and meister concentrate on the soul wavelength residue that is still inside of an enemy, causing the residue soul wavelength to attach itself through the skin to a surface, locking their movements and leaving them open for attacks.
Soul Menace: An attack in which resonating with one's own soul the user can drive their own soul wavelength directly into an opponent's body through a physical strike on them. Though an incompatible Wavelength can cause strong direct and internal damage.
- Successive Palm Soul Menace - Three Extremes "Wèi" "Wú" "Shǔ":A variation of the Soul Menace technique, that instead rapidly hits an opponent three times in succession, using the same fist.
- Two Palm Soul Menace - Twin Spears:A variation of the attack, Soul Menace, that instead makes use of both hands, rather than just one.
Experimental Ectoplasm: Using his wavelength it creates a large marshmallow like spirit body which expands to around 5 times Stein's size and temporarily protects him from all incoming attacks.
Witch-Hunt: a traditional Soul Resonance attack used by scythe meisters. Stein used this technique to fend off Medusa's Vector Arrows.
With Marie Mjolnir
Lightning Rope:Encircling her meister's wrist with numerous black tendrils, which emerge from the handle of her weapon form, she is able to directly interface with their body's nervous system. By then flowing electricity into the meister's motor nerves, this stimulates the individual's neural synapses to their utmost limits, dramatically increasing their locomotive and reactionary skills as a consequence. The extent of this enhancement is such, that the meister's resultant movements become almost impossible to perceive by the naked eye, giving the illusion that they are undergoing teleportation rather than simple physical movement.
- Stein was Spirit's meister before Maka's mother made him a Death Scythe. While working with Spirit, Stein would often conduct experiments on him during his sleep. They still retain their strong friendship from back when they were partners, despite the fact that Spirit is still somewhat traumatized by Stein's past procedures. Outside of battles, Stein often likes to tease Spirit about these events and is clearly very amused with the reactions he is able to provoke from his former partner, which is not very surprising considering that Spirit constantly refers to Stein as being overly sadistic. This fact is clearly illustrated when Stein jokes that he switched Spirit's left and right middle toes with each other, causing Spirit to immediately remove his shoes to see if what Stein had claimed to have done was true. Stein frequently ridicules Spirit in a calm way, even going as far as calling Spirit an "idiot" on several occasions, just to set Spirit's fuse off and have him lash out at Stein. However, Stein is shown to still have a soft side for Spirit as he still refers to him as "Senpai", even though Stein is commonly displayed as the superior.
- Marie is assigned to be Stein's new partner as her soul wavelength is supposed to have a calming effect on his madness. Stein was also apparently Marie's first love when they were still attending the DWMA. However these strong feelings seem to only be one-sided by Marie. It is possible that Marie never openly expressed her romantic feelings towards Stein in the past, and tries to hide them, as Stein appears to be completely unaware that he was Marie's first love. As a result of Marie's restraint, Stein only sees her as somewhat of a best friend. It is unknown if Stein would view her more passionately if she were to express her feelings towards him. It is also kept in mind that Stein has said that he is incapable of understanding love; however, this statement is slightly contradicted by his relationship with Medusa. Although, due to Stein's madness starting at a very young age, feelings such as love may not have developed at the normal age. It would be reasonable to assume that Stein may learn of love if it was given to him. Any possible romantic aspects of Stein and Marie are not explored much in either the anime or manga, though Stein is seen as being very, almost fiercely protective of Marie. It should also be noted that many of the people around the two insinuate romantic connection, such as when Spirit asks if the two were back from their little 'honeymoon' after returning from the search for Justin. By the time that the Kishin was defeated, it is assumed that the two have started a romantic relationship, as Marie is now carrying Stein's child.
- He seems to respect Lord Death immensely, apologizing to him after "breaking regulation". He also takes his requests when Lord Death wanted him to help some students on their Extra Lessons.  and turned Sid into a Zombie upon Lord Death's request. He has so much respect for him, Medusa mentions in the anime that Death will be one of the primary figures his mind will use during his descend into madness in a attempt to control himself from her spell.
- Sid Barrett
- Per request of Lord Death, Stein turned Sid into a Zombie, for a test involving Maka and Black Star. While Stein can't return Sid back to normal, Sid doesn't seem to mind, stating that he has much freedom now that he is dead.
- Yumi Azusa
- Stein appears to share a mutual disliking toward Azusa with Spirit. As the two simultaneously recognize her by her pet name; "Queen of Committee Chairmen" upon seeing her again in the halls of the DWMA for the first time in years. Stein complains that Azusa used to always lecture him whenever Stein attempted to dismember something in the past, however Spirit took Azusa's side whenever she did this.
- Medusa has consistently had strong feelings towards Stein, mainly because of their common interest in science and doing things they aren't supposed to. Medusa even went as far as to infect Marie with her snake, in order to drive Stein into madness, in the hopes that it would eventually lead him to her. The only sign of affection Stein returned was during the anniversary party at the DWMA where they almost shared a kiss, Stein seeming to not resist. Noticeably remaining perfectly still, until the kiss is stopped when Sid came shouting from the other side of the room. This is the end of any romantic insinuation between the two, as, later in the arc, Medusa tells Stein that she loves him and he promptly stabs her with Spirit. It often appears more that Medusa sees Stein as a toy to be played with; seeing him as a rather silly man but her sister Arachne revealed that Medusa does in fact have a crush on Stein.
Stein's first appearance in the manga occurs when Maka, Soul, Black Star and Tsubaki appear in front of his home, on orders to capture his soul by Lord Death. Stein provoked this order by transforming Sid into a zombie. He comes outside, after tripping and falling off of his chair, and takes note of the DWMA kids. Stein, using his advanced Soul Perception abilities, looks at Maka's and Soul's wavelength, and proceeds to tell them that, Maka's soul, who is serious and a hard worker, does not stabilize well with Soul's sarcastic and twisted soul.
Black Star then interrupts their conversation, stating how boring it is, and recommends them to start one strictly about himself. Stein then views Black Star's soul and states it is "a terribly self-absorbed soul." With that said Black Star proceeds to kick Stein, only to be blocked and quickly given a powerful punch. He then notices Black Star's partner, Tsubaki, and notes that her soul is very co-operative and has plenty of room to accept people. After that, Stein states he will start the session.
Despite the efforts of both Black Star and Maka, Stein easily dodges and counters all of their attacks, all the while still remaining seated on his chair. Stein then displays his powers by striking Maka's weapon and disrupting their wavelength. Stein then grabs Maka and threatens to dissect her, only to be interrupted by Black Star, who manages to connect his Big Wave. Unfortunately, it is ineffective, as Stein managed to match his wavelength with Black Star, nullifying the attack. He then attacks Black Star, releasing a Soul Menace upon Black Star, apparently killing him.
Soul, angered by this, proceeds to attack Stein, only to be stopped by Maka, who is daunted after seeing the size of Stein's soul, and concedes that the difference between their strength is insurmountable. Soul, however, refuses to give up and, through a small pep talk, manages to rekindle Maka's fighting spirit. Together, they conduct a resonance between their wavelengths and perform Witch-Hunt Slash. Stein is not daunted by this and takes the attack, barehanded. With some sign of actual effort, he manages to break it, knocking Maka away. Before he can put his hands on the fallen Maka, Soul appears and guards her. Stein, impressed, pats Soul on the head and gives him a passing grade for being willing to protect his Meister with his own body. He reveals that this was all a plan orchestrated by Lord Death and, as it turns out, Black Star was not killed, but merely knocked unconscious.
The next day, much to the dismay of the children, Stein is shown to be their new teacher.
The New Student and Soul Observation
As the new teacher, Stein decides to take a different route in his teaching by dissecting a natural world souvenir animal. He is, however, interrupted when he is forced to supervise the battle of Death the Kid against Soul and Black Star. He then preps Maka on the stability of Kid and his two weapons, Patti and Liz; noting that they respect and admire each other.
Demon Sword Ragnarok
After Maka and Soul initially encountered both Crona and Ragnarok, a battle ensued between the two pairs. The battle begins to go in Crona's favor and Maka looks to be in serious trouble. However, before the final blow is dealt on Maka, Spirit and Stein appears just in time to save Maka from Crona. With Maka saved, Spirit transforms into his weapon form, wielded by Stein, and prepares to do battle with Crona. During this battle, Stein deftly wields Spirit, blocking all of Crona's attempts to damage him and retaliating with his own devastating Soul Purge. After prolonged abuse by Stein, Crona is eventually defeated. It is then that Medusa, Crona's mother, appears. After scolding the unconscious Crona for failing, she proceeds to attack Stein with her Vector Arrow. Performing a Soul Resonance, Stein uses Witch-Hunt Slash to deflect the arrows. After this failed attempt, Medusa takes Crona and makes her escape.
Back in the infirmary, Stein confronts Maka and tells her that the procedure on Soul was a success. This cheers Maka up. Though, when confronted by Spirit, Stein reveals that the surgery was fine, but the Black Blood of Ragnarok has invaded Soul's body, and is unsure if he will be okay.
Post Kishin's Revival
After he tries to kill Medusa, and the Kishin revives, Stein mentions that the kishin's wavelength brings out the Madness in everyone. He himself notices that since his own madness is extremely large already, this effect could come to his madness possessing him. Lord Death also sees this, and has Death Scythe watch Stein closely. Marie Mjolnir is assigned to be Stein's new partner as her soul wavelength is supposed to have a calming effect on the madness. After Medusa takes the form of a little girl, she instructs Crona to slip a snake into Marie's coffee which increases Stein's madness wavelength, and at one time renders him unable to fight. Even without this magic, Stein is slowly losing the fight against his madness, and he knows it. Stein is implicated as the murderer of a fellow DWMA colleague, Joe Buttataki, but Death Scythe, Mira Nygus and Sid believe Stein is innocent and allow him to escape DWMA with Marie to find the real culprit.
Operation: Capture Baba Yaga's Castle
During the conclusion of the infiltration of Baba Yaga's castle, it is stated by Medusa that although she was present at B.J.'s murder she did not kill him and that Stein should be close to catching the culprit about now.
Tying Things Up, and New Beginnings
Stein only reappears after discovering the truth behind Joe's death, revealing that it was in fact Justin Law, a fellow death scythe, who had committed the murder. It is then explained that his and Marie's long absence was due largely to the difficulty in discovering Justin's current location. Marie firstly questions Justin about his reason for killing B.J., only receiving simply the reply that his "Soul Perception ability was too dangerous...the Kishin-sama was unable to rest easily". After hearing this and deducing that his next target was Maka, she charges towards him and hits him in the chest. It appears her attack has little effect but after extending part of her weapon from her fist, Justin is sent flying yet he still manages to recover in mid-air to land safely. Observing this ineffective result, Stein questions her on whether or not she was now even, before asking her to assume her weapon form so both her and Stein could go on the offensive. The resulting speed, enhanced by Marie's abilities, easily overwhelms Justin, who couldn't even re-act to their attacks, forcing him to retreat using an artifact. This leaves Marie and Stein in the desert outskirts of Death City, with nothing but the coffin Justin left behind.
When Stein and Marie eventually return to the DWMA, both they and Spirit are brought before Lord Death. They all proceed to apologize for their individual transgressions, with Stein focusing upon how his running away was in flagrant defiance of the regulations. Lord Death appears unfazed and simply asks for all of them to say sorry. Stein then reveals that he has uncovered proof of his innocence and of the true culprit. Marie takes out a tape recorder and plays back what was supposed to be their previous conversation with Justin, unfortunately all that was recorded was 5 full minutes of his background music. Stein smiles and light halfheartedly comments upon the situation, before Spirit reveals that he had been conducting his own investigation, proving Justin as B.J.'s murderer. Stein replies by stating the information they had discovered, specifically concerning Justin's acquaintance with someone with magical connections.
Stein is seen again discussing with the members of "Spartoi" as to what it the group’s name means and why it was changed.
Tezca, Sid, Nygus, Marie, and Stein arrive at Noah's place. Tezca is killed as soon as he walked in, then Sid and Stein are attacked by one of many of Noah's 'worm' things. Later on, he is restrained by Noah, however seems to be freed as the Spartoi members jump out the book. He refers to himself as "fatally injured", however he appears in later chapters having recovered.
Stein killed one of the Clowns that snuck on board the ship before landing on the Moon. Stein's personality seems to confuse his comrades. He remarked Marie and Spirit that he came to the Moon because he was allowed to "dissect" the enemies. When he was fighting, Spirit is worried and compared him to a Kishin. Stein fights against Justin and continuously dodges every single attack. He then managed to hit him directly with a powerful Soul Menace with Marie's help of channeling a massive amount of Stein's wavelength through her. Stein's mind is still normal even when he is deeply influenced by Madness.
Soul Eater Not!
- As the name suggests. Stein is a combination of Dr Frankenstein and his "creature" in Mary Shelley's novel, Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus. This includes his main mindset, as he wishes to live in a world "without God," setting his own rules rather than following those of some higher power.
- This is further shown by the fact that his attack "Soul Thread" closely resembles electricity and his current partner Marie's attacks center around electricity. The "creature" was given life via lightning and in a way runs on electricity.
- The screw/bolt in his head is another element that makes Stein resembles the Monster, as it's known to have two small bolts on the head or neck.
- A running gag in the series is that whenever Stein goes and sits on a rolling chair, he leaves rolling backwards and falls in the exit.
- In the official popularity poll taken by the manga's readers, Stein ranked 8th.
- "Shitai" which is part of Stein's name in Japanese (Shitaiin) means "corpse" in reference to his corpse-like appearance.
- Stein calls Spirit as "senpai"(Upper Classman) while Spirit calls him "kouhai"(junior), implying that Spirit is older than Stein.
- Stein always rotates his bolt clockwise.