Second-In-Command of Arachnophobia, Stewart
Over 800 Years Old
Age and Form Tranformation, Nose Manipulation, Soul Perception.
Though much of his history is unknown, He met Arachne at some point 800 years ago. He assisted her as a Valet until her "demise" at the hands of Death. After that, he spent 800 years expanding her Network and waited for her revival.
|“||Should I spell it out for you? Watch your mouth, or I'll beat you to a bloody pulp.||”|
—Mosquito, To Giriko
Mosquito is a very neat and formal person. He always presents himself very upright and respectfully, showing a mastered knowledge of manners and use of extensive vocabulary and proper speech. His personality adopts that of a trained butler's, to which he always presents himself when with his mistress, Arachne. He knows his place in all situations and is never driven to any form of misbehavior. In casual situations, Mosquito still retains a calm and formal demeanor, showing little to no emotion in his expression or tone of voice.
In his manner of treating others, Mosquito's personality and demeanor naturally changes dependent on the person's alignment and respect given to Mosquito himself, along with his own personal view of what level of status that person is. Upon a person who shows him respect, or at least common politeness, (in addition to an alignment with Arachnophobia) Mosquito usually presents himself by his usual calm and emotionless demeanor. If this person is of lower status to Mosquito, he will treat them with a reasonable inclination that he is their superior, while still giving them general respect as an ally. To a person of higher status than Mosquito, his level of courtesy grows substantially towards the individual, and presents himself as if he is at service to them at all times. However, upon an individual who does not present Mosquito with any form of respect, manners, or mutual alignment, Mosquito is very easily annoyed. He does not try to counter the disrespect with even more disrespect, but openly shows that he is becoming angry by informing the person that if he or she continues to anger him that he will engage in a battle they do not want to enter.
Mosquito is very passionate about being a head of Arachnophobia, and often motivates other members to serve with honor and passion just as he does. Many Arachnophobia members lean on Mosquito because of this, demonstrated during the battle for Brew, when Mosquito was able to make an Arachnophobia army cheer with passion twice, just by saying a few short sentences. Unlike Giriko and Arachne, He does actually consider the safety of those who fight for Arachnophobia. , though depending on the circumstances, he's not above using them(In one instance was him using a Researcher to heal himself. Another in the anime when Arachne ordered him to utilize the Madness Cannon in Arachnophobia. He showed some displeasure in resorting to such methods)
Mosquito is often pleasured by the progress of missions or research projects involving Arachnophobia. He also takes great enjoyment in Arachne's happiness the most. He will usually put everything on the line to accomplish missions or please her, which includes his own life. He becomes exponentially nervous when he has to be the barer of bad news about an ultimate failure in a mission or project, specifically because he must voice such unfortunate news directly to Arachne. He also becomes equally nervous when such failures are because of his own doing, however, he is very straight forward and admitting when explaining the failure, immediately addressing himself as the culprit in addition to insulting himself in the process.
He is very serious when it comes to enemies of Arachnophobia, especially personal enemies of Arachne. He takes no prisoners, and, if given prior permission, will result to end the life of any opponent or enemy of Arachnophobia. He takes particular hatred to Death Weapon Meister Academy, and shows no mercy when put in a situation where he has to deal with Academy students or agents. Towards more personal rivals of Arachne herself, he takes great caution in containing his immediate will to kill if given the order, such as when Medusa visited Baba Yaga Castle unwelcome. While in this state of containment, Mosquito will usually be seen with a fierce expression towards the individual which openly illustrates his acknowledgement of the individual being a foe.
Though he does have an honorable side to him. In the Battle for BREW in the Manga, the group was unable to defeat Mosquito due to his advantages in transformation to be able to say into the magnetic field. He explained that while their effort is futile, it was brave for them to try and he was willing to let them go, knowing that they weren't going to be able to defeat him due to his power, him having "Brew" and the magnetic field.
In battle, Mosquito reveals his inner darkness and intense temper, becoming very aggressive and frighteningly cruel.
His appearance is that of a short old man, with a height similar to that of a young child, with a large pointy nose and gray hair and mustache. He wears a classic wardrobe; consisting of a formal black suit and white shirt, completed with a black bow tie and a relatively large black top hat.
During the operation to capture the demon tool Brew, he chooses to adopt only the addition of a trench coat, to shield his body from the significantly cold temperature found at that location.
Mosquito's soul is largely bright pink in color, with three dark black extensions, seemingly representing a mosquito's nose and wings.
- Soul Perception: Mosquito possess the ability to sense souls. Though his proficiency in this is not on par compared to other users such as Professor Franken Stein, Death the Kid, Sid Barett, etc. However, he's proficient enough to recognize the Anti-Magic Demon Wavelength and, in the anime, sensed the demise of Arachne at the hands of Asura.
- Immense Soul Wavelength: Despite his initially small appearance, Mosquito has a immense wavelength. His power was so immense, in his 400 Years form, he easily overpowered Free and Death the Kid and held his own with Death the Kid, who was powered by BREW and connected the first line of Sanzu. Noah had opted out to kill him during his transformation to his most powerful form, and even stated himself he was "terrifyingly powerful".
- Vampiric Regeneration: one of Mosquito's most notable features is his large pointy nose and just like his namesake, it can be used to suck the blood out of a victim, allowing Mosquito to survive and recover from even the most severe of injuries such as losing an arm or being shot through the torso.
- Nose Shape Manipulation: his nose is manipulated for the majority of Mosquito's attacks, often using a combination of both a violent piercing motion and a sharp rotation, to inflict massive damage to an opponent.
- Expert Combatant: Despite his appearance and age, His skills enable him to hold his own against Giriko in his normal form. He was also able to hold his own against 3 of Shibusen's Top Students with their Demon Weapons at hand and gain the upperhand in his battle until they utilized Sound Chain Resonance(In the manga, they were unable to defeat him). He also initially outclassed Free and Death the Kid in his 400 Years form. He also fought on par with Death the Kid after connecting One of the Sanzu Lines.
- Age and Form Change: when engaging in battle, Mosquito is capable of transforming into a relatively stronger state, by reverting himself to age at which he was "younger". Using this ability he is able to gauge his power against strong opponents, while keeping his full power in reserve as a trump card. These forms not only dramatically change Mosquito's appearance but also provide just as dramatic changes within his body's physical properties. Also using it he can instantly heal all wounds and restore missing parts of body.
Nose Shape Manipulation Techniques
- Police Stinger: is one of Mosquito's moves and probably his most basic attacks. Using his nose, he extends it to a mid-range stinger, then subsequently pierces the enemy with it, draining their blood from his nose in the manner of the creature of his namesake.
- Three Piece Police Stinger: is an advanced form of Mosquito's Police Stinger. He begins this attack by firstly splitting his stinger into three separate stingers. These then begin to spin the stingers at a very rapid rate, before he subsequently charges towards the opponent.
Age and Form Change Techniques
- Form from 100 years ago: is form from time when Mosquito is at his toughest. For this form, the muscles in Mosquito's upper body enlarge significantly, giving him the appearance of a huge spherical torso with giant muscular arms.
- Form from 200 years ago: is form from time when he was fastest. It involves elongating all of his limbs, giving him more insect-like look, and using them to propel himself forward at high speeds.
- Form from 400 years ago: This form looks like a normal human, although it is by far his most powerful form seen. With it he was able to defeat both Free in his werewolf form and Death the Kid in less than a single second. Beyond sheer power, the form also represents the time when Mosquito was at his most numerous. With this form he can separate into 8000 bats. The bats can be used to surround the target and attack from all sides with devastating results.
- Nightmare Noise: this attack can only be used by Mosquito whilst he is in his form from 400 years ago. The attack itself launches a significant number of the bats that now compose his body, while still retaining his human form, at his opponent. The speed at which these bats obtain while sent and their sheer number, result in tearing and ripping the opponent apart as they make contact with the bats razor-like shape.
- Darkness Discord: this attack can only be used by Mosquito whilst he is in his form from 400 years ago. He begins it by using his bats to form circular seal under feet of opponent. Then they proceed to engulf the enemy in a towering vortex, attacking them from all sides with powerful ultra-sonic waves, that inflict incredible amounts of internal damage.
- Form from 800 years ago: is supposed to be the most powerful form Mosquito is capable of, as it is said that it is the time when he was at his most incredible. It potential is never seen since Noah kills him before he could complete transformation.
- Mosquito is fiercely loyal to Arachne and deeply regrets leaving her alone after her supposed death. He has been with Arachne for over 800 years and has patiently waited for her return. During their displayed time together, Mosquito in his duty as butler and steward, often catered to Arachne's every whim and desire. He takes protecting her as first priority over everything and can be be easily annoyed by persons who ignore her safety.
- In anime when Asura kills Arachne, Mosquito was filled with sorrow over the death of his mistress.
- They don't often see eye to eye with each other and are relatively prone to fighting amongst themselves, due to the contrasting ways of the two's individual mannerisms. Mosquito is a rather refined character, holding etiquette and loyalty in the highest regard, which is in stark opposition to Giriko's own apparent irresponsible attitude.
- He and Mosquito have never been on good terms with each other, to such an extent that Mosquito has hated him from the moment they first met, constantly referring to him as nothing more than a "ghastly mage".
- Death the Kid
- Due to his affiliation with Arachnophobia and loyalty to Arachne , Mosquito has utter dislike to Kid. In the manga, as they battle, Mosquito showed brutality to Kid as he gained the upperhand in their battle. He also went as far as to insult his father in front of him and called him a child on account of his age and incomplete Sanzu Lines. In turn, Kid dislikes him to the point he calls him a "Bloodsucker".
Part in the Story
Mosquito makes his first appearance patiently awaiting Arachne's return, after her recent revival, attending to her immediate needs with the most luxurious limousine and champagne of the best vintage. When Giriko unceremoniously cuts the cars roof off; Mosquito angrily replies "you common, value-ignorant delinquent", but with a single word from Arachne, he quickly concludes the matter and proceeds to their destination.
After much travel, the group finally arrive at Baba Yaga's Castle, where Mosquito with tears in his eyes announces the triumphant demonstration of the "network" they've spent the last 800 years expanding.
As Arachne's most trusted operative, Mosquito is charged with overseeing the development of the Moral Manipulation Machine, which is currently nearing its completion within a concealed location. At this distant construction facility; Mosquito receives a detailed description upon the present status of the machine, before proceeding to ask a rather sullen Mifune if he would not consider dropping that little witch to instead become his bodyguard.
During this time; DWMA launch a planned infiltration upon the laboratory using the combined assistance of Sid Barett, Mira Nygus and Yumi Azusa. While Sid and Mira partake in direct action, Yumi observes from behind the scenes, noting the presence of an aging monster's soul (belonging to Mosquito} within the target room. As she relays this information, the facility's alarms are suddenly triggered, provoking Mosquito to attend to the matter personally by offering a gracious welcome to the enraged intruder, Black☆Star. When Mifune seems reluctant to confront the perceived child standing before him, Mosquito simply questions "what's the matter" and takes hold of Angela's hand with an elated sneer.
As the battle rages on between intruder and bodyguard, Mosquito warns Mifune that he won't forgive him if he goes it easy, which further elicits an even fiercer round of fighting. At the confrontations conclusion, Mosquito urges Mifune to finish his opponent, threatening that Arachnophobia will no longer provide protection for Angela. However, the issue is never resolved due to the disappearance of Mosquito's entire left arm and torso, as a single shot tears through his body. In desperation, he drains the blood of a fleeing scientist and takes his leave.
After the destruction of the Moral Manipulation Machine and with Mosquito's apologetic return, Giriko insults him by calling his judgment on the situation of whether their soldiers are fit meaningless, as he himself isn't fit. A small confrontation ensues, where each trades offenses at the other, provoking Mosquito into launching numerous attacks. However; just as Giriko proposes that he take a commemorative photo after cutting Mosquito up into little bits, when Mosquito threatens to go back to his form from 800 years ago, a messenger bursts in. Thus, bringing the battle to a sudden conclusion.
Mosquito is in attendance during Medusa's visit to her sister Arachne but he does very little, that is until she turns to leave, where she finds herself immediately surrounded by the imposing forms of Mosquito, Giriko and Mifune. A conflict appears inevitable, yet Arachne strangely allows her sister to leave without incident.
Mosquito, sent by Arachne, appeared on the "Lost Island" to locate and take Brew, before DWMA. While retreating, Maka and the others meet Mosquito, who claims to have "Brew" in his possession. The group initially assume they have the advantage because of their extended time limit but after Mosquito reverts his body to a stronger form from 100 years ago, the team is easily overpowered by him. This is until Soul convinces his companions to leave the task of linking their Soul Resonance to him. After this power-up, the group manages to deal a crushing defeat to Mosquito and leave him wounded. However; during their period battling, their time on the island had significantly decreased, to such an extent that retreat was the only option. Mosquito comments that he can increase his time by reverting again back to a younger age.
Knowing they can no longer stay on the island, Mosquito honorably allows them to escape. In the end, DWMA's mission fails. However; it turns out that the "Brew" Mosquito had acquired, had seemingly succumbed to the devastating energies subjected to it due to its location and had ceased to function.
Operation: Capture Baba Yaga's Castle
He only returns when the DWMA Students successful invade Arachnophobia, where thanks to the kids' disguises, results in Mosquito playing chess against Ox Ford.
At some point later, after the discovery of the infiltration, Mosquito meets with both Kid and Free in tower 8. The two of them agree to work together (though both are reluctant to do so) in order to defeat Mosquito, while taking the chance to simultaneously destroy the Lock. Mosquito then transforms into his form from 100 years ago, the time when he was it his physical peak, and proceeds to engage in battle.
For the first half of the battle, Kid and Free have the upper hand, with Free dealing a tremendous blow to Mosquito with his Ice Magic. Annoyed, Mosquito transforms once again into his form from 200 years ago, the time when he was at his fastest. Due to the speed of this new form, he quickly gains the advantage over the pair. However, Free counterattacks by slamming him through into a solid wall. The three of them crash to the ground below, there Mosquito tries to attack Kid but Kid dodges both of his attacks and counterattacks. Free then uses his Ice Pillar attack to limit Mosquito's movements. Mosquito, realizing the futility of battling them, tries to draw back but is trapped by Free's Ice Bind and is subsequently shot by Kid. Free then traps him once again in A Vasili. With Mosquito trapped, Free transforms in to his werewolf form and charges Demon Eye Cannon and Kid prepares his Death Cannon. Both fire their attacks simultaneously, seemingly defeating Mosquito.
Mosquito, still alive, is greatly surprised that Free and Kid both managed to damage him to this degree. So, he transforms once again, into his form from 400 years ago, healing all his previous injuries. Mosquito, now confident, questions whether or not these two would last more than 4 seconds. Then, within an instant, he cuts both Free in half from the waist and severs Kid's arm in mere moments, before reflecting that they couldn't even last 1 second.
Unfinished with his job, Mosquito grabs Kid by the head and lifts him from the floor. He notes that the "Lines of Sanzu" on Kid are incomplete and uses Nightmare Noise to inflict further damage on the injured Kid. Liz begs Free to help Kid, saying he will die, however, Free is too injured to do so. Mosquito then insults Shinigami-sama by stating that His supervision is not enough to keep Arachnophobia in check and that the world filled by the madness of the Kishin is a different place, where Arachnophobia will ultimately take DWMA's place as masters of the world. Kid then proclaims that he will not let that happen. It is then that the real Brew actives and merges with Kid, completing one of the three Sanzu Lines. During Kid's powers awakening, Kid's arm is reattached through what appears to be shadow skulls. On the other side of the room, Free begins to stand on his hands and appears to be moving, confusing Mosquito. However, Kid realizes what is going on and prepares to battle Mosquito on his own.
Kid attacks Mosquito, who was currently off guard. Mosquito manages to counterattack with Nightmare Noise, however, Kid uses Skull Shield to protect himself. Kid follows up by performing a Soul Resonance, however, Mosquito splits him self up and uses Darkness Discord, doing a significant amount of damage. Kid begins to utilize his new powers and attempts to shoot down each of Mosquito's 8,000 bats, using the new technique Sanzu Fall Shot. After a brutal display of endurance and power, both opponents appear heavily injured. Mosquito then notices the real Brew falling out from Kid but before he can do anything, he hears a nearby explosion. This is quickly revealed to be the Lock, which was destroyed by Free, who used Forwarding Vision to fool Mosquito into thinking he had remained in one place. Mosquito, now worried of Arachne's safety, retreats. After his retreat, Kid comments on which way he is headed, referring to Mosquito as a "vampire".
Mosquito makes his assumed final appearance when he returns to the control room, where he scowls at 'Eibon' for leaving Arachne defenseless, to which he informs Mosquito that he too was just following orders. When Kid arrives at the location, 'Eibon' and Mosquito are about to engage in battle. Mosquito reveals his deep hatred for 'Eibon' and resents leaving Arachne in his care. Mosquito then transforms into his form from 800 years ago, however, before he can attack, he is slammed into a wall by a monster from the confines of The Book of Eibon. Before Eibon finishes him off, he asks Mosquito if would like to hear his true name. Mosquito replies that he has no interest in knowing the name of a despicable and avaricious man. Eibon ignores Mosquito's reply and reveals his actual name, Noah. Mosquito is then blasted by the creature but before his demise, he utters his final words, shouting "I offer my deepest apologies, Arachne-Sama!" Only a single bat remains as a reminder of Mosquito's former existence, which Noah then picks up while stating "Yes, I think this will do nicely!"
In the anime, Mosquito's role differs slightly. In the battle for Brew, Maka uses 'Majin Hunt' (or Genie Hunter), which she had not learned yet at that point in the manga, to slice him into pieces. The group believes he is defeated after Maka's technique, but he gets away by detaching his head from his body at the last moment.
He later reattaches his head to another body. He assists Arachne in the operation at Baba Yaga Castle to spread madness across the world. Lord Death uses the power of Eibon's magic tools to take manual control of Death City and go to Baba Yaga's Castle himself to join the academy in the fight. Using the robotic Death City, Lord Death fights against Mosquito whom is also fighting inside a remote controlled gigantic robot. Lord Death ultimately defeats Mosquito.
When Asura killed Arachne, Mosquito mourns after the death of his mistress. 
He can be seen at the end of the credits along with Giriko.
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime Episode 46
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga Chapter 37
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga, Chapter 52
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga, Chapter 53
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga, Chapter 56
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga, Chapter 52
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime Episode 47
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime Episode 49
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime, Episode 51
- Many of Mosquito's characteristics and abilities are likely based on the character "The Fear Robot", and the symbols associated with it, in Atsushi's earlier series B. Ichi.
- Mosquito shares similarities of Frieza from Dragon Ball Z. Both character have access to forms in which increases their total output of power and likes putting up a false illusion that they're not as powerful as their wavelength/ki lets on and show nightmarish power when at their full power.
- Mosquito seems to be aware of some information on the Eight Powerful Warriors. He was able to tell Death the Kid was Shinigami by recognizing the Sanzu Lines, something that's was only known to the Staff and Death at the most in Shibusen. This hints he has either seen Death's human form or Asura If he possessed Sanzu Lines at some point. He also knew Noah was falsely impersonating Eibon.