"Arachnophobia's momentum is already too great for even the meddling shinigami to contain. The Madness of the Kishin is fast reaching its climax...and the world has changed. Up to now, the world's security efforts have bee manned entirely by graduates of the DWMA....but Arachnophobia has already begun the task of eating away at that setup. It is the nature of human souls—just a nudge in the right direction, and they fall right into the trap. Now, it's only a matter of time before Arachnophobia supplants DWMA as masters of all the world."
|Current Era | Four Centuries Ago|
Deceased (Manga), Alive (Anime)
|List of Appearances | Gallery|
Carrying himself in an aristocratic manner like his mistress, Mosquito is a neat and formal individual who values proper etiquette, utilizes proper speech, and uses extensive vocabulary compared Giriko's crass and coarse nature. As a genuine, firm believer of Arachnopobia's beliefs as well as Arachne, Mosquito himself can be seen even crying out of happiness, showing happiness when things are flowing Arachnophobia's way, and can be motivational to his fellow members. Unlike his mistress, he possesses some honorable traits and was willing to let go of Team Maka when they held their own against him, despite the fact he purposely bid time for them in the Magnetic Field and was impressed with their display. In the anime, he even considers the lives of other members (which would extend to even Giriko).
Despite this, however, Mosquito is a dark character. As a fierce believer of Arachnophobia, he has also shown himself to not hesitate in killing any enemy of his organisation no matter reagardless of age. He is willing to manipulate extremely skilled men such as Mifune with those he cares about, like Angela. Despite his mostly elegant demeanor, even he has a temper and can extend his anger towards other individuals in front of his mistress, namely Giriko. When in battle, he has a tendency to cap his own power and is utterly confident in his power and transformations. While in the anime, this trait has caused him to suffer humiliating defeats, the manga showcases that this is most likely the byproduct of his incredible power, which even Team Maka has acknowledged. When presented in a life-threatening situation, even Mosquito at times can value his own life over lowly members of Arachnophobia.
Mosquito has a quirk of saying "my boy" or "my girl" during conversation when speaking to those younger then him. With his own admission, Mosquito revealed that despite his differences with Giriko, he once held a similar mindset to the chainsaw when he was younger and cited he was a "hot-blooded one back in the day".
His appearance is that of a short old man, with a height similar to a young child, with a large pointy nose, red eyes, gray hair and a mustache. He wears a classic wardrobe; consisting of a formal black suit and white shirt, completed with a black bow tie and a relatively large black top hat.
During the operation to capture the demon tool Brew, he chooses to adopt only the addition of a trench coat, to shield his body from the significantly colder temperature at Lost Island. In addition, Mosquito's soul is largely bright pink in color, with three darker extensions, seemingly representing a mosquito's nose and wings.
Police Stinger (ポリススティンガー, Porisu Sutingā): Mosquito, in his initial form and form from 100 years ago, uses his nose as a stinger akin to those of his namesake. He can alter its size and even its shape. Like a mosquito's stinger, he can use it to siphon blood from an individual, true to his nature as a Bloodsucker.
- Three-Piece Police Stinger (3ピースポリススティンガー, Surī Pīsu Porisu Sutingā): An more advanced for of Police Stinger, Mosquito splits his stinger into three separate stingers. These then begin to spin the stingers at a very rapid rate, before he subsequently charges towards the opponent. The speed at which both the stingers rotate and which Mosquito approaches his target, makes this attack not only difficult to avoid but also extremely damaging if contact is made. It is only used against the small 'scuffle' in between Giriko and Mosquito, where it takes Giriko's Saw Foot to counter this attack.
Soul Perception (魂感知, Tamashī kanchi):Mosquito possesses the ability to sense the soul of other beings. He demonstrated this ability when he sensed the death of Arachne's soul, remarking he was unable to feel her soul much to his dismay. (Anime Only)
Transformation (変身, Henshin): Mosquito's most acclimaed ability he has is the special ability of transforming his body. However, his transformations revolve around him reverting himself in age, allowing him to becoming younger and utilize the unique properties and abilities within a given form from his past appearances.
- 100 Years Ago (100年前, 100 Nen mae): Being technically the weakest form at his disposal, this form changes his entire appearance, the muscles in Mosquito's upper body enlarge significantly, giving him the appearance of a huge spherical torso with giant muscular arms. He walks on his knuckles like a gorilla and all of his strength and maneuverability relies on his arms. However, one of the advantages is the Muscle Curtain he gains, a powerful defense only penetrated by a Chain Resonance and Magic. This form enabled him to hold his own with some of the DWMA's top students.
- Increased Power: Within this form, Mosquito is noted to have incredible power. Although having held his own with Team Maka, their success was owed only from a Chain Resonance originating from Soul's Piano. Furthermore, even Death the Kid himself noted Mosquito as an opponent ( he cannot take on alone while within this form. Maka considers him to be in a different "class" then either her and Black☆Star)
- 200 Years Ago (200年前, 200 Nen mae): Another transformation, this form makes him look more insect-like rather than human. His arms grow long and thin, tipped with large hands with long fingers. His legs take on a more animal-like structure, heavily muscled but ending in small slim points, with the toes touching the ground and having a longer nose. Mosquito claims this form to be him at his fastest along with having the "finest nose". This form was used against Death the Kid and Free, holding its own with the both of them.
- Increased Power: Both Patty and Liz noted this form as at least appearing to possess exceptional power.
- 400 Years Ago (400年前, 400 Nen mae): In this form, Mosquito takes the appearance of a handsome, tanned skinned young man with neatly combed, slick, black hair. Like his previous forms, he still retains his butler appearance, wearing a well fitting, highly formalized and entirely black suit, accented by a traditional white cravat encircling his neck. He also adopts a vampire-like motif when in this form, constantly surrounded by bats which made up his own body. According to his own statements, he is comprised of over 8,000 Bats and is able to manipulate them, as well as Ultrasonic Waves. This form has enabled him to fight both Free and Death the Kid at the same time, with speeds surpassing both of those (before the latter connected one of his Lines of Sanzu.
- Eight Thousand Bats (8千匹の蝙蝠, 8 Senbiki no koumori): Mosquito's entire body is composed of seemingly bats which can be sharpened to act as piercing objects and be manipulated. He can also transform into bats and use its transformation to fly and transport himself. Of his own admittance, he is comprised of 8,000 bats, as the name implies.
- Ultrasonic Waves (超音波, Chōonpa): Originating from his bats is the ability to offensively utilize ultrasonic sound waves offensively to do powerful, internal damage. When in use of one of his techniques in which takes advantage of his Ultrasonic Wave abilities, he was able to moderately injure Kid who interrupted his attack with his Sanzu Falls Shot.
- Nightmare Noise (夏夜ノ羽音, Naitomea Noizu; Literally meaning "Buzz of a Summer's Night"): This attack allows Mosquito send a number of bats towards an opponent The speed at which these bats obtain while sent and their sheer number, result in tearing and ripping the opponent apart as they make contact with the bats razor-like shape. Due to the vast number of these bats Mosquito has in reserve, he has been seen to be able to alter the composition of this attack to either spread the various bats to assault the opponent from all sides, or in a linear fashion.
- Formation (陣, Jin): Formation allows Mosquito to use his composition of bats to create a magical circle composed of his name and magical, musical notes.
- Darkness Discord (蠢ク闇夜, Dākunesu Disukōdo): Mosquito's bats engulfs the enemy in a towering vortex, attacking them from all sides with powerful ultra-sonic waves, that inflict incredible amounts of internal damage. As the high-pitched sounds only effect the opponent on the inside. From the outside, it only looks like a towering black tornado. The attack itself is extremely complex to escape from after being trapped due to its composition of eight-thousand bats, as only when a significant number have been successfully damaged will it force Mosquito to stop the attack.
- Enhanced Speed: Mosquito possesses incredible speed. Moments within this form after transformation, he easily decimated both Death the Kid and Free, powerful martial fighters within their own right and did so in less then a second, according to himself.
- Enhanced Durability: Like many of his form, Mosquito is still incredibly resilient. He was able to withstand against Kid's Sanzu River Shot and the Sanzu Falls Shot, even after the God of Death had already connected one of the Lines of Sanzu, though was visibly injured.
- Increased Power: Oddly enough, this form appears deceptively in terms of appearance of power, as Liz and Patty assumed that his previous transformations were stronger. However, such inquiry is incorrect, as Mosquito was capable of downing both Free and Death the Kid in less then a second. Additionally, his power altogether was capable of not only defeating an incomplete Death God (Kid) but also match the power of a single Line of Sanzu connecting under the effects of "BREW".
800 Years Ago (800年前, 800 Nen mae): From what is briefly observed of this form; his nose extends in length and his pupils multiply, to resemble the eyes of an insect. It appears that the form would also seemingly adopt the same formal black clothing present throughout the entirity of his other transformations, as demonstrated by the formation of black surounding his body. Statements from Giriko suggest he was far larger in this form. This form was stated by Mosquito to be the form in which he was at his most powerful, though was cut short when the Sorcerer, Noah (Greed), attacked him during transformation.
- Increased Power: The overall capabilities and power with this form remains unknown, as Noah (Greed) opted to attack Mosquito before he could complete his transformation. However, Noah himself still noted Mosquito to be, "terrifyingly strong and powerful". Mosquito also claimed that this was his most powerful transformation. Assuming the same pattern for all of his transformations, this form is at least stronger then his 400 Years Ago form.
Bloodsucker Physiology: Presumably due to his eccentric and odd physiology as a Bloodsucker, Mosquito can achieve a number of abilities. As a Bloodsucker, he is known to siphon blood to heal from his injuries, as shown when he drained the blood of a Arachnophobia scientist after losing a arm and was able to recover. He even has been shown to be incredibly flexible and able to survive even the most grave of injuries, such as beheading himself in the anime to escape being hit from the Demon-Hunt.
Flight: Because of his physiology, in the anime, he is able to achieve flight by rotating his entire body like a rotor.
During transformation, Mosquito leaves himself open for attack. When he was about to transform into his Form from 800 years ago, he was stopped by Noah (Greed) mid transformation. Oddly enough however, he is able to bypass this weakness and has been seen transforming to his Form from 100 years ago quickly while in his initial form.
Mosquito makes his first appearance patiently awaiting Arachne's return, after her recent revival, attending to her immediate needs with the most luxurious limousine and champagne of the best vintage. When Giriko unceremoniously cuts the cars roof off; Mosquito angrily replies "you common, value-ignorant delinquent", but with a single word from Arachne, he quickly concludes the matter and proceeds to their destination.
After much travel, the group finally arrive at Baba Yaga's Castle, where Mosquito with tears in his eyes announces the triumphant demonstration of the "network" they've spent the last 800 years expanding.
As Arachne's most trusted operative, Mosquito is charged with overseeing the development of the Moral Manipulation Machine, which is currently nearing its completion within a concealed location. At this distant construction facility; Mosquito receives a detailed description upon the present status of the machine, before proceeding to ask a rather sullen Mifune if he would not consider dropping that little witch to instead become his bodyguard.
During this time; DWMA launch a planned infiltration upon the laboratory using the combined assistance of Sid Barrett, Mira Naigus and Yumi Azusa. While Sid and Mira partake in direct action, Yumi observes from behind the scenes, noting the presence of an aging monster's soul (belonging to Mosquito) within the target room. As she relays this information, the facility's alarms are suddenly triggered, provoking Mosquito to attend to the matter personally by offering a gracious welcome to the enraged intruder, Black☆Star. When Mifune seems reluctant to confront the perceived child standing before him, Mosquito simply questions "what's the matter" and takes hold of Angela's hand with an elated sneer.
As the battle rages on between intruder and bodyguard, Mosquito warns Mifune that he won't forgive him if he goes it easy, which further elicits an even fiercer round of fighting. At the confrontations conclusion, Mosquito urges Mifune to finish his opponent, threatening that Arachnophobia will no longer provide protection for Angela. However, the issue is never resolved due to the disappearance of Mosquito's entire left arm and torso, as a single shot tears through his body. In desperation, he drains the blood of a fleeing scientist and takes his leave.
After the destruction of the Moral Manipulation Machine and with Mosquito's apologetic return, Giriko insults him by calling his judgment on the situation of whether their soldiers are fit meaningless, as he himself isn't fit. A small confrontation ensues, where each trades offenses at the other, provoking Mosquito into launching numerous attacks. However; just as Giriko proposes that he take a commemorative photo after cutting Mosquito up into little bits, when Mosquito threatens to go back to his form from 800 years ago, a messenger bursts in. Thus, bringing the battle to a sudden conclusion.
Mosquito is in attendance during Medusa's visit to her sister Arachne but he does very little, that is until she turns to leave, where she finds herself immediately surrounded by the imposing forms of Mosquito, Giriko and Mifune. A conflict appears inevitable, yet Arachne strangely allows her sister to leave without incident.
Mosquito, sent by Arachne, appeared on the "Lost Island" to locate and take Brew, before DWMA. While retreating, Maka and the others meet Mosquito, who claims to have "Brew" in his possession. The group initially assume they have the advantage because of their extended time limit but after Mosquito reverts his body to a stronger form from 100 years ago, the team is easily overpowered by him. This is until Soul convinces his companions to leave the task of linking their Soul Resonance to him. After this power-up, the group manages to deal a crushing defeat to Mosquito and leave him wounded. However; during their period battling, their time on the island had significantly decreased, to such an extent that retreat was the only option. Mosquito comments that he can increase his time by reverting again back to a younger age.
Knowing they can no longer stay on the island, Mosquito honorably allows them to escape. In the end, DWMA's mission fails. However; it turns out that the "Brew" Mosquito had acquired, had seemingly succumbed to the devastating energies subjected to it due to its location and had ceased to function.
He only returns when the DWMA students successful invade Arachnophobia, where thanks to the kids' disguises, results in Mosquito playing chess against Ox Ford.
At some point later, after the discovery of the infiltration, Mosquito meets with both Kid and Free in tower 8. The two of them agree to work together (though both are reluctant to do so) in order to defeat Mosquito, while taking the chance to simultaneously destroy the Lock. Mosquito then transforms into his form from 100 years ago, the time when he was it his physical peak, and proceeds to engage in battle.
For the first half of the battle, Kid and Free have the upper hand, with Free dealing a tremendous blow to Mosquito with his Ice Magic. Annoyed, Mosquito transforms once again into his form from 200 years ago, the time when he was at his fastest. Due to the speed of this new form, he quickly gains the advantage over the pair. However, Free counterattacks by slamming him through into a solid wall. The three of them crash to the ground below, there Mosquito tries to attack Kid but Kid dodges both of his attacks and counterattacks. Free then uses his Ice Pillar attack to limit Mosquito's movements. Mosquito, realizing the futility of battling them, tries to draw back but is trapped by Free's Ice Bind and is subsequently shot by Kid. Free then traps him once again in A Vasili. With Mosquito trapped, Free transforms in to his werewolf form and charges Demon Eye Cannon and Kid prepares his Death Cannon. Both fire their attacks simultaneously, seemingly defeating Mosquito.
Mosquito, still alive, is greatly surprised that Free and Kid both managed to damage him to this degree. So, he transforms once again, into his form from 400 years ago, healing all his previous injuries. Mosquito, now confident, questions whether or not these two would last more than 4 seconds. Then, within an instant, he cuts both Free in half from the waist and severs Kid's arm in mere moments, before reflecting that they couldn't even last 1 second.
Unfinished with his job, Mosquito grabs Kid by the head and lifts him from the floor. He notes that the "Lines of Sanzu" on Kid are incomplete and uses Nightmare Noise to inflict further damage on the injured Kid. Liz begs Free to help Kid, saying he will die, however, Free is too injured to do so. Mosquito then insults Shinigami by stating that His supervision is not enough to keep Arachnophobia in check and that the world filled by the madness of the Kishin is a different place, where Arachnophobia will ultimately take DWMA's place as masters of the world. Kid then proclaims that he will not let that happen. It is then that the real Brew actives and merges with Kid, completing one of the three Sanzu Lines. During Kid's powers awakening, Kid's arm is reattached through what appears to be shadow skulls. On the other side of the room, Free begins to stand on his hands and appears to be moving, confusing Mosquito. However, Kid realizes what is going on and prepares to battle Mosquito on his own.
Kid attacks Mosquito, who was currently off guard. Mosquito manages to counterattack with Nightmare Noise, however, Kid uses Skull Shield to protect himself. Kid follows up by performing a Soul Resonance, however, Mosquito splits him self up and uses Darkness Discord, doing a significant amount of damage. Kid begins to utilize his new powers and attempts to shoot down each of Mosquito's 8,000 bats, using the new technique Sanzu Fall Shot. After a brutal display of endurance and power, both opponents appear heavily injured. Mosquito then notices the real Brew falling out from Kid but before he can do anything, he hears a nearby explosion. This is quickly revealed to be the Lock, which was destroyed by Free, who used Forwarding Vision to fool Mosquito into thinking he had remained in one place. Mosquito, now worried of Arachne's safety, retreats. After his retreat, Kid comments on which way he is headed, referring to Mosquito as a "vampire".
Mosquito makes his assumed final appearance when he returns to the control room, where he scowls at 'Eibon' for leaving Arachne defenseless, to which he informs Mosquito that he too was just following orders. When Kid arrives at the location, 'Eibon' and Mosquito are about to engage in battle. Mosquito reveals his deep hatred for 'Eibon' and resents leaving Arachne in his care. Mosquito then transforms into his form from 800 years ago, however, before he can attack, he is slammed into a wall by a monster from the confines of The Book of Eibon. Before Eibon finishes him off, he asks Mosquito if would like to hear his true name. Mosquito replies that he has no interest in knowing the name of a despicable and avaricious man. Eibon ignores Mosquito's reply and reveals his actual name, Noah. Mosquito is then blasted by the creature but before his demise, he utters his final words, shouting "I offer my deepest apologies, Arachne-Sama!" Only a single bat remains as a reminder of Mosquito's former existence, which Noah then picks up while stating "Yes, I think this will do nicely!"
Arachnophobia vs DWMA Arc (Anime)
In the anime, Mosquito's role differs slightly. In the battle for Brew, Maka uses 'Majin Hunt' (or Genie Hunter), which she had not learned yet at that point in the manga, to slice him into pieces. The group believes he is defeated after Maka's technique, but he gets away by detaching his head from his body at the last moment and takes the Brew to Arachne. When he returns to Arachnophobia, he tells Arachne that the Brew does not work (Medusa Gorgon has the real brew).
He later reattaches his head to another body. He assists Arachne in the operation at Baba Yaga Castle to spread madness across the world. Death uses the power of Eibon's magic tools to take manual control of Death City and go to Baba Yaga's Castle himself to join the academy in the fight. Using the robotic Death City, Death fights against Mosquito whom is also fighting inside a remote controlled gigantic robot. Death ultimately defeats Mosquito.
When Asura killed Arachne, Mosquito mourns after the death of his mistress.
He can be seen at the end of the credits along with Giriko.
- Many of Mosquito's characteristics and abilities are likely based on the character "The Fear Robot", and the symbols associated with it, in Atsushi's earlier series B. Ichi.
|Henchmen & Bodyguard||Mosquito • Mifune|
|Demon Tool Soldiers||Insight Demon Tool Soldier • Demon Tool Soldier 2 • Morubi|
|Henchmen & Bodyguards||Giriko|
|Alliance||Noah (Greed) • AsuraAnime-Only|
|Spies||Taruho Firefly • Tabatha Butterfly|
|Other||Free (ruse) • Eruka Frog (ruse) • Mizune Family (ruse)|