Directory: Characters → Marie Mjölnir
|Voiced by (English)||
|Classification||Weapon , Death scythe|
Marie Mjölnir (マリー・ミョルニル, Marī Myoruniru), the "Demon Hammer" (魔鎚, Mattsui), is the Death scythe formerly in charge of Oceania. However, since the resurrection of Kishin Asura, her duties have since then been reassigned to Azusa. She is currently partnered with Franken Stein, and is a teacher at Death Weapon Meister Academy. As of the final chapter, it has been revealed that she is pregnant with Stein's child.
|“||She's gentle and kind. She's friendly to everybody and she always looks out for me.||”|
—Crona, Referring to Marie, Episode 31
Marie is an incredibly caring and gentle individual, and openly expresses her personality at all times. She shows great compassion in creating and maintaining a kind relationship with anyone she meets, and has yet to fail in doing so; almost always being shown with a smile on her face. Whenever a friend is in need, she is always open to help in any way she can no matter the situation. In general, she is always concerned for the wellbeing of others. She also dislikes seeing others unhappy, and is always up to cheering the individual up. People around Marie acknowledge all of these characteristics, and she is popular among her students. She is even able to befriend individuals who are often viewed upon as annoying or disliked among many.
She does not enjoy being put to work, and often seeks for ways around doing so. Her initial intention after having become a Death scythe was to retire, however, upon not being able to do so, she chose to take Death scythe charge over Oceania because she viewed it as the most peaceful and easy location to take charge of. When she is assigned to partner with Stein, she even begins to lightly shed tears because of her complete loss of the motivation to work. Of which Stein reassures her that he believes such obsessive tendencies will become useful. Over time, these feelings towards work disappear, mostly as the result of the discovery that she really enjoys teaching at the Academy.
She has an undying urge to find a husband and get married, but has yet to successfully maintain a long-term relationship with someone. She always devotes herself to every man she dates but they always seem to end up breaking up with her. Azusa's suggested reason of this is because that Marie put so much devotion into the relationship that the men become so overwhelmed with pressure that they feel the obligation to run away from her. However, Marie denies this, and finds it hard to believe that she is the source of the problem. She has once even become so desperate for love that she almost decided to marry a toilet, seeing it as something that is accepting of anything and everything.
Marie is a forgiving and generally unprejudiced person. This is demonstrated most when Marie forgives Crona for slipping one of Medusa's snakes into her drink, allowing Medusa's group to hear conversations between she and Stein and to also increase Stein's madness.
She also has a horrible sense of direction, and often gets lost in the Academy, even though she's been acquainted with its layout for years. She has gotten lost a notable four times, and even Crona and Ragnarok were shown to be more aware of where the Teacher's Office was than her. She is so bad with directions that a location that can usually be gotten to in a matter of minutes can become a two hour search. This direction problem more than likely originates from Marie guessing that a location is in a random direction rather than actually calculating where she is going.
Despite her usually friendly and calm demeanor, Marie is very quick tempered when someone says something that she doesn't approve of. Sometimes even resulting to violence by striking this person with one of her powerful punches that she is not aware of how much they hurt.
In her physical appearance, Marie is a young woman around the age of 25-30. She has large, caramel eyes, and long blonde hair. She wears her hair loosely with no bangs, and it forms a zig-zag part on her head.
Marie wears a black dress with a large, golden, zig-zag pattern in the front from the waist down. Parts of the dress are made of a different fabric. These parts are located on the long sleeves of the dress from the elbows down, and a part below the chest that resembles a girdle-like shape. She wears a pair of white, high-heel shoes that also appear to have a zig-zag pattern on them. Finally, her most iconic piece of clothing is her large, left eyepatch, which is decorated with a thunderbolt insignia that also appears in her Weapon form.
While hunting Justin, her clothing changed to feature a black sleeveless jacket over a shirt, shorts with patterning similar to her original dress and sandals. These clothes bear a noticeable resemblance to those worn by Joe Buttataki.
Her Weapon form is that of a small, black hammer with her thunderbolt insignia at it's tips. Some strands of black, ribbon-looking pieces also originate from the end of the hammer's handle. When activating her Izuna, she transforms into a Tonfa shape reminiscent of her Anime design, though not nearly as oversized.
In the Anime, her Weapon form is different, and is instead a large tonfa with her insignia in the same location as her Manga Weapon form. A gold ring encircles the hammer near its tip and extends to its handle.
- Franken Stein
- Marie shares as close a friendship with Stein as she does with Azusa, if not, even closer. She is very gentle and understanding of Stein, and can share a conversation about just about anything with him. She treats Stein as a best friend, and is constantly concerned for his health and well-being. The two seem be happier when around each other, and Marie's personality makes an extremely noticeable difference in Stein. The two are so close that Marie was even able to openly ask Stein if the two could temporarily live at Stein's house together without the slightest hesitation, and Stein able to allow her without question. Marie also does not appear to be frightened by Stein's Madness or commonly disturbing hobbies and sadistic personality. Marie is also very comfortable with Stein, even seeing the usually avoided man as a shoulder to cry on. When the two were still attending the Academy, Stein somehow became Marie's first love. This was not through a relationship, rather, an untold love by Marie. Apparently, the two never got any closer than how they currently are, but it has been suggested, and even stated in general, that Marie may still have some romantic feelings for Stein. Although Marie denies still seeing Stein romantically, she does show an extra form of care for him. She also appeared to become jealous of Arisa when she was flirting and blushing at Stein, so much that she left the meeting they were having at the time. Stein, however, appears to be completely oblivious to this side of Marie. She tends to defend Stein above all else, and seems angry when people define him by his madness. While taking to Kid in the aftermath of the battle of the moon, it was shown that Marie was pregnant with Stein's child.
- Azusa Yumi
- The two maintain a reasonably close friendship, and Marie does not see Azusa in the same light as most others do. The two are often seen sharing personal conversations with each-other, mostly in relation to Marie. Azusa is the voice of reason to some of Marie's obsessive tendencies, calming her when she gets upset about having work to do and voicing her opinion on Marie's love life. She is acquainted with rare, personal information about Marie, such as the fact that Stein was the first person she was to fall in love with, and the two are also sometimes seen gossiping. Marie also appears to be very comfortable with Azusa, even so far as be able to find comfort in her, such as when she hugged Azusa when Spirit appeared to frighten her a bit in their meeting with Shinigami after the Kishin's revival; an action that many would view as extremely rare when it comes to Azusa's general personality.
- Marie and Crona share a very close relationship, and Marie treats Crona in a very gentle, friendly fashion. Resembling Maka's manner of treating him/her. Crona intensely enjoys this part of Marie and often becomes more happy and comforted when around her. Marie particularly likes Crona, regarding him/her as a "good kid" who is "so sweet and quiet". Marie acknowledges that Crona is an extremely gentle soul, and does whatever she can to help him/her no matter the situation. She also shows great enthusiasm in brightening Crona up, and enjoys seeing him/her happy, and making him feel better when something appears to be wrong with him. Marie has also stated that Crona is one of the focal points in which she enjoys teaching at the DWMA so much. When viewed side-by-side, Marie is the complete opposite of Medusa. In the manner of treating Crona, acting around Crona, and even in Crona's personality towards her. It is rational to believe that Crona may view Marie in a motherly way, and Marie doing the same. Marie has never exhibited as much kindness and friendliness as she does with Crona with any other individual in the series.
- Marie has never seen Ragnarok in anything other than his shrunken form, which she finds incredibly "cute". The two don't share a very close relationship, but Marie views Ragnarok as a friend through Crona. Oddly, despite Ragnarok's general personality, he appears to act noticeably nicer to Marie in his own twisted way.
- Sid Barett
- Marie and Sid know each other from when the two used to attend the Academy together. They appear to be familiar each other quite well and share an average friendship. Marie is particularly excited when she meets Sid again after she returned to the DWMA, throwing her arms up and yelling his name whilst running towards him when she first saw him. Sid appears to be aware of Marie's personality, and even instructs Maka to show Marie around the Academy upon seeing Marie from a fair distance and immediately recognizing that she was lost due to her sense of direction. Sid also seems to admire Marie's technique in introducing herself to Crona, which Sid had failed in doing earlier.
- Not much interaction is seen between the two, but Marie seems to share a similar relationship with Spirit as she does with Sid, as the two know each other in the same way and appear to hold an average friendship. Marie and Spirit's relationship also revolves around the two being partners of Stein's.
- Marie and Maka share a reasonably close relationship, and the two are revealed to have similar parts to certain places of their personalities. Their friendship is instated by Crona's enrollment in the Academy and the two share a very similar, gentle way of treating Crona.
- Joe Buttataki
- He is Marie's ex-boyfriend. The two broke up as Joe feared that his "soul perception" may grow so powerful that he could see through her. She attempted to rub this decision in his face, initially not knowing the reason why he did it or the fact that he regretted it. Upon learning the truth, she decided to rekindle their relationship; unfortunately, Joe is murdered the night she made this decision, leaving her devastated. Marie adopts a new attire resembling his to honor him after his death.
- Justin Law
- Marie used to have friendly relationship with Justin being a fellow Death Sycthe, but after he succumbed to madness, killing Joe Buttataki and targeting one of her students, Maka, Marie come to hate Justin and she helped Stein killing him.
- Demon Hammer (魔鎚, Mattsui): Marie was initially believed to be capable of performing incredible feats of physical strength, even while in her human form, as demonstrated when she seemingly pulverized an entire toilet with just a single crushing blow. However, it was later revealed that this was simply an application of her partial transformation, achieved by extending a small black cylinder from beneath the skin of one of her fists. The resulting increase in strength from just this extension was so drastic that, even while in direct contact with a person, it is enough to send them flying several feet. In her fully transformed state, Marie assumes the form of a small black hammer with numerous markings along the head's length and lightning-shaped ones, which mirror the insignia on Marie's eye patch, upon either end. The handle of this hammer is wrapped in light cloth and features three black tendrils emerging from its base. In the anime, her weapon form is instead that of a large, octagonal tonfa. Her abilities in this form revolve around the generation of large quantities electricity, which can be subsequently flowed through either her own or her meister's body to produce a diverse range of effects.
- Triquetra Attack: By performing a soul resonance with Franken Stein whilst already conducting Lightning Rope with him, Marie's tonfa-like weapon form distorts dramatically, instead becoming two intertwining beams of energy that emanate from a single triquetra symbol. When this symbol collides with a target, it greatly enlarges and results in a powerful destructive blast, which is represented by numerous towering and intertwined pillars of electricity. The concussive force produced by this blast is capable of obliterating even Justin Law while in his Madness Fusion form, leaving only a few tattered remains behind.
- Soul Wavelength (魂の波長, Tamashii no Hachō): Marie's wavelength is peculiar in that it is noted to have a calming effect upon other people, which can be used to quiet the madness that resides within them. This ability is seemingly unique to Marie, but the details of how this phenomenon is produced have yet to be revealed.
- Skilled Combatant:It's been show in both the anime and manga she is an able body combatant, able to fight with Franken Stein in the anime.
Part in the Story
After the death of B.J., she left Shibusen with Stein in order to find Joe's murderer and also because his last request was for her to keep an eye on Stein.
Tying Things Up, and New Beginnings
Marie only reappears after discovering the truth behind Joe's death, revealing that it was in fact Justin Law, a fellow death scythe, who had committed the murder. It is then explained that her and Stein's long absence was due largely to the difficulty in discovering Justin's location. She firstly questions him about his reason for killing B.J., only receiving simply the reply that his "Soul Perception ability was too dangerous...the Kishin-sama was unable to rest easily". After hearing this and deducing that his next target was Maka, she charges towards him and hits him in the chest. It appears her attack has little effect but after extending part of her weapon from her fist, Justin is sent flying yet he still manages to recover in mid-air to land safely. Observing this ineffective result, Marie assumes her weapon form and both her and Stein go on the offensive. The resulting speed, caused by Marie's abilities, easily overwhelms Justin and forces him to retreat using an artifact. This leaves Marie and Stein in the desert outskirts of Death City, with nothing but the coffin Justin left behind.
After her groups infiltration of Noah's hideout she along with others are quickly and violently beaten down by a combination of Noah's abilities in controlling the book of eibon & the power provided to him by Brew. When downed Justin Law casually walks over to her preaching some type of insane babble that could be a type of madness pray. Asking him to stop this madness and how much can sin he can possibly live with she is quickly silenced by Justin as he strikes her face with his bladed arm. Her current condition is unknown but she was seen to be alive after the Spartoi escape from the book but after Stein & the others break free from Noah’s creatures. She seems to be unconscious as Stein holds her possibly monitoring her condition.
After the assault against Noah's group and the damage done to her by Justin Law's vicious attack, Marie made a full recovery from the battle. But she also arrives to inform Maka & Black Star that due to Crona attacking the Eastern European Branch of the DWMA, killing the branches Death Scythe, the Demon Cannon Ball Tsar Prushka and his partner, along with destroying a city in the Ukraine Crona has been added to Shinigami's target list & the Spartoi have been issued orders to find & execute him/her.
Battle on the Moon
- Marie's theme is the legendary hammer of Thor:
- Her last name Mjolnir is derived from Thor's hammer's name, the Mjöllnir.
- Like Thor the god of thunder, Marie's appearance is themed with electricity, most notably the lightning bolt on her eyepatch/hammer form and her ability to generate electricity.
- Her eyepatch is reminiscent of Thor's father, Odin, who gave his eye for wisdom.
- Her nickname is "Crushing Weapon Marie"; in the FUNimation translation, this is translated as "Marie the Pulverizer".