Marie Mjolnir (マリー・ミョルニル, Marī Myoruniru) was the Death Weapon formerly in charge of Oceania. However, since the resurrection of Kishin Asura, her duties have since then been reassigned to Azusa. She is currently partnered with Franken Stein, and is a teacher at the DWMA. She is also one of the Eight Mysteries of DWMA, known as "The Woman with the Eye Patch Who Destroys Toilets in the Dead of Night".
Much of Marie's history is unknown. She was a student at the academy who eventually became a Death Weapon. She also dated Joe Buttataki around this time and eventually broke up with him. She would then be in charge of Oceania, planning to one day retire and get married.
Marie is an incredibly caring and gentle individual, and openly expresses her personality at all times. She shows great compassion in creating and maintaining a kind relationship with anyone she meets, and has yet to fail in doing so; almost always being shown with a smile on her face. Whenever a friend is in need, she is always open to help in any way she can no matter the situation. In general, she is always concerned for the well-being of others. She also dislikes seeing others unhappy, and is always up to cheering the individual up. People around Marie acknowledge all of these characteristics, and she is popular among her students. She is even able to befriend individuals who are often viewed upon as annoying or disliked among many.
She does not enjoy being put to work, and often seeks for ways around doing so. Her initial intention after having become a Death Weapon was to retire, however, upon not being able to do so, she chose to take Death Weapon charge over Oceania because she viewed it as the most peaceful and easy location to take charge of. When she is assigned to partner with Stein, she even begins to lightly shed tears because of her complete loss of the motivation to work, to which Stein reassures her that he believes such obsessive tendencies will become useful. Over time, these feelings towards work disappear, mostly as the result of the discovery that she really enjoys teaching at the Academy.
She has an undying urge to find a husband and get married, but has yet to successfully maintain a long-term relationship with someone. She always devotes herself to every man she dates but they always seem to end up breaking up with her. Azusa's suggested reason of this is because that Marie put so much devotion into the relationship that the men become so overwhelmed with pressure that they feel the obligation to run away from her. However, Marie denies this, and finds it hard to believe that she is the source of the problem. She has once even become so desperate for love that she almost decided to marry a toilet, seeing it as something that is accepting of anything and everything.
Marie is a forgiving and generally unprejudiced person. This is demonstrated most when Marie forgives Crona for slipping one of Medusa's snakes into her drink, allowing Medusa's group to hear conversations between she and Stein and to also increase the latter's madness.
She also has a horrible sense of direction, and often gets lost in the Academy, even though she's been acquainted with its layout for years. She has gotten lost a notable four times, and even Crona and Ragnarok were shown to be more aware of where the Teacher's Office was than her. She is so bad with directions that a location that can usually be gotten to in a matter of minutes can become a two hour search. This direction problem more than likely originates from Marie guessing that a location is in a random direction rather than actually calculating where she is going.
Despite her usually friendly and calm demeanor, Marie is very quick tempered when someone says something that she doesn't approve of, sometimes even resulting to violence by striking this person with one of her powerful punches. She is not aware of how much they hurt.
In her physical appearance, Marie is a young woman who possesses large, caramel eyes, and long blonde hair.
Zig-zags are prominent in Marie's appearance. She wears her hair loosely with no bangs, and it forms a zig-zag part on her head. Marie wears a black dress with a large, golden, zig-zag pattern in the front from the waist down. Parts of the dress are made of a different fabric. These parts are located on the long sleeves of the dress from the elbows down, and a part below the chest that resembles a girdle-like shape. She wears a pair of white, high-heel shoes that also appear to have a zig-zag pattern on them.
Finally, Marie's most iconic piece of clothing is her large, left eyepatch, which is decorated with a thunderbolt insignia that also appears in her Weapon form.
While hunting Justin, her clothing changed to feature a black sleeveless jacket over a shirt, shorts with patterning similar to her original dress and sandals. These clothes bear a noticeable resemblance to those worn by Joe Buttataki.
Powers and Abilities
PowersMjolnir (ミョルニル, Myoruniru): Perhaps Marie's most acclaimed power is her Demon Weapon transformation into Mjolnir, in which she can take the form of either a hammer or that of a tonfa.  As a Death Weapon, she is one of the most powerful Demon Weapons present in the series.
- Wavelength Driving: Marie in her weapon form has the ability to drive a wavelength into a opponent. This was powerful enough to cause Justin Law massive internal damage, despite him being merged with The Clown via Madness Fusion.
Healing Wavelength (ヒーリング波長, Hīringu hachō):Marie's Soul Wavelength has a calming effect on individuals who're able to achieve soul resonance with the said weapon, which contrasts to the Anti-Demon Wavelength's ability to repel Madness. This allows the weapon the ability to keep the Madness within an individual at bay.
AbilitiesAutonomous Combat Expertise: Unlike ordinary Demon Weapons, Marie Mjolir possess skill outside the need of a Meister by transforming her hand into the hilt of her weapon transformation, evident when she managed to send Justin Law a distance with a punch when the latter underestimated her capabilities. In the anime, Marie has showcase enough skill go against both Medusa Gorgon and Franken Stein in battle and held her own. In addition, she can fully transform her hands and utilize them similar to mallets.
Enhanced Conditioning: In the anime, Marie Mjolnir can jump at incredibly heights, possess great speed and agility, and is durable enough to withstand Franken Stein's Soul Menace.  She's also extremely strong, witnessed when her own strength allows her to send Justin flying as well as uppercut Spirit Albarn high into the air unassisted with her weapon capabilities. She even crushed a toilet with her strength.
- Metsu Shoryuken (滅・昇龍拳, Metsu Shouryuuken): Marie delivers a powerful punch to her opponent in the midsection with incredible strength, lifting them off their feet and follows up with a Shoryuken, a jumping uppercut in which the user spins upwards with some horizontal movement as well, knocking the opponent to the ground and inflicting damage. This move is taken from the Street Fighter series.
- Internal Electricity (体内発電, Tainai Hatsuden): Through either intense concentration or emotional distress, Marie is capable of generating a significant electrical current at a precise point within her own body, which incinerates any foreign body that is currently residing inside of them.
- Soul Resonance
- Lightning Rope: A hyper-nerve induction technique that gives a massive boost to a Meister's physical capabilities by sending electric pulses through the Meister's motor system. However, it comes with the cost of putting too much strain on her body. This technique was used when partnered with Franken Stein and enabled him to be fast enough for Justin Law to not keep up and even produce after images.
- Triquetra Attack: A powerful Soul Resonance technique used during Lightning Rope in which Marie's Tonfo form distorts dramatically, instead becoming two intertwining beams of energy that emanate from a single triquetra symbol. When this symbol collides with a target, it greatly enlarges and results in a powerful destructive blast, which is represented by numerous towering and intertwined pillars of electricity. The concussive force produced by this blast is capable of obliterating even Justin Law while in his Madness Fusion form, leaving only a few tattered remains behind.
After the death of B.J., she left the DWMA with Stein in order to find Joe's murderer and also because his last request was for her to keep an eye on Stein.
Tying Things Up, and New BeginningsMarie only reappears after discovering the truth behind Joe's death, revealing that it was in fact Justin Law, a fellow Death Weapon, who had committed the murder. It is then explained that her and Stein's long absence was due largely to the difficulty in discovering Justin's location. She firstly questions him about his reason for killing B.J., only receiving simply the reply that his "Soul Perception ability was too dangerous...the Kishin-sama was unable to rest easily". After hearing this and deducing that his next target was Maka, she charges towards him and hits him in the chest. It appears her attack has little effect but after extending part of her weapon from her fist, Justin is sent flying yet he still manages to recover in mid-air to land safely. Observing this ineffective result, Marie assumes her weapon form and both her and Stein go on the offensive. The resulting speed, caused by Marie's abilities, easily overwhelms Justin and forces him to retreat using an artifact. This leaves Marie and Stein in the desert outskirts of Death City, with nothing but the coffin Justin left behind.
After her group's infiltration of Noah's hideout, she, along with others, are quickly and violently beaten down by a combination of Noah's abilities in controlling the Book of Eibon and the power provided to him by Brew. Downed Justin Law casually walks over to her preaching some type of insane babble that could be a type of madness pray. Asking him to stop this Madness and how much can sin he can possibly live with she is quickly silenced by Justin as he strikes her face with his bladed arm. Her condition is unknown but she was seen to be alive after Spartoi escape from the book. However, after Stein and the others break free from Noah’s creatures, she seems to be unconscious as Stein holds her, possibly monitoring her condition.
After the assault against Noah's group and the damage done to her by Justin Law's vicious attack, Marie made a full recovery from the battle. However, she also arrives to inform Maka and Black☆Star that, due to Crona attacking the Eastern European Branch of the the DWMA, killing the branches Death Weapon - the Demon Cannon Ball Tsar Prushka and his partner - along with destroying a city in the Ukraine, Crona has been added to Shinigami's target list and Spartoi have been issued orders to find and execute them.
Battle on the Moon
Although Free inadvertently removes Marie and her peers to the Earth, missing their return to the Moon by a significant distance, Eruka Frog is able to use her Calculation Magic to locate Asura's position in the sky to put into Stein's mind. Stein then is able to aim and throw Marie in Lightning Rope form to within striking distance of Asura. While Stein's throw fails to connect, Marie retains enough autonomy to circle back around Asura three more times to hit him directly. However, Asura knocks Marie back into the atmosphere, and it is the combined work of Sid Barett and Akane☆Hoshi, wielding Spirit Albarn and Clay Sizemore respectively, to keep her from flying away.
With her peers on the Moon's surface, Marie watches her students fight Asura. Thanks to the work of Maka and, from within Asura, Crona, Asura's Black Blood is expelled to form a barrier around the Moon to protect his exit. As Marie is still on the Moon with her peers, there is no time for Maka and her classmates to rescue Marie in time. With no hope of escape, Marie holds onto her fellow teachers and soldiers, waiting for the Black Blood to engulf her.
However, thanks to the arrival of Maba and the Witch Judge, Marie is teleported off the Moon and back to the Death Weapon Meister Academy. She is shortly reunited with Maka and her students, with Maka running up to her (and past her own father) for a hug. While Marie comments how bruised Maka is from this battle against Asura, Maka (after noticing Marie's breasts due to Crona's Madness from the Moon) can sense a second soul wavelength from Marie's body, confirming her pregnancy.
At the coronation celebrating Kid's ascension as the new Shinigami, Marie and Stein receive thanks from Kid for her work as his teacher and in hope that she will continue to be his mentor. Marie says she is confident students like Kid and Black☆Star are sufficiently powerful to face all future threats, which will be necessary for the next generation. At that moment, Kid senses Marie's pregnancy. Stein then explains that he learned Marie was pregnant with their child before Death sent them to the Moon. While Stein opposed her presence on the mission due to her pregnancy, he could not convince her otherwise. Stein has to give up cigarettes during this pregnancy, but he is pleased to have a new "guinea pig," prompting Marie's annoyance.
- "Mjolnir" in her name is a reference to Thor's hammer from Norse mythology. The hammer was one of the most powerful weapons in the world, capable of crushing almost anything.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 23
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 113
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Volume 2; Chapter 13, page 164
- ↑ In Chapter 32, Volume 9, Marie finds Crona and Ragnarok 'lost' in the depths of the academy, and takes them back to their room. A notice in the corner of the panel showing their return says "Two hours later...". (Yen Press translation)
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 61
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga:Chapter 64
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 37 — Joe: That's strange...Marie's Soul Wavelength has a calming effect on people.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 37
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 15; Chapter 61, page 133-134
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Soul Eater Anime: Episode 44
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Soul Eater Anime: Episode 45
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 17; Chapter 70, page 104-105
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 23
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 96, pages 30-32
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 111
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 112
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 113
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Volume 1 Translation Notes