"People need fear to survive. We experience it so we can grow stronger!"
Maka Albarn (マカ・アルバーン, Maka Arubān) is a Scythe-Meister (鎌職人 Kama Shokunin in Japanese) and her Demon Weapon partner is Soul Eater, the Demon Scythe. She is currently a Two-Star Meister, a Death Weapon Meister, and formerly a member of Spartoi. She stands out as the lead protagonist of the Soul Eater series.
Around the same time Black☆Star was born, which was thirteen years prior to the beginning of Soul Eater, Maka was born to her father Spirit Albarn (at the age of eighteen) and his wife. Throughout her childhood, she became displeased with her father's behavior as he cheated on his wife, which led to a strain between the two. She follows in her mother's footsteps and aspires to be one of Shibusen's top students and to collect 99 Evil human souls (Kishin eggs in the anime) and one witch soul to create a Death Scythe, which she hopes will be more powerful then her own father.
Maka is bright, cheerful, direct and confident, smart, and hard working- in stark contrast to her partner Soul Eater, who is very laid-back, more likely to act on impulse, and impatient in comparison. She frequently studies and prefer to stay in her house and read or study, emphasized by her lack of ability to play games such as basketball despite her athleticism and ignorant of it's various rules. Maka is also caring and compassionate, willing to easily help a friend when in need with no personal gain in the end and help a newcomer such as Tsugumi Harudori on her first day. She is somewhat of a self-depreciation hero. She achieves many great accomplishments throughout the series, and she always wants to help others and do the right things, thus she is well respected. She is also known to follow the rules of Shibusen and rarely breaks them, even going so far as to not kill Gopher despite his attempt on her life. and scolded Crona on their first meeting, telling them to save their "excuses" for Death himself. Maka also is capable to having great compassion and understanding, enough to not only befriend Crona despite their crimes but even put forth effort in helping her when they was seemingly forgone into Madness.
She is known to be strong willed and mature, unlike those such as her partner and Black☆Star and tends to look down on such behaviors, often calling them idiots. Out of all the main protagonists, she is seen mostly as the most "normal" of the cast. It's been stated by multiple people like her own father that many of her good qualities come from her mother and even possess a mindset in which once she starts, barely anything stops her. In the anime, it is expressed her best quality is her bravery by Crona.
Despite this, Maka herself possess flaws and insecurities. She has been noted by her partner to be stubborn and gloomy and is sometimes prone to make decisions without regarding the other's feelings If she feels justified enough. She also views the typical male sex negatively, finding them to be nothing more then "pigs" looking only at the sex appeal of females, a notion in which may have manifested thanks to her father's lecherous actions and cheating on her mother. She also can be said to have temper issues, occasionally striking out those who annoy her with her Maka Chop and is not above striking her teachers such as Sid Barett. She is also not above breaking the rules, such as taking advantage of her father's status to check out a book beyond her rank though did so to try to help Crona, but ended up checking out the Book of Eibon's Manuscript and knew it was not only a bad idea but felt guilty about it so ended up leaving "M" as her signature. Having taken immediate interests in the revelation of possessing a Grigori Soul, Maka was described by Soul as "obsessed" with the "angel stuff" until she found her new-found mindset hindering her ability to fight a fellow possessor of the Grigori, Gopher.
One of the her main insecurities seen early on was her fear of her partner, Soul, being the one who "carried" her throughout her battles. So much so she strived at one point to get stronger to the point of ignoring her partner's personal views on the situation and blamed herself for Soul falling to Crona and Ragnarok during their first fight. She also struggled with accepting her partner's celebrity status as a Death Scythe, feeling that he became one because of his own efforts with her contribution being useless as well as being jealous of not only Liz's sharing the same interest in music and understanding it better with Soul but also Patty's ability in being a even better fighter then her. This caused her to break down so much, she was almost willing to let Giriko sexually assault her and was initially unwilling to help Soul fight the adversary until she came to her senses. Despite being close to her father as a child, much of their relationship became strained when he cheated on her mother and made her secretly fear rejection from people she cared about, most notably her Demon Weapon partner, Soul.
According to Soul, her hobbies includes reading books and doing puzzles. and in the anime, is secretly fond of the "Pon Pon Dance", a fact in which she is embarrassed about. Her favorite book is The Dark Side of the Moon by the fictional author of Lorda Donsany. She also stated she always wished to go inside a book, having been able to do so when she traveled into the Book of Eibon.
Main article: Maka Albarn/Relationships
Maka is a teenaged, petite young woman with ash blonde hair which she keeps in pigtails, although there are certain times she may stylize them into buns or wear them straight down. Maka's primary outfit is a typical schoolgirl outfit consisting of a white blouse with a yellow sweater vest, a green striped tie, a red plaid skirt, and black boots with white buckles. When using Soul, she usually wears white gloves. Maka also wears a trench coat with a cloak-like end (which alters its shape in various parts of both the manga and anime). In her initial appearance in the first chapter, her trench coat was so long that, when buttoned up, it seemed that she was not wearing a skirt.
When not in class, such as when at her apartment, Maka dresses less formally. When in the apartment, she frequently wears a hoodie sweater and pants, a shirt with slacks, jeans, or a skirt, or plaid pajamas and slippers. When studying in her apartment for the Ultimate Written Exam, Maka wears her hair in odango and wears an outfit similar to a changshan. When she began playing basketball, she wore a sweatpants and a hoodie sweater; she also inherited a baseball cap from Patty Thompson, which she gave to Maka to wear as captain of their basketball team with Black☆Star for the bet that they lost. When recovering in the hospital after being paralyzed by Arachne's spider web, Maka wore striped pajamas--and had a small mustache and Black☆Star's signature drawn onto her face with permanent marker by the ninja. After dressing for school, while preparing breakfast for Soul, she wears slippers decorated with angry eyes, needle noses, and kanji for "Smash" and "Kill."
Maka's soul, when viewed by Stein, has an orange-like color and has her signature pigtails. Some comments from Ragnarok and Maka herself suggest that Maka's soul is quite small, especially when compared to those of others, such as Black☆Star's (although, like others, her soul grows in size considerably after she grows more powerful). When resonating with Soul, these "ponytails" turn into wings, revealing her soul to be a Grigori Soul, and her Soul Wavelength takes on the form of feathers.
When Maka joins Spartoi, her outfit changes, though it still shows similarities to her previous attire. Maka's Spartoi uniform is very similar to that of a Japanese schoolgirl's sailor uniform with the coloring of the classic Spartoi uniform: a white blouse attached with a blue sailor-style collar with a red necktie that has a pink coiled tip and a short, blue, pleated skirt. Alongside this uniform, Maka wears black tights and the classic white Spartoi shoes, but stops wearing tights a few chapters later. Like her previous outfit, Maka wears a long trench coat, though it is white instead of black and has the Spartoi logo on the left shoulder as well as the fact that the cloak end splits in two. Her pigtails are fashioned using skull hairbands similar to Shinigami's mask. She also still wears white gloves.
In the Lust Chapter in the Book of Eibon, Maka is transformed into a boy, having switched genders like the other members of Spartoi. Out of all the characters, apart from Pot of Fire and Pot of Thunder, she changes the least in appearance. She has shorter hair and wears a suit, complete with the usual gloves
- Maka's name is an anagram of 'Kama' which is Japanese for 'scythe.' In one piece of early concept art, Maka's name was also written in kanji, 摩訶. This may mean that Maka's original kanji-based name was a pun on the Japanese phrase 摩訶不思議 (Maka Fushigi, meaning 'very mysterious' or 'supernatural' in Japanese) before being changed to katakana and acting as an anagram of 'Kama' instead.
- Maka's theme song is 'Psychedelic Souljam.' She also has a character song with Soul: 'Mauve Iro no Sympathy.'
- In the Official popularity poll taken by the manga's readers, Maka ranked 3rd, but in the Second Official popularity poll taken by the manga's readers, Maka ranked 2nd.
- The title of Maka's favorite book, The Dark Side of the Moon (月の裏 Tsuki no Ura in Japanese) by the fictional author of 'Lorda Donsany' (ローダ・ドンセイニ Roda Donseini). is a possible allusion to the 1973 musical album of the same name by the band Pink Floyd. This allusion is not only yet another one of Atsushi Ohkubo's numerous musical allusions in Soul Eater but yet another allusion to Pink Floyd: Sid Barett's name is inspired by one of the band's musicians, and the title "Dark Side of the Moon" is the title to the manga's final arc.
- The author, 'Lorda Donsany,' is a reference to famous fantasy writer and dramatist, Edward Plunkett, Lord Dunsany, 18th Baron of Dunsany. Lord Dunsany's works greatly influenced HP Lovecraft, who once wrote, "There are my 'Poe' pieces and my 'Dunsany' pieces—but alas—where are my Lovecraft pieces?" Lovecraft's works are alluded repeatedly in the Soul Eater series, particularly when referring to Eibon.
- In Volume 18 of the Soul Eater manga (which contained the Spartoi's adventures through the Book of Eibon), Atsushi Ōkubo created a horse-racing style table of the Soul Eater characters who have had their genders switched, and made a race as to who is the most lustful out of them all in a 'Lust Race.' Maka was given a racehorse name like the other characters, which was Maka Impact, named possibly after the famous Japanese racehorse Deep Impact. Her popularity level was 56, but the odds of her being the most lustful was quite low.
- Maka's surname, Albarn, may be an allusion to Damon Albarn, musician of the British group Blur and co-creator of the virtual band Gorillaz, including the singing voice for Gorillaz's lead singer 2D. This is one of many musical allusions that Atsushi Ohkubo includes in his manga.
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 4
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 0.1 (Prologue #1)
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 42
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Soul Eater Manga: Prologue #1
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: 24
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 1
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 65
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 6
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 19
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 106
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 3
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 90
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 51
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 10
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 69
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 72
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 64-66
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 10-12
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 74
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 12
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 72: Volume 17, Yen Press English translation, page 154
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Prologue 1
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 1
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 9, Chapter 23. Anime: Episode 12, Episode 17, Episode 25.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 40
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 12. Anime: Episode 14.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 23. Anime: Episode 25, Episode 41, Episode 51.
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 27, Chapter 28. Episode 28.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 1
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 2. Anime: Episode 5
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 100
- ↑ Wikipedia
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 16: Yen Press Translation, Page 186
|E.A.T Students||Black☆Star • Death the Kid • Elizabeth Thompson • Harvar D. Éclair • Hero • Kilik Rung • Maka Albarn • Ox Ford • Patricia Thompson • Fire and Thunder • Soul "Eater" Evans • Tsubaki Nakatsukasa • Kim Diehl • Jacqueline O'Lantern Dupré• Tom • CronaAnime • RagnarokAnime • Akane☆Hoshi • Clay Sizemore • Elizabeth Thompson|
|N.O.T Students||Anya Hepburn • Mai Thi Hoàng • Kana Altair • Meme Tatane • Tsugumi Harudori •Hao •Raid • Aaron • Ao Hoshino|
|Former Students||CronaManga • RagnarokManga|
|Human||Akane☆Hoshi • Black☆Star • Maka Albarn • Franken Stein • Hao • Anastasia Yngling • Meme Tatane • Arthur • Ox Ford • Tom • Zubaidah • Hero • Alexandre • Joe Buttataki • Feodor|
|Demon Weapon||Elizabeth Thompson • Patricia Thompson|
|Shinigami||Death • Asura • Death the Kid|