Kishin (鬼神, kishin; Literally meaning "Demon God") are beings created as the final result of consuming an unimaginable amount of pure Souls.
To become a Kishin, one must consume a large quantity of souls. Only Demon Weapons, however , can consume souls. According to Spirit, those who undergo this process lose their sanity in their progress.[sourcing needed]
Not much is known about the characteristics of Kishins, as they're only 2 seen within the series. It seems, however, individuals who're a Kishin gain a third eye. Beyond that, it seems that they retain their own individual traits. This individual will also excrete a Madness Wavelength of such high density that it can encompass the entire world, driving those who fall to it to utter insanity.
It's also very well possible that depending on a person's traits & characteristics, those who become a Kishin embody their own type of madness. This is supposedly how the Madness of Boobs came into existence, despite the ridiculousness of such a madness to exist. It came to be due to Crona's yearning for Medusa's maternal love and the fact cleavage is usually associated with motherhood. And this happened after using the power of the Book of Eibon and Brew, gaining the power of a Kishin.
The first and only kishin created so far, Asura, was ironically part of the group which was led by Shinigami himself to rid the world of corrupted souls, the Eight Powerful Warriors and is the first son of Shinigami himself. Out of fear, Asura ate pure human souls that were not part of Shinigami's list. Asura became so fearful, that he would soon eat his own weapon partner, Vajra. Asura was eventually stopped by Shinigami and had his entire skin removed, his blood drained and used the same skin as a sack for his body. As a result of this, Shinigami rooted his soul to Death City to keep Asura sealed and founded Shibusen to prevent the creation of any new Kishin.
In the manga during the Battle on the Moon, Crona used the Book of Eibon and BREW to gain enough power to seal Asura on the moon. He/she sported a third etye as he/she was gaining power. It may hint that Crona can either be considered a Kishin or has the power equivalent to one.
- Ironically, while it is possible for Demon Weapons to consume souls to gain the status of a Kishin, only 1 characters have successfully became a Kishin in the series and it was due to the use of a Dark Weapon.
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 18
- ↑ In Episode 18 and Manga chapter in which it is adapted from, Kilik asked Death how was it possible. Death alluded to the fact he wasn't human. And it is known Meisters can gain abilities through resonance
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 113; This came from Death the Kid himself on the naming and how it came to be. Despite how ridiculous and outright hilarious it may seem, it's fact for Soul Eater
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 112