Directory: Characters → Kim Diehl
|Voiced by (English)||
|Classification||Meister , Witch|
Kim has the appearance of a classic schoolgirl, with the typical school uniform, which is altered throughout the series to reflect Shibusen's current version. Kim has a short, green, pleated skirt, a lighter-green sweater, and a green sailor-style collar tied like a necktie, with a Shinigami-esque skull pinned on its left. Kim also wears thigh high black socks. She has green eyes and short, pink hair. Kim is said to be very cute by many characters. After joining Spartoi, Kim retained her schoolgirl outfit and still wears the same outfit as her partner. A white blouse with stitches where the buttons should be, attached with a blue, sailor-style collar that is tied in a knot instead of a tie. She has a short, blue, pleated skirt and tigh high white socks and shoes. She wears an opened long, white, trench coat with the belts left hanging.
Kim occasionally adorns a more Witch-like outfit, wearing a robe and hat that matches her Tanuki theme. Her scarf also has a fluffy tail on it, much like a Tanuki tail.
She is the object of Ox's affections, but she constantly turns him down, chiefly due to the fact that he's not rich and also because of his eccentric hairstyle. Because of her past experiences, she has come to depend on money, as it does not discriminate between its handlers. Consequently, when she is performing some sort of service for free, she would end up remarking that she should be getting paid.
Kim also seems to be rather self-conscious, as she fled from Shibusen when she was revealed to be a witch, believing she would be spurned by her friends, despite not hearing what they had to say in the matter.
As seen in the special chapter of Soul Eater, Kim is not above taking advantage of other people; this is seen when she orders Hiro to buy her food.
Kim is a witch that wanted to get away from the witches' assembly and lifestyle. Her animal theme is a tanuki (Japanese raccoon dog) and her magic chant is longer then most magic users, "Tanunucoon Raccooncoon Ponpon Ponkitanu Pon Pon Pon". Because of Kim's forte in magic, regeneration, which goes against the instinct for witches to use their magic in destruction, she was cast out of the witch society and thus became a Shibusen student.
- Jacqueline O. Lantern Dupré
- Jacqueline is Kim's partner and has exhibited extreme loyalty towards her, despite the fact that Kim is a witch. Her loyalty is seen when Jackie ran away with Kim and joined Arachnophobia, a place they thought would accept Kim. It should also be noted that both Jacqueline and Kim wear the exact same clothing, even after joining Spartoi.
- Ox Ford
- She is the object of Ox's affections, but she constantly turns him down. However, she experiences a change of heart when he was willing to accept her despite her being a witch. It also seems that Kim has started to reciprocate Ox's feelings, as was hinted when Kid stormed in to the girl's shower's while Kim and Jacqueline was showering and stated that she, "Haven't even shown Ox anything yet."
- Maka Albarn
- Even though they are not shown interacting much in the series, they are still good friends. Which is shown after the witches mass/clown mission, that Kim goes straight over to Maka (completely ignoring Ox in the process) and giving her a hi-five and asking each other how they were doing.
- Angela Leon
- Angela was adopted by Shibusen after the death of Mifune. Due to the constant threat that Angela will be consumed by the sway of magic as she grows older, Kim proposed that she will periodically expose her magic to Angela with the hopes that it will suppress Angela's destructive instincts.
- Tsugumi Harudori
- Kim meets Tsugumi when she is about to be attacked by Ms.Misery. Upon doing this she takes all of Tsugumi's money but loosens up after hanging out with Tsugumi a little more.
- Anya Hepburn
- Kim helps Anya after she attacked by a traitor by secretly using her healing magic. Anya doesn't think much of Kim.
- Meme Tatane
- Meme has respect for Kim as a superior and a friend but it is quite possible Meme always forgets about Kim due to her spacey personality. Kim doesn't seem to mind this.
- Death the Kid
- When Kid, Eruka, Kim, Alisa, Free, and Lisa are captured by Mabaa, in Kid's speech, Kid states that he and Kim are in the middle of a "Physical Relationship". Kim responds blushing and angrily stating that what he said about her was completely "unnecessary" and says, "It was only that One Time", This however could just be referring to when Kid walked in unexpected into the Girls Washroom and saw her naked. The upset Kim then cried,"I haven't even shown Ox anything yet..."
Magic:Due to being a Witch, Kim is skilled in magic. Her animal theme is a tanuki (Japanese raccoon dog), her magic chant is longer then most magic users, being "Tanunucoon Raccooncoo n Ponpon Ponkitanu Pon Pon Pon".
- Regeneration Magic: Kim's spells specialize in regenerative and healing abilities. The first of these spells she displayed after receiving an attack by Harvar, completely healing the injuries she suffered.
- Soul Protect: Kim used this ability to sneak into Shibsuen
Meister Capabilities: Despite being a Witch, she's seen being a very capable meister.
Some of her techniques initiate through transformation before they can function. To effectively manipulate Jacqueline's weapon form, Kim needs to wear gloves while wielding her, due to the fire based nature of the attacks.
- Change "Pixie": It transforms Jacqueline into a rocket-powered broom, by inserting and then extending a bar attached to the lamp by a chain, allowing her flight capabilities.
- Wollantern: An attack using Jacqueline who explodes in the air launching her lantern form at the enemy then exploding again on contact with the enemy.
Kim is seen with Ox and Kirikou as Maka runs past them, crying.
Kim and her partner, along with the other Shibusen students, were sent on a mission to retrieve 'Brew' before Arachnophobia could. Stein tells her to use Jacqueline to send out a signal for Shibusen to retreat if he and Marie do not return within 20 minutes. Kim is next with the group using Jacqueline to act as a heater. She fusses and states she should be charging people for it. When they are ambushed by opposing forces she stays with Ox and Kirikou to fight off the enemies and Golems present at the center of the island.
When the 20 minutes nears its end, she uses Jackie to fly above and form the signal for retreat. Sid catches view of the signal and retreats. As he emerges, Kim and Jackie informs him of Stein and Marie not returning and that Ox and Kirikou are still in battle.
Kim and Jackie are at a Witch Massing. Kim, dressed as a raccoon comments that her double life is hard. Jackie tells her to hang in there, and that she will be with her. Kim puffs, and states they have to go and make some money soon.
Kim and Jackie are alone somewhere. Kim worries that, if the witch assembly discover she has infiltrated Shibusen, after such an act had been strictly prohibited, she would be excommunicated. Furthermore, if Shibusen discovers she is a witch, she will surely be alone. Jackie assures her that she will never be alone. Kim apologizes to Jackie for getting her caught up in her troubles. Jackie reminds her that they are Shibusen students--they would never abandon their friends. After the talk, they head back to Shibusen.
When she reaches Shibusen, Ox notices and greets her, but she lands right past him. Ox tells her that Sid and Nygus were awaiting them in Shinigami's base. Nygus appears and asks Kim and Jackie to come with her. An officer grabs hold of Jackie, and she responds by materializing her arm into lantern form and burns the official. Kim calls for Jackie and they fly off. Kim looks back with tears in her eyes.
They land in an area surrounded by trees and begins to worry of her dim situation. She thinks what the other students could be saying about her. She falls into Jackie's arms and wishes to go back. A spider soon comes down and is followed by a luxury limousine. The window rolls down to reveal Mosquito. He tells Kim and Jackie to get in, for they have nowhere else to go. Despite some defiance from Jackie, he reminds Kim of her situation. Kim goes in and Jackie follows suit.
Operation: Capture Baba Yaga's Castle
After Kim's witch heritage is discovered by Shibusen, she flees with Jacqueline in fear. In reality the school had full intention to hear her out but the two men sent to approach her acted in a too hostile manner, provoking her into running. Kim and her weapon then become allied with the group Arachnophobia, a group that serves the witch Arachne. It was here that they were betrayed and forced to suffer the Morality Manipulation Machine.
During the Shibusen attack on Arachnophobia's base, Kim is confronted by Ox, who risks his life to break Kim free from the brainwash caused by the machine. When Ox breaks his antenna-like hairstyle (which he openly states is intentional) he gets through to her, offering to create a place where she can go. She now seems to reciprocate Ox's feelings. They both then searched out and found Kilik but before they could proceed any further the group were severely affected by Arachne's insanity, which had spread throughout the castle. Thanks to the actions of Maka and Soul, they were saved and able to aid in the conclusion of the assault.
Tying Things Up, and New Beginnings
Due to the preceding circumstances; Kim, with her hair newly cut shorter then before, is summoned to Shinigami's room alongside Jacqueline, Tsubaki, and Angela. Sid and Shinigami discuss the issue of what they should do with the two witches. Sid notes that Kim's regeneration magic is in conflict with the natural destructive magic, known as the witches sway of magic and is unlikely to be influenced; and that Angela is still too young for the sway of magic to have taken any hold, but it is no guarantee that she will not become a threat as she grows older. Horrified by this, Kim proposes that, if she were to periodically expose Angela to her regenerative magic, she might be able to suppress Angela's destructive instincts. She also proposes that, if that does not work, there is the option of using the Moral Manipulation Machine, brought back from Baba Yaga's Castle, on Angela.
Without much thought, Shinigami agrees to let Angela stay.
Kim is introduced in the middle of sparring with Patti--who is in her fifth match in a row--but is both quickly and easily defeated by her. Kim, along with her partner are seen to have become apart of the new Shibusen Elite Unit "Spartoi".
I'm Gonna be an Angel
Kim is seen flying using her weapon, Jackie. This was done in front of Maka and Soul so they can hopefully learn enough information on how to fly in order to do it themselves. Once the demonstration is completed, Kim and Jackie both witness Maka and Soul's first attempts at flying, which fails miserably when they spiral out of control and land rather ungracefully on the ground.
After further and largely more successful flight training; Kim, Maka and their respective partners decide to return to Shibusen. Maka's rather ineffective wings cause Kim to question whether she can go a little faster, however, it appears that she's at her limit. When she subsequently starts arguing with Soul, Kim considers leaving but realizes her duty is to accompany them back. Although, it doesn't take much convincing afterward to provoke her into returning without the others.
Kim is one of the witches (alongside Risa and Arisa) that assists Eruka in her Arithmetic Magic spell in order to transfer members of Spartoi into the Book of Eibon. Later, she hears from Ox that Tezca Tlipoca has died, and is visibly worried for her peers.
Kim and Jacqueline, along with Maka and Soul, accompany Stein to Russia to help with the recovery of those who fell under the Madness. As Kim heals one of the paitients, he looks at her and believes her to be cute.
There is Someone to Admire
Kim was present during the Lord Death's order to put Crona on the list of people to be captured and executed. She complained that Lord Death is being hard on Maka.
Battle on the Moon
She, Kid, Eruka, Free, Alisa and Lisa head to Witch City for negotiations for Shibusen, only to be caught and put on trial.
Soul Eater Not!
In Soul Eater Not!, Kim comes to the rescue of a hysterical Tsugumi Harudori after the crazed supervisor, Mizari, ties her to her bed to teach her how to act like "Mary". She saves her with a heel drop to the head, stating "the newbies sure are loud". The next morning, Tsugumi sees Kim in the halls and thanks her for saving her the night before. Kim states, in a dark tune, that in return for saving her, she should give her all her money for the week and after handing over all but a little for one last meal, she leaves Tsugumi with a wave and smile. Tsugumi was unaware that the "Dorm Witch" that she was warned about earlier is in fact Kim.
In the next chapter, Kim And Ox are seen in the DWMA cafeteria together. After a short discussion, Kim hits Ox and leaves steamed. Later on, when Ox approaches Tsugumi to give her back the money Kim took, Kim can be seen hiding behind a wall listening to their conversation. After Ox apologizes for Kim and leaves, she can be seen with a sad expression on her face while she states that Ox is "such an idiot".
She becomes a regular around Tsugumi and her friends, often seeking ways to obtain more money through their hard work. But she encounters Jacqueline, a Weapon and her future partner, who does not give off a friendly feel. But unknown to her, Tsugumi and her friends try to 'pair' up the two as Jacqueline could not find a partner.
The girls and Jacqueline attempt to befriend Kim with an omelet, which was horrible, and style, which she also did not take notice of. While alone Kim encounters a puppy who she tries to shoo away, but is later severely injured by wooden beams. Kim rescues the puppy and heals it with her magic. But not too far away, Jacqueline witnesses the act, which catches Kim off guard, denying what she had just done. However, Kim tells her story to her, saying she despised the ways of the witches and hid out in Death City, knowing that it was also dangerous to her life. But Jacqueline reassures Kim that she won't expose her secret to anyone.
- Kim's animal theme as a witch, the tanuki, rather suits her personality. The tanuki is portrayed in Japanese folklore to be associated with wealth, gold and money. Likewise, Kim is also very attached to money.
- Much like Angela, Kim is a young witch with no actual biological parents mentioned in the series.