Maka's mother is a scythe meister who is very skilled, probably as she created a Death Scythe. She has earned the admiration of her daughter and been acknowledged by another scythe meister, Death.In the anime, it is also mentioned that she possesses the anti-demon wavelength and was able to utilize both the Witch-Hunt Slash & Devil-Hunt Slash. However, despite her apparent skills, Spirit mentioned that her ability is not in the league of Franken Stein's.
Time in the Academy
Maka's mother became partnered with Spirit Albarn during her time in the academy. Prior to doing so, she was the individual noticing Franken Stein performing experiments on Spirit, which eventually put a stop to him. She then became his partner and was the one to make him a Death Scythe, in which she created the most powerful known Death Scythe.
Marriage and Divorce
Overtime, both her and Spirit fell in love. She became pregnant with their daughter, Maka, who was born when they were about eighteen. However, due to his acension as a Death Scythe and womanizing ways, she eventually became fed up with their marriage. Years later, she divorced Spirit and also took custody of Maka. She then presumably left Death City.
- The erroneous belief that Maka's mother is named Kami comes from Japanese etiquette. A wife that is no longer present, either due to divorce or death, is often referred to as motokamisan (roughly meaning 'ex-wife') in lieu of their actual name.
- ↑ (Funimation Sub) Soul Eater Anime: Episode 39
- ↑ Soul Eater volume 1(Yen Press): "You're such a fine little scythe-meister, Maka-chan, just like your mother was."
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Soul Eater Anime: Episode 37
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Chapter 2 — Spirit: "As far as talent and skill, he's way above my wife....I mean ex-wife."
- ↑ Soul Eater volume 4 (Yen Press): "Is that you and your perverted dad? He looks really young..." (Soul) "Yeah...I was born when my dad was eighteen." (Maka)