Directory: Characters → Justin Law
|Voiced by (English)||
|Classification||Weapon , Death scythe|
Justin Law (ジャスティン＝ロウ, Jasutin Rō) was the seventeen-year-old Death scythe in charge of Death Weapon Meister Academy's Europe division. Justin used to be seen as devout in his services to Death, however, as of now; he has demonstrated his service to Asura as a result of having succumbed to Madness. He was also briefly part of Noah's group when he was searching for Asura's hiding place. His weapon form is a Weapon guillotine, which prompts his Death scythe nick-name, "The Executioner". He is also infamous for his consistent listening of loud music via headphones, which almost always leaves him unable to hear anything. Fortunately, he does possess the ability to read people's lips when speaking to them.
Justin's personality can be described as polite and zealous. He is seen smiling numerous times in the series and addresses his peers and enemies with suffixes. He does not openly look down on anyone, nor chastises them, yet is prepared to kill when he is given orders from the Shinigami.
One of Justin's most notable characteristics was his devout faith in Shinigami to whom he prays and give thanks for everything. His faith affects the clothes he wears and how he typically speaks, using chiefly religious terms even within his normal sentences.
Another characteristic is his earphones, which he is never seen without and has the volume of the music turned up rather high. The volume is so high; it prevents him from hearing when people speak to him. Because of this, or out of necessity, Justin has the ability to read lips but due to habit and fact that Shinigami is wearing a mask, he cannot understand him. This also applies to Tezca Tlipoca, who spoke to Justin on several occasions in the past but never realized that Justin could not actually hear him. Another drawback is that he tends to speak loudly due to his constant use of headphones. This also annoys other people who are not aware that he is capable of reading lips, leading them to think that he is ignoring them.
Justin was later revealed to have been a spy for Noah, defecting to his gang and demonstrating his true faith in Asura. After this change of heart, Justin even went as far as murdering Joe Buttataki simply to create a rift between Shibusen and Stein, while also preventing B.J. from discovering his real intentions. From this point onward, Justin has demonstrated that he has developed a sadistic side, taking off his earphones for the first time in the series just to hear the rhythmic sound of Gopher beating up Death the Kid. He casually spoke of killing Joe Buttataki, in the name of the Kishin, after meeting Stein and Marie and smiled in agreement when Stein asked if he was going to kill Maka next. When Marie attacked him, he insulted her by claiming her power was not enough because she was a woman, even if she is a Death Scythe .
As he spends more time under the influence of the Kishin's madness, Justin seems to have lost more and more of his original personality; when confronted by Sid, Marie, and Stein at Noah's base he raves manically to the sky as he fights them, shouting nonsense words. Later, when in the Ukraine to investigate Crona's presence there, he appears far more disturbed and sadistic than ever before; demonstrated by the many distorted faces he makes and his violent nature which seems to be growing in ferocity.
Also ever since abandoning his following of Shinigami for the Kishin he has chosen to pray to moon, where his god resides which is in a way similar to how the ancient Greeks prayed to the Greek Gods.
In the anime he is much different than in the manga, as in the anime he stays loyal to the Shinigami throughout the whole series, as opposed to in the manga where he defects to Asura.
Mental WeaknessesJustin has currently shown three prime and crucial weaknesses in regards to his level of sanity:
1. People who are opposed to the Kishin being concerned for him.
2. Reflection on the person he used to be before falling to Madness.
3. Strong images of, and/or reflection towards past emotions towards Death.
All three points of weakness illustrate Justin's thin hope for salvage or else, defeat. Justin became enraged at Tezca Tlipoca during their final battle because of Tezca's constant open concern for Justin and persistent mercy. As a victim of Madness, Justin becomes confused as to why anyone of the opposing alignment would worry about him. Enough of this frustration can drive Justin to fearsome violence or utter disorientation. Justin also seems to have an even larger issue in dealing with reflections of his life before he fell to Madness, primarily including things associated with Death. When Tezca transmits both images of Justin as he was before and Death to Justin in the "Love Triangle" chapter of Soul Eater, Justin reacts almost as if the images were slightly bringing him back to sanity. He becomes dizzy and disorientated, holding his head, and immediately orders Tezca to stop. This weakness may illustrate a hope for Justin's return to sanity, especially if he were to somehow face Death.
Fall To MadnessSometime after the Battle for Brew, Justin disappeared into unknown events, and in the process, somehow succumbed to Madness. How this became so is currently uncertain. From what can be told, Justin somehow came across a particular Clown that more than likely became the source of what drove Justin into insanity. From what can be assumed, Justin encountered this Clown during his mission to search for Kishin Asura, of which was assigned to him by Death shortly before the battle for Brew on Lost Island. It is most likely thought to be the Clown Maka fought a little after the Battle for Brew, in chapter 42 (supported by the Flying Dutchman's comments after Maka returns from the Clown's influence; "That damn Clown... this is why I said that it wouldn't work as well as it did with the other one." which suggests that Justin had been here previously and had subsequently fallen prey to the Clown's madness), although The Clown responsible has yet to have been officially identified, but notably does not look like any other Clown that has ever appeared before.
(A common misconception is that Justin had experienced some type of extreme personal change which made him switch alliances with the DWMA to the Kishin. However, in the "Love Triangle" chapter of Soul Eater, after Tezca Tlipoca seems to transmit an image of Death and how Justin used to be before his fall to Madness to Justin, it is made apparent that Justin did not willingly choose to follow Asura by the reaction he gives towards the transmitted images)
Justin has short, loosely styled blonde hair, light-blue eyes, and wears priest-like attire that makes him resemble somewhat of a Monk. He first wears a white shawl that encompasses all around the upper part of his body from his neck to elbow length. He then wears a Deacon's cross with Death's mask on it over the shawl and has visible headphones (also with Death's mask on them) that emerge from the shawl and into his ears. Under the shawl is a black, ecclesiastical robe. The sleeves of the robe have white crosses on them which expand when Justin partially transforms and his guillotine blade emerges from the cross. The front of the robe also has a portion made of grey fabric that almost makes the robe look like a double-breasted overcoat. This section of the robe has six visible black buttons on it that are symmetrically separated on opposite sides of the grey part to the robe. These buttons also have a cross design. Justin finally wears a pair of black pants, loafers, and a white Zucchetto for a hat.
After Justin falls to Madness, he undergoes an alignment change which lightly affects his wardrobe. He still appears in his priestly attire and Zucchetto; however, the Death worship vanishes, and is altered to a Kishin worship theme. The Deacon's cross with Death's mask design on it changes to a Kishin eye pendant instead, in addition to the same Kishin eyes being featured on Justin's sleeves (instead of the white crosses) and earphones (again, instead of Death's mask).
After Justin's battle against Death Scythe Tezca Tlipoca, the left half of Justin's neck, shoulder, mouth, and left eye have been severely burned by Tezca's Solar Ray. The result is a disturbing and massive scar around all these areas. The unique quality to the scar is that it makes Justin appear almost as if he were on fire, as not only does the burned skin appear to come loose and flag-like off Justin, but the scar seems to also remain at a constant flux, as if moving along with the wind current. The scar, having burned Justin's left side to his mouth, shows that most of Justin's left lip is missing because the skin has burned off. This leaves a good portion of his teeth constantly exposed and visible. Because of this, Justin constantly looks as if he has an insane expression on the left side of his face in addition to a fluorescent left eye appearing within his flame-like, burned skin.
When Justin uses Madness Fusion to combine with his Clown, his appearance changes dramatically. First, he wears what appears as a medieval helmet with a shape similar to that of a Fool in the Middle Ages, this of which covers his entire face with the exception of his mouth. In this form, Justin partially transforms to a greater extent. He loses everything from his white shawl down, and is given the ability to fly. His torso and lower body is replaced by a guillotine, including the blade, the blade's wooden support beams, and the neck shackle guard. Justin's arms are the only part to his actual body that remains present after the shawl, and even these appear disturbingly long. Finally, Justin's hands are replaced by guillotine blades that are held on by an infinitely extending chain.
After his final battle against Tezca Tlipoca, this headgear is also damaged by Tezca's Solar Ray. As expected, the left side to the helmet is burned off and the scarred portion of Justin's face can be seen. However, in this form, Justin's scar looks dramatically different in addition to Justin's face. First, the scar sometimes appears to grow much larger, sometimes even resembling three Kishin Eyes in its shape and form. Secondly, Justin's face appears pitch black along with most of the rest of the scar, and his eye glows. His expression is also beastly fierce and demented, often appearing like he is a different person all together, taking a disturbingly demon-like appearance. There have been some images released that were illustrated and painted by the Author of the Soul Eater series that show the current Justin in color. Although it is unknown if Justin looks any different when he is not fused with his Clown from what has been shown, the illustrations do offer what he looks like when he is combined with his Clown. In these images, Justin's scar appears like a mixture of blue and black flames, with his left eye noticeably glowing a bright red.
Demon Weapon form - Guillotine: Justin's weapon form gives him the ability to produce guillotine blades from certain parts of his body as well as wires to swing the blades and wooden frames to guide them. He is also able to change one of his limbs into a headlock of a guillotine and thus he can effectively keep an opponent "locked" while attacking, greatly enhancing the accuracy of his hits.
Autonomous weapon: Justin is one of the few true representatives of an Autonomous weapon found within the series. This means that he is able to fight alone using transformation of parts of his body into his respective weapon form rather than relying on a Meister in order to fight.
Expert Combatant: In terms of offensive capabilities, he is well versed in numerous close combat techniques that can be enhanced by causing the blade of the guillotine to extend forth from one or both of his forearms. This not only results in the addition of a blade into his normal swipes, but the wire attached to the blade can still be manipulated and he can effectively increase the range of these attacks as well. He's been able to fight on par with both Giriko prior to his fusion with the clown and Medusa & Stein(Holding Marie).
Lipreading: Justin has the ability to understand people without hearing them by reading their lip movement. It's most likely that he adapted this ability to counter his habit of constantly listening to loud music.
Madness: By unknown means, Justin had fallen into deep madness (see Fall to Madness section) and switched sides from DWMA to becoming a most zealous follower of Asura. His most common symptoms of it are maniac laughter and crazed faces. The most dangerous consequence of his Madness is the ability to perform Madness Fusion with Clown which boost his power further.
Stand Alone Techniques
- Carcan Claw: basic restrain techniques. Justin converts the forearm of his left arm into the headlock component of his guillotine weapon form, to grab and restrain one of his opponents limbs, in order to subsequently attack his enemy at close range.
- Holy Jūji-Shūtō: Justin initially causes the guillotine blade of his weapon form to extend outwards from the forearm of his right arm; he then proceeds to perform a powerful vertical strike, followed immediately by an equally devastating horizontal swipe. The resulting "trails" produced by the two slashes, creates the form of a significantly bright and large white cross.
- Law Abiding Silver Gun: arguably Justin's strongest ability demonstrated so far, is able to defeat even the most powerful of defenses and is the only display of how he can manipulate his faith to further reinforce his soul wavelength. The prayer Justin says to do so is as follows:
Oh great Lord of ours who dwells within the City of Death,
May thy name be kept true.
Oh Lord of Death! I am your servant of peace!
I am a pillar of justice!
I am a blade of faith!
In the name of the great Shinigami,
"Law Abiding Silver Gun!"
- Madness Fusion: Justin performs it by fusing with any nearby Clown. The concluding creature is a twisted amalgamation of both Justin's human and weapon forms. This form replaces his hands with small blades on chains that he can multiply and change into various forms.
- Enhanced Carcan Claw: produced from ends of his chain 'hands'. These unusual restraints each display a solitary eyeball at their center, which allows them to lock-on to the intended target's unique heat signature, before using this identifiable attribute to unceasingly pursue said victim until they have been located and captured.
- Silver Gun: simple two stage attack. First Justin changes his chains into enhanced Carcan Claws that search and restrain opponents. Immobilized foe is instantly beheaded with blade.
- Guilty or Not Guilty: Justin merges blades from both 'hands' and launches it first into ground with massive force which causes blade to change trajectory, giving it additional surprise effect and catching opponent off-guard.
- Law Abi-bi-bahahahaha: stronger version of Law Abiding Silver Gun. Justin performs it by launching two enhanced Carcan Claws. After restraining opponent he produces one wide blade between chains of Claws, and launches it into opponent delivering single sure-hit mortal blow.
- Schmidt: powerful wide-range technique. By plunging his 'hands' into ground Justin fabricates a considerable quantity of angular stakes, which are then made to erupt violently upwards from beneath the earth at various predetermined locations. Two stakes form a frame of sorts which allows a sharp guillotine blade to rapidly manifest, suspended between any of the twinned peaks that then falls with a tremendous amount of force, viciously bisecting any victim that is unfortunate enough to be caught between any of the innumerable posts.
- Both quickly develop a rivalry with each other, as the two have very conflicting ideas, to the extent that Giriko quickly begins calling Justin "Father" (a joke at the fact that Justin dresses like a Catholic priest). These feelings are further intensified by the equality in the two's level of power, resulting in their conflicts always concluding in a draw.
- Later circumstances have put the two upon the same side but this has done little to temper their issues, as arguments are still a common occurrence between the pair. But since Giriko's defeat a little reaction from even when Giriko was alive and allied himself with Justin has been shown as he seems to have grown extremely distant from even those who also possess madness within them.
- The Clown
- During Justin's long absence from the series, after the events occurring in the confrontation over Brew, he appears to have met the Clown and might subsequently fallen under its influence, though it is also possible that Justin is evil or insane himself even before the encounter. As stated by Yumi Azusa, Justin has many mysteries in his background data. Nevertheless, the connection between Justin and the Clown seems to be established to such an extent, that Justin has renounced all his previous faith for Shinigami and has instead turned his devotions towards Asura.
- Tezca Tlipoca
- With their mutual status as Death Scythes, the two are recounted as often sharing conversations about their respective lives. However, these discussions are less than lively, with Tezca being the only active participant. It is presumed by him to simply be due to Justin’s stoic nature and quality as a good listener. In actuality, Justin has never understood a single word being said because of Tezca’s persistent wearing of his bear-like headpiece which prevents his lips from being read, much to Tezca’s great disappointment. After their battle in Africa Tezca and Justin meet again in Moscow near the massive sphere of Black Blood created by Crona and it was here that Tezca still tried to convince his former ally to come back to Death City with him. As the two Death Scythes engage in combat Tezca tries to explain to Justin that he isn't fighting him to end his life, but he is actually trying to help him realize that his senseless worship and image of gods as his companions isn't how human beings are meant to live. After a short argument Tezca reveals that he's trying to make Justin realize that he's his friend, and what he's doing is what friends, not gods, do for each other. But Tezca's words only fall on deaf ears as Justin only grows more and more enraged, resulting in him performing a type of demented execution speech. During this, Tezca still attempts to be the voice of reason to Justin till the very end. Even though he was killed by Justin and his beliefs and he may have displayed a very unusual nature, behind all of this Tezca Tlipoca showed that he possessed the qualities of a true friend to Justin Law, a person who prefers the company of gods over humans.
- At first, Justin seemed to have devout faith in Shinigami to whom he prayed and gave thanks for everything as his God. His faith affects the clothes he wears and how he typically speaks, using chiefly religious terms even within his normal sentence. However is later revealed he was a worshiper of the Kishin Asura, though it was never clarified if this was originally the case, if he was brain washed by the clown or Madness wavelength. Shinigami was shown to trust Justin, sending him to investigate the Oldest Golem incident and assist his allies. Shinigami, unlike some other characters, never got annoyed by his constant usage of earphones due to being somewhat silly him self. However, after Justin revealed his identity as a Kishin worshiper, they are no longer allies, with Justin hating Shinigami for what he did to Asura and killing his true loyal followers. In the anime, Justin was a truly loyal Death Scythe and never wavered in his trust or loyalty.
- The relationship between Justin and Crona was never clarified though Justin Law showed great anticipation at the notion of killing Crona on behalf of his God, Asura, showing he had little affection for him/her.
- It is unknown how long Justin has revered Kishin Asura as his "god"; it is possible that Justin was recently brainwashed into serving the Kishin by one of his clowns, or that Justin was always a spy at Shibusen. Though a definitive answer has yet to be given, events throughout the story have pointed to both theories. However, Justin was brought under Asura's control; he serves the first Kishin with more zealotry than Shinigami. He has already killed once in Asura's name, the victim being Joe Buttataki. A failed attempt on Maka Albarn's life also meant he was ready and willing to end more lives to keep the Kishin happy.
- At the end of Chapter 81, Justin is seen in a mountainous region surrounded by a vast gathering of madness clowns generated by Asura's presence there. He smiles, stating that this is where the Kishin is located. In the beginning of the next chapter, Justin is seen with a smile of ecstasy on his face, repeating Oh God over and over again, implying that he has met his new deity face to face.
- When Justin appears to execute Crona in the Ukraine it becomes more plausible that the two have not only met but spoken; Justin's behavior is far more focused and concentrated as well as more sadistic and crazed than ever before. It is therefore possible that Crona's death sentence was handed down by the Kishin himself.
Pre-Soul Eater Events
Justin is the youngest in Death Weapon Meister Academy history to ever achieve the level of Death Scythe. Many at the Academy view him as a living legend, as not only did he reach the level of Death scythe at only 13 years old, he also did so individually, without the assistance of a Meister. Justin was then assigned to be the main Death scythe in charge of the DWMA's European division.
Not much is known about Justin's past other than his "legend". From what Tezca Tlipoca has said, Justin was somewhat of a loner during his time at the DWMA, and did not make many connections to others. This personality towards others may have been one of the reasons Justin was never able to partner with a Meister. Once he became a Death scythe, all that is known further is that Justin and Tezca became good friends, and hung around each other often. It is also likely that Justin became friends, or at least familiar with the other Death scythes, as they seem to all show to be terrified on a personal level at Justin's fall to Madness.
Part in the Story
After the Kishin Asura, was revived, Justin Law and the other death scythes were called back to DWMA. He is first seen heading towards Death City, but not before praying to his God to protect the lives of humans so they may live and die happy.
He is later seen questioning why his lord, Shinigami, is not responding to him, only to be kicked in the head by Spirit, who tells him to remove his earphones. After explaining the Kishin development, Shinigami gives specific tasks to the Death Scythes, but has no task for Justin, aside from telling him to continue to "live happily with a sense to kill".
Justin is first seen traveling through the Loew Village in his dune buggy, after being sent by Shinigami. He later appears and saves Crona from Giriko. After some banter, the two weapons proceed to duel, with each exchanging powerful blows. During this, Maka is able to deduce that the two are equal in strength, resulting in there being no clear victor. After the brief skirmish, Giriko departs with Arachne. Justin is left to defend Crona, Maka and Soul from the Oldest Golem. Justin, however, quickly dispatches it by using his Law Abiding Silver Gun to decapitate it. After some further prayer, they proceed to leave.
Exchanging his usual form of transport for a more appropriate but similarly designed snowmobile, Justin makes his entrance into the DWMA's extensive operation to retrieve Brew, by descending down a steep mountainous incline with a tremendous avalanche in tow. Apologizing to those below for causing such a disaster, through a combination of his own voice and the bass of his music, Justin is relieved to see that by pure coincidence it was an opposing squad that got swept away. Disappointed by the destruction of his custom vehicle, Justin confronts an enraged Giriko regardless.
Continuing with their exhaustive battle, Giriko remarks that due to his adversary's earphones, his attacks conform to a single monotonous rhythm but Justin refutes this, asserting that Giriko instead just wants these earphones for himself. Justin just manages to defend against the resulting Saw Foot, before countering with his own Law Abiding Silver Gun, which conceals his opponent underneath the surrounding snow. Utilizing this opportunity, Giriko escapes by creating numerous duplicates of himself, fashioned out of snow. Justin easily dispatches the entirety of these imposers and notes that he wished to defeat the real one during their confrontation.
Although it was shadowed it was Justin who killed BJ.
Tying Things Up, and New Beginnings
After an extended absence, Justin's shadowy form looms over a bewildered Giriko amongst the aftermath of the battle at Baba Yaga's Castle, where he complains about the latter's roaming resulting in a considerable waste of time. Insisting that they had been searching for him to propose that he comes along with them, it is here where it is revealed that the "them" Justin had been referring to, was himself and an imposing The Clown.
Justin is next observed traversing through a vast desert, dragging behind him a large coffin-shaped speaker, whose vibrations disrupts the very landscape in Justin's wake. Seeking God's forgiveness for the sins he is about to commit, he graciously thanks the Clown for its guidance, before becoming aware of two cloaked figures to his rear. These individuals are revealed to be none other than Marie Mjolnir and Franken Stein, both of whom admit that in spite of the ear-splitting noise, they had still been having great difficulty in tracking him. Questioned about the reason for his involvement in the death of Joe Buttataki by Marie, Justin happily states that B.J.'s Soul Perception capability presented too great a threat, meaning "Kishin-sama" simply could not rest at ease. After hearing this and deducing that his next target was to be Maka, due to his current destination and direction, Marie charges towards him and strikes him square in the chest. Unimpressed by a "mere woman"'s strength, Justin's next sentence is abruptly cut short, after he is sent flying thanks to the extension of Marie's weapon form.
Maneuvering in mid-air to land safely upon his coffin, Justin appears unharmed, which leads Marie to assume her fully transformed state and entrust herself into Stein's hands for a combined offensive. The resulting speed easily overwhelms Justin, to such an extent that he cannot even comprehend the injuries he is currently sustaining. Choosing to withdraw temporarily, Justin removes a piece of paper from his jacket that subsequently absorbs him into its material, before spontaneously combusting. This leaves Marie and Stein alone in the desert outskirts of Death City, with nothing but the coffin Justin left behind.
Returning to Noah's concealed location via means of the extracted page, Justin wipes a small amount of blood from the corner of his mouth as he exists the magical tome, remarking that the "Strongest Fighter in the DWMA" and the "Pulveriser"'s interference prevented the achievement of his intended aim. A small argument then ensues between himself and Giriko, where Justin insults the latter in response to his so called pathetic retreat, by asking "Little Miss Snow White" if he was talking in his sleep once again.
I'm Gonna Be An Angel
As the DWMA postulates upon Justin's connection with the individual behind Death the Kid's abduction, Justin simply observes Gopher's brutal interrogation and assault upon the vulnerable Kid, while exhibiting no response at all. However; it is only after Kid replies with a quip on how disorganized the Book of Eibon is kept, eliciting a further punch from Gopher and a subsequent reprimand by Noah, that Justin makes a comment upon how it's not healthy for Gopher to be so uptight. He then proceeds to tell Kid to go with the flow once in a while rather than dwelling on regularity, only to provoke a piercing glance and another quick witted response, after remarking that Kid may be attempting to exact penitence from this betrayer.
Black Wings VS White Wings
When Gopher returns from his failed assassination attempt on Maka, he projects the entirety of his anger and frustration onto the defenseless and imprisoned Kid, delivering another savage beating with his fists alone. During this occurrence, Justin simply stands outside demonstrating no empathy but when the assault begins to pick up rhythm, he removes his earphones and serenely listens to the disturbing discord, as screams and punches merge into a malign melody.
Abyss, Uncleanliness, Darkness
As Medusa continues her concealed observation of the experiment involving the Black Clown, an obscured figure approaches from the darkened surroundings, alerting her to their presence by recommending that her concern would be better directed towards her own predicament rather than that of her child. Receiving a sudden complaint about the pair’s previous intervention resulting in the DWMA obtaining her notes, Justin reveals himself and strikes without hesitation or word, before immediately fusing with the nearby Clown. As the merger proceeds; Justin explains the blasphemy in the creation of an artificial clown and promises her "a taste of true insanity", however, this conceited instruction simply elicits Medusa to refer to her assailant as a "mere executioner". Justin then seemingly traps Medusa with ease in the guillotine-like body created by the recent fusion, in preparation for her execution.
With Medusa still ensnared in such a perilous position, Justin confidently proclaims that he is about to enact the death penalty as decreed by his new God, smirking maniacally as he fulfills this divine retribution. Concluding Medusa's life with the separation of her head from her body, the scene instead makes a drastic alteration, which sees the blood that was spilled just mere moments ago now absent. Effortlessly countering an attack from an exhausted but whole Medusa, Justin remarks upon his surprise at the repulsion of his prior hallucinogenic offensive, questioning whether his victim still had a "pleasant dream?". It is here that the presence of the Purple-Dyed Clown is made known, provoking Justin to divulge his disbelief at the level of defiance Medusa displays towards the Kishin by producing a further abomination. Enraged by such a blatant disregard for his God, Justin launches a savage attack that is immediately responded to with a vector based counter, which is rendered obsolete by his madness infused defense. However, when the opposition undergoes a similar transformation, Justin is seemingly overwhelmed by the resultant monstrosities and thrown with tremendous force through one of the surrounding walls. Emerging from the debris with blood dripping from his mouth, Justin demonstrates a sinister sneer as he states "one ready", before catching the remainder of Medusa's snakes in concealed stocks. Decapitating all of the creatures simultaneously, Justin ominously asserts that Medusa's head is next but both combatants are stopped in their tracks by the appearance of a second Justin.
Deducing that this doppelganger is none other than Tezca Tlipoca, Justin is subjected to numerous visions pertaining to his betrayal and precursors to his eventual death, terminating in a distinctive image of Shinigami. Tezca then proceeds to recount the times that he and Justin spent conversing about their respective lives as death scythes but an expressionless Justin confesses that due to the former's mask, he was prevented from reading his lips and as such, could not understand a single word including those just spoken. As Tezca explodes in a tearful outburst, not assisted by Enrique's contributions, Justin decides that this is an appropriate point to leave.
Receiving no further instruction from Noah upon his return, Justin takes up residence within the enigmatic cathedral that forms the group's base of operations, allowing him to meditate upon his music further. During an inept infiltration of this structure conducted by a choice group of the DWMA's senior staff, Justin assaults an exposed Marie in earnest, while beckoning her to continue facing him so as to better understand her cries. Bludgeoning her head with his transformed hand, he effortlessly fends off an enraged Mira Nygus, while uttering a string of nonsensical sentences before finally turning towards the sky calling out to his "Lord god", thanking him for being able to punish another one of the foolish.
With the sudden arrival of various members of Spartoi from the inner confines of the Book of Eibon, Justin's attention shifts towards that of the injured Stein and Sid, who are desperately attempting to attend to their incapacitated partners. Revealing that he does not relish the prospect of confronting the pair, in spite of their present condition, Justin calmly states that he would instead prefer to just quit and so, in accordance with this, he begins to take his leave. Questioned about the betrayal of his former friends by Sid, Justin explains how his discovery that his religious faith had always been a form of madness, made it only inevitable that he would eventually seek out the source of this insanity, his "Kishin-sama". Informing the pair that Noah had ascertained the location of the Kishin and that he was heading there now, Justin refuses to divulge this precious information and instead tells them to relax, while they observe the death of their students.
As news of Justin's disappearance finally reaches Shinigami's inner sanctum, he arrives at his desired destination where his "Kishin-sama" dwells, an undisclosed mountainous region that has been suitably warped by the resultant madness. Amongst the various misshapen and grotesque forms of numerous Clowns, Justin stands ecstatically as the infamous eyes of the Kishin pour forth from his earphones, while he prays for his God to come.
Justin was on the location where his Kishin god is hiding.
Approaching the exterior of the enormous spherical vessel caused by Crona's Black Blood in the Ukraine, Justin remarks about the Kishin responding to the wavelength emanating from this large, black orb before he becomes momentarily lost in contemplation of its dark roundness. Seeking input from the accompanying Clown, who divulges the nature of the Kishin's blood transfusion orchestrated by Medusa, Justin notes the vast increase in Crona's power in comparison to what was previously documented. Considering the prospect of executing this individual, Justin licks his hand in anticipation, but this is abruptly interrupted by an unexpected arrival. Alerted to the person's presence only by the Clown's contact, Justin immediately recognizes them to be Tezca, in spite of the latter's rather flimsily constructed disguise. Due to his hearing being impaired by his earphones, the entirety of the conversation must be communicated through the nearby Clown, allowing Justin to mockingly respond to Tezca's intent by declaring that his faith in the Kishin is unrelenting. However, with the realization that Tezca's pursuit could have only been possibly due to his tracking capabilities, Justin becomes enraged and furiously demands to know whether his adversary had discovered where Asura presently resides.
Without awaiting an answer, Justin denounces his former associate as a threat to the Kishin's repose and in preparation for the ensuing confrontation, removes his headphones for only the second time in order to better hear Tezca's screams of agony. Fusing with the Clown, as Tezca pleads with him to not add further to his sins, Justin laughs maniacally while questioning "Sin...WHAT THE HELL IS A SIN!?" and then proceeds to mercilessly cleave Tezca in two. However, Justin is quickly confounded by several clones of Tezca and so, begins to slice them apart in frustration, reasoning that he will eventually take out the real one. After this flurry of furious attacks, dismembered limbs are strewn across the battlefield, causing Justin to question whether there is an actually a corpse amongst the mess. Before he can do anything further, Tezca’s remains begin to pull themselves together once more, creating a disturbingly mismatched hybrid.
Disgusted by Tezca's grotesque transformation, Justin calls him a monster, causing Tezca to point out that in his madness; Justin too has become something less than human. The mutant hybrid of Tezca begs Justin to come back to Shibusen, citing that if he shared his knowledge of the Kishin's location, Shinigami-sama would think about reducing the punishment he would receive for his betrayal.
Angered at Tezca's offer, Justin demands to know why his former friend insists on "clinging to him". Tezca explains that even though he always had Enrique, to rely on, but Justin had no one because he was always alone. When Justin mocks Tezca's friendship with his meister, stating that Enrique was only a monkey, Tezca screams that Justin couldn't even make friends with a monkey; therefore he had no right to judge. Continuing with his speech, Tezca states that Justin was so caught up in his worship of Shinigami that he had no time for normal mortal relationships, as a god like Shinigami could not share Justin's everyday life and experiences like a friend could. It was for that reason that Shinigami made Justin a Death Scythe so that he would meet more people and become capable of forming bonds with others. But because he betrayed Shinigami and joined with Asura, Tezca states that to Justin, Shinigami and the Kishin are the same; it did not matter who Justin served as long as they were gods. He denounces his former ally, calling Justin worse than a monkey, because even a monkey has its own mind and does not move only on faith alone. Justin screams that he just wanted to live a pleasant life in a world where there is no Truth, and demands angrily if it is such a crime to adopt the most convenient god available. Tezca then replies that he only wanted to be Justin's friend. Justin attempts cut his words short by attacking but Tezca is able to dodge it, performing an attack on Justin known as Solar Ray in which Tezca uses his reflection abilities as a demon mirror to gather the solar energy and fire it as a powerful beam of heat. Though the attack demolishes a massive section of the forest, it only grazes Justin, melting his mask and severely burning and deforming half of his face. Amused that Tezca is still holding back, Justin notes that it only grazed him and that Tezca will regret not finishing the battle with that one attack. He then proceeds to send out twin heat-seeking claws that go towards the heat Tezca's real body still retains from the sun. Though Tezca defiantly refuses to run or hide, Justin's traps are able to lock both of Tezca Tlipoca's arms. Grinning maniacally, Justin pronounces that Tezca has been sentenced to death for the crime of attempting to locate Asura. Tezca is appalled by Justin's words, reminding him that execution and death is Shinigami-sama's area and something humans are not allowed to decide. His face more distorted and crazed than ever, Justin brushes this aside, declaring that he has been given the freedom to kill at will by the Kishin, and produces a massive blade from his chest, aiming it at Tezca's head. Though Tezca pleads with him one more time not to go through with this, Justin cuts him off with a speech of his own. Screaming shrilly, Justin declares that he will eliminate everything that scares his "god", including all the "Shinigami's pigs" that are searching for Asura. He cites that a world ruled by the Kishin's madness will be Heaven on Earth, a place where sanity and reason cannot enter, swearing this in the name of Terror and Insanity. After slicing off Tezca's head with his chest blade Justin then walks over to and takes Tezca's head, shaking it to confirm Tezca Tlipoca's death, showing. He then notes that Tezca Tlipoca is indeed dead, as a hideous grin twists his deformed face, indicating that he is truly beyond the help of anyone now.
There Is Someone To Admire
It appears that he is now on the moon as his "god" is also there. He senses that they were found out. His face shows an evil grin.
The Battle on The Moon
Justin and the clown noticed that death scythes and the team were coming close. However Justin said that they will never reach the moon's surface. Moonlight,Kaguya, and White Rabbit appears behind them. Clown Moonlight said that it's time to act. While the ship was under attack, Kid and his team headed out to battle in the front lines. Justin noticed that Kid was heading out and Clown Kaguya went to greet Kid out in the sky. Clown White Rabbit said to Justin that leaving those two the outside is better while he will crush them from the inside. He is later shown to disappear from beside Justin and was later seen aboard the ship.
After the 3 clowns left, they battle against the DWMA. Clown Gekkou told Justin that he had shot several of the ships down. Justin told him to concentrate on the ships while he and the other clowns deal with the ones that landed on the moon. He told the clowns to kill all of them. Justin then felt something from the ship and it was Stein. He then quotes "let's see who's madness is stronger" as he prepares for the fight.
Justin's body soon shows that it is breaking apart, and he begins to cough out massive amounts of blood as he speaks to the DWMA forces and Stein. He beastly screams that the Kishin's Madness is eternal, and tells them to submit to it. Justin then turns to Stein, and asks him how it is that he refuses to fully give in to Madness when he has so much of it inside him. Marie explains to Justin that Stein is far too smart to fall to his traps, and that Justin has no understanding of Death's established rules of sanity. Justin insists to tell them that they have already lost the fight, and that the entire battle had gone according to his own plan to trap the DWMA's forces on The Moon. He explains that once a person sets foot on The Moon, he or she cannot return, and remain trapped in the Kishin's never-ending Madness forever.
As Justin's insanity engulfs his words, he splatters out how the blades of his guillotines are coming for all of his opponents' heads, and that he will slice each one off. Stein then readies himself to deliver the final blow, while a deranged Justin shouts that defeating him would not change the outcome of the battle. As Stein charges to him, Justin asks how any person could stand to live under the "Order" established by Death, saying that people should take what they want, do what they want, and kill who they want "as long as they want it". Justin questions Stein how he can bare living under such a restricting set of rules and why he would agree to do so, asking what Stein believes comes after he has managed to defeat all those who stand in opposition to Death. Stein ignores Justin's words, and tells him that his enemy is determined, and that he can handle the rules for the time being. Stein launches into the air and Marie powers her Resonance with him to their maximum potential. The two then deliver the final blow in Marie's enormous Triquetra Attack that rips Justin to shreds, completely annihilating him. Before his full evaporation, the right half to Justin's now dismembered head is seen speaking to Stein. As he makes a horrendous expression, Justin mutters his final words; telling Stein not to worry, as his time of submission to insanity is at hand, and that the "Order" of the world has already shattered to pieces.
- Justin's attack, 'Law Abiding Silver Gun' is a reference to another one of Atsushi Ohkubo's manga, B. Ichi. In B. Ichi, a character called Yohei Nanami uses a gun called the 'Law Abiding Silver Gun,' a gun that is shaped like a dog's head.
- In the anime, he never changed sides; though the anime never progresses to the point of his betrayal.
- Maka stated that Justin became a Death Scythe four years ago, when he was thirteen years old, implying he is currently seventeen years old.
- The song Justin is always listening to is called "Step Up" and it is the same song throughout the entire series.
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 34, pages 13-17
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 36, pages 16-23
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 61, pages 3-4
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 61, pages 17-23
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 61, pages 24-32
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 62, pages 27-29
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 63, pages 27-28
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 65, page 32
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 68, pages 31-32
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 68, pages 39-40
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 69, pages 1-16
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 69, pages 21-27
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 75, page 20
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 79, pages 23-25
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 80, pages 18-19
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 81, pages 30-31
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 85, pages 1-9
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 85, pages 10-18