Directory: Characters → Free
|Voiced by (English)||
|Classification||Human , Witch, Immortal, Monster|
Free (フリー, Furī), referred to as The Man with the Demon Eye (魔眼の男, Magan no Otoko) while he was in prison, is a Werewolf from the Immortal Clan. Free is the first and only Immortal in the entire Soul Eater series, and usually proclaims his immortality to his fighting opponents. He is also the first character introduced with a Mixed Soul, as he is part Human, Witch, and Werewolf (therefore Monster). Free was imprisoned for so long that he forgot his own name, and when Eruka Frog helped him to escaped, he took the name Free as he was now "free."
|“||I guess I may have exaggerated about the time a little bit... I'm a man after all, we do show off sometimes.||”|
—Free, Episode 24
Free is ironically silly and is often reasonably comedic in his thoughts and actions. When he was able to escape Witch prison, he explained to Eruka that while in jail, he devised a plan to escape. This plan involved Free attempting to dig a tunnel under the cell's wall with a spoon. Free came up with this idea out of inspiration from movies he had seen, to which he had always had thought that the concept was very "cool". This plan, however, is foiled on account that the prison would only serve food that only required chopsticks to eat with, never providing Free with the spoon he so desperately needed.
Free is also reasonably foolish and even he acknowledges it, stating that he is isn't very good at coming up with ideas. When Eruka suggested that Free could have escaped Witch prison by urinating on the prison bars so they would corrode and rust over time, Free, upon realization of how simple the concept was, bashed his head against a nearby tree, calling himself an idiot. However, he has shown he is capable of cunning. During the attack on Shibusen he used an illusionary duplicate to delay Kid and Black☆Star. He has also managed to steal one of Mabaa's eyes, implying he was previously much more skilled than he is at current, likely due to his 200 year incarceration.
He also has been shown to have an incredibly bad sense of direction. During Operation Charge Baba Yaga's Castle, Free was assigned to destroy a Lock in Baba Yaga's castle's second tower, but instead, ended up in tower 8, the tower on the complete opposite side of the Castle. Free responds to the realization in much the same way as he had done when Eruka had mentioned another cliche for Free to escape prison, holding his head and shouting, frustrated with himself.
Free overall doesn't seem to like when others draw attention to his mistakes. When he fought against Maka and Soul in London, he accidentally hits himself with his own attacks on two occasions as a result of not having fought in over 200 hundred years. He tries to avert the attention of his opponents by saying that everything is okay, and that there is nothing of interest to see.
He takes pleasure in actions against DWMA or enemies of Medusa, noticeably smiling when he is responsible for any kind of successful action against either force. When he successfully tricks Kid and Black☆Star into thinking that they were actually fighting him during The Eve Party Nightmare while they were actually only fighting an image of him, he is shown laughing at the duo after they discover the truth.
When he feels as if he is in debt to someone, Free always likes to repay the person he believes he is in debt to. Upon first meeting the Witch Medusa, Free almost immediately asks Medusa how he can repay her for breaking him out of prison. At first, Medusa purposefully tests Free, saying that he doesn't have to repay her, to which Free persists in asking that he do so.
In his human form, he is a tall, attractive man with a rather muscular build, apparently seeming to be in his thirties, with some facial hair unkept. On his right shoulder he has a tattoo of unknown form, which resembles an eye. Above the left eye pulled free from Mabaa instead of an eyebrow the words "NOFUTURE" are tattooed. This eye also shows no pupil or iris, instead it has magical symbols. He is almost always seen in his prison clothes, complete with ball and chain on his left leg and stripes in black and white from the bottom up. Although generally the top half of the outfit is tied around his waist, he also wore a simple white t-shirt instead. Later he is shown with the same shirt, but with an inverted color scheme.
In his werewolf form, Free's appearance is that of the typical depiction of a werewolf. It features mostly dark fur; with his chest area, abdomen, hands, face and ears all being gray. This form used to include a long tail when Free first revealed himself as a werewolf, however, after it was cut off by Maka's Witch-Hunt Slash it is yet to be seen again. He also has both extended sharp claws and fangs.
Free is a member of a clan of Immortal Clan, and therefore cannot die, ultimately making it difficult to estimate just how old he is. His relationship with his clan (along with information about the clan itself) is currently unknown.
Before the events of Soul Eater, Free became a legend when he was able to successfully steal the Grand Witch Mabaa's left eye. He then fought the Grand Witch, which is when Mabaa discovered that no matter how much effort she put into it, she could not successfully kill Free on account of his immortality. Mabaa, however, used an alternate strategy in defeating Free, and instead of killing him, she was able to restrain him and have Free locked up in Witch Prison for life. Free became famously known among Witches as "Prisoner 13, The Man with the Demon Eye". In order to ensure Free never escaped, Mabaa personally kept the key to Free's cell in her room, until the Witch Medusa was able to steal it generations later. Free was blindfolded and shackled for 200 years until the events of Soul Eater, when Eruka Frog frees him using Maaba's stolen key.
- Skilled Combatant: Free has both inhuman strength and speed due largely to his physical prowess and werewolf heritage, making him capable of moving much faster than one might expect from someone of his stature. In battle he show great skill in close combat by use claws and tail additionally he also managed to use the ironball that he was chained to as deadly weapon. He's skilled enough to gain the upperhand with Maka with ease in a Hand-to-hand encounter and Mosquito in his 100 Years Ago form.
- Battle Wolf Fist: A sort of martial art Free uses. He is normally first shown assuming a crouching position with his two hands up, before attacking. The first two fingers and his thumb are pointed together and he is standing on his toes. The style itself features very fluid movements, transferring easily from offense to defense and from punches to kicks, creating an almost continuous barrage of attacks.
- Immortality: As an immortal, Free is unable to die, being able to survive fatal wounds and regenerate in mere moments. This also slows his aging to a halt, having spent 200 years in Witch Prison without any problems from imprisonment. The downside is that while he can survive any form of harm, he is still capable of feeling pain. Due to years of experience however, he has a high threshold for it, barely noticing of flinching when Soul stabs him through the chest. However, this does not mean he cannot die. Attacks such as the Witch-Hunt have shown to be able to do permanent damage and kill Immortals
- Magic: Free has also demonstrated the use of Ice magic and Dimensional magic, which combined with the immortality he possess, makes him a substantial threat. Though initially rusty from his time in prison, Free has shown that he is adept at manipulating magic for all its intents and purposes, whether this be offensive or defensive. It's currently unknown magic was his natural skill or he got it by stealing Mabaa Demon Eye. His chant for magic is "Wolf Wolves Wolf Wolves."
Battle Wolf Fist Techniques
- Wolf Tail Wall: He simply enlarges his tail and holds it in front of himself for a protective barrier.
- Ice Cone: Free summons cones of solid ice to shoot out of the ground in order to skewer his enemies. He often miscalculates and forgets where he places them, sometimes ending up skewering himself.
- Ice Sphere: By encasing his iron ball in ice he uses it increased size and mass too use it as an effective weapon.
- Ice Pillar: Causes a pillar of ice to appear behind the enemy, normally trapping them.
- Ice Bind: Encases enemies feet in ice.
- A Vasili: By freezing water around his enemy, he can encase the foe in ice.
- Ice Fist: By encasing his fist on ice, he can deal greater impacts when he punches.
- Independent Cube: Using the magic of his left eye Free creates a magic cube that will isolate whatever is inside in another dimension. He needs both Eruka and Medusa to use Arithmetic Magic (Magic Calculation), so he seals only what he needs to seal. He claims to be able to hold it for an hour, but only manages to keep it up for forty minutes. This shortened duration could have been due to attempting to imprison Shinigami, though he says it was manly embellishment.
- Forwarding vision: Free casts an illusion which perfectly projects a reproduction of the actions that he conducts.
Demon Eye Techniques
- Demon Eye Cannon: Free starts charging energy into his left eye, then he fires it. In the form of a green energy blast.
Part in Story
Free's appearance comes in turn when Medusa finds an interest in Soul. She plans to test the Black Blood that is present in his body. Free was released from the witch's jail on account of Medusa's plan. He is called "Demon Eye" by her, he states that everything was taken from him, including his name. So on account of his recent freedom, he named himself "Free". He naturally allied himself with Medusa, based on the fact that they both don't like Shibusen. He is then sent out to London where he engages in battle with Black☆Star, and Maka as part of Medusa's "experiment". After fending off Black☆Star, he then reveals that he is a part of the Immortal Clan and is a werewolf. After transforming he gains the upper hand until Maka and Soul use the Witch-Hunt Slash and is tackled after, sending him off the bridge. In an attempt to get back on the bridge, he mistakenly freezes himself.
The Eve's Fight to the Death
During the celebration of Shibusen's anniversary, Free appears alongside with Medusa, Eruka, Crona and Mizune. He was given the job to put up a barrier around the area where all the Shibusen attenders were located. He used the power of his left eye to cast the Independent Cube spell with the help of Eruka's Magic Calculation, and trapped everyone in. The barrier was supposed to hold up for an hour, enough time to give Free and Eruka enough time to get to the Kishin, which was buried under Shibusen, and inject the Black Blood into the sack which he was in, thus reviving the Kishin Kishin, she set herself first after the gate. If anyone where to come in, she would be the first one they meet. If anyone where to get past her, the next person they would meet is Crona. Eruka and Free were assigned to head straight for the Kishin, with the Black Blood. Stein, along with the main trio, Kid, Black☆Star, and Maka also entered the underground layer.
Stein was left behind with Medusa while the rest advanced. Kid was to go straight after Free and Eruka, Maka was to advance with Kid for back-up, and Black☆Star was to hold up Crona. Disobeying orders, Maka fought Crona while Black☆Star went on to catch up with Kid. Noticing that Kid was catching up, Free decided to setup a diversion. He uses his Forwarding Vision spell to create an image of himself, then uses his Demon Eye Cannon at Kid to support the fact that the image is real. Kid attacks numerous times at the image, but as he believes that it's immortal, he finds himself in a bad situation. Black☆Star then arrives and begins to engage in battle also. Being that he is a close-range fighter, he goes straight to the image and attacks, not knowing that every attack he does goes straight through the image. Kid notices this and exposes Free. But by the time they realized this, Free and Eruka were already so close to the shrine in which the Kishin was sealed in.
Free and Eruka then enter the shrine, feeling the presence of the Kishin the moment they open the door. Upon entering, the madness begins to take its toll on Eruka as she imagines frightful things happening to her. Free notices this and returns to aid her but finds himself being pulled in the madness also. They shortly break free before killing themselves and proceed on with the mission. When they finally reach the Kishin, they are confronted by Kid, who has now caught up with the two. In an attempt to destroy the Black Blood, Kid initiates a continuous fire at Eruka. Free steps in the field of fire taking advantage of his immortality and giving Eruka time to inject the blood. As she was trying to inject it, Black☆Star appears and seemingly destroys the container of the blood, but in reality, he actually mistakenly attacked the statue above, thus failing in his original intentions. The Kishin then awakens and blows back Black☆Star after a his failed attempt in use Big Wave attack and takes Kid out too.
Operation: Capture Baba Yaga's Castle
Before the operation began, Free was shown to have infiltrated Arachnophobia in preperation for Medusa's movements. He was shown several times but does nothing that can be considered noteworthy. When Medusa's plan to confront Arachne goes into effect, he was supposed to go to tower 1 but due to a complete lack of any sense of direction, went instead towards tower 2. However, in the end he ended up at tower 8, where he met up with Death the Kid. Since he recognizes Mosquito's strength, he contributes his messing up to fate and decides to help Kid, even though having to fight alongside a shinigami kinda pisses him off. The pair agree that destroying the locking aritfact at this tower takes priority over their feelings for each other and Free comments that they must be great comrades to be able to desert each other without the slightest hesitation. They assault Mosquito and Free's physical strength combined with his use of ice magic proves to be too much for Mosquito's form from 100 years ago to handle. Kid sees a chance to get past Mosquito but Free's subsequent attack knocks Mosquito in this particular direction, causing Kid to call him a fool. Mosquito goes back to his form from 200 years ago, resulting in Mosquito gaining the upper hand for a short while, as even his current speed can not stand up to Free's strength. Free manages to regain his footing and swings Mosquito through a wall along with himself and Kid. In this new area Mosquito has far more room to move than the hallway they were previously fighting in, meaning Kid is unable to hit him. Free however creates some Ice Pillars to restrict Mosquito's movements, providing Kid with a chance to inflict damage in close combat. Free then proceeds to use his Ice Bind to increase their advantage even further, Kid knocks Mosquito out of his current predicament and onto the floor. Free then uses A Vasili to completely encase Mosquito in Ice, transforming into his werewolf form and firing a Demon Eye Cannon simultaneously with Kid's Death Cannon. Mosquito survives with heavy damage and goes on revert to his form from 400 years ago. In less than a second he manages to cut Free in half and cut Kid's left arm off. Brew activates within Kid not much later, allowing Free to use him as a distraction and conduct Forwarding Vision, to trick Mosquito into thinking he was still there while he goes off to destroy the Lock. Once it is destroyed Mosquito leaves to protect Arachne and Free is not seen again in the arc.
Battle on the Moon
Free is next seen, or rather heard, outside Eruka's cell door in Shibusen; claiming he is there to rescue her. Eruka is overjoyed to see him when the door opens, but is disappointed to see that Free has merely been captured as well, his size apparently having hindered his infiltration. He, Kid, Eruka, Kim, Risa and Arisa went to Witch City to negotiate with Mabaa and the witches only to be caught and put on trial. As an immortal, Free is sentenced to death one-thousand times, an amount that dwarfs his witch allies sentence to single/double digit deaths, yet itself is dwarfed by Kid's sentence to death one-million times. Fortunately, Kid is able to negotiate a different outcome.
- When he battled the DWMA students for first time on Tower Bridge, he said he would blow down every kind of house just to find them (stated in manga only), a reference to "Three Little Pigs", where the wolf character blows with his breath the houses in which the pigs were hidden, though he couldn't destroy the solid one.
- Even after his release, Free is still seen with the Ball and Chain strapped to his leg, apparently not hampering his speed, as he is seen keeping up with Tadpole Jackson running on all fours with it chained to his leg
- When he battled the DWMA students for first time at London Bridge, he also makes a reference to Little Red Riding Hood, saying that Maka would look good as the Red Riding Hood.
- In the anime Free's introduction is shortened. His rather brutal killing of his former guards and nearly half of his fight with Maka is left out.
- Free doesn't like monkeys.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found