"I was scared of the kind of person I was turning into. Although as long as I was having fun, I didn't really care. So that's why I needed it. Not an annoying system put up by a king to serve his own self interests......but a system set up by a god without arrogance."
Franken Stein (フランケン シュタインは, Furanken Shutain) is an eccentric but extremely talented doctor and Meister that is known to be the strongest Meister to have graduated from Death Weapon Meister Academy and formerly Spirit Albarn's first weapon-partner. He later becomes a teacher at the school upon Death's request and was later assigned to act as a Death Weapon Meister to Marie Mjolnir.
Much of Stein's background is unknown. However, the Madness within him was always a problem. At an early age, he was analysed by various doctors concerned with his violent tendencies and selfish disposition. They were only able to speculate it was due to suffering from an experience that scared him. He would later join Shibusen and act as Spirit Albarn's first weapon partner, including being present when Sid Barett decides to take in Black☆Star during the Star Clan's extermination,. He also dated fellow student Marie Mjolnir.
Being a man of science, Dr. Stein sees everything in the world, including himself, as an experiment. From childhood, he often wanted to dissect the people around him only to be stopped by Spirit. This personality trait made all those around him afraid of him. This strange hobby of wanting to dissect anything he thinks is interesting was still present, even when Stein became an adult; once, as part of a lesson, he tried to have his class dissect an endangered animal, claiming that it would be bad if he did not find out anything from it before it became extinct. The stitching across his face suggests that he had worked on himself at one point.
He also exhibits a sadistic and intimidating personality. During his battle against Maka and Black☆Star, he grabbed Maka by one of her pigtails, lifted her shirt up and drew marks on her body, to signify where he would put the knife through, and ponders if he should turn her skin into sand paper. When Black☆Star tried to attack him, he countered by knocking him out in a seemingly painful and bloody manner. His smiles are normally filled with sadistic intentions.
Stein seems to have dormant madness. He has even admitted that he is especially sensitive to it. Stein ultimately did go insane and struggled to maintain it. He even quit smoking as a way to convince himself.
Emotionally, Naigus has described him as always alone and that he has no love in him. He has admitted that he can't understand Spirit's reaction to Maka asking him to go out shopping. This shows he can't feel deep emotions other than the need to dissect whatever interests or irritates him. This tendency likely seems to be more destructive or psychotic, which explains his dormant madness. He is depicted as morally bankrupt, at least back in his youth. In Sid's flashback, he questioned Sid's decision to adopt Black☆Star, who was a baby. This suggests that if it were Stein's decision, he would have left Black☆Star. His immorality is supported further by his repeated experiments on Spirit back when they were kids.
Despite this cruel and twisted personality, Stein does have a kind and compassionate side that worries for his friends and students and he feels the need to protect them. He also exhibits a rather paternal demeanor towards his students. He also expresses deep disgust and moral outrage towards Medusa for stating that she would abandon her own child, Crona, when they would become useless to her. It is never stated when this other personality arose.
Main article: Franken Stein/RelationshipsStein is a respected instructor in the Shibusen; his students are said to love him as a teacher, despite his disturbing tendency to favor doing lessons on dissections. He's also known as the strongest meister to have graduated from Shibusen. However, due to his sensitivity to madness, he often can be called to be questioned on his sanity. Despite this, however, many of his friends like Spirit, Marie, Sid, and even Death have shown faith in him.
Dr. Stein is a tall man with silver-gray hair and big, round glasses and handsome face. He has a large screw/bolt going through his head, which he turns, often as a means to focus his thoughts. A signature hallmark of Stein's is his trademark zig-zag stitches. He has sewn stitches all over his body and clothing (his house is even covered in stitches). His most notable piece of clothing is his doctor's lab coat. He is also surprisingly well built for a man his age, due to a large portion of his time being devoted to combat training.
He is often seen with a caster-wheel chair. A running gag is that, despite his coordination, he often hits a ledge or frame and ends up falling backwards when travelling on it.
His soul is light blue featuring his trademark stitches and single giant screw.
As a child, his bolt and glasses are noticeably absent. He is also much shorter and visibly smaller than Spirit.
- Stein is loosely based upon one of the central characters from the 1818 novel by Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein", an amalgamation of the mad scientist named Victor Frankenstein and his man-made monster.
- As his name suggests, parts of Stein's personality, appearance, and techniques allude to both Dr. Victor Frankenstein and his "creature" in Mary Shelley's novel, Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus. Like Victor Frankenstein, Stein has a mindset in which he wishes to live in a world "without God," setting his own rules rather than following those of some higher power.In addition, Stein also has motifs centered around electricity, similar to that used by Victor Frankenstein in his creation of the creature. His attacks, Soul Menace and Soul Thread, resemble electricity. His current partner, Marie, has attacks centered around electricity. Lastly, The screw in Stein's head resembles the bolts found in the head or neck in many popular portrayals of Frankenstein's monster, especially in United States cinema.
- A running gag in the series is that whenever Stein goes and sits on a rolling chair, he leaves rolling backwards and falls in the exit.
- In the official popularity poll taken by the manga's readers, Stein ranked 8th.
- "Shitai" which is part of Stein's name in Japanese (Shitaiin) means "corpse" in reference to his corpse-like appearance.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 16. Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 1.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Soul Eater' Manga: Chapter 23
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 113
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 5
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 24
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 57
- ↑ In Chapter 21, there is a flashback depicting a younger Stein about to dissect an unknown character, only for him to be stopped by a younger Spirit.
- ↑ Volume 2: Chapter 2's lesson is "We'll be dissecting frogs today!" Maka also claims in Chapter 3 that they have done 'nothing but dissections' since he took over her class. (Yen Press translation)
- ↑ He also implies that they have taken apart frogs and mice, in Chapter 3. "He-he...what you'll be taking apart today [the endangered species of bird] isn't the usual frog or mouse. ♪"