The Word Is Bravery!
Episode Data Report
|With her friends fallen, Maka must find the strength to face the Kishin alone. The world is in jeopardy and evil is poised for certain victory - until something stirs deep inside the young Meister's heart.|
|“||Kishin Asura! I hope you're ready. YOUR SOUL IS MINE!!!||”|
Maka and Soul return from Soul's mind, Maka having successfully rescued Soul from Little Ogre's influence. They see their friends defeated and Asura still stands, and prepare to fight Asura and at long last save the world from his madness. Maka for the first time utilizes her most powerful technique, Kishin Hunter, in an attempt to kill him - but it does not work, Asura claiming the reason being that it is a move based around destroying evil, and the madness that inhabits him is not truly evil.
After her technique fails, Maka is left at Asura's mercy as he launches a blast at her. Soul puts himself in front of Maka to protect her, but is left unconscious from the blast and unable to continue fighting with her. Asura then launches a blast at Soul to kill him after he is left unconscious, but Maka shields him. She is knocked down from the blast, but activates the weapon blood inside herself to get back up.
She starts battling Asura using her weapon blood, most likely coming from her father. In order to avoid feeling pain, she fights him unconsciously. Scythes emerge from her body as she battles, and she finally begins to start hurting Asura. However, he eventually manages to see through her plan of fighting him unconsciously - and snaps her hip to make her conscious again.
Meanwhile, Crona, Death, Sid, Spirit, and the others watch her battle from Death's chamber, hoping in her that she will still find a way to win. Crona states that Kishin Hunter isn't what Maka needs to defeat Asura, and hopes that she will realize what she really needs.
As Asura taunts Maka, who is the only one still standing but barely, Black Star, Kid, and Soul manage to put encouraging words in to her while lying unconscious. After their words, Maka states that she is not worried, which puts Asura into a mess of confusion. She finally realizes what she needs to defeat him; Asura, being the embodiment of fear and madness, can be defeated simply by bravery, by proving she is not afraid even in the most horrifying circumstances. Her courage and determination despite how grim her chances of victory look drives Asura confused, and he tries one last time to kill her with all of his attacks. He fails as she avoids them all and delivers a powerful punch to his face, which to his great surprise, is strong enough to crack his face and cause him to explode.
Before Maka defeats him, Asura states another Kishin will arise one day to take his place and reign terror and insanity upon the world. Kid is also concerned about this, but Maka states that all people have bravery within them, and as long as there are people brave enough to stand up against those with evil intentions, they have nothing to worry about.
Manga and Anime Differences
- In the Manga, the Kishin Hunt is what is needed to defeat Asura (along with Crona's sacrifice). However according to the Anime, Asura has become too powerful to be defeated by the Kishin Hunt. It is Maka Albarn who personally channels her courage into her fist which causes him to explode.
- According to the manga, Asura is still alive on The Moon with Crona under all the Black Blood. While the anime states that Asura was destroyed by the explosion after Maka punched him.
- Soul Evans, Death the Kid, Black☆Star, Tsubaki Nakatsukasa, Elizabeth Thompson, and Patricia Thompson takes part in helping Maka defeat Asura in the manga. While in the anime, Asura had already defeated them, thus only leaving Maka to fight and defeat him.
- Justin Law is killed by Marie and Franken Stein during the final battle on the moon in the manga because he became evil, but since Justin doesn't turn evil in the anime he lives.
- Crona is pardoned for betraying Shibusen and is allowed back as a student, unlike what happened to him/her in the manga's ending.
- Joe Buttataki is alive at the ending of the anime, unlike his fate in the manga where he dies at the hands of Justin Law.
- Death doesn't die at the end of the anime, unlike his fate in the manga.
- Because Death lives in the end of the anime, Death the Kid doesn't become the next Shinigami.
- Marie doesn't get impregnated by Stein at the end of the anime, verses what happened in the final chapter of the manga.
- At the end of the manga, the Witches and Shibusen end their war and Death the Kid vows never to make anymore Death Scythes, but in the anime that never happens.
- Which means that Shibusen and the witches are still at war with each other.
- Angela Leon in the manga's ending is under the care of Shibusen after the death of Mifune, however Mifune lives at the end of the anime. Thus Mifune is one who continues to raise her under his care.
- Mosquito and Giriko are alive by the end of the anime, but they are killed in the manga.
- In the closing credits, after being allowed to return to Shibusen as a student Crona is seen in Maka and Soul's apartment. This hints that Crona moved in with them.
- Mifune keeps his promise to Tsubaki, by becoming a teacher at Shibusen.