"So this is how the world ends.....It appears all that extra time has netted your rubbish ideas. Just what lies ahead for a world filled with madness?[Excalibur huh? I don't care If there's nothing. As long as fear doesn't exist.] Fool. [That phrase certainly brings back memories. However, the result is as you can plainly see. You fall for such easy tricks because you're bound by pathetic rules and ties of obligation....] Fool! Rules decided upon by each individual!"
|Anime • Manga
Excalibur as he appears within Soul Eater.
|Alias/Nicknames||The Holy Sword|
|Birthdate||Around the 12th Century|
|Weapon Form||Holy Sword|
|Classification||Divine Weapon, Great Old One|
|Residence||The Eternal Cave|
|Teams/Group||The Eight Warlords (formerly)|
|Meister Partner(s)|| King Arthur(formerly)|
|Real World Data|
|Manga Debut||Chapter 8|
|Anime Debut||Episode 9|
|(Image Gallery) (List of Appearances)|
Excalibur (エクスカリバー, Ekusukaribā), the , is the name given to the legendary blade used by heroes and kings, which is unrivaled by any other weapon present within the series continuity, whose very existence invites people towards the madness of "anger" (怒り, ikari). He is one of the five Great Old Ones (旧支配者, Gurēto Ōrudo Wan), and is a former acquaintance of Death.
Almost nothing certain is known of Excalibur's history. However, it is known that Excalibur's birth/creation pre-dates that of the Demon Weapons, as Excalibur is mentioned as having served as the inspiration for their design. His exact species and origins are a complete mystery, though they may hold some degree of divine creation.
During the Grim Times, Excalibur served directly under Shinigami as one of his The Eight Warlords alongside the other Great Old Ones, where he partook in various confrontations as part of a long lasting battle against the Witches. However, at some point after the events surrounding the devolution of Asura into the first Kishin, Excalibur decided to retire to his perennial residence within the Eternal Cave, located in the northern part of the British Isles, where he has remained ever since.
Over the course of the centuries that were to follow, Excalibur's abode has been frequented by numerous prospective candidates, all of whom had undertaken the expedition with the singular intention of claiming the legendary sword as their own. However, due to Excalibur's diverse personality defects, the majority of these potential applicants ultimately proved unsuccessful in wielding the sword for a prolonged period of time. Counted amongst this unfortunate number are the likes of both Franken Stein and Sid Barett.
Despite its classification remaining amongst the other pre-existing demon weapons, at least in regards to its properties, Excalibur doesn't conform to the typical restrictions of its kin, as in actuality anyone is considered compatible with its wavelength and thus, capable of wielding him. However, contrary to this unique trait, the number of people counted as his partner over the various centuries remains relatively few, due solely to the fact that no individual is able to withstand his personality for prolonged periods of time. Regarded as being a greater narcissist than even the egotistical Black☆Star, this defective personality is only exacerbated by his short temperament and patience, making Excalibur truly insufferable to all but a "chosen" few. It is for this reason alone that those who are able to utilize Excalibur long enough to achieve anything significant, are referred with such heraldry as "hero" and "king", as only they possess the means and/or strength of will to withstand these annoying deficiencies.
This dysfunctional personality manifests itself most frequently in the declaration of the word "fool" (バカメ, bakame), employed as a means of interruption to those Excalibur views with disdain and contempt, which due to his extensive superiority complex is practically applicable to everyone. Amongst such disparaging remarks, Excalibur propagates numerous nonsensical and confused rants about its supposed mythic exploits, before bursting into song. If these defects aren't enough to fend off any would be advocates, his mannerisms will surely repulse even the most convicted of individuals, whether it be from Excalibur waving his cane just millimeters from other's faces or one of his deplorable sneezing fits.
Despite this, he has portrayed moments of complete seriousness when called upon. He was serious with King Arthur and with Shinigami. Furthermore, he has been willing to lend himself to people without his provisions, such as to Liz when they were trying to save Kid. This hints at a more complex personality. In fact, one could consider his annoying personality was crafted as a result of him being the "Elder God of Madness Born From Rage."
In order to ensure that any potential wielder meets his desired calibre, Excalibur invokes a covenant between himself and the prospective applicant, which contains a total of 1000 required errands. Some of the known tasks that Excalibur demands of and inflicts upon such wielders are:
- No. 001: My mornings start off with a cup of coffee with cream
- No. 022: On a refreshing morning, start out with a refreshing greeting
- No. 058: Never talk to me when I'm humming to myself
- No. 075: Celebrate Excalibur's birthday in grand-style*
- No. 172: Seek harmony
- No. 202: Only the Grandest toilet is acceptable
- No. 278: Never put carrots in my meals
- No. 349: Meisters must eat everything, regardless of personal likes and dislikes
- No. 452: You must attend my 5 hour story telling party (the most important of all 1000 Provisions according to Excalibur)
- No. 573: Always walk 3 steps behind me
- No. 578: The hero must never tell a lie
- No. 602: Food must be prepared with the freshest ingredients
- No. 667: You must praise Excalibur at all times
- No. 679: Always place a dehumidifier in your room
- No. 778: Never mail your mail without a return address and the proper postage, and don't call collect
- No. 998: When you order a package for home delivery, you must always use cash on delivery
- every day is considered to be his birthday, thus this task must be performed daily
Contrary to the elaborate ornamentation and radiant atmosphere demonstrated by his legendary weapon form, Excalibur is instead a simplistic anthropomorphic creature, whose diminished stature barely even equates to that of a small child. Its misshapen facial features comprise of bulbous eyes that, according to Joe, look like a failed arts and crafts project. He also has a prominent upturned snout, a physical representation alluding to its reserved and pretentious attitude, while the remainder of its small white body displays slender limbs and feet strangely akin to those of a rabbit. The only slight indication of Excalibur's prestige is his high quality attire, consisting from a white top hat that nearly equals him in height and a similarly coloured shirt with a frilled ruff, worn under a white jacket. However, this esteemed air is severely compromised by the absence of any clothing covering the creature's lower half. Excalibur also is never seen without his signature cane, which strangely seems to be an extension of himself, since it transforms into and out of weapon form with him. Excalibur constantly points this cane mere inches from others' faces, usually while exclaiming "Fool!" at them. He also uses it to dance complex and unique dance steps, often spinning it around rapidly. His appearance resembles that of the White Spy from MAD Magazine's Spy Vs Spy, but much smaller.
- Excalibur's entire character, especially name, weapon form, and history, is derived from the sword of the same name that once belonged to King Arthur. In some Arthurian legend, the weapon is attributed with magical powers or associated with the rightful sovereignty of Great Britain.
- Atsushi Ōkubo, the mangaka of the manga, has said in an interview that he based some of Excalibur's attributes off of his own father.
- In a 2013 interview with J-Mag, Ōkubo said he based the physical appearance of Excalibur on the illustrations of Edward Gorey .
- In the official popularity poll taken by the manga's readers, Excalibur ranked 5th.
- Strangely enough, despite his annoying and talkative personality, he didn't say a word when he (in weapon form) and Hiro were fighting Black Star, Kilik Rung, and Death the Kid. This detail may hint to how well the duo actually resonated.
- Excalibur cannot absorb souls.
- It is possible that he is the opposite of Ragnarok, Excalibur being the holy sword and Ragnarok being the demon sword.
- By its appearance, Excalibur could represent a plague doctor.
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 48
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 6, page 24
- ↑ J-Mag. Video. 7:30-15:00. English Transcript.
|Warlords||DeathLeader • Excalibur • Asura • Eibon • The Great Old One of Power • Vajra • Unknown Male • Unknown Male • Unknown Femaleanime-only|
|Great Old Ones||DeathOrder • ExcaliburRage • AsuraFear • EibonKnowledge • The Great Old One of PowerPower|
|Madness-Types||Madness of Fear • Madness of Order • Madness of Knowledge • Madness of Rage • Madness of Power|