Directory: Characters → Eruka Frog
|Voiced by (English)||
Eruka Frog (エルカ・フロッグ, Eruka Furoggu) is a frog-themed Witch who serves under Medusa Gorgon. She normally says "kero" (Japanese sound for croaking) when speaking. She can transform into a frog, enabling her to escape or spy on others.
Like many other Witches, Eruka craves destruction and enjoys the fact that she was born a Witch. However, she is extremely cowardly, preferring to flee rather than fight, and never hesitates to beg for mercy when cowed. She can also be considered clingy to her partner, Free, even becoming needy and docile. Despite her malicious intent, Eruka has an earnest disposition with other Witches, including Mizune, with whom she is close friends with. She can be demeaning to those whom she considers inferior, though. Unlike more powerful and malign witches, such as Medusa, Eruka is not so cold and heartless, on several times showing regret and consideration for others. She expresses guilt about lying to the Mizune family, and tries to reassure Crona when he/she is asked to spy on Professor Stein.
Unlike Medusa and Arachne, Eruka is of very low caliber, and posses very little fatal power. This may be a result of being younger than most witches. However, there has been no background given about Eruka as to explain just how old she is. The most advanced magic she has been shown to use is Soul Protect.
Befitting her typically passive nature, Eruka remains a woman of rather modest build with long straight silvery hair and a narrow mouth, accentuated by a prominent black circle at each end, resembling the air sacs on a frog's mouth. Her usual attire consists of a thigh length black dress with a white polka dot pattern over what appears to be a dark gray blouse, black pants and knee-high white boots. Arguably the most obtrusive characteristic of her appearance is her distinctive orange hat with a frog-like face, which further reflects her amphibian theme. The hat occasionally mimics her facial expressions.
- Magic: Despite her personality, Eureka is competent with her magical abilites. She's also very knowledgeable in various different arts of Magic, as seen when she took lead in using Arithmetic Magic when paired up with 3 other Witches. She is also seems very familiar with Spatial Magic.
- Transform: Eruka transforms into a frog. She can still talk in this form.
- Tadpole Bombs: Tadpole-like black balls with frog faces that can hop toward their target before detonating. The bombs can also be hurled forcefully as projectiles.
- Arithmetic Magic: Magic Calculation: Used as a 'place marker' for high level spells so they are more precise.
- Medusa Gorgon
- Eruka resents Medusa to no end for her unorthodox methods that she feels will endanger all witches, and the fact that she had threatened her life on more than one occasion. Since being cornered into working for Medusa by having several of Medusa's snakes implanted into her body, she also greatly fears her, since she knows Medusa can kill her if she disobeys her orders, and acts like a servant to the Witch. However, she holds some degree of respect for her, considering how few witches there are who can match her in caliber.
- Eruka seems to consider Free her partner, since they interact on regular basis and even go on missions for Medusa together. During their first encounter she states that she acknowledges the fact Free is strong but he is a bit clumsy as a result of not having fought in over 200 years. She also got very mad at him during the celebration of DWMA's anniversary when he used Jackson to use his forwarding vision and create an illusion of himself to fight off Death the Kid and Black☆Star in order to buy time.
- Overall, she is often seen sitting on his shoulder in her frog form and they are considered to be close friends.
- She appears to have been very good friends with Mizune and she feels especially sorry for lying to Mizune's younger relatives in order to gain their cooperation, by saying that it was DWMA that killed Mizune (going even so far as quietly apologizing for her actions).
- Otama Jackson
- This enormous tadpole acts as Eruka's faithful familiar, using its large size and capability to fly, to aid its master in whatever way possible. Unlike other familiars; the two seem to share a mutual admiration for each other despite Eruka's apparent dominant role in the relationship, with even the normally docile Eruka reprimanding Free after he only slightly injured Jackson. Jackson in turn is extremely loyal to Eruka, going so far as to help pass her the needle of Black Blood that is supposed to reawaken Asura before Black Star can get at it, resulting in the tadpole getting beaten up by Black☆Star. Eruka laments over this, and decides to fulfill the mission solely for Jackson's sake.
Part in the Story
The Soul That Persisted
Eruka and her closest friend, the eldest Mizune sister, confront the fellow witch Medusa Gorgon together at the conclusion of a Witches' Mass one night. Eruka expresses her disgust at Medusa for her recent experiments at the DWMA and her attempts to turn her child Crona into a Kishin, believing they could eventually lead to the extermination of all witches. In response, Medusa dons her coat before swiftly sticking her hands into their mouths and threatening to punish them for their disrespect. Eruka curses Medusa as she walks away and begins plotting how to kill her.
The next evening, in a Death City alley, Eruka and Mizune ambush Medusa with the intention of killing her while her Soul Protect is still active, reasoning she wouldn't want to release it if she intends to maintain her disguise at DWMA; otherwise, if Medusa were to release it and fight back, Eruka and Mizune would simply have to transform into their animal forms and flee, leaving Medusa exposed to DWMA as a Witch. However, just as soon as they put their plan into motion, Mizune begins to writhe and Eruka realizes that Medusa had secretly placed magical snakes inside both of their bodies the other night, watching in horror as the snakes tear Mizune apart. Fortunately for Eruka, their fight had indeed attracted the attention of meisters Maka Albarn and Professor Franken Stein, forcing Medusa to deal with them while Eruka transforms into a frog and escapes with her life.
Still in her frog form, Eruka flees far beyond the borders of Death City before determining she is finally safe, but before she can plot her revenge, Medusa arrives, having followed the frog thanks to the snakes implanted inside her body. Medusa then proceeds to give Eruka a key and asks her to carry out a task: to go to the Witch Jail and release Prisoner #13, the werewolf infamous for plucking out the witch leader Mabaa's left eye, who Medusa intends to use to perform an experiment on Soul Eater. Despite knowing she could be banished from the Witch world or even killed for freeing the man with the Demon Eye, Eruka reluctantly agrees under the threat of being killed immediately by Medusa.
Breaking into the Witch Jail proves simple for Eruka in her frog form with the guards asleep, and she easily gains the trust of the man with the magic eye after unlocking his cell. As the two make a getaway, the prisoner recollects his several failed attempts at devising a so called cool way of breaking himself out, to which Eruka simply comments he probably could have urinated on the bars of his cells and gradually corroded them away, causing the prisoner to despair why he didn't consider something so simple before and inadvertently allowing the guards chasing them to catch up. Eruka begins to panic when the guards attack the prisoner, but he survives being skewered and incinerated without so much as a scratch; Eruka realizes that the reason Mabaa merely locked him away was because he is Immortal and can't be killed, and watches as he effortlessly slaughters the guards.
Successful in her mission, Eruka returns to Medusa with the prisoner, who names himself "Free" to celebrate his newfound freedom. Eruka demands Medusa remove all the snakes in her body as promised, but Medusa reveals she will remove only one snake for every task she completes, and refuses to disclose how many more snakes there are; furthermore, removing all the snakes at once would tear Eruka apart. Bursting into tears, Eruka's hatred for Medusa grows even greater than ever before.
Eruka continues under the service of Medusa, surveying Free's proceeding battle with Maka and Soul on tower bridge in London, the snakes in her body forwarding her vision to Medusa so that she may observe her experiment, which ends with Free falling off the bridge and accidentally freezing himself. Throughout the fight, Eruka makes commentary on Free's strength and apparent clumsiness.
Not long after the events pretaining to Free, Eruka receives further orders to now go to Medusa's laboratory to retrieve an attaché case containing a syringe and a vial of Black Blood which Medusa intends to use to carry out her ultimate goal: to revive the first Kishin, Asura, sleeping beneath Death City. Eruka is also ordered to destroy the lab in order to ensure no traces of Medusa's work are let behind, something Eruka is more than enthusiastic to carry out to satisfy her natural desire for destruction. After retrieving the case, Eruka leaves a cluster of bombs behind in the lab, which explode with DWMA agent Sid Barrett located inside as he conducts a concealed investigation of Medusa's true intentions.
The Eve of the Establishment Commemoration Festival
Eruka returns to Medusa with the attaché case, and infiltrates Death City along with Free while the DWMA students and staff members, including Lord Death himself, celebrate the founding of the school. They are joined by Medusa on the rooftops of the DWMA building, where Eruka and Medusa use their magic to help Free place an Independent Cube, which traps the partygoers in another dimension for up to an hour. Crona arrives with the Mizune family to destroy Death City; while seeing the family off, Eruka expresses her guilt over tricking them into believing their eldest sister was killed by DWMA instead of Medusa, whom they now serve. Holding the attaché case, Eruka travels underground with Medusa, Crona and Free to resurrect the kishin.
The Eve's Fight to the DeathDespite the successful capture of most of the members of DWMA within the Independent Cube, meisters Maka Albarn, Black☆Star, Death the Kid, Franken Stein, and their respective weapon partners manage to escape and attempt to stop Medusa and her minions. Riding atop of Otama Jackson, Eruka takes the attaché case and makes her way to the Kishin's chamber at the end of the tunnel beneath Death City, accompanied by Free and covered by Medusa and Crona, who try to keep the others at bay. Stein engages Medusa in battle and Maka against Crona, allowing Kid and Black☆Star to pursue Eruka and Free. Eruka leaves a cluster of tadpole bombs to slow them down and determine how far they are from catching up, though Kid uses the force of their explosions to increase his own momentum. To hold them back, Eruka gives her Otama Jackson to Free, who uses it as a mount while he forwards an illusion of himself to battle Kid and Black☆Star, stalling them while they continue down to the shrine.
Once their plan is exposed, Eruka berates Free for acting so wildly on her Otama Jackson.
Eruka and Free reach and enter the shrine, where Eruka succumbs to the abundant Madness Wavelength present and has a hallucination of the Kishin tearing off her face. Free attempts to help Eruka when she screams about her face, only to have a hallucination of Eruka turning into the Kishin and killing him. In their madness, Eruka and Free nearly commit suicide, with Eruka holding a pointed stake to her neck, though they both return to their senses, briefly shaken and wary of the Kishin's madness as they discover the bag containing the slumbering Kishin in the back of the chamber.
Eruka assembles the syringe in the attaché case and fills it with Black Blood, finally prepared to inject it into the bag and awaken the Kishin. Kid arrives as Free holds him off to protect Eruka, who is left to fend for herself against Black☆Star as she runs toward the bag. She briefly drops the syringe and has a hallucination of the Kishin slobbering over her head. Otama Jackson tosses the syringe back to Eruka and ends up being beaten up by Black☆Star. Owing her respects to her faithful pet, Eruka sticks the syringe into the bag and desperately tries to inject it. Black☆Star makes one final attack to try and destroy the syringe, only to have a hallucination of his own victory and destroy the statue behind the bag instead. Instead of celebrating her success, Eruka watches with dread as the first Kishin, Asura, awakens and emerges from the bag. The first thing Asura sees upon opening his eyes is Eruka paralyzed with fear, and screams in fright of the equally terrified witch before easily dispatching Black☆Star and Kid and escaping aboveground.
Eruka emerges to the surface with Free to discover that Lord Death has escaped from the Independent Cube, which Eruka notes had dissipated after only forty minutes rather than the hour Free had stated earlier. During the chaos that ensues as Death and Asura battle, Eruka escapes with Free out of Death City and reunites with the Mizune family. To her relief, Eruka notices she can no longer sense Medusa's soul wavelength and reasons that she must have died in battle against Stein. Eruka mockingly laments how she was unable to witness her death while also paying her respects to such a powerful witch.
During Shibusen and Arachnophobia's fierce conflict over the demon tool Brew, Eruka is seen in Arachnophobia clothing observing the Mizune enter in the magnetic tempest and retrieving the demon tool.
Eruka tells Crona to return to Medusa.
Operation: Capture Baba Yaga's Castle
Eruka, Free, and Mizune help the DWMA take down Arachne and her Organization.
Abyss Unceasing Darkness
Eruka and Mizune was ordered by Medusa to retreat.
Eruka and Mizune was to assist Crona to escape, which she did, but she got captured by Black☆Star.
Eruka helped DWMA get Death the Kid back and is now a prisoner there.
She also noticed that Medusa is dead and later was allowed out to assist Kid with negotiation with Mabaa and the witches. She, Kid, Free, Kim, Risa and Arisa went to Witch City only to be caught and put on trial.
Battle on the Moon
- The name "Eruka" (エルカ, Eruka) comes from reorganizing the order of the syllables in the Japanese word "kaeru" (カエル; Literally meaning "Frog").
- She shares similarities with Suwako Moriya from the Touhou Project, such as her hat with eyes and frog-based theme.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found