Demon Weapons (魔武器, Mabuki) are people who can take on the form of traditional weapons.
The first demon weapons were created 800 years ago prior to the start of the series. Both Eibon and Death sought a way to even the odds in the strife between witches and humans. Inspired by Excalibur, Eibon sought to create the demon weapons. Both he and Death agreed to do so, and learned that demon weapons required the use of a witch's soul. However, both found the experiment inhumane and concealed the instructions for making the weapons. Having surreptitiously viewing the instructions by means of her tracking spiders, Arachne attempted to complete a weapon according to the Book of Eibon. To create a Demon Weapon she murdered a witch as a sacrifice and joined a human soul with an object . Using a witch, which possess transformative capabilities, Arachne joined an inanimate object (a weapon) and a human soul together to successfully create a Demon Weapon, which had the ability to transform from human to weapon form.
This act branded her the most brazen heretic witch in the Witch Order, and caused her to be hunted by her own kind and Death himself. She destroyed most of Lost Island after rigging it to explode, evading her pursuers. However, she was cornered in Loew Village by Death and was thought to not have survived the encounter.
Demon Swords and Kishins
Despite their bizarre or off-putting appearance, Demon Weapons were soon accepted into the world. The Eight Warlords were among the groups that adopted Demon Weapons into their ranks (e.g. the likes of Vajra.) However, their existence also made the Kishin possible. During a great battle, a meister was so terrified of death he began secretly feeding his weapon pure human souls in hopes of attaining more power for himself. He inadvertently created a Demon Sword and, eventually, a Kishin.
After the founding of the Death Weapon Meister Academy (DWMA) , it became a world power and accepted Demon Weapons. However, over the years, Demon Weapons suffered discrimination by ordinary humans. Their inexperience and inadequacy in using their power are commonly known. The DWMA did its best to take in such weapons and train them to control their power. The use of the Demon Weapons were successful in evening out the odds between the DWMA and that of the Witch Order. However, their usage furthered the witches hatred, as a witch soul is used to create a Death Scythe, effectively using the witches' own power against them.
The Demon Weapons, with the exception of Ragnarok for unknown reasons, all have normal human appearances when in their human form. As seen with the Soul Eater, their appearance may take on the attributes of their weapon form, as he is often seen with spiky or sharp teeth. In their weapon forms their forms may vary considerably. While Demon Weapons can take any form of traditional weapons (e.g. sword, axe, shuriken, combat knife, etc), several demon weapons exist that may be considered unconventional (e.g. vajra, lantern, guillotine, and even a moving ballista).
In addition to having a human form, it also appears that Demon Weapons have human-like souls themselves, taking a blue hue in the anime. In the anime, however, the color of their soul may differ--Giriko's soul is a purple hue in color. Depending on their weapon form, the appearance of the soul may reflect some of the weapons physical attributes in the soul itself.
The Weapon Gene is what gives a Demon Weapon the ability to transform. In the anime, this is explained in more detail. Those who have the ability to transform into Demon Weapons may unlock the ability by:
- being a descendant of a family line that has weapon genetic information.
- manifesting the abilities during puberty.
When becoming a weapon, clothing and everything on their person is carried on into the transformation. After becoming a weapon, the person is seen in their human form as some sort of reflection on the weapon while a completely black space is viewed inside the weapon. Inside their weapon, Demon Weapons seem to be able to have easy access to their souls, as Soul Eater can enter the Black Room in his mind from his Weapon form. They are still able to verbally communicate in their Weapon forms.
Often, in this dark space they are seen without their clothing on, save for a few details. In other cases they can be seen with all of their clothing. If two Weapons are resonating together and/or close together (i.e. they are both used by one Meister), they can share this dark space. The Weapons also glow in the color of their souls when inside Weapon form. For example, Soul Eater has a blue soul, and as such, he is glows light blue in the dark space. Tsubaki has a yellow soul, therefore she glows yellow. The Thompson sisters have pink souls, so they glow pink. This glow is also present when the Weapons are transforming. The transformation usually involves the Demon Weapon being engulfed in a bright light and changing into the shape of their weapon before the light disappears. Elemental Demon Weapons display their elements when transforming e.g. Harvar turns into lightning when transforming into his Weapon form. The same also goes for Weapons with various "themes". Naigus is often associated with bandages, so her body dissolves into bandage-like strips when she is transforming.
Transforming into Weapon forms can be quite hard for rookie Demon Weapons. Some can only transform parts of their body, or cannot transform at all. The key to transforming, according to Sid, is to picture the weapon resting in one's soul. Mostly, it has to do with confidence and willpower.
These transformations also showed an useful side as Liz and Patty, two demon weapons, were wielding each other during Kid's absence in the pyramid. They used transforming as evasion, switching themselves between weapon and human forms in order to evade the mummies' attacks. This shows that, somehow, demon weapons can also transform themselves directly into their intended wielder's hands.
Some Weapons in their Weapon form have certain components that move similarly to facial expressions; such as Soul, whose Weapon form has a red eye on top of the haft, which can convey his mood by narrowing when he is angry or ready to fight, or widening when he is startled. Ragnarok's Weapon form has a mouth on the blade near the guard. In Weapon form, Demon Weapons are usually invincible, and although they can feel the impact of the clashing with physical objects, they are protected by their Weapon form and cannot be hurt. Though they can also be hit by something extremely powerful and the Weapon can still be injured and may bleed, even in Weapon form.
Partnered with a Meister
At the DWMA, Demon Weapons are paired up with Meisters, skilled humans with great combat skills. With the Weapon's ability to strengthen their Meister, and vice versa, a Weapon and Meister team can combine their respective powers to become near unstoppable in battle. They can also make each other stronger by working together, making the bond between Weapon and Meister a strong and close one. In order to work together properly, the Meister must understand the Weapon's will, and vice versa. The Demon Weapon is not a normal weapon, or an inanimate object. It is a person with objectives. When perfectly in sync with each other, they can become a lethal force. Just by matching their breathing, a Weapon and Meister can fight flawlessly.
When paired with a Meister, a Weapon becomes extremely deadly. By performing resonance between a Meister and a Weapon, the Weapon can unleash a variety of abilities and can even change its physical form. This level of power can be achieved through what is known as a Soul Resonance, where both Meister and Weapon synchronize their souls with each other. In this state, their thoughts are both synchronized so well, that Weapons can even react to their Meister's emotions.
In theory, there is no restriction on who is capable of wielding a Weapon. Apart from meisters, it has been demonstrated that many other beings can wield a weapon: other Weapons within special cases such as a bond or being assisted by magic, animals, witches or even a soulless creature with a soul implanted within. However, in practice, the wielder's soul must be able to align with that of the Weapon or a rejection reaction effect will occur. This reaction is derived from a misalignment in the users' Soul Wavelengths, resulting from incompatible personalities, and appears to differ depending upon the individuals involved. For a Weapon and Meister to be compatible, they have to be able to accept and understand each others' personalities. Most compatible Weapon and Meister pairs seem to be opposites in personalities, especially seen with Black☆Star and Tsubaki, and Ox and Harvar. People with similar personalities like Soul and Black☆Star cannot become an efficient team. So far, Soul and Ragnarok are the only ones to show a rejection reaction though.
Symptoms of this rejection seem to vary on how much the Wavelengths are incompatible. When Black☆Star tries to wield Soul, their Wavelengths were so incompatible, that Black☆Star could not even lift Soul from the ground, and when Black☆Star sent his Wavelength through him, it caused the Demon Scythe physical harm. In the brief moment when Maka couldn't resonate with Soul, the rejection reaction was milder, but still harmful, as even though Maka is able to wield Soul, his Weapon form is extremely hot to the touch and she severely burns her hands until she can resonate with him again. Ragnarok's rejection reaction affects Crona as well as they both share the same body, and when their Wavelengths become misaligned, dozens of Bloody Needles erupt uncontrollably from Crona's body and the pair lose their ability to utilize the Black Blood. A rejection reaction can be taken so far up to the point that a Weapon and Meister permanently lose their ability to synchronize their souls. At the DWMA, Weapons and Meisters can also change partners if they wish.
Types of Demon Weapons
There exist several types of classifications for the weapons:
- Multi-Form High Performance Weapon (多変型高性能武器, Tahenkei Kōseinō Buki): A Multi-Form High Performance Weapon is a unique weapon in which can transform into multiple types of Demon Weapons. This sort of weapon transformation is unique only to the Nakatsukasa Clan due to them being direct descendants of the first set of weapons made by Arachne Gorgon herself. Tsubaki Nakatsukasa is the only known Multi-Form High Performance Weapon in the series.
- Stationary Type (設置型, Setchi Gata): Colloquially referred to as a "Stationary Weapon", a Stationary Type of Weapon is a weapon in which one's weapon form specializes in setting traps. Only Justin Law is a known Stationary Type.
- Demon Sword (魔剣, Maken): A Demon Sword is a type of Demon Weapon in which has achieved a powerful status from the over-hunting of souls. These weapons are often said to becoming close in achieving the status of a Kishin.
- Death Scythe (デス・サイズ, Desu Saizu): Colloquially called a "Death Weapon", this is an immensely powerful Demon Weapon in which has consumed 99 evil Human souls (99 Kishin Eggs in the anime) and one Witch soul. These weapons are fit to be wielded by the Death God himself.
- Deadly Demon Weapon (魔凶器, Makyōki): A Deadly Demon Weapon is a Demon Weapon in which as the "deadly" title implies, are the types of weapons in which are considered especially deadly such as a chainsaw.
Although many Demon Weapons vary from individual to individual with unique sets of special abilities, they most often have a common set of powers such as:
- Power (力, Chikara): Power refers to the various special abilities an individual weapon may possess within their transformation (e.x. Lightning). However, not every Demon Weapon posses an inherit Power and may act as a simple weapon.
- Full-Weapon Transformation (全身武器, Zenshin buki): As with all Demon Weapons, they all have the inherit ability to transform into a full-body weapon at will, though it may require a level of training.
- Soul Wavelength (魂の波長, Tamashī no hachō): As with every being, Demon Weapons possess a Soul Wavelength. However just like humans, it is fully possible for them to also possess specialized Soul Wavelengths that give a variety of effects (e.x. Healing Wavelength).
- Wavelength Control (波長コントロール, Hachō Kontorōru): Demon Weapons have the ability to control the Wavelength of their Meister, in which is used during the process of Soul Resonance in order to create powerful attacks.
- Soul Consumption: Due to their making and purpose, only Demon Weapons have the ability to consume the souls of others. It is because of this proccess they're truly the only beings able to become that of a Death Scythe, Demon Sword, and/or a Kishin.
List of Demon Weapons
Main article: Category:Demon Weapon
- A common inconsistency in the anime is those who can eat souls. The anime and manga both specify that ONLY Demon Weapons can eat souls. In the anime, people such as Lupin, White☆Star, Don Al Capone, and Jack the Ripper contradict this. However, in the manga, there's NO mention of any of these characters consuming souls and are wanted for ordinary crimes (ex. thievery, robbery, murder).
- ↑ (Yen Press)Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 1 — Pamplet from Tsugumi: These "weapons" are actually people who can take on the forms of traditional weapons. And Meisters are the warriors who fight using these weapons.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Soul Eater Chapter 99
- ↑ Ohukbo tweeted this was the case. Despite the translation from google, we're sure that what he meant.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Soul Eater Chapter 25
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Soul Eater Episode 27
- ↑ Soul Eater Episode 34
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 6
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 0.1
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 25
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 26
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Soul Eater NOT! Anime: Episode 4
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 8
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 28
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 93
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 5
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 1
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 7; Chapter 25, page 88
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 4
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 24
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 2
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 8, Chapter 16