Demon Weapons (魔武器, Mabuki) are Humans who can take on the form of traditional weapons.
The first demon weapons were created 800 years ago. Both Eibon and Death sought a way to even the odds in the strife between witches and humans when their Magical power wrecked havoc. Inspired by Excalibur, Eibon sought to create the Demon Weapons. Both he and Death agreed to do so, and learned that demon weapons required the use of a witch's soul.
However, both found the experiment inhumane and concealed the instructions for making the weapons. Having surreptitiously viewed the instructions by means of her tracking spiders, Arachne Gorgon attempted to complete a weapon according to the Book of Eibon. To accomplish this, she murdered a fellow witch as a sacrifice and joined an inanimate object together with a human soul. This act branded her the most brazen heretic witch in the Witch Order, and caused her to be hunted by her own kind and Death himself and lead to her demise for over eight hundred years in hiding.
In the aftermath of Arachne's supposed "death" and shortly after the founding of Death Weapon Meister Academy, Death made the academy's vocation to take in the Demon Weapons and train them. Overtime, the Demon Weapon's inability to control their powers subjected them to discrimination and the academy made efforts to have them accepted into normal society.
Furthermore, the DWMA also made one of it's controversial decisions; allowing the creation of Death's Weapon by allowing the select hunting of evil Witches in an effort to combat the threat the Witches represented by fighting them with their own power through the Demon Weapons. Although successful in their efforts, this causes a deep hatred between the Humanity, and Witchkind that lasted for centuries.
Demon Weapons (with the notable exception of Ragnarok due to his makeup of Black Blood) possess a humane appearance and may take up the attributes of the weapon form within their human form (e.x Soul with his sharp teeth due to his making as a scythe).
In their weapon forms their forms may vary considerably. While Demon Weapons can take any form of traditional weapons (e.g. sword, axe, shuriken, combat knife, etc), several demon weapons exist that may be considered unconventional (e.g. vajra, lantern, guillotine, and even a moving ballista).
In addition to having a human form, it also appears that Demon Weapons have human-like souls themselves, taking a blue hue in the anime. In the anime, however, the color of their soul may differ--Giriko's soul is a purple hue in color. Depending on their weapon form, the appearance of the soul may reflect some of the weapons physical attributes in the soul itself.
The Weapon Gene is what gives a Demon Weapon the ability to transform. In the anime, :
Types of Demon WeaponsEdit
- Weapon Types
- Multi-Form High Performance Weapon (多変型高性能武器, Tahenkei Kōseinō Buki): A Multi-Form High Performance Weapon is a unique weapon in which can transform into multiple types of Demon Weapons. This sort of weapon transformation is unique only to the Nakatsukasa Clan due to them being direct descendants of the first set of weapons made by Arachne Gorgon herself. Tsubaki Nakatsukasa is the only known Multi-Form High Performance Weapon.
- Gun Type (銃型, Jū Gata ): A Gun Type are weapons that're capable of transforming into a type of gun. Azusa Yumi is among one of the more well-known Demon Weapons capable of transforming into a gun.
- Stationary Type (設置型, Setchi Gata): A Stationary Type is a weapon in which one's weapon form specializes in setting traps. Only Justin Law is a known Stationary Type.
- Deadly Demon Weapon (魔凶器, Makyōki): A Deadly Demon Weapon is a Demon Weapon in which as the "deadly" title implies, are the types of weapons in which are considered especially deadly such as a chainsaw. Giriko is the only known Deadly Demon Weapon type.
- Death's Weapon (死神様の武器, Shinigami-sama no Buki; FUNimation "Death Scythe"): An immensely powerful Demon Weapon in which has consumed 99 evil Human souls and one Witch soul. These weapons are fit to be wielded by Death himself.
- Demon Sword (魔剣, Maken): A Demon Sword is a type of Demon Weapon in which has achieved a powerful status from the over-hunting of souls. These weapons are often said to becoming close in achieving the status of a Kishin.
- Kishin (鬼神, Kishin; FUNimation "Afreet"): A powerful status for a weapon to attain due to the overhuting and consumption of souls, enabling them to gain a Madness Wavelength and create their own form of Madness. Although technically only Demon Weapons are capable of becoming Kishins, this can be bypassed by a Meister whom has found a way to merge their power with their weapon partner, assimilating the capable of powering themselves from consumption of a soul instead of their usual weapon partner.
Although many Demon Weapons vary from individual to individual with unique sets of special abilities, they most often have a common set of powers such as:
- Full-Weapon Transformation (全身武器, Zenshin Buki): Demon Weapons have the inherit ability to transform themselves into either a partial form of a weapon with their body parts or a full-body weapon at will dependent on the training they have undergone. After becoming a weapon, the person is seen in their human form as some sort of reflection on the weapon while a completely blank space is viewed inside the weapon.
- Soul Wavelength (魂の波長, Tamashī no hachō): Demon Weapons possess a Soul Wavelength. Some Demon Weapons even possess specialized Wavelengths that give birth to different abilities and techniques. (e.x. Healing Wavelength).
- Wavelength Control (波長コントロール, Hachō Kontorōru): Demon Weapons have the ability to control the Soul Wavelength of their Meister.
- Power (力, Chikara): Power refers to the various special abilities an individual weapon may possess within their transformation (e.x. Lightning). Not every Demon Weapon posses an inherit Power and may act as a simple weapon.
- Absorb (吸収, Kyūshū): Due to their making and purpose, only Demon Weapons have the ability to consume the souls of others to empower themselves.
List of Demon WeaponsEdit
Main article: Category:Demon Weapon
- A common inconsistency in the anime is the type of people who can eat souls. The anime and manga both specify that ONLY Demon Weapons can eat souls, but such villains as Lupin, White☆Star, Don Al Capone, and Jack the Ripper contradict this within the anime. In the manga, however, there's NO mention of any of these characters consuming souls; rather, they are merely wanted for ordinary crimes (ex. thievery, robbery, murder).
- ↑ (Yen Press)Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 1 — Pamplet from Tsugumi: These "weapons" are actually people who can take on the forms of traditional weapons. And Meisters are the warriors who fight using these weapons.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Soul Eater Chapter 99
- ↑ Ohukbo tweeted this was the case. Despite the translation from google, we're sure that's what he meant.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Soul Eater Chapter 25
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Soul Eater Episode 27
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 25
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 26
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Soul Eater NOT! Anime: Episode 4
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 8
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 28
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 66
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 93
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 7; Chapter 25, page 88
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 1
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Soul Eater Anime: Episode 5
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 4
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 24
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 2
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 8, Chapter 16