"I do not deny evil, nor do I believe that any human is completely free of malice. Everything must be in balance. As long as evil and good maintain an equilibrium in this world there is no problem. Perfect balance is the key to everything."
|Death the Kid|
|Kiddo-kun, Kid, Grim Reaper, Lord Death|
Type D
Black (White Stripes)
|(List of Appearances) (Image Gallery)|
Death the Kid (デス·ザ·キッド, Desu za Kiddo), or commonly refereed to as "Kid", is a powerful shinigami. He is the second son of Lord Death and unknown to him until later in the manga, the younger brother of Asura. He is also the meister of Elizabeth Thompson and Patricia Thompson.
Though most of Kid's upbringing is unknown, many other students at Shibusen didn't want to get close to Kid because of the fact that he is Death's son and they think if they get too close to him, they'll get hurt. [sourcing needed]
While Kid is normally a force to be reckoned with, he has one major flaw that psychologically tortures him as well as physically handicapping him on occasions. He is a sufferer of a disorder which has become a trademark character quirk of his, called obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, or OCPD, which is manifested as an obsession over perfection. Objects and surroundings that are symmetrical can distract him from missions and Kid will often start to break down and undergo fits if he notices asymmetrical objects in the vicinity. Thus if anything is wrong by even the most minute of measurements (a crooked picture frame, not folding his toilet paper, for example), he will try to correct it right away, even at the expense of the mission at hand. His favorite number is 8, not only for its symmetrical appearance, but for the fact it divides out evenly. His obsession with symmetry is so profound such that he will refuse to fight in a battle unless everything is symmetrical, as he would be asymmetrical holding only one gun. On the other hand, if an enemy is symmetrical in appearance, he will refuse to fight it regardless less it upset its symmetry. The fact that the left half of his bangs is marked with three white stripes causes him much stress. As a result of his OCPD, Kid can be very hard on himself if the asymmetry of the stripes in his hair are pointed out by someone, calling himself "useless asymmetrical garbage". The Index of the Book of Eibon referred to this obsession as Madness of Order. He is usually very mature and precise in his ways. Additionaly, he is naturally calm and collected, and as such is perfectly fine with other people making their own decisions when it comes to symmetry or otherwise, even if he disagrees with their choices. However, there are times when his obsession with symmetry can greatly affect his calm personality and cause him to break down into childish fits. He doesn't appear to have any problem socializing and genuinely cares for his friends. He is seen expressing concern about Soul's scar at one point, and also threatens Gopher that he will never forgive him if he hurts Maka after Gopher threatens to hurt her in revenge for their original fight. He also threw Patti and Liz away from him before being sucked into the Book of Eibon, not wanting them to be taken with him.
Kid generally seems to be somewhat introverted, often working on missions on his own and not having as close of a friendship with Maka or Black☆Star as Maka and Black☆Star have with each other. It is mentioned by Maka that it is normally hard to match soul wavelengths with more than one weapon, but Kid as a highly skilled Meister is able to do so since Liz and Patti have a strong connection with each other and admiration for Kid who gave them a better life. His father, Death, has mentioned that Kid is a Shinigami ("death god") and does not need to collect souls, but Kid says he wants to make a weapon of his own specifications. His father also says that since he uses two weapons and the guns do not count as a set, he will have to collect twice as many souls: 198 evil human souls and two Witch souls instead of 99 souls and one witch soul. However, he seems perfectly fine with this.
Kid shares a side rivalry with Black☆Star, and seems to be stronger, however it is possible that he is more susceptible to madness than Black☆Star or Maka, for both were able to pull themselves from madness while he quickly succumbed to the Madness of Order in the Book of Eibon, while Black☆Star is able to quickly snap himself out of it. This may be because of his OCPD, or simply because of his strong drive to create a perfect world. Although Kid's obsession with symmetry often hinders his performance and focus on missions, he still has good intentions. He wants to follow in his father's footsteps and help make the world a more peaceful place that is safe from evil. However, Kid has somewhats contradicted himself in this matter at times. Because of his obsession with symmetry, he stated aboard the Flying Dutchman that he actually believes the world should have a maintained balance of good and evil to keep it more 'symmetrical.' As such, he is not fully against evil.
In the English dub version of the anime, there have been instances where Kid spoke sarcastically even though this has only occured a couple of times, which include when he saw the way Black Star was dressed for Shibusen's Anniversary Party and was slightly revolted with it. One other instance is when he asked his father why Eibon started making Demon Tools, since Death's answers didn't help and weren't even explanations at all, he sarcastically responded how helpful the explanations were.
Death the Kid is a tall and thin Shinigami boy of the appearance of a teenage boy. He is always dressed in a refined manner, mostly because of his status as a Shinigami. He limits his main wardrobe to a standard black suit with white rectangles, until later on in the manga series when he is seen wearing a white coat instead of a black one. The rectangles are placed in a manner that is completely symmetrical. There are at least six small rectangles along the seam where the sleeves attach to the jacket, and four small rectangles run along the front of his jacket. It is possible that these shapes could be replacements for buttons. His undershirt is a formal white dress shirt, and a metallic skull rests under his collar, and could be used as a tie. His color scheme is meant to copy his father's, where the only color variation between black and white is the color of his eyes. When going out on missions, Kid will typically cover himself in a cloak and mask that makes him look like a smaller version of his father. The reason behind this is unknown, but it could be speculated that it is to show his rank as the son of Death. Another speculation is that upon donning the mask on the opposite side of his Sanzu lines, it causes his hair to be perfectly symmetrical.
In the manga, Kid's suit has now been replaced with the Spartoi uniform consisting of a white dress shirt, black tie, a white sports jacket, like that of Liz and Patti's, with a white dress or suit jacket over it with the Spartoi symbol on the left sleeve, navy pants and white shoes. Kid's most notable feature is the three white lines that cut across the left side of his hair, stopping in a completely straight line along the front and back of his head. They are the Sanzu Lines and they act as limiters to his power. When one or more line connects, his power increases exponentially and he becomes far stronger, and more dangerous. The lines, however, only connect when Kid is under the influence of Madness or determined enough. Kid greatly despises these lines because they throw off his physical symmetry. Mentioning these lines will send him into a fit, during which he curses his own existence, calling himself garbage. Kid also has a cowlick on the right side of his hair, but it appears he has not yet noticed it as he has made no effort to correct it. In the third episode of the anime, Kid's soul is shown as a red color and has the three white Sanzu lines, representing his asymmetrical bangs. Later in the show, however, his soul is shown to be blue with a skull shape and the three Sanzu lines marking him as a Shinigami. When under the influence of madness, five black lines appear over Kid's mouth. These give the appearance of his mouth being sewn shut. They also make Kid's face look like that of a skull. Another noticeable feature would be his eyes. Kid's eyes are two different shades of yellow, ringing around his pupil. The outside ring is a bright yellow while the inner ring is a dark yellow, similar to the color of gold. The reason behind this double-coloring is unknown, though many simply attribute it to the fact that he is a Shinigami. Also shown later in the series, it would seem to be like a scope, able to select out enemies and lock onto them.
In chapter 110, Kid's Sanzu lines connect and his appearance again changes. Kid is shown wearing a black cape similar to his father's, though he keeps his skull brooch. His pupils change to skull shapes, though they remain golden. His Sanzu lines are fully connected and are "floating" around his head. These changes are due to him becoming a full Shinigami. As soon as he has returned from the fight on the moon, the Sanzu lines settle on his hair once more, making him fully symmetrical.
- As stated by Mosquito, Kid has type D blood.[sourcing needed]
- It is mentioned that Kid has tried to dye his hair to make himself completely symmetrical, but the lines of Sanzu keep coming back. This is because his Shinigami body rejects all forms of toxins and chemicals, including artificial coloring like hair dye. [sourcing needed]
- While most Meisters choose their own weapon partners, only in the anime version, Kid's father and Death Scythe sat him down and offered him a long list of pre-chosen weapon partners (all of whom were women), in a fashion similar to that of arranged marriages. He refused all of them due to them all being asymmetrical weapons, and later found Liz and Patty, who once tried to rob him and later rescuing them from a mob. During their run-in from the mob, Kid noticed Liz's weapon form was exactly like Patti's, which he'd witnessed during their attempt to mug him earlier, and thus, perfectly symmetrical.
- Despite his obsession with symmetry, Kid's Death God Martial Art - Stance of "Sin", requires him to hold his arms in two completely asymmetrical positions, which he apparently doesn't mind.
- Despite his obsession with symmetry, his Parent's Seven Rays technique is based on the number seven, which creates seven "coffin-like" laser guns hovering behind him. Though, it is notable that they were arranged in a symmetrical position.
- Kid is very displeased that school starts at 7 o'clock since 7 is an asymmetrical number. He can't change this so he tries to plan his morning routine in such a way that he will arrive at precisely 7am.
- His name is a reference to "Billy the Kid", a gunfighter of the old west.[sourcing needed]
- His theme song is "So crazy" and "Bang!Bang!Bang!Bang!Have a Nice Dream". His character song with Liz and Patti is "Sore ga Bokura no Michishirube".[sourcing needed]
- In the correct font and written in all capital letters, every letter of Death the Kid's name has at least one line of symmetry.[sourcing needed]
- Kid's technique Sanzu River Shot is a reference to the Sanzu River.[sourcing needed]
- In both official popularity polls, Kid was voted the most popular character.
- Kid has Liz or Patti carry his things because if he carries any of his things himself, his balance will be ruined and he won't move.[sourcing needed]
- Throughout his prologue in the manga, Kid was shown to have five white quadrilaterals down the center of his suit as opposed to his usual four throughout the rest of the series.
- Kid's favorite number 8 is not only symmetrical, but it divides evenly and effectively. In other words, you can halve eight down to the lowest whole number possible.
- Kid is shown to be disgusted by Excalibur, despite its symmetrical weapon form, due to the Holy Sword's excessively obnoxious personality.[sourcing needed]
- Kid's Lines of Sanzu appears differently in manga and anime. In anime, it's perfectly aligned only at the left side of his head whereas the Lines of Sanzu appears shorter in the manga. However, it would seem that in manga, the Lines of Sanzu grow longer as Kid is getting stronger. The difference is visible between the prologue and the late chapters.
- When connected, Kid's Sanzu lines have a quite resemblance of a Halo.
- In Episode 2 of the anime, Kid's Lines of Sanzu are shown to be on the right side of his head, however, in later episodes, they are on the left side.
- In the anime, Kid had the most absences of all the main characters. He was absent in episodes 1, 7, 8, 13, 20, 26, 27, 44, and 45. This is likely the reason he had two episodes featuring only him where Maka and Black Star were absent. In episode 42, Kid only appears in a brief cameo at the end with no dialogue.
|E.A.T Students||Black☆Star • Death the Kid • Elizabeth Thompson • Harvar D. Éclair • Hiro • Kirikou Rung • Maka Albarn • Ox Ford • Patricia Thompson • Pot of Fire and Pot of Thunder • Soul Evans • Tsubaki Nakatsukasa • Kim Diehl • Jacqueline O. Lantern Dupré|
|N.O.T Students||Anastasia Yngling • Eternal Feather • Kana Altair • Meme Tatane • Tsugumi Harudori •Hao •Reid • Aaron|