This article pertains to the subject "Death Scythe" of the demon weapon class. If you're looking for the individual known as "Death Scythe", see Spirit Albarn.
Death Scythes (デス サイズ, desu saizu), also synonymous known as "Death Weapons", are among most powerful Demon Weapons in Soul Eater. They are weapons that have earned the right and qualifications to be wielded by Death.
For a weapon to become a death scythe, they must hunt and eat 99 human souls that are on Shinigami's list and one witch soul. In the anime, there is no list; instead, the weapons have to eat 99 kishin eggs and one witch soul. By consuming the final witch's soul, a Death Scythe is granted numerous powerful abilities. This is achieved by the advanced wavelength control gained from the witch's soul obtained, which can increase magical abilities and manifest additional special abilities.
Among these abilities is form manipulation, which allows a Death Scythe to change the shape of their Weapon form. This ability is noted as not only a standard trait but also one of the most basic. However, form manipulation can give rise to powerful and useful techniques, such as when Soul demonstrated the power to create wings of light, for flight, by focusing on achieving the same goal as Maka. Death Scythes can also "sprout" weapon parts from their body without having to replace any body parts.
List of Death Scythes
- Spirit and Soul are the only two Death Scythes to be actual scythes.
- One of the two characters revealed aiding the attack on Noah's base had been confirmed to be Death Scythe Tezca Tlipoca. It was originally thought to be the monkey, Enrique, as Sid could not understand the death scythe from South America. However, this was false as Enrique was in fact Tezca Tlipoca's meister.
- It is known that there were eight death scythes at the start of the series, but only four were seen in anime.
- By the conclusion of the manga, Soul is referred to as the Last Death Scythe, Justin Law is dead, Tezca Tlipoca is confined to his mirror form, and Tsar Pushka, along with his meister Feodor, are referred to as "what amounts to [...] murder[ed]" but also as "living souls" trapped within the spheres of Black Blood in Russian.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 0.1 (Prologue 1)
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga:Chapter 6
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 1
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 99
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Soul Eater Manga:Chapter 63
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 113
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 89: Yen Press translation, Volume 21, page 41
- ↑ Soul Eater manga: Chapter 83, Yen Press United States English translation, Volume 20 page 63