"Now, now. There's nothing wrong with being addicted to peace. In fact, lets get more and more addicted. After all, that would mean the world is all the more peaceful. Which is why we can't afford to ruin this peace. We'll just have to entrust to the rest of them..."
|Current | Past|
Skulls & Death-related items
Headmaster of the DWMA
John Swansey (English, anime)
|List of Appearances | Gallery|
Death (デス, Desu), was the Death God and the Great Old One whose affiliation with Madness presides over "Order". 800 years ago, he led his personal guard known as the Eight Shinigami Legions and created his first son, Asura, as a fragment of his soul containing his fears. and made him his apprentice However, he was forced to seal Asura when he became a Kishin and bound him under what he would later found as the DWMA, also known as Death Weapon Meister Academy, and became its headmaster and leader in its military department until his death when his second son and heir, Death the Kid, connected all three of the Lines of Sanzu. He is commonly referred to as Shinigami with the "-sama" suffix as a term of respect in the manga or Lord Death in the English dub.
Death's duty as a Death God is to preserve the world order by maintaining balance. 800 years prior to the start of Soul Eater, Death led the group, the Eight Shinigami Legions after the creation of the Demon Weapon race. However, he was betrayed by his first apprentice and son, Asura, when he became the first Kishin. Unable to kill him due to his immortality, Death sealed him away and started an organization, DWMA, to prevent the rise of another Kishin.
Called a "god without arrogance" by Franken Stein, Death himself is a kind, wise, and benevolent figure, often showing care for those within the DWMA as well as optimistic. This is shown when Kilik Rung became frustrated with the situation during the anniversary eve of the DWMA with Death reassuring that there was nothing wrong with being "used" to peace and how that makes the world a peaceful place. Despite his background and powerful position within the school, he tends to speak in a silly voice as well as changed his mask and appearance to not scare children. He's also capable of sympathy and compassion even for individuals whom are Witches and is demonstrated when he unconditionally allowed members of the DWMA to do what they can to help Angela Leon, a notion in which surprised some members of the DWMA so much they wondered If he was even taking them seriously. In addition, Death has an easygoing nature to the point that even after facing Stein, Marie, and Spirit in their plan to let Stein go despite being wanted, he let all of them off with only an apology.
Despite his benevolent and easygoing nature, even Death himself has a far more serious side. He's next to intolerant on Spirit's drunken and silly behavior at times as well as to inappropriate behavior. He's also not above punishing others, such as Maka when she borrowed the Book of Eibon's Manuscript using Spirit's I.D Card and was also openly critical of Spirit's irresponsibility in letting her do so and was nearly adamant about punishing Maka, though this attitude seemingly stemmed from the fact he was set on rescuing his son. Azusa Yumi also described him as being pushy, a trait in which has passed to his son as well. Despite having shown support in his son when he claimed the Witches will assist, it was shown that even he was doubtful of their appearance. This was shown to even cause him to be angry when he assumed they were attacked, calling them "bitches" and suspected they would attack and was surprised to see it was Excalibur who had arrived. When he disapproves of various actions from individuals, he will even issue Shinigami Chops. While normally DWMA students or staff are issued these chops, he's shown to even take the opportunity to strike and chop those whom have caused issues such as Medusa Gorgon. In the anime, He's shown to be confident in his own overwhelming power, claiming that Asura's defeat was decided when he became trapped in the Death Room prior to their battle.
However, even with his status Death possesses a few flaws on his own. Death has admitted that both humans and gods have weaknesses as well as having showcased guilt for being the one to create Asura to the point he felt he couldn't speak ill of Medusa Gorgon's own treatment of her child as an experiment and expressed further frustration in having to leave the problems he created to others such as his son and his companions. In the anime, he is also known to be reckless by both Death the Kid and Asura.
Death himself possesses some eccentricities: He gives out short greeting speech, at times puts his students in dangerous but fabricated situations for the sake of bettering them, and enjoys telling expositions. In the anime, he can get homonyms mixed up at times such as "pause" and "paws" or "Mandolin" and the last name "Manheling" and cannot "handle" coffee-enthusiasts such as Joe Buttataki.
Main article: Death/Relationships
Death appears as a being covered in a tattered piece of pitch black cloth with many jagged edges, decorated with a cartoony skull mask, which seems to serve the sole purpose of imitating an otherwise absent face—a means of rendering Death more humanoid and thus making it more comfortable for humans (particularly children) to communicate. Occasionally, he also appears with large, foam gloved hands from his side, in which seemingly materialize. Throughout the series, as Death the Kid connects the Lines of Sanzu, various cracks on his mask are made.
In the past, Death sported a much more intimidating look. He wore a grim-looking skull mask. He also had black claws instead of hands with his signature “Death” written on the right forearm, and a deep, menacing voice. He has been shown to have skeleton hands during the scene of flaying of Asura. He also additionally possessed more, human-like large gloves.
Death is an extremely powerful god, being one of the, if not, most powerful character within the Soul Eater universe. As a Great Old One according to the Great Old One of Power, his very existence drives men into insanity. His entire soul encompasses Death City and is the largest seen in the series and his powered is revered at a high status, evoking fear to even courageous individuals such as Shaula Gorgon or genuine nervousness to others like Medusa Gorgon.
While little capabilities of Death's raw power has been show, Kid using his own father's wavelength proved sufficient to destroying both the Horror Dragon & Noah (Greed) (decimating the other both body and soul) whereas all of Spartoi were unable to damage the Dragon. In combat, he proved to have sufficient power to defeat and skin alive his own apprentice (and most strongest of the Eight Shinigami Legions as well as being a Kishin), Asura, as well as the Witch, Arachne Gorgon, with both individuals suffering near death experiences. Death once claimed that he'd be able to kill Blair with either one swing of his Scythe or even a single Shinigami Chop.
It's been speculated by Spirit himself that had Death been able to utilize his Death Scythe form against the Kishin that he would of been able to stop and possibly kill Asura (despite the latter possessing Immortality). Additionally, it is revealed that though not only could Death himself counter the effects of the Madness of Fear with his own Madness of Order (and opted to not use it), he also possessed the equal power to spread it across the entire world like Asura.
- Official statements
In an interview, Ohkubo once stated that if he could be any character, he'd be Lord Death due to him being a powerful character, a testament to the character's extreme power.
Lines of Sanzu (ザ ライン オブ サンズ, Za Rain obu Sanzu): Being that of a true Death God, Death himself possess all three of the Lines of Sanzu connected, in which gives him his powers as well as the status of a True Death God. From this status, he is able to jude and tell a good soul from an evil one in which is indistinguishable otherwise. However, by doing so, he adds them to the Shinigami's List in which he maintains and for some unknown reason, those under the list have a quality change in their soul and can be tracked by a user of Soul Perception.
- Shinigami Powers (死神の力, Shinigami no Chikara): Due to his Lines of Sanzu, possesses incredibly powerful, latent divine powers. Many of these techniques are not only exclusive to him but also may be shared by his fragments, Death the Kid and Asura. He can also interact with mirrors and magical-like mirror mediums like the Shinigami's Mirror, able to talk to others like that of a phone or spectate like that of a Crystal Ball. He can also reside within the Mirrors occasionally.
- Death Claw (死神クロー, Shinigami Kurō): Death calls out four shadowy claws from his body, with black skulls at the end of them. The nature of this attack is mostly unknown, though it can be assumed that the attack slashes or grabs an opponent as well as being capable of ripping the skin off of it's target.
- Shield (シールド, Shīrudo):Death can creates a shield that resembles his mask to protect himself.
- Seal (封印, Fūin): Death has showcased powerful capability in sealing, having done away with the first generation Kishin, Asura, by tearing off his skin and making a sealing back out of his withering remains and bound his soul to keep Asura supressed as well as maintained the seal, making him reluctant to leaving the proximity where Asura was located. He was also capable of keeping active seals in case the Kishin would ever be resurrected, though the seal's power waned during the eight hundred years of activity so much so when Asura was revived, it was weak enough to be torn apart like paper.
- Shape-Shift (形体変化, Kei Taihen): Death is capable of being able to change his own properties of his body. These capabilities includes altering his body to appear less menacing. At times, it seems that Death also possess some ability to alter the size of his body, reaching the height of the long Death Room Mirror (in which varies in size). It's unknown, however, exactly how large he can make himself, though has been seen to be far larger then Spirit Albarn, Marie Mjolnir, and Franken Stein.
- Collect (回収, Kaishū): As a Death God, Death is capable of collecting souls and storing it into his body.
- Katsu (喝, Katsu): A powerful yell in which allows Death to channel powerful energy around him, powerful enough to destroy Asura's Skin Wrappings.
Soul Perception (魂感知能力, Tamashii Kanchi): Being a Death God, he is at least capable of sensing souls, able to distinguish a good human soul from a evil one even from the Death Room to others all over the world. This capability exists onto to him due to being a fully realized Death God. He also understands the nature of souls themselves, such as a Witch's soul having transformative abilities when combined with other souls and inanimate objects.
- Death Room (デス ルーム, Desu Rūmu): Within DWMA is a room in which Death himself presides in and is assumed he created. According to his own admission, the room in which he resides in can reflect the order of the world and is sensitive to the "Onset of Madness".
Death's Wavelength: Death possess an extremely powerful Soul Wavelength, courtesy of him being a Death God. Specifically, he has a Soul Wavelength on that of a god's level and equal to that of Asura, who's Wavelength pressure was potentially capable of imploding those who possess weaker souls. He's shown the capability of giving a portion of his Wavelength to his son, Death the Kid, via the Lines of Sanzu.When utilized by Kid as he forfeits the Wavelength within him, the Wavelength was powerful enough to kill the Horror Dragon with Kid's Parent's Seven Rays attack.
- Madness Wavelength (狂気の波長, Kyōki no hachō): As a Great Old One and True Death God, his very presence, according to the Great Old One of Power, plunging men into Madness .Because of his Madness Wavelength, he can spread his variant of Madness around the world and like Asura's Madness, can distort certain Magic types as well as Demon Tools.
- Madness of Order (規律の狂気, Kiritsu no kyōki): This madness in particular, according to Death the Kid, had the ability to eclipse all human emotion and leave only a mechanical cycle of birth and death. This is known as a Death God's "true power" and is connected to the Lines of Sanzu. According Asura's comments, the Madness of Order has the ability to counteract even his Madness of Fear at the expense of taking away humanity's emotions. Death's fate in humanity, however, makes him voluntarily not use this power.
Utility Meister (万能職人, Ban'nō Shokunin):Being a Death God, Death and having a vast understanding of souls, Death himself is a powerful Meister and able to commune with various types of Demon Weapons in the series and resonate with them enough to use them and is spiritually flexible as a result. It seems that those with the title of Death Scythe are implied to also be wielded in addition, with Death skilled in wielding a multitude of weapons.
- Scythe-Meister (鎌職人, Kama Shokunin): Spirit speculated that had he sported the Death Scythe wepaon, he would have been capable of defeating Asura.
Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Death is capable of hand-to-hand combat, capable of performing the "Shinigami Chop" technique in which was proficient enough to send Asura to the ground and create a small crater. Furthermore, he once speculated that he himself could defeat Blair in a single strike.
- Shinigami Chop (脳天直撃死神チョップ, Nōten Chokugeki Shinigami Choppu): One of Death's signature moves, he executes a powerful karate chop capable of not only injuring the Kishin Asura but even speculated to be capable of ending Blair in one hit.
Death God Physiology: Death's physiology is far more advanced than most races. As a Death God, his body repels everything, including the likes of poison and dye. He's also able to stretch out his body parts such as his arms and hand as well as contort his body to enable himself to move faster.
- Regeneration: He also showcase the ability to regenerate his body after Asura drilled through the latter in seconds (this wasn't present in the anime, however.
- Immortality (不死, Fushi): Death himself has lived for over 800 years. It is possible this immortality is similar to Asura's own, who inherited his immortality from Death due to being the embodiment of his fears (and fear itself as a result).
Enhanced Strength: He also possess immense strength, enough to effortlessly chop Asura into the ground strong enough to create craters as well as his punches able to do so.
Enhanced Durability: Death hasalso survived the powerful explosion of Lost Island, in which was powerful enough to lay waste to the entire island and created a demonic anomaly. Death possesses has a healing factor in which allows any wounds he sustains to heal instantly.
High-Level Intellect: Being the Death God, he has a high amount of knowledge of Souls. He is also the one who is able to judge them before putting evil souls on a list. He normally, along with Stein, is the character who provides the explanations of anything related to the topic. He was able to thoroughly explain how the Demon Weapons were created,, displaying much intelligence in the subject. He displayed familiarity with Spatial Magic that entrapped him and his fellow allies. and was even aware of Eibon's Chapters in the Book of Eibon.
According to Franken Stein, due to the sealing of Asura via rooting his soul, Death is unable to travel beyond the realms of his own soul, which encompasses the entirety of Death City. For Death to move, it would require the movement of the entire city itself, even If Asura is released. This fact was later used by Asura to escape from his fight with him. In addition, Death also doubted his own power to finish off Asura without Death Scythe on hand, in which case is most likely due to the latter's Immortality.
- Though Death's face has yet to be seen, Death has mentioned that he has face behind his mask and Kid, in the anime, has also has commented that Death rarely takes off his mask.
- Death doesn't seem to possess any sort of internal organs or even blood, a trait in which unique to him and not to his sons for unknown reasons.
- Death's prominent symbol of his mask was based upon the symbol involved with the character "Shotaro" and his "Kyoukotsu" in Atsushi's earlier series B. Ichi.
- Death seems to be the Christianity figure, God, within the universe of Soul Eater, and is even referred to as the "Father" as well as worshiped.
- In both the Japanese- and English-language versions of the anime, Death's voice changes to that of 800 years ago. Instances include when he battles Asura in Death City in Episode 24 and in the Death Room in Episode 48, and even when he intimidates Spirit to speak with Justin Law in Episode 31.
- During the A Fight to the Death at the Anniversary Celebration Arc, Kid and Stein confirm that Death anchored not only his soul but his body to the spot of land that would become Death City in order to prevent Asura from escaping, hence making Shinigami and Death City one and the same. This oneness between Death and his city may clarify the name and imagery of death and skulls found in Death City: the city itself may be an extension of Death's own body.
- Death's character was inspired by the horror movie character, Jason Voorhees. Ohkubo intended to to make a frightening but "classy" and popular character that is nice and ambivalent. Furthermore, Ohkubo has also stated that if he were to choose any character to be, he'd choose Lord Death because of him being a powerful character.
|One-Star||Hero • Tom • Soul's admirer • Soul's proposer • CronaAnime|
|Two-Star||Black☆Star • Death the Kid • Kilik Rung • Maka Albarn • Ox Ford • Kim Diehl|
|Three-Star||Alexandre • Franken Stein • Sid Barett • Enrique • Zubaidah|
|One-Star||Tom's partner • RagnarokAnime|
|Two-Star||Elizabeth Thompson • Harvar D. Éclair • Patricia Thompson • Fire • Thunder • Soul "Eater" Evans • Tsubaki Nakatsukasa • Jacqueline O'Lantern Dupré|
|Three-Star||Mira Naigus • Spirit Albarn • Azusa Yumi • Tezca Tlipoca • Marie Mjolnir|
|Deceased (Three-Star)||Death • Feodor|
|Graduated||Joe Buttataki • Auntie|
|Deceased (Three-Star)||Tsar Pushka|
|Defection (Three-Star)||Justin Law|
|Active||Eibon • Asura • Great Old One of Power • Excalibur|
|Fragment||Death the Kid • Asura|