"I was alone. But you came up to me, gave me a smile, and asked to be my friend. I couldn't help but cry because I finally found someone I can call...my friend."
Crona as he/she appears in Soul Eater.
|Alias/Nicknames||Demon Sword Master|
|Affiliation(s)||The DWMA (anime-only)|
|Residence|| Death City(Anime)|
|Teams/Group||Medusa's Group (formerly)|
|Relation(s)|| Medusa Gorgon (Mother)|
Arachne Gorgon (Aunt)
Shaula Gorgon (Aunt)
|Real World Data|
|Voice Actor(s)/Seiyu|| Maaya Sakamoto (Japanese)|
Maxey Whitehead (English)
|Anime Debut||Episode 6|
|(Image Gallery) (List of Appearances)|
Crona (クロナ, Kurona; Literally meaning "Dark One") is one of the first reoccurring antagonists of the Soul Eater series. The child of Medusa Gorgon, Crona is a meister who is a wield the Demon Sword, Ragnarok, that resides within his/her body due to Ragnarok being apart of his/het Black Blood. By combining a meister/weapon into one body, Medusa attempts to make Crona a Kishin.
Crona is the child of Medusa.. Sometime (presumably) in the infant or toddler stage, Crona's natural blood was replaced by the Black Blood, merging them with the melted-down Ragnarok. Crona is then instructed by Medusa throughout his/her childhood to kill and torture small animals by different means, trying to get them used to killing people and build a base of madness for the potential Kishin. For years, Medusa tempted the madness within Crona by ordering (and controlling) them to slaughter for the sake of consuming souls, be it good or evil.
Crona is a very naive and submissive person who is constantly pestered by Ragnarok in the form of noogies and threats to eat Crona's share of food. Crona does not like to fight (often unable to overcome any obstacles presented) but Medusa regularly introduces a spell into Crona's mind which increases his/her aggression. Ragnarok also bullies them into fighting at times under the form of threats and physical abuse. While under Medusa's control, Crona becomes dangerously unstable, showing signs of insanity and aggression, spouting senseless comments and laughing at random moments. Crona is incredibly nervous and jumpy, and the slightest thing can make them frightened. Crona is also incredibly emotional and sensitive. After Crona becomes friends with Maka in the anime, however, Crona begins to become surer of themself, but still has difficulty making decisions. He/she soon begin to distinguish the difference between good and evil.
Crona is extremely negative, enough so that a poem Crona wrote was so abundantly depressing it made Black Star, Maka, Marie, Soul, and Sid sulk in a corner and wish he/she were never born (though in Sid's case, he wishes he was never revived) after reading it, with Crona shortly following suite. Crona seems to want to adapt to interacting with people, but it seems hard for them to do, most likely because of Medusa's abusive treatment. However, Crona does show signs of slowly opening up to the people around them, and becomes touched with how the others care about them, up to the point he/she think he/she does not deserve that much attention. Crona seems more relaxed around Maka. Unless Maka comes and fetches them, Crona normally stays in a corner of any room, and will cower in it if frightened, calling the corner 'Mr. Corner'. Crona mostly interacts with others only when Maka is present, since Maka can easily tune in to Crona's Soul Wavelength to be understanding and calming when needed. Crona also expresses unusual determination when it comes to helping or protecting Maka. Due to Crona's lack of interaction with others (other than eating other's souls), Crona has nearly no experience in interacting with other people, hence Crona's catchphrase, "I don't know how to deal with [???]..." Crona cannot adapt to new situations and can panic easily, and finds it difficult to make decisions.
Despite the fact that Crona was beginning to adapt to his/her new life, he/she were coerced back into working for Medusa and ran away from Shibusen after acting as a spy for Medusa. After returning to Medusa, Crona's personality reverts back to his/her original dark, insane state. Crona also seems to suffer from amnesia, not remembering Maka or his/her friends However; he/she show signs of inner conflict as he/she attempt to remember his/her past life.
In the Anime, Crona becomes more determined and courageous when he/she decide to go and defeat Medusa and rescue Stein alongside Marie and Maka. Although still nervous and unsettled by Medusa, Crona stands up to her and even risks his/her life for Maka. In the anime, Crona also seems to have a good sense of direction, being able to navigate both himself/herself and Marie through The DWMA and Medusa's lair.
Main Article: Crona/Relationships
Crona has an androgynous appearance, with a thin body, monotone expression, pink hair, black eyes, and tall stature. Crona's hair is quite short, with several long, large clumps sticking out in several places. The bangs are straight-cut and end above the eyebrows, but do not stay very uniform. Two long pieces of hair extend from the bangs and hang low over Crona's face.
Most of the time, Crona wears a long black old-style robe that is tight-fitting and ends at the mid-calf level on his/her legs. The robe is completed with large white cuff-links at the ends of each sleeve and a tall white button-up collar at the neck. Black slipper-like shoes with a tall white cuff protruding out of the top are also worn. For formal occasions, Crona wears a white suit: the suit is very plain, with long un-detailed pants and a coat with long sleeves and a collar. The coat appears to fasten at the front and back.
As a child, Crona wore a black knee-high dress. The dress has a rugged cut-out at the bottom, laced with several white diamonds. Like the present-day clothing, the childhood design also has a white collar and cuffs. The shoes stay relatively the same, as well. Crona's hair is shorter and simpler in this stage, but overall the same design. Also his/her pupils were for some reason rather large at the time.
After being "re-shaped" by Medusa and fused completely with the Black Clown, his/her clothes have been covered by several steel/cloth plates on his/her shoulders coming from his/her neck and more plates around the waist, though it now manifests without the aid of the other two arms, becoming part of some kind of permanent attire.
When not fused with the Black Clown, Crona still wears a black dress, but without the white cuffs and collar. The dress is now covered by thick folds of fabric covering the feet (slightly similar to Arachne's dress).
Also, as Crona edges closer to utter insanity, his/her features become noticeably sharper, with a thin and long body, long and bony fingers, and sharper, colder eyes.
Crona is presented throughout the series as having an ambiguous sex, and although hints are given to identify the gender in both the anime and manga, nothing has ever stated it exactly.
- The katakana for Crona's name is actually the last 3 katakana for Ragnarok's name in reverse.
- Crona is known for their catchphrase "I don't know how to deal with [???]..."
- Crona's appearance and many of their abilities are likely based on the character "Emine" in Atsushi's earlier series B. Ichi, and in turn most likely inspired the Deadmen from Deadman Wonderland, which was released 3 years after Soul Eater.
- Another one of Crona's catchphrases, when in his/her maddened state, is that of informing an opponent that their blood is black.
- Crona's personality is set to mirror Asura's before he became a Kishin, being overly scared of everyone, not knowing how to cope with fear, and believing that the only way to escape fear is through the attainment of great power.
- Black☆Star apparently assumes that Crona is a male. Asking Crona whether or not he/she had a "third sword" with uncertainty. However, although Ragnarok tries to reveal Crona's genitals* by pulling up their outfit, Crona prevents him from doing so, and the event is suddenly ignored.
- In Crona's past, his/her first opponent was The Little One, a small bunny that he/she was forced to kill. In the anime, however, The Little One is censored into a small black dragon.
- In Chapter 87, it's revealed that Crona's favorite dish is pasta, which Medusa makes for lunch after he/she return from their missions.
- In the English dub of the anime, male pronouns are used to refer to Crona, but this does not mean Crona is male. Funimation admitted that he/she had to settle with this rule because he/she felt that "it" would have been insulting to Crona as a character. The same rule applies to the Yen Press translation of the manga
- Atsushi Okubo stated himself that he's unaware of Crona's Gender, as he hasn't settled for his/her gender.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 4 — Crona is credited as simply a meister, a human quality until told otherwise in Soul Eater.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 21 — Shows Crona's Soul as a human like most souls.
- ↑ Soul Eater Episode 21 — However, the anime shows a purple hue. While that doesn't automatically say Crona is a witch and he's identified as a meister and Crona doesn't perform magic, Crona may have witch-like qualities from Medusa.
- ↑ YenPlus+ February 2009
|E.A.T Students||Black☆Star • Death the Kid • Elizabeth Thompson • Harvar D. Éclair • Hiro • Kirikou Rung • Maka Albarn • Ox Ford • Patricia Thompson • Pot of Fire and Pot of Thunder • Soul Evans • Tsubaki Nakatsukasa • Kim Diehl • Jacqueline O. Lantern Dupré|
|N.O.T Students||Anastasia Yngling • Eternal Feather • Kana Altair • Meme Tatane • Tsugumi Harudori •Hao •Reid • Aaron|