Directory: Characters → Crona
Cronawarning.pngThe given value was not understood.
|Voiced by (English)||
Crona (クロナ, Kurona; Literally meaning "Dark One") is one of the first reoccurring antagonists of the Soul Eater series. The child of Medusa Gorgon, Crona is a Demon Sword Master whose weapon, Ragnarok, resides permanently within his/her blood. Despite the fact that Ragnarok is very muscular, Crona is very flimsy. Crona was Medusa's first attempt at creating a Kishin, but instead of turning into a Demon god, Crona instead turned to help Shibusen defeat Medusa and ultimately, the Kishin. Crona is presented with an ambiguous gender throughout the entire series and while there have been hints toward Crona's sex in both directions, nothing definitive has been presented.
Crona has an androgynous appearance, with a thin body, monotone expression, pink hair, and tall stature. His/Her hair is quite short, with several long, large clumps sticking out in several places. The bangs are straight-cut and end above the eyebrows, but do not stay very uniform. Two long pieces of hair extend from the bangs and hang low over Crona's face.
Most of the time, Crona wears a long black old-style robe that is tight-fitting and ends at the mid-calf level on his/her legs. The robe is completed with large white cuff-links at the ends of each sleeve and a tall white button-up collar at the neck. Black slipper-like shoes with a tall white cuff protruding out of the top are also worn. For formal occasions, Crona wears a white suit: the suit is very plain, with long, un-detailed pants and a coat with long sleeves and a collar. The coat appears to fasten at the front and back.
As a child, Crona wore a black knee-high dress. The dress has a rugged cut-out at the bottom, laced with several white diamonds. Like the present-day clothing, the childhood design also has a white collar and cuffs. The shoes stay relatively the same, as well. Crona's hair is shorter and simpler in this stage, but overall the same design.
After being "re-shaped" by Medusa and fused completely with the Black Clown, his/her clothes have been covered by several steel/cloth plates covering his/her shoulders coming from his/her neck and more plates around the waist, though it now manifests without the aid of the other two arms, becoming part of some kind of permanent attire.
When not fused with the Black Clown, Crona still wears a black dress, but without the white cuffs and collar. The dress is now covered by thick folds of fabric covering the feet (slightly similar to Arachne's dress).
Also, as Crona edges closer to utter insanity, his/her features become noticably sharper, with a thin and long body, long and bony fingers, and sharper, colder eyes.
|“||But I've never seen a guy with a screw sticking out of his head before! I don't know how I'm supposed to deal with a guy like that.||”|
—Crona, Episode 8
Crona was taught at an early age to kill and torture small animals by Medusa to get him/her used to killing people. Crona is Ragnarok's meister, and is initially under Medusa's orders (and control) to take any soul they find, be it evil or good. Crona is a very naive and submissive person who is constantly pestered by Ragnarok in the form of noogies and threats to eat Crona's share of food. Crona does not like to fight (often unable to overcome any obstacles presented) but Medusa normally introduces a spell into Crona's mind which increases Crona's aggression. Ragnarok also bullies him into fighting. While under Medusa's control, Crona becomes dangerously unstable, showing signs of insanity and aggression, spouting senseless comments and laughing at random moments. Crona is incredibly nervous and jumpy, and the slightest thing can make him/her frightened. Crona is also incredibly emotional and sensitive. After Crona becomes friends with Maka in the anime, however, Crona begins to become surer of herself/himself, but still has difficulty making decisions. He soon begins to distinguish the difference between good and evil.
Crona is extremely negative, negative enough that a poem he/she wrote was depressing enough to make Black Star, Maka, Marie, Soul, and Sid hide in a corner after reading it. Crona seems to want to adapt to interacting with people, but it seems hard for him/her to do, most likely because of Medusa's abusive treatment. However, Crona does show signs of slowly opening up to the people around him/her, and becomes touched with how the others care about him/her, up to the point he/she thinks he does not deserve that much attention. Crona seems more relaxed around Maka, unless Maka comes and fetches him/her, Crona normally stays in a corner of any room, and will cower in it if frightened, calling the corner 'Mr. Corner'. Crona mostly interacts with others only when Maka is present, since Maka can easily tune in to Crona's Soul Wavelength to be understanding and calming when needed. Crona also expresses unusual determination when it comes to helping or protecting Maka. Due to Crona's lack of interaction with others (other than eating their souls), Crona has nearly no experience in interacting with other people, hence Crona's catchphrase, "I don't know how to deal with [???]..." Crona cannot adapt to new situations and can panic easily, and finds it difficult to make decisions.
Despite the fact that Crona was beginning to adapt to his/her new life, he/she was coerced back into working for Medusa and ran away from Shibusen after acting as a spy for Medusa. After returning to Medusa, Crona's personality reverts back to his/her original dark, insane state. Crona also seems to suffer from amnesia, not remembering Maka or his/her friends However; he/she shows signs of inner conflict as he/she attempts to remember his/her past life.
In the anime, Crona becomes more determined and courageous when he/she decides to go and defeat Medusa and rescue Stein alongside Marie and Maka. Although still nervous and unsettled by Medusa, Crona stands up to her and even risks his/her life for Maka. In the anime, Crona also seems to have a good sense of direction, being able to navigate both himself/herself and Marie through DWMA and Medusa's lair.
Crona is presented throughout the series as having an ambiguous sex, and although hints are given to identify the gender, nothing has ever stated it exactly. It is important to note that Crona refers to himself/herself with the masculine pronoun boku (僕)— Japanese for "I", which is used mainly by, but not exclusively, males.  However, the term is becoming more popular with females and is not unheard of to be used by a girl, especially tomboys. This is seen in other anime such as Souseiseki in Rozen Maiden for example. Also, Medusa always calls Crona as "my child", never referring something more specific as "son" or "daughter".
Crona is Medusa's child, though the father is unknown. Sometime in (presumably) the infant or toddler stage, Crona's natural blood is replaced by the melted-down Ragnarok's Black Blood. Crona is instructed by Medusa to kill small animals, trying to build a base of madness for the potential Kishin. For years, Medusa tempts the madness within Crona to slaughter for the sake of consuming souls. Since Crona had never heard of Shibusen until confronted by Maka in the church, Medusa must have only given Crona the most basic of educations.
Crona's blood has been entirely replaced with 'Black Blood' which both protects Crona from physical harm and provides a degree of healing. Ragnarok, originally a normal weapon, was melted into the black blood before the transfusion, which causes their symbiotic nature. This also allows them to do attacks using the Black Blood exclusive to them. Since Medusa is Crona's mother, there may be potential for him/her to be able to use magic, but nothing has been observed as of yet. In the anime, despite having no onscreen training, Crona successfully pulls off a Chain Resonance with Maka and Marie. Later in the manga version Crona dons two new appendages each armed with a different blade. It is interesting to note that, even if Ragnarok is fully part of Crona's body by being melted in his/her blood; they can separate, but only in the weapon/meister combination. The Bloody attacks put aside, it appears in Chapter 13 that Crona is able to throw the Demon Sword to an enemy (in this case, the Flying Dutchman). After killing Medusa (and possibly, eating her soul), Crona gained the strange ability to manifest his/her shadow or generate black blood from his/her feet in a strange, spiky vines appearance, being fast enough to cut Maka's cheek without her even noticing it and resilient enough to completely block an attack from Black Star. His/Her black blood also allowed him/her to create wings for flying, which are strong enough to take him/her to the moon. After absorbing the Kishin Asura, Crona power and control over Black Blood increased tremendously, as he was shown to be able to rip a tooth from Moon itself and overpower Black Star with sheer physical force during the Battle on the Moon.
Like Maka does with Soul, all of Crona's attacks are used together with Ragnarok.
- Screech Alpha: Same as the Screech Beta but launch at the enemy as a projectile with explosive results.
- Screech Beta: A powerful slash in the form of a mouth.
- Screech Gamma: A multi-slashing attack that releases sound waves in succession.
- Screech Delta: Crona uses his/her three arms to fire numerous sound waves in all directions.
- Black Dragon: A soul resonance when Ragnarok will absorb all human soul eggs and morph into a dragon-form. All of Crona's attacks are enhanced.
- Bloody Needles: This attack can only be performed when Crona's blood has been spilled, transforming it into black needles that stab through the opponent if they get too close. After getting "re-shaped" by Medusa, Crona's bloody needles are almost whirlwind-like shaped and can change direction to follow the enemy even if they miss the first shot.
- Bloody Slicer: Crona will cut his/her own wrist and then make a flinging motion with the arm, when this happens Ragnarok will change the blood into a blade for medium ranged attacks.
- Bloody Lance: With his/her writs cut, he/she flings it in a circle and a huge black-blood thorn appears in his/her front launching itself like a dart towards the enemy. The effects were not seen as both Black Star & Russia's Death scythe,Tsar Pushka,managed to stop the attack.
- Bloody Coat: With unseen ways Crona manifests black blood and creates a cloak-like shield with it (with the bottom collar shaped like arrows). It seems to be able to withstand substantial damage.
- Mad Blood: Crona's lower half becomes bloated like a flower's bud with three kishin eyes on it. It’s unknown how, but when hit, the target becomes trapped in a huge black-blood ball that emanates madness. As of Chapter 87, Crona confirmed that when hit by the attack; the victim "swallows madness, melts into madness, and hardens with madness". This attack can grow powerful enough to swallow entire cities, as shown at the end of Chapter 84.
- Rose Thorn Storm: This attack works the same way as Medusa's Vector Storm,with the addition of a few thorns sprouting blooming Roses made of black blood.
- Thorn Defense: Crona's second defensive technique. Crona crosses his/her arms as multiple thorn arrows appear from beneath his/her robe & shoot upwardsin front of Crona like a fence,allowing him/her to block multiple frontal attacks.
- Crona's weapon, as well as part of his/her blood. When Crona was a child, Medusa melted down Ragnarok, at that time a regular weapon, and combined him with black blood. She then injected this mixture into Crona's own blood, creating an unwilling symbiosis and permanently fusing Crona with Ragnarok.
- Ragnarok is a playful character, and acts like an annoying older brother to Crona. He often gives the meister noogies, steals his/her food, plays with his/her nose, and even lifted up Crona's robe at one point, almost exposing the underwear. Whenever Ragnarok is angry with his meister, he will not hesitate to pop out of him/her and begin attacking Crona in an annoying, playful, but slightly violent way. He also uses Crona as a human shield at times, notably only for non-lethal attacks, like Maka Chop.
- However, despite his teasing, Ragnarok does seem to care about Crona. He heals Crona whenever needed (although always pestering for a "thank you very much" afterword) and provides constant vocal motivation during battle. Ragnarok realizes that if Crona dies, he will die too, ultimately driving him to protect his meister as much as possible.
- Maka Albarn
- Crona's first friend; they share a similar soul wavelength. It was during the Underground Shibusen battle in which the Kishin was revived where Maka and Crona became friends: after seeing into Crona's soul and realizing the emptiness and sadness of his/her past, Maka came to understand Crona on a deep level. Not long after, Maka gave Crona presumably his/her first loving physical contact when she hugged him/her and gave him/her a handshake.
- After the Underground Battle, Maka and Crona become formidable friends. It is with Maka's help that the meister learns how to fit into Shibusen, and at first Crona won't even leave a room without Maka. Although the strong relationship seems to be one-sided at times (as Maka has many friends and often does not spend time on-screen with Crona) ultimately Maka's love for Crona is shown when she decides to help Crona defeat Medusa rather than help Shibusen bring down the Kishin at Baba Yaga Castle. This choice would ultimately save Crona's life for the time being.
- Crona's blood mother, and the one who fused the black blood (containing Ragnarok) into Crona's blood. Medusa seems to act towards her child as if he/she were a servant and is overall less of a mother and more of an enemy. She, as of yet, has not displayed any definitive affection for Crona.
- Medusa trained Crona in the hopes that he/she would one day rise to become the next Demon God. However, as it grows more and more apparent that Crona does not have the will to fulfill this task, Medusa spoke often of "throwing out" her unneeded child. Once Crona attends Shibusen, however, she forces Crona to be a spy and complete tasks for her.
- In the anime, Medusa ultimately has no problem seemingly mortally wounding Crona, enticing Maka's fury. However, in the manga, she claims that Crona has been captured and that no parent wants their child to be sacrificed (though this turns out to be a ruse in order to manipulate Maka further).
- Marie Mjölnir
- Marie and Crona share a very close relationship, and Marie treats Crona in a very gentle, friendly fashion. Resembling Maka's manner of treating him. Crona intensely enjoys this part of Marie and often becomes more happy and comforted when around her. Marie particularly likes Crona, regarding him as a "good kid" who is "so sweet and quiet". Marie acknowledges that Crona is an extremely gentle soul, and does whatever she can to help him/her no matter the situation. She also shows great enthusiasm in brightening Crona up, and enjoys seeing him happy, and making him feel better when something appears to be wrong with him. Marie has also stated that Crona is one of the focal points in which she enjoys teaching at the DWMA so much. When viewed side-by-side, Marie is the complete opposite of Medusa. In the manner of treating Crona, acting around Crona, and even in Crona's personality towards her. It is rational to believe that Crona may view Marie in a motherly way, and Marie doing the same. Marie has never exhibited as much kindness and friendliness as she does with Crona with any other individual in the series.
- Soul Eater Evans
- Despite Crona giving Soul a scar Soul holds no grudge and tries to help out him/her. He appears to be friendly to Crona, mainly for Maka's sake, but he does show a little irritation such as when he threatened to kick Crona when he/she was being too frantic about the academy.
- Black Star
- Black Star quickly treats Crona as a friend, going so far as to beat up anyone who tries to pick on Crona (so he says). In the manga, when he confronts Crona after his/her return to Medusa, Black Star is angered that Crona forgot about them, especially Maka.
- Tsubaki Nakatsukasa
- Tsubaki appears to be kind and gentle toward Crona. She is even friendly towards Ragnarok, offering him food and candy, despite his rather rude comments and disgusting mannerisms.
- Death the Kid
- Crona and Kid seem to get along well, as Kid is seen not holding a grudge against him/her for what transpired at the Nidhögg. However, in the manga, when Crona was ordered to be executed by his father, Kid was the only meister who did not object as he believes it is needed to keep the order.
- Liz and Patty Thompson
- When Patty first saw Crona, she couldn't tell whether he/she was either male or female, further pushing the idea that Crona's gender has not been officially stated. They, like Kid, hold no grudge against him/her for what transpired at the Nidhögg. They are even seen helping Crona shop for clothes.
Part In The Story
Demon Sword Ragnarok
It is at this point where both Crona and Ragnarok are initially introduced into the story. On one of Maka and Soul's missions in Italy, Maka senses peculiar soul wavelengths coming from the Santa Maria Novella Basilica. Upon entering, the two discover Crona and his/her weapon, Ragnarok. The two meisters quickly engage in battle. However, the demon sword proves to be more than a match for Maka and Soul, and eventually gives Soul a serious wound: at this point, some of Ragnorok's Black Blood enters Soul's bloodstream. Crona is about to kill Soul and Maka by dealing the final fatal blow, before Spirit and Stein suddenly intervene. The second pair is on a completely different level than the previous Scythe meister, and Crona almost dies before Medusa reveals her own presence and retrieves her combatant.
Crona and Ragnarok appeared alongside Medusa at the Witch mass.
Crona next comes into conflict with Shibusen aboard the Nidhogg against Death the Kid. The shinigami is investigating the ghost ship, when Crona suddenly appears on board and absorbs all the ghost souls on the ship. Death the Kid and the demon sword begin to battle, and although Kid is able to suddenly get many shots in with his pistols, his attacks have no harmful affect on Crona thanks to his/her Black Blood. After Crona splits the ship in half with his/her Screech Alpha attack, he/she escapes the wrecked Nidhogg by flying with Ragnorok's wings as Death the Kid pursues the two. However, his obsession with symmetry ultimately stops him from catching Crona, as he notices how the clouds and sun in the sky are perfectly symmetrical. It is noted that, though Ragnorok has absorbed many innocent souls, there seems to be no sign of transformation into a Kishin.
The Anniversary Celebration
Crona appeared with the Mizune family ordered by Medusa.
The Eve's Fight to The Death
In Medusa's plan to revive the original Kishin under Shibusen, Crona is set as a guard for a portion of the hallway leading to the Demon God. Although it was originally Black Star's job to defeat Crona, Maka decides to engage in battle instead, as revenge for Soul's injury caused by Crona in Italy.
Once again, it appears the demon sword has the upper hand. The two fight for a while before Maka appears completely defeated. As Crona prepares to finish her off, suddenly Maka and Soul are thrust into madness, and the Black Blood in Soul's body is put into effect, giving Maka it's full abilities. Since both parties now have invincible bodies, the battle stabilizes. Meanwhile, Maka's soul sees into Crona's, where she experiences the despair and isolation of Crona's world and finally comes to understand the strange meister. Tearing out of madness, Maka suddenly stops the battle and hugs Crona, asking to become friends. This act of kindness cleanses Crona and Ragnarok's souls.
Crona surrenders to DWMA and is inside the dungeon and later Death decided to enroll in the Academy.
Crona, Maka and the others were on a tour for the School and later went with Maka & Soul on a mission in the Czech Republic to look for the Oldest Golem in Leow Village that's gone on a rampage. When they couldn't get any information from the people in the village, the Enchanter, Giriko (who called himself Sou at the time) shows up & proceeds to show the group where the Oldest Golem was. After the Oldest Golem makes its appearance & Maka discovers that it has a soul wavelength, Giriko finally tells the group his true name, along with his true intentions, as he transforms into his weapon form & lets the golem wield him as it begins attacking the group. But after Maka promises Ragnarok that she'll give him a fifteen pieces of candy if he helped, Ragnarok finally helps out, allowing Crona to use Screech Alpha; causing the golem to lose its balance long enough for Maka to land a blow. But after Maka becomes paralyzed due to the mysterious webs coming out of the wound, Crona jumps in to protect her when Giriko tries to kill her, only to have the both of them slammed into some brick trees. When every spider in the world begins to show up & forms around the golem, Crona steps in front of Maka & states that he/she will protect her; an act that both surprises & amazes Maka until Crona begins to shiver in fear when he/she finds out that the soul wavelength inside the golem belong to Arachne, Medusa's sister & Crona's aunt. Despite his/her fear, Crona manages to muster up enough courage to try attacking Arachne, thanks to Ragnarok's 'cheering' ,but Arachne blocked it with her fan,& counter-attacked by quickly slapping Crona with her fan, putting him/her in a daze. After telling the Enchanter to Get rid of the brat., Giriko immediately kicks Crona with enough force to send him/her flying. But after recovering from it, Crona & the others are shocked to find out that the kick had actually cut him/her as Giriko brags about his Saw Leg & how that its second gear should be more than enough to deal with them, to which Ragnarok retaliates saying that he could just immediately harden the blood after he cuts them. Unfortunately, Giriko quickly gains the upper hand as he came close to decapitating Crona until Death Scythe,Justin Law arrived & defeated the Oldest Golem by using his Law Abiding Silver Gun. After the battle, Crona, along with the others, pretends not to hear Maka when she asks why she has to lay in a coffin. Then he/she begins to put flowers in the coffin, making her think about how Sid must have felt when he was dead.
Crona was among the others for Maka at the School's medic room.
Crona was enjoying her/his life at DWMA with Maka and her friends, until Medusa forces Crona back into a spy.
The Corner of The Room
When Medusa returns, she sends Eruka to be a messenger and makes Crona act as a spy, but still considers Maka a friend. Crona is later told by Medusa to bug Marie with one of her snakes. This snake will allow Medusa to hear everything going on around Marie, which is intended to keep on eye on Stein, and also speed up the process of him succumbing to his madness.
On another night, Eruka tells Crona, who is now feeling guilty about what was done, that Maka overheard their conversation they had previously. Crona then disappears without telling anyone at Shibusen. The snake is later found by B.J.
Crona and Eruka were having a conversation with medusa about their plans.
Crona was instructed to leave the DWMA but had doubts about it due to his/her bond with Maka and the others
Operation: Capture Baba Yaga's Castle
It is at this point in the plot where the anime and manga branch off.
In the manga, Medusa claims that Crona has been captured by Arachne and is to become a live-sacrifice. This tempts Maka into taking part in the assault on Arachnophobia's base and so both Maka, Medusa and a group of Shibusen students proceed to the castle.
After Maka eventually defeats Arachne, bringing a close to the operation, Medusa takes over her body. It is then revealed that she was merely using Shibusen to accomplish her means and that Crona had never been captured. Medusa then tells an enraged Maka that she will never hand over Crona, where the scene suddenly shifts to a mysterious location, demonstrating Crona's current condition.
However, in the anime, Crona ventures off with Marie to Medusa's base to retrieve Stein and finally defeat Medusa. When the two reach Medusa's lair, a battle is quickly started. As Medusa and Crona fight, the witch sends soul waves into Crona, disconnecting the link between Crona and Ragnarok which renders Crona's black blood useless until the soul waves wear off. Right before Medusa deals a final blow to her child; Maka comes and blocks the Vector Blade from slicing him/her. With Maka now in the fight, the three continue to try to defeat Medusa and Stein. However, Stein appears to be too strong, and easily blocks off all attacks. As Crona and the others rest, Medusa tries to use a Vector Arrow to kill Maka. Crona jumps in the way and takes the blow instead at the last second, getting gravely injured. The demon sword appears to be dead from loss of blood.
Maka, horrified over the death of Crona, becomes berserk with rage and almost loses herself to madness like she did the night the Kishin was revived. However, Marie calms both Maka and Stein; she then saves Stein from madness using the Wavelength of Redemption. With Stein acting as Marie's meister, a Chain Resonance between the remaining parties occurs. While Stein distracts and leads Medusa, Maka unleashes her anti-demon wavelength's Majin Hunt, cutting off Medusa's soul from Rachael's body and slicing the soul in half, finally finishing off the witch for good.
After Stein reassures Maka that he will save Crona, she races off with Soul to go join the battle against the Kishin back at the Baba Yaba Castle. Crona turns out to be fine and sleeping soundly, but is out of the present battles against the Kishin until further notice. Over the end credits Crona is shown to be living with Soul, Maka and Blair, fully recovered, and shown again playing basketball with them.
Black Feathers vs White Feathers
In the middle of the night and located within a mysterious building; Crona is revealed just as Medusa utters the words, "It's time Crona", which only serves to illicit numerous long screeches/screams.
The Witch's Research
During Medusa's observation of the test of The Man-made Clown's capabilities, in its battle against Kirikou Rung and Kim Diehl, she decides to initiate another experiment. Crona, who had patiently been waiting behind Medusa until this point, is ordered to go and make preparations, which Crona obediently follows.
Later; while searching for Medusa's concealed location with Tsubaki, Black Star's senses alert him to the approaching sound of unstable footsteps, which are instantly recognizable as belonging to Crona. Confronting Crona's shadowy form reveals the emergence of wing-like structures from his/her shoulders and most notably a prominent third arm, which seemingly belongs to Ragnarok. After a remark from Black Star, Ragnarok's weapon form suddenly appears from and is clutched by the recent third arm, signaling the start of the real experiment.
Abyss, Uncleanliness, Darkness
The Man-made Clown appears and fuses with Crona, creating three Demon Swords wielded by Crona and Ragnarok. Black Star retorts that he too wields three swords - the other two being his hand and "ultimate man weapon". Black Star questions if Crona has that weapon as well (another reference to Crona's often questioned gender) and Ragnarok attempts to clarify by pulling up Crona's robe. After this, the battle finally begins. Black Star repeatedly asks Crona why he/she chose to leave Shibusen and betray Maka, but Crona replies that he/she doesn't even know who Maka is and begins to have an inner conflict regarding his/her motives for leaving Shibusen. During the battle, Crona is outmatched easily by Black Star - who even manages to damage the Black Blood with his punches alone. Medusa, who is observing the battle from afar, comments that she never expected Crona to defeat Black Star - but she at least expected him/her to last longer. Justin Law appears with the Clown and confronts Medusa, at which point she orders Mizune and Eruka to retrieve Crona and retreat.
Thanks to the continued efforts of both Eruka and Mizune, Crona eventually manages to escape from the rampant Black Star, landing in a distant location with thoughts questioning over the existence of Maka still running through his/her head.
What The Soul Dictates
Crona & Ragnarok aren't seen until after the DWMA rescues Kid and is in Moscow on a new mission: To make the black blood even stronger by defeating a Death Scythe. The two soon come across the Magic Cannonball & Russian Death Scythe,Tsar Pushka along with his meister,Feodor & Crona immediately go into his/her Madness Fusion form to start the experiment. Starting the fight with Bloody Needle, Tsar stands his ground while Feodor runs straight towards Crona as he dashes through the Bloody Needle with ease before attacking Crona with his Command Crossack. After Crona recovers, Tsar attacks by launching his head (while it's in his partial weapon form) at him/her, but Crona protects himself/herself by using Bloody Coat. After Crona cuts his/her left wrist, Tsar is surprised that the black blood is beginning to emanate the same wavelength as the Kishin before the Demon Swordsman says his/her signature battle quote, My Blood is Black as the chapter ends.
Mad BloodAfter Crona says his/her famous battle quote, Feodor & Tsar begins their assault with Feodor using his Command Crossack again to knock Crona to the ground. Ragnarok states that even though Feodor's attacks are light, his martial art skills are on the same level as Black Star. Before Crona can even stand back up, Tsar uses On Your Mark...Ypa!! to send Crona flying straight into a wall & both him/her & Ragnarok are shocked to find out that Tsar possess a Anti-Demon Wavelength just like Maka, which is also the reason why Medusa wanted Crona to start the experiment with him first. Meanwhile in Death City, Maka notices Soul clutching his chest in pain while Soul is puzzled as to why the wound he got from Crona back from their first fight is aching all of a sudden. Back in Moscow, Crona resumes attacking by using his/her Bloody Lance,but Feodor uses Tsar(in his complete weapon form) to stop the attack completely & quickly dodges the Bloody Needle, but ultimately fails since the Bloody Needles now have the ability to change direction. In a final attempt to take down Crona, Feodor & Tsar uses Anti-Demon Wavelength - Full Power,but Crona mocks them by saying that a light like that would never hit a pitch black person like him/her before he/she suddenly remembers a memory of Maka smiling. After saying that a black demon like him/her can only taint things jet-black, Crona initiates the next stage of the black blood:Mad Blood & with a disturbing smile, he/she states that My blood is black one last time, indicating that Crona has emerged as the winner of the fight.
A Simple Way to Kill SomeoneCrona is back from his/her mission, confused between epiphanies of his/her past, gets more confused when Medusa serves him/her dinner, remembering his/her periods of starvation as punishments Medusa did to him/her, but his/her confusion drives him/her mad when Medusa hugs him/her motherly claiming pride for her child: Crona claims she is not his/her mother and stabs her, remembering another way to kill: stabs repeatedly to death, he/she them drives the final blow with an insane smile on her/his face, Medusa's last words claimed that as Crona threw away the only thing to support herself/himself on, the black blood is complete.
At the end of The Hunt, Marie tells Maka that Crona was added to the Shinigami's list, and that Spartoi is tasked with his/her execution.
Battle on the Moon
Crona is revealed to be hiding out in the place where he/she & Maka first met each other, the Santa Maria Novella Basilica church. She/He is seen mumbling to herself/himself, and it is revealed that s/he has been there for days. When Maka arrive at the church, she/he asked who she was. However, this was due to straightening out his/her memories. Crona said she/he want for her to say goodbye because she/he has no one left. Maka said that she came to bring her/him back and stop him/her from pursuing Asura. Crona reply that she/he can't come back because she/he just killed her/his mother, Medusa, the one person he/she had left. She/he is afraid that she/he do the same to her and the others. Before Maka tries giving Crona an answer, she/he went past her and busted the church's doors. After evading Black Star, Crona goes to the Moon to fulfill her/his mother's dying wish: devouring Asura and become a more powerful Kishin. She/he then flew off.
Crona lands on the moon and states that she/he will dye the moon black with his/her blood before flying into the moon's nose to find & devour Asura. Soon after Noah (Wrath) manages to capture Asura by using Brew to fuse with one of his ants, Crona suddenly appears behind Noah, possibly without him knowing, & prepares to use the Mad Blood to consume Asura.
The Dark Side of the Moon
After dissolving both Noah (Wrath) & Asura in twister of Mad Blood, Crona then absorbs only Asura & he/she says that he/she doesn't need Noah (Wrath) and Ragnarok immediately spits him back up. Now that Crona is becoming a Kishin by resonating to Asura, he/she plans to destroy the world with madness just like Medusa wanted him/her to.
Shortly after Maka notices that the Kishin’s wavelength has suddenly been suppressed & picks up on Crona's wavelength, he/she appears coming out of the moon's mouth. She calls out to him/her, but he/she didn't say a word to her as Ragnarok sends out a scream so powerful, that it actually distorts the moon's eyes to look similar to Ragnarok's while trying to send everyone that's on the moon into madness. After Free accidentally takes Kid & Stein away from the moon as he teleports everyone else back to Earth with his magic, leaving Maka, Black Star & Spirit on the moon, Crona finally talks to her; telling her that he/she can't go back anymore since his/her madness has grown so much that it's able to successfully resonate with the Kishin & that his/her black blood can't be stopped. Black Star is reluctant to attack Crona since they still consider Crona a friend, but Maka knows that not doing anything means that nothing will change. So with Black Star, Tsubaki & Soul helping her while her Dad promises not to interfere, Maka bravely states to Crona that she will strike him/her until the Crona they knew from the academy until Medusa took him/her away comes back. Crona doesn't say a word; he/she just gives a faint smile at this, signaling the start of their possibly last fight between them.In part 2,The fight begins as Crona immediately uses his Madness Fusion just before he blocks Maka's first strike after she races up to the Moon's mouth. After Crona's strike misses Maka, he/she gets kicked in the face repeatedly by her until he/she gets knocked to the ground. Crona then tries to stab Maka with The Uncleanliness, but misses again, telling her that she's the idiot since she knows that it's dangerous to come close to him/her with just a scythe. After making Maka vault over him/her by attacking her with The Abyss of Despair, Crona asks her if she can dodge his/her third blade, The Darkness, this time. But it quickly gets blocked by Black Star, who then kicks him/her a safe distance away from them. After he/she recovers, Crona tells Maka that he/she would have gotten her if she was alone. Maka tells Crona that the reason she's not alone is because she's weak, and tells him/her that he/she's not alone either. But Crona just replies by saying that he/she no longer needs anyone, and yells to Maka to he/she's not weak like her as he/she launches an powered-up Screech Alpha at them. Black Star stops the attack easily, but is a bit surprised when Crona manages to push him back a bit with just brute force. Maka then trips Crona & strikes him in the torso area, but he/she quickly recovers from it & knocks Maka to the edge of the cliff, and uses Bloody Lance to try and finish her before she can climb back until Black Star caught it with Shadow Star: First Form - Chain of Blackness & pulls it towards him in order to throw it right back at Crona, who manages to divert its part by blocking. Crona then sprouts two thorn-covered vines from his/her shoulders and uses then to pull on one of the moon's teeth causing it to fall on top of Maka and Black Star, but that fails since Black Star catches it before it could crush them and toss the two both off the moon. After that, Crona uses an attack similar to Medusa's Vector Arrow to attack them, and though they only got a scratch each after blocking most of the attacks, Crona seems delighted as he/she uses Rose Thorn Storm to get some distance between them. Soon, it’s revealed why Crona was happy when Maka and Black Star only got a scratch from his/her previous attack: Any living target that Crona's thorns scratches causes the soul wavelength of the target to be distorted, which is what happens when Maka and Black Star suddenly undergoes soul rejection with Soul and Tsubaki. Soul then tries to use his keyboard to cancel the madness of the black blood out, but he and Tsubaki suddenly gets snatched by Crona, who looks as if he/she is falling even further into the Kishin’s madness, and is confused as to why his keyboard can't make a sound. Though Black Star can still fight without Tsubaki, Crona shouts that he/she is relived as he/she launches another assault at the two while Spirit is steadily climbing up to where they're at.
In part 3,Black Star begin to try to get Soul & Tsubaki back by first using Soul Force on Crona,who blocks it by using multiple thorns as a shield before counter-attacking by turning them into multiple thorn arrows. Crona then turns his/her attention to Maka,who dodges most of them before Black Star protected her from a few arrows she couldn't avoid. He/She then manages to flip Black Star over before hanging him in the air by his feet with two more vines before attempting to kill Maka with a pillar of thorn arrows before Spirit arrived just in time to save Maka by blocking the attack. When Spirit takes Soul's place as Maka's weapon,Crona unleashes another wave of thorn arrows,but Maka immediately stops the attack in its tracks before charging at him/her. Crona quickly uses Thorn Defense to stop Maka's assault while he/she constantly questions them on how they are able to sync their soul wavelengths together. Soon,Crona's Thorn Defense is quickly destroyed when Maka uses Witch Hunter,then Demon Hunter afterwards in close succession,allowing Soul & Tsubaki to escape from Crona's grasp & change back into their human forms. When Spirit tells Crona that the reason they are able to resonate together is because of their bonds as parent & child,Crona begins to cry as he/she goes into a mental breakdown when four scarf-like appendages suddenly sprout out of Crona's back & wraps him inside as it turns into a massive ball. When the ball cracks open,part of Asura's face is seen as the chapter ends.
In part 4,Crona is seen in pitch-black darkness as he/she wonders if he/she was just replaced as Asura regains control & absorbs Crona. While battling Asura, Maka asked Soul if he can hear Crona's rhythm which Soul told her that he can't hear it even throw her perception.
- The katakana for Crona's name is actually the last 3 katakana for Ragnarok's name in reverse.
- Crona is known for his/her catchphrase "I don't know how to deal with [???]..."
- Crona's appearance bears a resemblance to the titular character in the manga Acony.
- Crona's appearance and many of his/her abilities are likely based on the character "Emine" in Atsushi's earlier series B. Ichi, and in turn most likely inspired the Deadmen from Deadman Wonderland, which was released 3 years after Soul Eater.
- Another one of Crona's catchphrases, when in his/her maddened state, is that of informing an opponent that his/her blood is black.
- Crona's personality is set to mirror Asura's before he became a Kishin, being overly scared of everyone, not knowing how to cope with fear, and believing that the only way to escape fear is through the attainment of great power.
- Black☆Star apparently assumes that Crona is a male. Asking Crona whether or not he/she had a "third sword" with uncertainty. However, although Ragnarok tries to reveal Crona's gender by pulling up his/her outfit, Crona prevents him from doing so, and the event is suddenly ignored.
- In Crona's past, his/her first opponent was The Little One, a small bunny that he/she was forced to kill. In the Anime, however, The Little One is censored into a small black dragon.
- In Chapter 87, it’s revealed that Crona's favorite dish is pasta, which Medusa makes for lunch after he/she returns from his/her missions.
- In the Anime, Crona's simple Soul (the disembodied and small version) appears to be pink in color. However, one could argue that the hue also appears a Witch Soul purple.
- In the English dub of the anime male pronouns are used to refer to Crona, but this does not mean Crona is male. The reason for this is because by default in the English language anything that is not given a gender is referred to using male pronouns until proven otherwise. Funimation admitted that they had to settle with this rule because they felt that "it" and "they" would have been insulting to Crona as a character. The same rule applies to the Yen Press translation of the manga.
- ↑ Soul Eater anime 3rd ending; Crona's name is spelled "Crona" in the background.
- ↑ Ito, Rika. BOKU or WATASHI: Variation in self-reference terms among Japanese children. INST. Retrieved on 2008-05-19.
- ↑ YenPlus+ February 2009