Prologue: Chapter 2
Yumiko Kobayashi(drama CD and anime)
Brittney M. Karbowski
Black★Star (ブラック★スター, Burakku★Sutā) is one of the main Meisters that the series follows. Black★Star is one of the survivors of the infamous Star Clan. His Demon Weapon partner is Tsubaki Nakatsukasa. He is a Shadow Weapon Meister (暗器職人 Anki Shokunin in Japanese) which is translated into Dark Arm Meister in the English dub. Currently, he is a Two-Star Meister and a member of the elite student unit Spartoi, and is one of the strongest meister's in the Death Weapon Meister Academy.
|“||I am the great Black★Star!||”|
—Black★Star, Episode 2
At the beginning of the series, Black★Star starts off as rather arrogant, loud immature and egotistic. Although he fights as an assassin, he prefers to forget the Way of Assassination by shouting and making his presence known, the reason being that he is a massive attention-seeker. He cannot stand having someone else get more attention than himself, and will proceed to beat down anyone more popular than him so he can be popular again. His loudness is often shown in his tendency to often shout when he speaks and his trademark cries of 'Ha Ha!' (ひゃっはあ! Hyahhaa! in Japanese).
His arrogance stems from the fact that he seems to exhibit a superiority complex. His delusion of 'starness' as he calls it (スター性 Sutaa Sei) is so great that he constantly gives out autographs that nobody wants, including when he signs Maka's forehead when she is recovering from a recent battle. According to Stein, Black★Star's soul is 'a terribly self-absorbed soul.' His catchphrase is 'I will be the man who will surpass God,' which he is actually trying to do according to Stein. Because of this, he shows tacit jealousy towards Death the Kid, who is revered as an actual god. When referring to himself, Black★Star uses an honorific (俺様 Ore-sama, literally translating to 'the great me') which shows he holds himself with high regard. He constantly refers to himself as 'BIG' and the other people around him as 'small.' His arrogance later develops into a constant hunger for power, up until the point that people suspect that he may choose the 'Path of the Demon.' His arrogance can also hinder him as he is short-tempered and uncooperative when it comes to team battles, as he always tries to take the lead when the most important thing is to cooperate with each other. He accuses the people around him for being sloppy instead of admitting that he is the one getting frustrated. His confidence stems from him being used to winning all the time, so consequently, losing prominent battles causes a great negative change in him, up until the point he loses his ability to use Soul Menace. His hubris does not allow him to take any insults on his abilities, such as when he disregards Nygus when she tells him that he is only human. He can be unobservant, and has a short attention-span, as he is shown not to remember their battle plans on the Lost Island mission. He hates being told what to do and thus mostly disobeys the Shibusen rules, often skipping classes and arriving late because of picking fights with people. He likes fighting as he sees it as a chance of proving every one that he is the best. Another thing is that he is incredibly tactless, and can sometimes be disrespectful, even insulting to his friends and even his superiors. He often has an informal way of speech and behavior, even towards people of a higher rank than him. He loves playing practical jokes and winding people up for the fun of it. He is also a big glutton, having a massive appetite. He seems to like manga, and is a fan of the fictional manga hero, Charisma Justice.
All of his methods of going about solving anything are generally headstrong and dependent on physical strength. From time to time, he will abandon Tsubaki if she tells him to hold back or run away, which ends him up in a worse situation. This might come from people mostly seeing him as a member of the Star Clan and judging him for their actions rather than his own. However, he does not hold grudges against Shibusen, the organization that had killed the Star Clan, saying that his father and mother had paid for their crimes, which shows a surprisingly mature side to Black★Star's personality. He does not like to dwell on the past, and is therefore, quick to forgive people. He tries to forget his heritage, but deep down, he is shown to be insecure about it.
Despite his rather large ego, there are more positive sides to his personality. Although it is hard to tell through his arrogance, he does genuinely care for his friends. He always arrives to his friends' aid if they are in danger, seeing himself as a protector of the people whom he classes as weaker than himself. It is shown in team battles, that he views the safety of his friends as a priority. However, he will also take his friends' wishes into account, and will step back and allow them to fight alone if they want to. He also has a determination that knows no bounds. He constantly trains to become stronger, and is dedicated on his goals, putting all of his effort in everything he does (this has its downsides, especially when Black★Star develops tunnel-vision on pursuing something that is wrong, being too stubborn to see the wrongness of his aims). He prefers to go his own way, which sometimes involves going against orders. Despite his determination, he always fails at tests of intellect regardless of the effort he spends in studying. He never forgives the people who hurts his friends (though Crona seems to be an exception), setting off immediately to get revenge in order to defend or restore respect to his friends. This combined with his recklessness and single-minded focus tends to results in him charging into dangerous situations.
He also has a very positive and upbeat temperament (although he has his short-tempered and cheeky side) often laughing and smiling even in the glummest of situations. His cheerful demeanor can sometimes act as a support to others when they are down. At times, Black★Star seems to be aware of this and outwardly hide any negative emotions. One example can be seen when Maka is in the infirmary after fighting with Arachne and the golem. Black★Star appears cheerful and amused by Maka's helplessness, even drawing and autographing her face. But when he eavesdrops on Nygus and Sid, he blows a hole in the wall just around the corner, revealing to viewers that he isn't as lighthearted as he had appeared to be. He is also very honorable, not wanting to take any credit that he does not deserve (an example of this is in chapter 2 when he turns down the souls of Al Capone's gang because he did not defeat them himself). Tsubaki also mentions that although he tries to hide it, Black★Star would never want to stand out for doing something bad. He detests the idea of betrayal or deception, up until the point he is angered when he realizes that the fact that he had killed Mifune is kept a secret from Angela. He also keeps on plowing forward through adversity, whilst others may decide to run away, showing his bravery, although his bravery may sometimes border on recklessness.
Mifune and Death the Kid are prominent figures in Black★Star's life, and they help him mature profoundly. Frustrated in his inability to defeat either of them, they both help him recognize the wrongs about the way he is approaching fighting. Mifune discusses whether he will choose to master the way of the warrior or the way of the demon, and Black Star realizes the immoralities and wrongs he is doing in many of his actions, realizing he has been unknowingly following the path of the demon for an extremely long time. From that point, he changes to following closer to the path of the warrior and becomes much kinder and generous to others.
However, he is still slightly immature. He can still be a little too informal and to people, and sometimes exhibits his usual headstrong and proud ways, but it does not go over a manageable level. His childish sense of humor still sometimes embarrasses people, especially Tsubaki.
In the anime, however, Black★Star states he will follow neither the path of the warrior or of the demon, but follow his own path. He remains arrogant and prideful, arrogantly claiming he will be the one to defeat Asura and that he won't need anyone else's help. However, he is still shown to be more caring towards others, as he does afterwards rescue Mifune, and vows to protect Maka as she tries to rescue Soul from Little Ogre's influence.
In the Last Chapter of the Book of Eibon, Black★Star switches gender, and his personality becomes more feminine. He becomes a rather clingy and attention-seeking young girl. He changes back to his male form rather quickly, showing that he is not that lustful, despite his attempts to sneak into the bathroom to peek on a naked Tsubaki (Which consequently causes him to start screaming at the sight of Tsubaki, which gives him away).
Black☆Star is a young boy of Japanese descent and is 14 to 15 years of age.  He has bright blue spiky hair, with the spikes sticking in out in the manner of a star-shape. He is rather short, not that much taller than Maka, but has a well-muscled build due to constant training. His eyes are green and when under the effects of madness, his eyes adopt star shaped pupils, which is seemingly a distinct trait of those belonging to the Clan of the Star. His main outfit is a sleeveless black shirt with a funnel-like collar, with white trousers that are black from the knee down and just a little short of being full length jeans. On the front of his collar, two short strips of grey material adorned with rivets stretch down fro, the top of the collar to the breast of his shirt. Black☆Star has similar strips wrapped around his neck in the form of a scarf, and around his waist in the form of a belt. Rivets can also be seen on his pockets and on the ends of his trousers. On his hand, he wears gray fingerless gloves with heavy wrist weights and has a band going across the back of each hand, adorned with a star. Black☆Star's footwear are basic black boots with white tips, with a star shape visible on the toe of each boot.
On his right shoulder is his star-shaped tattoo, showing his heritage as a member of the Star Clan which is just a shade lighter than his normal skin tone. In earlier concept art, this tattoo had a more complex design with black markings and a symbol in the center.
As of joining Spartoi, Black☆Star now wears blue pants with the hemline rolled a few inches above his ankles, with white shoes and a white belt that is similar to an obi. His feet are wrapped in bandages up to his ankles and his hands and arms are also wrapped in bandages up to the elbow. As per his previous attire, Black☆Star wears a sleeveless top. In this case, it is a custom, white, muscle shirt. Another new addition is a long white scarf, wrapped around his neck with the majority hanged loosely. He also has a fairly noticeable scar running across his tattoo on his right deltoids, numerous smaller scars scattered across his arms, and a faint scar-line running down his right eye—all of which were caused by Mifune during their last match. The spikes in his hair are a lot messier and not as star-shaped. Black☆Star has also grown in height, almost equaling his partner, Tsubaki.
His soul is bright blue, and has numerous spikes coming out of it in the manner of his hairstyle. When Resonating with Tsubaki, various black tattoos appear around it.
In the Chapter of Lust in Eibon's Book, he is transformed into a girl. His build becomes similar to Tsubaki's, although his attire is still the same, apart from the fact that his trousers turn from blue to white. His hair becomes slightly shorter and no longer spiky, taking on a more feminine look. He is also well-endowed (a fact that he does not hesitate to declare incredibly loudly to his friends).
Black☆Star comes from a long line of assassins known as the Star Clan (星族 Hoshizoku). The clan was known as a group of assassins who did anything for money. They victimized people in many areas, killing many innocent people, which made them infamous in various places. Due to their actions, the entire clan was exterminated by Shinigami thirteen years prior to the series. Black☆Star, who was still an infant at the time, was taken in by Shibusen, where he was raised by Sid Barett. He showed skill and talent in his abilities from a very young age, but was still ostracized by many, blaming him for everything that the Star Clan had done in the past. He and Maka apparently knew each other from childhood, and there is a possibility that they were friends from a young age, since in a flashback, Maka thought that Black☆Star was 'cool' and did not bear any malice over his heritage. Black☆Star bears no malice over the loss of his clan, because he understands that his parents led a wretched life and eventually paid the price for it.
Due to his ego, many people ignored him, and he constantly failed to collect any souls of Evil humans. On the day of the Shibusen entrance ceremony, he stood on top of the DWMA and declared his greatness to the new students below. At first, it seemed as if everyone ignored him and left, but then Black☆Star found Tsubaki applauding. Impressed that someone had noticed his greatness for the first time, the two introduced each other, and after finding out that Tsubaki was a Demon Weapon, they became partners.
Expert Combatant: Black☆Star is noted to be the fastest Shibusen student (with the exception of Kid, who purposely did not perform as well has he could so that he could get a perfect 8 seconds time), surpassing Kirikou. His agility and speed were almost to a superhuman level, as he was able to run 100 meters in less than six seconds, jump from tree to tree, and dodge multiple attacks with ease. Aside from his speed, Black☆Star is also incredibly strong and has great stamina; being able to endure punishing physical workouts such as five hundred one-handed press ups. Tsubaki also comments that he never gets ill. His strength, speed, agility, stamina, endurance and martial arts abilities cause him to be a force to be reckoned with even without Tsubaki present, one of his best physical feats are during the battle on the moon against Crona, Black☆Star showed enough physical strength to catch and push away one of the moon's teeth as it was dropped on him and Maka with some effort. His instincts in combat are so acute, that things like switching stances and attacking and defending are completely natural. Sid even goes as far to say that Black☆Star is a 'heaven-sent warrior.'
His endurance is also great, as he can keep on fighting without a drop in form despite suffering from serious injuries and wounds and continuing fights with powerful enemies despite great amounts of blood loss. His physical prowess grew even more as the series had progressed. Even Stein, the strongest person to ever graduate from Shibusen and a master of unarmed combat, had a hard time when sparring with Black☆Star, commenting that Black☆Star is outdoing him in terms of pure physical combat. With his martial arts, Black☆Star was also very adept at wielding Tsubaki's Weapon forms with great efficiency, and is flexible in battle, switching to different weapon forms for different styles of combat. In the manga, he was able to hold his own with Asura, who commented his abilities have surpassed human limitations.
Strong Soul Wavelength: Black☆Star is a practitioner of Soul Menace — an attack that Stein also uses. By resonating with one's own soul, one can drive their own Soul Wavelength directly into an opponent's body through a physical strike on them. Only people who have a strong wavelength and the ability to manipulate one's own wavelength, can use this move, and Black☆Star has both qualities. Although Black☆Star is not as proficient in using it like Stein, he has managed to create two of his own variations of Soul Menace: Planet Destruction Cannon and Finishing Strike: Black☆Star Big Wave. Stein once gives Black☆Star a pot of Soul Absorption Liquid, which drains his wavelength at one touch, in order to make his wavelength stronger. At first, Black☆Star can barely put his hand in it, but, when asked about it later on in the series, he replies that he became annoyed and drank it all. According to Stein, not even an average adult Meister would have lived if he or she did that.
His Soul Menace attacks get so strong, that even Stein cannot negate his Wavelength. His soul itself is stronger than average, and like his body, can take a lot of punishment. This is even farther eluded in that his soul as shown in resonance with Tsubaki early in the series is only slightly smaller than Maka's soul in resonance with Soul as a Death Scythe a good 50 chapters later. His Soul Wavelength is also powerful enough to blow away madness from the surrounding area. His soul is so strong that in the final battle with Asura, he even swallowed one of Vajra's energy blasts spitting it back out with no harm (albeit a bit of sickness) done to his body from performing such a feat.
Ninja Abilities: Black☆Star is originally an assassin, specializing in ninja tactics and stealth, but his arrogance often leads him to reveal his whereabouts, defeating the purpose his role as assassin. The few times he uses his ninja stealth is when he peeps on Tsubaki (which normally ends up with him yelling and showing his whereabouts upon seeing Tsubaki's nude body) when she is bathing, or when he finally takes the fight seriously. When he does use his ninja arts though, he is deadly, being able to erase every trace of his existence from the enemy's eyes, and striking them before they notice him. Likely due to his lack of a sixth sense — Soul Perception — Black☆Star has developed his natural five senses, most notably his sense of hearing, and has quick reflexes. He is able to recognize unstable footsteps from Crona and is able to hear the conversation between Sid and Nygus when they were talking about Stein's arrival. His strong soul and his lack of a sixth sense in turn makes him stronger against insanity as he cannot sense it as well as others.
Shadow Weapon: After Tsubaki absorbed her brother's soul, Black☆Star gains access to the Uncanny Sword. At first, the sheer power of the sword is far too high for Black☆Star to handle. However, through practice and making peace with the entity within the sword, Black☆Star gains access to its remarkable power. He demonstrates his new power in the face off against Mifune in their last battle. During the battle, Black☆Star uses the sword, granting him unprecedented power and speed, new powerful Weapon forms and the ability to use his own shadows as Weapons.
Madness: Black☆Star later acquires the ability to change his Wavelength to one of madness. This ability, loosely translated as 'Madness Release' (発狂 Hakkyou) increases his power, giving him almost superhuman strength, as he is able to lift up the Cyclops with one hand. His power over the Uncanny Sword also increases. In this form, his usual white and blue Spartoi uniform and scarf changes to black, his bandages are bisected with black lines and his pupils turn into large stars up until they almost completely block out the irises. Although this ability grants him great power, he has the possibility of slipping into insanity if he uses it for too long unless he forms a Chain Resonance with someone like Maka, who can use her courage and Anti-Demon Wavelength in order to act as a support to Black☆Star's sanity.
Although many people ignore him because of his annoying attitude and pride, people who are close to Black☆Star see him as a good reliable friend, albeit a little annoying at times. However, he is still quite well-known because of his talent and strength. He frequently picks fights with other students, even students older than him, however he (almost) never loses. He starts gaining the respect of the people of the DWMA as the series progresses, although his immaturity causes him to be treated as a class clown at times.
- Tsubaki's attitude is more reserved and quiet which makes her the complete opposite of Black☆Star. However, despite their different personalities, they are rather close, sharing a strong relationship. Black☆Star still brags to her about his abilities like he does with everyone else, and becomes impatient with her when she does not agree with him, up until the point he abandons her to fight on his own at one point. But despite these occasional setbacks, Black☆Star still genuinely cares for Tsubaki, and is very protective of her. As she is the only one who had not ignored Black☆Star and the only one who had accepted him as he is, she means a lot to him. He knows that she is a person that can be relied on, and also does not like to worry her. Although Black☆Star is not normally good at reading other people's emotions, he catches on easily to Tsubaki's, and always tries to cheer her up when she is upset, most notably when he offers her a hug after she defeats her brother. His arrogance is toned down a little when he is with her, and he acts more relaxed, showing that he can be more like himself around her. Tsubaki is also one of the few people that Black☆Star actually listens to, and he occasionally even follows her advice at times.
- While he does not express it directly, he appreciates Tsubaki fighting alongside him and helping him, and the two work well together in battle. He occasionally depends on her to sort out anything that he cannot, such as fights between him and his friends. Consequently, he is prepared to shoulder a great amount of responsibility in order to help her in any way. He decides to follow the 'Path of the Warrior' in order to fulfill Tsubaki's brother's unfulfilled dream, which results in Tsubaki being reduced to tears. Black☆Star also appreciates her support, and sees her as a light in the darkness of his heritage as a member of the Star Clan, and he comments that if he is the dark night sky, then she is the shining stars. At one point, he also calls her by the affectionate term, 'Tsubaki-chan. It is also possible that he has a crush on her, no matter how little, because he tends to treat Tsubaki better than most of his other female counter-parts.
- Black☆Star's father. He does not know White Star personally, he bears no grudges against this as he knows that his father had been a criminal, and he had paid the price. However, White Star and the Star Clan's history is shown to be a source of insecurity for Black☆Star, and because of his father's actions, he is often ostracized by people victimized by the Star Clan. At one point, Black☆Star unintentionally begins to follow in his father's footsteps, becoming hungry for power and on the brink of following the 'Path of the Demon.' However, he soon realizes that this is wrong, and starts following the 'Path of the Warrior,' and he finally comes to terms with his heritage as the Star Clan, leaving White Star's influence behind him.
- Not much is revealed about Black☆Star's mother. His opinion of her is the same as his father, that by being killed by the DWMA, she had paid for her crimes.
- Their personalities are rather similar, both being very headstrong and stubborn, thus, they get along very well and enjoy each other's company, with the two exchanging a high-five almost every time they meet. The two once even try to fight as Weapon and Meister, but end up failing miserably. Despite this, they still decide to be friends. Black☆Star understands Soul quite well, and of his desire to protect Maka, and he acts more serious when such a subject arises. He also trusts him in keeping secrets from others. As both of them mature, their friendship does so as well, and Black☆Star soon begins to respect Soul's cool-headedness and sound judgment. However, they also begin to slightly conflict, since their personalities are now more different, as Black☆Star does not agree with Soul in terms of keeping Mifune's death a secret to Angela. Black☆Star also admits that Soul, along with Maka, can be capable of things that even he cannot do.
- Despite having completely opposite personalities, Maka and Black☆Star are good friends. They apparently know each other from childhood, since they had grown up together in Death City. Black☆Star likes annoying Maka and has fun winding her up because of how serious and mature she is in stark contrast to his immature and joking personality, but he still cares for her deeply. He always will help her in battle when she's in trouble, although he often brags about it to her afterwards. He still respects Maka's wishes, and leaves her to fight alone if she wants to. Black☆Star still sees her as a friend, shown when he swears vengeance on Arachnophobia for hurting her and fights Masamune in hopes of helping her recover from her paralysis state. He also shows fury at Crona for betraying her. He understands Maka well, and has faith in her, although he does not often show this.
- Although they are close friends, they do have their share of fights and arguments, since their personalities are completely different. There is an especially tense moment between them when they are training to achieve a Chain Resonance. Black☆Star begins insulting Maka, calling her an idiot and weak, and blaming their inability to achieve a Chain Resonance on her. Maka loses her temper with him and the two end up getting into an argument, which ends with Maka punching Black☆Star and running off, in tears. Black☆Star recognizes he was being a jerk, however, and says he deserves Tsubaki's punch after Tsubaki punches him when Maka leaves. Tsubaki goes to talk to Maka, and reminds her that despite their different personalities and that she might get annoyed with Black☆Star, deep down they have always been good friends. After being reminded of this, Maka decides to accept Black☆Star the way he is despite their differences, which thus allows them to finally create Chain Resonance successfully.
- After, when they successfully achieve Chain Resonance, Maka asks Black☆Star to punch her since she had punched him back when they had been arguing. Black☆Star grins and says that he would not hold back. In the end, Black☆Star's punch sends her several feet backwards and into a dumpster. Despite being in pain, with a large bruise on her face, she smiles and the two make up.
- Black☆Star also respects Maka for her abilities, saying that she and Soul are capable of things that even he cannot do. He also envies her ability of Soul Perception. During the fight with Crona on the moon, he deflects numerous attacks for her and defends her from the kishin's attacks as well, most notably when he kicked Asura after Asura had stabbed Maka's shoulder with Vajra, gravely injuring his left arm in the process.
- Maka and Black☆Star seem to spend a lot of time bonding and enjoy each other's company, for the most part. In the anime, Maka goes to see Black☆Star in the hospital after Kid hurts him in their fight to ensure he is all right, and Black☆Star always does the same for Maka whenever she gets hurt. They also go on a lot of missions together whereas Kid often goes on missions on his own, and Black☆Star is usually respectful of Maka's decisions as the leader of their team. Overall, they have somewhat of an older sister and younger brother relationship - they can get frustrated with each other easily because of Maka's maturity compared to Black☆Star's immaturity, but they also care deeply for one another's safety and will always support each other.
- Black☆Star, at first, does not like Kid that much. Since Black☆Star's aim is to surpass the gods, Kid is a rival to him as he is a Grim Reaper, a God of Death. He often challenges Kid and picks fights with him in order to beat him. Their two conflicting personalities also causes them to argue at times. However, mostly, they still get along reasonably well, and make a good team in battle. However, his jealousy of Kid's god-like abilities soon consumes him, which causes Black☆Star to goad him into fighting him, with Kid winning quite easily because of the unstable state of mind of Black☆Star. After that battle, Black☆Star then starts to respect Kid a lot more as he begins to understand what he wants to do. He also respects him as Kid was the only one who took Black☆Star seriously and did not look down on him when he claimed to everyone that he will surpass the gods. He is grateful to Kid for helping him open his eyes to everything, and in return, he saves Kid from the insanity inside the Book of Eibon and vows to become stronger in order to help him maintain peace and balance in the world. Kid even stated that right now Black☆Star is the strongest in Shibusen and that he'll surpass him again. Black☆Star is now good friends with Kid, with all signs of rivalry and hostility gone between them. Although their personalities are still rather different, they get along quite well, sometimes even engaging in friendly banter.
- Patti and Black☆Star seem to be good friends, both loving to joke around and play pranks on people. They often joke around together along with Kirikou and once, the two team up to ruin Liz's attempts to get a date, with the two bursting out laughing at the end. As Patti's skills in hand-to-hand combat becomes apparent to everyone, however, Black☆Star seems to treat himself as her senior, implying that Patti does not know how tough the world can really be. However, he respects her skills and her dedication as Kid's partner.
- Kirikou is Black☆Star's friend and occasional rival when it comes to sporting events at the DWMA. Both of them being rather laid back, cheerful and headstrong, they get along well, often joking around together. Although they squabble from time to time, in the end they are quite good friends and are willing to help each other out when the other needs help. Black☆Star is also not afraid to accept help from Kirikou, although he does so with slight reluctance due to his pride. It also should be noted that Kirikou is the only person who refers to Black☆Star by anything other than his full name, giving him the nickname "Swa-Star".
- Black☆Star at first, thinks Hiro as nothing more than a living training dummy for his fighting skills, not really caring whether he gets injured or not. When Hiro acquires Excalibur however, Black☆Star is angered by the Meister's arrogance and attempts to put him in his place, although he is subsequently beaten by him. However, after Hiro returns Excalibur, the two seem to have improved their relationship, as Black☆Star is seen actually talking to him rather than using him as a training dummy.
- Black☆Star sees Stein as a rival, since he is the strongest Meister to graduate from Shibusen. He one time snuck into Stein's house to get answers to a test and got beat up. But still he is in a positive mood after that. He leaps at the chance to fight him, and does not show him that much respect, often calling him names and being rather foul-mouthed and bad-tempered around him. Deep down however, he still follows and respects Stein as a teacher and superior. When Black☆Star matures more, he starts to show Stein more respect, and starts to call him 'Professor' for the first time. He looks up to Stein more as a teacher and even admits how he surpasses him in terms of Soul Menace capabilities. They become sparring partners after the defeat of Arachne as they are both rather equal in terms of combat skills.
- Sid is the person who adopts and raises Black☆Star after the Star Clan is wiped out. Although Black☆Star is still bad-tempered and defiant around him, especially when Sid first becomes a zombie, it is shown, mainly through flashbacks, that the two do share a strong father-son or student-mentor relationship. Black☆Star also treats Sid as his equal, not as someone below him.
- Although most students respect Shinigami, Black☆Star is the exception. His joking behavior and sense of humor is still present, even when around him, which often earns him a chop to the head from the Grim Reaper. He also refers to Shinigami informally as 'Boss' (旦那 Danna in Japanese). However, Like Kid, he has also shown during the Main Cast's fight with Asura that he does harbor immense respect for him and has no problem fighting for Shibusen's cause.
- Anya also tended to fight Black Star on a regular basis, their fights usually resulting with the DWMA building's symmetry being ruined.
- Mifune plays a prominent role in Black☆Star's life, being one of the people who help him grow past his arrogant thirst of power. Black☆Star is hostile to Mifune at the start of the series, as he has defeated him in battle and once angers him by calling him a 'small kid,' something that he hates to be called. However, a part of him does respect him for his strength and righteousness, and the fact that his wisdom had helped him grow stronger. At the third and final fight to the death between him and Mifune, Black☆Star is no longer dismissive and hostile towards him, and instead calmly accepts and respects him as a fellow opponent, in which he will overcome in order to master the way of the warrior. The fight ends with Black☆Star ultimately killing Mifune. He swears to him that he will become a Warrior God, and this, along with his desire to assist Kid, fuels his drive to become stronger. Even after death, Mifune bears a strong presence over Black☆Star, up until the point that he adopts some of his Infinite One-Sword Style in his attacks, as if in homage to him. Black☆Star acknowledges that Mifune was a good man at heart, and has a strong feeling of regret for his death. Black☆Star is also openly sad about Mifune's end, being angered when Kid states that people do not need to feel feelings towards overcome opponents. In the anime, however, he does not kill him, and instead offers him a chance to work at the DWMA as a teacher.
- Sanjuro Nakatsukasa
- Black☆Star immediately befriends Tsubaki's father when he visits the home of the Nakatsukasa Clan in Japan, and they share almost a father-son relationship. Black☆Star acts more like himself around Sanjuro like he does with Tsubaki, and is not afraid to tell him of his raw determination to grow stronger, even if that means walking the 'Path of the Demon.'
- The Will of Nakatsukasa
- At first, Black☆Star dislikes the Will of Nakatsukasa as he does not let him use his power, calling him 'Stupid Deer' once, but at the same time he is startled at his statement that he is like a demon. There may be a part of him that is slightly afraid of the Will. Although rebellious of him at first, he soon realizes the truth in the Will's teachings and decides to follow the Path of the Warrior, leading to the Will finally accepting him and the two begin to work side by side. Black☆Star probably now has more respect for the entity dwelling in the Uncanny Sword.
- Angela was supposed to be Black☆Star's intended target in order to acquire a Witch Soul. However, after finding that Angela is a defenseless child, he lets her live. Although Black☆Star is slightly annoyed by Angela's tendency to be a bit violent at times, the two share a brother-sister like relationship when Angela is accepted into the DWMA.
- When Crona joins Shibusen, Black☆Star immediately treats him/her like a good friend, promising to come to his/her aid if anyone is bullying him/her. However, even he admits that Crona is almost always depressing. When Crona betrays Shibusen, Black☆Star grows furious of him/her, as he/she had betrayed Maka, but still sees him/her as a friend, as he tries to get Crona to trust him. Black☆Star also shows a form of sympathy towards Crona as he comes to the realization that Crona has begun to lose his mind, and forgotten everything that has happened at the DWMA.
- Black☆Star, uniquely, is the first person to directly ask Crona what gender he/she is in his own inappropriate way. Supposedly, Black☆Star assumes that Crona is a boy.
- Black☆Star is at first, excited at the prospects of wielding Excalibur, after hearing that the people who had wielded him had become heroes, even kings. However, he is quickly disgusted by Excalibur's intolerantly arrogant behavior and annoying mannerisms. He is often disgusted even at the mention of him, and is notably the person most annoyed whenever he meets Excalibur.
Part in the Story
Black☆Star first appears with Tsubaki on a mission to take down Alcapone and his men. Although she reminds him of the Way of Assassination, he ends up giving himself away by making a big entrance right in the middle of the villains' banquet, using her in Weapon form like a microphone, much to the Weapon's chagrin. Alcapone's men do not hesitate to attack them, and the two are forced to retreat using Tsubaki's Smoke bomb Mode.
Tsubaki is saddened by their failure, saying that they had not been able to acquire a single soul as of yet, but Black☆Star remains ecstatic, claiming that he was as 'big as usual' and made a great stage performance. The two contact Shinigami and she tells him of their failed mission. He wonders on why they are failing so much even when they are quite skilled. Black☆Star interrupts and promises to turn Tsubaki into a Death Scythe, and offers him his autograph as a current substitute, which earns him a chop to the head by Shinigami.
Shinigami then tells them that although he would like to watch over them all the time, things have become problematic recently because Alcapone and his men have begun to go after a Witch Soul of the Witch Angela Leon. He also tells them that she has an incredibly strong bodyguard called Mifune and that his soul is more powerful than the average human's. His soul alone will count as ninety-nine souls. Realizing that Mifune's soul and Angela's Witch Soul would immediately turn Tsubaki into a Death Scythe, Black☆Star eagerly dashes off to face him, with her following behind, not waiting to listen to the rest of what Shinigami has to say about Witch.
Tsubaki however, stops Black☆Star and tells him that in their current state, it would be impossible to defeat Mifune and Angela. They would need to go through this mission properly; angered by her criticism, Black☆Star attempts to prove to her that he can easily follow the Way of Assassination, by sneaking up on Tsubaki whilst she is bathing at a waterfall. He manages to do it at first, but then ends up screaming when he sees her naked body, which causes an angry Tsubaki to throw a shuriken at him.
As the two make their way to Magic Castle Cinder where Angela and Mifune reside, Tsubaki asks Black☆Star if he has a plan. He confidently replies that the first thing he will do is make a big entrance, much to her despair. However, Black☆Star then swears to Tsubaki that he will make her into a Death Scythe, and she smiles and says that she knows he will. However, as they reach the castle, they see Al Capone's men killed, and they are attacked by Mifune. He asks them if they are after Angela. Black☆Star introduces himself to Mifune and declares a duel with him as he thinks he is quite strong. Mifune gives the two a chance to leave, but Black☆Star orders Tsubaki to change into Chain Scythe Mode. Noticing that he is a person from Shibusen, Mifune prepares to attack, engaging in his Infinite One-Sword Style. Mifune quickly proves to be more than a match for Black☆Star, as the Meister struggles against his swordsmanship. he says so to him, that his Weapon is the only thing protecting him, and that no matter how potent a Weapon is, if its Meister is not competent, it will be useless. He gives one last chance for Black☆Star to leave, saying that he does not like to kill a child. However, Black☆Star, angered at Mifune for calling him a child, proceeds to attack Mifune by throwing Tsubaki at him in Shuriken Mode, followed by Smoke bomb Mode, and then attempts to cut Mifune under cover of the smoke by grabbing one of his Katanas. However, his loud voice gives him away, and Mifune strikes him down. Tsubaki watches on, horrified, thinking Black☆Star is dead. However, the Meister gets up, and yells at Mifune for hitting him with the back of his blade, saying that only he can do those kind of moves. Mifune instead says he feels sorry for her, as she has to put up with him. He calls Black☆Star a 'small kid.' However, she defends Black☆Star, saying that he can succeed if he tries, despite being a bit of an idiot at times. Black☆Star, now furious at Mifune, accuses him for trying to stand out more than him, and declares that the main role will always be himself. Deciding to take the fight seriously, he successfully follows the Way of Assassination. By covering himself with Tsubaki's Smoke Bomb Mode, he uses Tsubaki's Dummy Star Mode to distract Mifune, before taking down Mifune with one hit using his Certain Kill: Black☆Star Big Wave. As Mifune is defeated, Black☆Star states that it obvious he lost to someone as great as him. He proceeds to interrogate Mifune on the whereabouts of Angela. Mifune refuses to say anything and Black☆Star is about to lose his patience when Angela herself arrives and begs the two to spare Mifune. Black☆Star is startled as Angela is only a small child, and that Mifune is defending her until she can fend for herself. Mifune tells Black☆Star that he can take his soul, but he would fight to the death for Angela. In the end, Black☆Star does not kill the two, repeating Mifune's words as he leaves, that he would not like to kill a child. Back at the DWMA, Black☆Star gives all of Alcapone and his men’s souls to Shinigami, who asks him why he is not taking them when the going is good. Black☆Star declares that someone as great as him has no need to take credit for someone else's work. He asks for Tsubaki's opinion and she happily agrees. Later however, Black☆Star is back to his old tricks again, peeping on Tsubaki in the school baths, which earns him a shuriken thrown into his head.
Black☆Star and Tsubaki try to sneak up on Soul and Maka as they enter the Death Room after all four of them had been called there by Shinigami. However, his loud voice gives him away again, to Tsubaki's dismay. The four meet up with Shinigami, who tells them that he is giving them extra lessons, much to the protest of Maka and Soul, since they all have collected no souls at all recently. Black☆Star does not seem to mind this much, laughing cheerfully. Shinigami thus gives them a mission in order to defeat Sid Barett, their missing former teacher who was rumored to have died and come back as a zombie terrorizing the other students (apparently the rumor is true) and trying to get them to experience the freedom from the fear of dying. He also says that there is also the person who turned Sid into a zombie to consider. Black☆Star eagerly accepts the mission. Shinigami then adds that if they fail this mission, they will be expelled. Everyone else is distraught about the threat of being expelled apart from Black☆Star, whom Tsubaki tries to get to take the mission seriously. The four decide to go to Hook Cemetery, where Sid's grave is. Black☆Star however, does not take anything seriously, and jokingly suggests that they urinate on Sid's grave, which Soul heartily agrees to. However, at that moment, Sid attacks Maka, but Soul manages to save her before she is harmed. Sid picks up his gravestone and begins using it as a weapon. He proves to be a formidable opponent, and Black☆Star ends up having to defend Maka at some points, and soon ends up taking a hard blow from Sid's Living End attack. Angered that he has been hit, Black☆Star manages to retaliate with a kick to Sid's solar plexus, which causes the teacher to be impressed at his skills. Maka and Soul try to engage in a Soul Resonance and use Witch-Hunt Slash on Sid, but end up failing and almost hit Black☆Star instead. As they try to hit Sid, the zombie buries itself underground, appearing only to attack and disappear again. Realizing that Sid is following the Way of the Assassination, Black☆Star deems that there can only be one assassin on the field: himself. He manages to use Trap☆Star to catch Sid, but ends up catching Maka and Soul in the process. The four then interrogate Sid as to who turned him into a zombie, and on his whereabouts. Black☆Star manages to coax Sid into saying that it was Franken Stein that had turned him into a zombie by flipping Tsubaki's skirt. Soul, determined not to lose, flips Maka's skirt as well, which amusingly provokes no reaction from Sid. Maka uses Maka Chop on the boys and Sid, which manages to have Sid tell him that Stein is in Patchwork lab, a place on the outskirts of Death City. The students, with Tsubaki holding Sid captive, go to the laboratory, and meet with Stein, who makes a rather bizarre entrance by falling out of the building on his chair. However, he proves to be an amazing fighter, being able to use Soul Perception in order to analyze his opponents beforehand, and he takes out Black☆Star easily whilst still seated on his chair. Maka and Soul proceed to attack, but Stein manages to disarm Maka and prepares to start dissecting her. However, Black☆Star manages to get him to let go by using his Certain Kill: Black☆Star Big Wave. But he is surprised as the attack does no effect to him. Stein explains that as he had seen Black☆Star's soul and Soul Wavelength, he had been able to change his own Wavelength to match Black☆Star's, therefore Resonating with him and making Black☆Star's Wavelength attack useless. He then attacks him with his own Wavelength, which causes him to lose consciousness in a pool of blood. His friends deem him to be dead, and Soul and Maka, the latter regaining her courage to fight Stein, manage to engage in a successful Witch-Hunt Slash. However, Stein still manages to defeat them. When it appears all is lost, Stein and Sid reveal that all of this is just a part of the extra lesson planned by Shinigami. Soul protests that he had still killed Black☆Star, but the Meister then regains consciousness. The next day, the four students are in class, when Stein, much to Soul and Maka's shock, appears and tells them that he is now their new teacher. Black☆Star merely makes a grumpy remark that Stein is standing out more than him.
The New Student and Soul Observation
There is constant talk concerning Shinigami's son, Death the Kid's enrollment in Shibusen. Black☆Star, being the person that he is, is angered that there is someone who is talked about more than he is. He then proceeds to go outside and wait for Kid to appear, along with Soul. Kid, however, is three hours late, as he had spent the entire morning making certain that everything is perfectly symmetrical before his departure. Black☆Star grows even more impatient at his late appearance. When Kid finally does arrive, he immediately begins to admire the supreme symmetry of the school building; however, he is quickly devastated when Black☆Star ruins the symmetry by standing on and breaking ones of the spikes protruding out the main skull structure of the entrance. This greatly angers Kid and he prepares to do battle with Black☆Star, who ends up dragging an unwilling Soul into the fight. During battle, Kid uses his partners, Liz and Patti with great dexterity and handles both Soul and Black☆Star with extreme ease. When Black☆Star expresses his frustration at Kid's long-range attacks, Kid decides to switch to close-range hand-to-hand combat, proving that he surpasses even Black☆Star in martial arts. The fight soon attracts the attention of the students inside the school; leading to Maka, Tsubaki and Stein having to go outside to watch the fight. Asking Maka to see if Death the Kid is Resonating with Liz and Patti, Maka sees that despite it being difficult to wield two Weapons, the three look up to each other, and thus achieve a perfect balance in Soul Wavelengths. On the other hand, Black☆Star and Soul's efforts to defeat Kid are futile against him Black☆Star and Soul decide to attempt to actually work together as a Weapon and Meister pairing. However, their Wavelengths do not match at all, and Black☆Star cannot lift Soul in Weapon form. Frustrated, he sends his own Wavelength into Soul, which harms the Demon Weapon. In a 'emotional' moment, Soul decides to break up with Black☆Star as partners, but Black☆Star declares that they are still best friends. The two friends hug, but their moment is interrupted as Kid - not being able to resist - shoots the two in the head. With new resolve, the two go against Death the Kid again. They almost manage to hit him, with Black☆Star managing to feint a kick and then grab Kid's leg to pin him down, which gives Soul an opportunity to slam into him in Weapon form. However, Kid still manages to dodge, and counter-attack the two. He then proceeds to use Death Cannon. Despite the situation looking grim, Black☆Star boasts that nothing will defeat him. Obviously, Kid's Death Cannon finishes both of them off. Kid, surprisingly, loses consciousness too for seemingly unknown reasons. It is then revealed by Maka that, when Soul attempted to slash at Kid, he cut some of Kid’s bangs, with Kid not noticing his broken symmetry until after the explosion. Soul and Black☆Star both agree that this was their 'win from behind.' Tsubaki then goes to Black☆Star and asks if he is alright, though, his only concern is if she saw him and how well he did. Black☆Star is later seen when Shinigami comes to take home.
Demon Sword Ragnarok
When Soul is hospitalized after being injured by Crona, Black☆Star immediately dashes into the Dispensary at Shibusen. He tries to shake the unconscious Soul awake, which leads to Maka giving him a Maka Chop. The group are then met by the disguised Medusa, who comforts Maka and tells her that she will get stronger.
As punishment for not gathering any souls, Black☆Star is tasked by Sid with cleaning up the entirety of the Shibusen library. However, instead of completing the task, he starts reading manga, and decides to skip Stein's lesson to go and read manga again in the Library. He then meets Death the Kid, who is looking for a book on Excalibur, a legendary sword known to be the strongest Demon Weapon in the world. It promises glory and victory to whoever wields it. Those who had wielded Excalibur had been known as heroes and even kings. Black☆Star, obviously, becomes deeply interested in the Weapon. When a passing Stein states that even he wasn't able to wield it, Black☆Star decides to abandon Library duty and go find Excalibur, along with Death the Kid, who is only interested in the sword's symmetry. They reach the Eternal Cave located in the north part of the British Isles, where Excalibur resides. Since it is at the top of a waterfall, their first obstacle is to climb a large cliff. Kid easily does so by riding on Beelzebub. Black☆Star is forced to climb it bare-handed. After Black☆Star climbs it, he soon reaches the cave and sees Kid hanging off of a rock. Kid begs Black☆Star to carry him, because he does not want to step in the mud. Eventually, Black☆Star gives in and piggy-backs Kid, deeming him as useless; Kid retorts that whilst Black☆Star can keep him from getting wet, he can use an umbrella to prevent the water dripping on him from below. Black☆Star repeats his statement that Kid is useless. While walking through the cave, they pass by a fairy. They inquire her about Excalibur. She instantly makes a disgusted face after she hears them say the name. Puzzled, the two soon reach the sword’s cavern and are impressed at the sight it. Kid is especially fascinated by its symmetrical beauty. However, Black☆Star, to his shock, manages to lift the sword easily, much to the Meister's joy. However, after putting it back, Kid also easily pulls the sword out, which annoys Black☆Star. However, the sword begins to speak and suddenly turns into his human form. Kid and Black☆Star are amazed at how ridiculous Excalibur’s 'human' form looks, if human it is. Excalibur quickly begins to ask the boys trivial questions, while at the same time not giving them time to respond. On top of that the arrogant manner in which Excalibur waves his cane around and how he always rambles on continuously about his own legend quickly angers Black☆Star. It is even revealed that the book of Excalibur which they had read had been written by Excalibur himself. Excalibur the gives them a large amount of sheets, delineating the one thousand requirements one must meet to wield him. After giving them the stack of papers, Excalibur finally declares them his Meisters. However, immediately after they hold him, the two put him back into the ground and leave in disgust, saying that it is no wonder that the people who have successfully wielded him have been known as heroes if they had been able to put up with his intolerable personality. The following day, Black☆Star and Kid meet each other whilst walking down the hallway of the DWMA with their partners. The two shake hands, agreeing that they both have good partners. Soul the joins the group and Black☆Star, content that Soul is better, greets him. Kid then notices that some of the other students are laughing at them. Maka then directs them to the classroom, where Excalibur has sent a pair of giant bouquets of roses to them, with the message 'I’ll always be waiting for you.'
When Tsubaki hears news of her brother, Masamune, from Shinigami, she takes on the mission to kill him, as Masamune, known as the Uncanny Sword has turned evil and has gone down the path of the Kishin. The pair go to the Village of Needles located in East Asia. Enthusiastic as usual, Black☆Star ends up accusing every single person he meets as Masamune. However, when a young boy called Ryoku notices Black☆Star's star-shaped tattoo on his shoulder, he realizes that he is a member of the Star Clan and angrily tells him to leave, throwing a coin at him, saying that the Star Clan will do anything for money. As the other villagers notices Black☆Star's heritage, the two are forced to leave and scout for Masamune from the treetops on the outskirts of the village. It starts to rain and Black☆Star begins to envy Maka and her Soul Perception ability, since he is forced to rely on his five senses, which are dulled by the rain. Black☆Star, noticing that Tsubaki is worried and puzzled over the villagers' reaction, finally decides to explain to her about his history. His family were members of the Star Clan, a group of killers who would do anything for money. The Village of Needles had probably been a victim of their bloodthirsty rampages. When Tsubaki asks what had happened to them now, Black☆Star replies that they were all killed by Shibusen thirteen years ago, and he, who had still been an infant at the time, was taken into Shibusen. Tsubaki asks if he holds any grudges against the DMWA, but Black☆Star says no, in that his father and mother paid for their crimes and that is that. Tsubaki expresses her sadness on how Black☆Star is accused of all the things the Clan did when he had not done anything. However, Black☆Star replies happily that he stood out a lot back in the village. Suddenly, they feel the presence of Masamune and return to the village. They see Ryoku again, now possessed by the Uncanny Sword. Tsubaki and Black☆Star prepare to fight. Tusbaki tells him that the Uncanny Sword possesses people and uses them to wield him in Weapon form, before devouring their souls after. If Black☆Star is able to send his Wavelength into the host, Masamune would be forced to let go. Black☆Star soon realizes how dangerous Masamune is as he is able to manipulate his host's shadow as well, turning it into a deadly weapon. Black☆Star ends up getting wounded several times, and Tsubaki accuses herself for using Black☆Star, getting him involved in her own family affairs. Black☆Star replies that as they are partners, Tsubaki can rely on him as much as she wants. He tries to use Speed☆Star, but ends up sliding on the wet surface of the ground caused by the rain, causing him to hit his crotch as he slides into a statue. Frustrated, he decides to take the battle into the air, preventing Masamune from using his shadow attacks. He then uses Shield☆Star to trap Ryoku before using his Certain Kill: Black☆Star Big Wave. Masamune lets go of Ryoku and Tsubaki goes on and ventures inside the Uncanny Sword's soul to do battle with him. In the physical world, she remains unconscious, so Black☆Star waits for her to come back. The rest of the villagers think that Black☆Star has hurt Ryoku, and begin beating him with sticks. However, Black☆Star simply ignores them, and he reminisces on how he had first met Tsubaki. When everyone had ignored his stage performance, Tsubaki had been the only one who had watched him right to the end. He declares now that it is her stage performance now and swears that he will wait until the end. When one of the villagers tries to hit her, he stops him and threatens to kill him. But soon, he is startled to see that Tsubaki's body is being sucked into the sword. He desperately calls for an encore to bring her back, and the sword eventually transforms back into Tsubaki, who apologizes for keeping him waiting. Black☆Star asks her if she is all right, and she replies that she is. However, sensing her sadness, Black☆Star offers her a hug, causing her to break down into tears and accept his offer. However, the villagers still begin to hit Black☆Star. Losing his temper, he kicks one of the villagers sky-high before running off with Tsubaki, saying that he has no interest for people living in the past and that he always carries on forward. Back at Shibusen, Black☆Star asks if Tsubaki will still be his partner even after defeating Masamune. Tsubaki replies happily with a yes. Glad, the two are congratulated by Shinigami, Stein, Maka, Soul, Death the Kid, Liz and Patti in the Death Room. Later, Black☆Star declares that Tsubaki has acquired Masamune's Uncanny Sword Mode. He tries wielding it but ends up passing out as the sword is too strong for him to wield.
The Soul That Persisted
Stein gives Black☆Star a jar filled with Soul Absorption Liquid with the incentive that, if Black☆Star can stick his entire hand in it, he will be able to use the Uncanny Sword without fainting. Black☆Star eagerly tries to use it, but ends up passing out as he tries to stick his hand in first time without taking it slowly. He is later at a party at Maka and Soul's flat, celebrating Soul leaving the Dispensary and Black☆Star and Tsubaki acquiring their first soul. Black☆Star's rather tactless comment on Maka's cooking angers her, but then she suddenly runs off after sensing two Witch Souls in Death City.
Black☆Star and Maka, with their respective partners are sent on a mission in London. On London Bridge, Black☆Star is slightly annoyed that he has to share his stage performance with Maka and Soul, since after the mission in Italy, the two cannot go on a mission alone for a while. He seems puzzled that Maka and Soul are hostile to each other. Black☆Star asks Maka to search for their target as he cannot use Soul Perception. Maka does so and notices a strange man, whose soul is mixed with Witch characteristics, as well as human and other components. Black☆Star declares a battle and tells Tsubaki to transform into her Uncanny Sword form. She does so, and the two perform a Soul Resonance. At first, Black☆Star appears to use the Uncanny Sword fairly well, using his shadow to block one of Free's ice attacks. However, he faints almost straight away, with Soul saying that he had not even lasted ten seconds. Black☆Star remains unconscious throughout the battle, leaving Maka and Soul to defeat Free. However, when Free, in a last ditch attempt, tries to pull Maka into the Thames, Black☆Star manages to cut Free's hand off with Tsubaki in Shuriken Mode.
Shibusen has issued an important written exam. Upon hearing that whoever scores the highest is said to make a Death Scythe, Black☆Star becomes greatly enthused and promises Tsubaki he will get first place.
Back at their apartment, Black☆Star's study habits are revealed: if he cannot solve a problem, he will punish himself by performing an arduous workout, such as doing one thousand sit-ups. Eventually, Black☆Star realizes he will never understand, so he invades Stein's house with the intention of stealing the answers for the upcoming exam. Unfortunately for Black☆Star, he is caught by Stein and is seen the next day hanging from the class board, battered and bloody, much to Tsubaki's dismay. During the exam, Soul, struggling in the exam, thinks that Black☆Star is writing the answers of the exam in his own blood. However, in the end, it is his own autograph, which frustrates Soul even further. In the end, Black☆Star fails the exam.
Foundation Day Eve
Black☆Star arrives to the party with Soul, Maka, and Tsubaki, dressed in a rather shoddy manner. After Shinigami's short speech, Kid begins his own speech, but is constantly interrupted by Black☆Star's obnoxiousness. It gets to the point where Kid kicks Black☆Star in the face and thus the two begin fighting, with Kid ending up in his depressed state for his ruined speech. Black☆Star spends the rest of the party eating a massive amount of food, which embarrasses Tsubaki.
Soon the party is ruined by Medusa, who reveals her identity and escapes, and Free traps everyone in his Spatial Magic: Independent Cube that separates everyone in the party from the rest of the world.
Sid returns from his mission just in time to perform his Compulsive Burial, sending Black☆Star and Tsubaki, along with Maka and Soul, Kid, Liz and Patti and Stein through the ground and away from the imprisonment. Once the group reach the bottom floor of Shibusen, Stein informs them of Medusa's goal that she is going to go and awaken Asura the Kishin sealed away at the bottom of the school. He says that he will go stop her, and says that they are free to follow him or leave; he will not judge them for their decisions, as the battle ahead will be dangerous. Black☆Star changes into his usual assassin's outfit and agrees to fight along with everyone else.
Eve's Fight To The Death
Proceeding through the underground of the DWMA on their way to stop the revival of Asura, they are interrupted by Spirit, who had managed to escape Free's Spatial Magic. Eventually, Medusa herself appears, with the intent of being a hindrance to the group whilst Eruka and Free go ahead to awake the Kishin. Stein informs the students of the plan to stop Medusa's group. He deduces that Crona would be also used as a hindrance, and tells Black☆Star to fight Crona as his Wavelength-based attacks will be able to damage her/him, whilst Maka and Kid will go after Free and Eruka. He tells the students to go on ahead, as he will fight Medusa with Spirit. Medusa uses her Vector Arrow to stop the students from advancing. However, Death the Kid manages to go through the attack and Black☆Star forces his way through by briefly using the Uncanny Sword, cutting through the arrows. They are soon followed by Maka. Black☆Star soon runs into Crona and Ragnarok and prepares to do battle with him/her. However, Maka, who had caught up along with Soul, stops him. Black☆Star is at first very annoyed at Maka walking in on his fight. However, seeing how determined Maka is to avenge Soul, he allows her to fight Crona, assuring her that he will come to help her whenever she is in trouble. He then uses Speed☆Star to get past Crona and goes on ahead. He later arrives just in time to get Kid to snap out of one of his depressions caused by the asymmetry of his ruined surroundings, mainly, by crashing into him. Black☆Star notices that Kid is battling Free, and thus proceeds to attack him. However, Kid realizes that Free, despite not attempting to dodge Kid's projectile attacks, is trying to avoid being hit by Black☆Star's physical attacks. Kid stops the fight and to Black☆Star's shock, walks through Free, proving that the Free standing before them is nothing more than a hologram produced through Free's magic. He reprimands Black☆Star, asking him why he had not noticed this, even when he had cut him with Tsubaki in Ninja Sword mode. Black☆Star laughs and declares that since he is so awesome, he would normally expect his strikes bearing no resistance towards an opponent. Kid then states that Tsubaki would have noticed such a thing, but the Weapon, embarrassed, answers that she too was preoccupied; thinking on how much Black☆Star had grown stronger. Dismayed by the fact that they have lost precious time, the two Meisters and their partners go on after Free and Eruka, who had reached the Kishin. Finally, the two reach them. Death the Kid tries to attack, but Free blocks him, leaving Eruka to go and inject the sealed Kishin with the Black Blood. Black☆Star goes on after the Witch, and Kid warns him that the Kishin's madness in the air will cause him to have illusions. Black☆Star, however, replies that he has a dull sixth sense, and thus will not feel the madness. Using Tsubaki's Uncanny Sword form, Black☆Star tries to strike Eruka, who retaliates with Tadpole Bombs. However, she drops the syringe containing the Black Blood. Black☆Star tries to get it, but Otama Jackson, Eruka's Familiar, passes it to her. Angered, Black☆Star kicks the Familiar and whilst Eruka is pushing the syringe into Asura, attacks her. At first, he seems to succeed in destroying the syringe. Exhausted through extended use of the Uncanny Sword, Black☆Star collapses, but is still happy now that the Kishin's revival is thwarted. However, to his shock, the Kishin begins to awaken. Kid states that in his determination to stop Eruka, Black☆Star had created a gap in his mental defenses for the madness to play an illusion on him. Thus, Black☆Star had actually not destroyed the syringe, only the shrine in front of him. Everyone watches in horror as Asura revives. Black☆Star orders Tsubaki to use her Uncanny Sword, but she refuses, saying that Black☆Star is in no state to fight any more. Outraged, Black☆Star fights by himself and uses Certain Kill: Black☆Star Big Wave on Asura. Because of the damage he had taken, his own Wavelength starts to harm him. However, he tries to keep on fighting, but Asura, with a mere swipe of the hand, defeats him in one blow. He then defeats Kid in the same way, before escaping to the surface.
Tsubaki tends to an unconscious Black☆Star after the Kishin escapes from Death City.
To change the mood after the Kishin's revival, Black☆Star, Soul, Death the Kid, Patti and Tsubaki decide to play basketball. Due to a shortage of one player (Liz) they force Maka into joining the game. Black☆Star even lets her be captain of his team, even though he obviously shows signs that he wants to be the captain. Soul brings up the idea of a bet, for each of the teams' respective captain to follow if they lose. If Kid's team loses, they will put the paintings on Kid's walls in his mansion off by 2 cm; if Maka's team loses, she has to go shopping with her father. Ultimately, Kid's team wins, and Maka has to go shopping with her father, much to the joy of Soul, Black☆Star and Patti.
Black☆Star is seen only briefly, when he joins Maka, Soul, Crona and Marie in the classroom. After seeing Maka and Marie in the corner, depressed after reading Crona's poem, he reads it for himself and becomes depressed, joining the two, followed quickly by Soul.
Black☆Star is seen with the rest of the students along with Nygus all visiting Maka in the Dispensary after she is paralyzed by Arachne's magic. Black☆Star cheerfully decides to sign her face, claiming that it will make her better. This obviously annoys Maka. Sid then appears and tells Nygus that he wants to talk to her. Sensing something is wrong; Black☆Star decides to eavesdrop on them.
He, along with Soul, overhears the conversation with between Sid and Nygus and finds out that they have found one of Arachnophobia's bases. Seeing that Arachnophobia is the person who had hurt Maka, Black☆Star angrily declares revenge on the organization and decides to tail Sid to the facility and avenge Maka. Soul says that he will go with him, but Black☆Star tells him to stay behind and look after Maka. Noticing Soul's frustration as he cannot fight on his own, Black☆Star apologizes, before going away. Black☆Star and Tsubaki successfully arrive at the facility and then starts attacking all of the guards, coincidentally helping Sid and Nygus as attention is drawn from them. Whilst fighting, Black☆Star sees Angela, in the company of Mosquito, come out of the facility. He then meets with Mifune again. With Angela's safety as Mifune's incentive, Mifune begins to do battle with Black☆Star. Black☆Star outraged that Mifune is working with Arachnophobia, attacks. The two begin to battle, with Mifune still proving to be more than a match for Black☆Star. After some time, Black☆Star activates the Uncanny Sword, using Shadow☆Star. Mifune, however, is able to deflect each and every one of Black☆Star's strikes. He then manages to defeat Black☆Star using his Addition attack to strike Black☆Star twelve times, then using his Multiplication move to make the strikes total twenty-four. Mifune, however, does not kill him, and instead tells Tsubaki to take him to safety. Tsubaki entreats Mifune, saying that a person with such a good heart such as him does not belong in an organization like Arachnophobia, and that the two had come here to avenge Maka, who had been hurt by Arachnophobia. Realizing the two's intentions, Mifune apologizes. Black☆Star gets back up, still trying to face Mifune, but Tsubaki stops him. Mosquito then orders Mifune to kill Black☆Star, using Angela as the galvanizer. Mifune is reluctant, but before he can strike them down, Mosquito is shot from afar by Sid and Azusa, whilst Nygus sets off the explosives they had planted, detonating the facility. With the interruption, Mifune stays his decision to kill them. Black☆Star tries to fight with him again, but Mifune tells him to take his time. He states that he has a good Weapon, and that in order for the Uncanny Sword to answer to Black☆Star's soul, he must first feel the presence of the entity residing in the Uncanny Sword. He then gives Black☆Star a candy to give to Maka, before leaving.
Back at Shibusen, Black☆Star briefly visits Maka and Soul in the Dispensary. Black☆Star asks Soul if he had told Maka anything about him following Sid, and Soul replies that he thought it would be better if she did not know. Maka, puzzled, asks them what they are talking about, thinking Black☆Star had come to play a prank on her again. However, Black☆Star gives Maka the candy, saying that it was some soft-hearted samurai, before leaving. He then complains to himself for being Mifune's messenger boy.
Black☆Star arrives late into the lesson, having recently beaten up a student in a fight. He had recently begun to engage in fights, winning up to ten matches in a row. However, Stein still tells Black☆Star that he is late, and tells him to stand outside. The minute he is outside, Black☆Star begins training, willing himself to become stronger. Meanwhile, to combat against Arachne's awakening, Stein starts the class by teaching the students about Chain Resonance. He then calls up Ox and Harvar, Maka and Soul, and Black☆Star from outside. He begins by explaining the importance of them matching their Wavelengths with others around them, aside from their partner. Stein then tells the students to attack him as a team. Harvar transforms into his Weapon form, Soul into his, and Black☆Star fights without a Weapon, mainly because Stein thinks that Black☆Star with Tsubaki would probably destroy the classroom. Black☆Star, eager for a fight, immediately attacks Stein, hurling insults at him. Ox then attempts to attack Stein, but instead accidentally attacks Black☆Star and subsequently shocks him with Harvar's electric abilities. Black☆Star shouts at him, whilst Ox replies that Black☆Star was the one who had gotten in the way of his attack. Maka tries attacking, but accidentally attacks Black☆Star, who shouts at her as well. Ox tries attacking again, this time shocking both Maka and Black☆Star. Black☆Star, angered, decides to beat Ox. Ox takes up the challenge, believing Black☆Star can never rival "The Skilled General Lightning King." The contradictory title only serves to anger Black☆Star more, who quickly knocks Ox out and sends him flying across the room. Maka states that this is Black☆Star's eleventh victory, but Black☆Star tells her not to include Ox in his tally.
Black☆Star and the other students are at a party organized by Death the Kid at his mansion. He and Patti eat a lot of food, and the two later play a prank on Liz, pretending to be her children in front of a man Liz is flirting with, ruining Liz's plan. The older Thompson sister chases the two around for a while.
Later Black☆Star greets Kid and Crona, the latter who is afraid of him due to his rather rough personality. He ends up being punched by Maka, who tell him not to be mean to Crona. Black☆Star protests that he is not being mean, and then tells Crona to tell him if there is anyone being mean to him/her, and he will beat them up for him/her.
After the party, Black☆Star and Tsubaki split up with the rest of the group. Black☆Star comments negatively on Kid's absence in his own party, before inviting Crona to his and Tsubaki's house next time.
The Corner of the Room
Black☆Star is with his friends, trying to convince Soul to play the piano for them. When Soul protests, Maka states that she likes his songs and Soul replies that that is because Maka has a low Musical IQ. Maka tells him not to make fun of her like of 'The Pon Pon Dance', which makes her a subject of Black☆Star's teasing. Crona, however, is quiet, and soon decides to leave the group. Maka is concerned for him/her, but Black☆Star points out that Crona is always like that.
Legend of the Holy Sword
Black☆Star approaches Hiro at Shibusen and asks him to be his training dummy as usual. He ends up grievously injuring Hiro, but walks off, not really caring. However, the next day, Hiro acquires Excalibur. Black☆Star and Tsubaki enter the school only to see Hiro defeating several students using Excalibur. Black☆Star, soon irritated by Excalibur's behavior, asks Hiro how he can stand Excalibur’s one thousand requirements. Hiro replies that he is happy to comply with Excalibur's demands, and instead asks Black☆Star how he cannot handle such easy tasks. Determined to beat him, Black☆Star declares a duel with Hiro and Excalibur with Tsubaki, along with Death the Kid, Kirikou and their partners. However, even though he attacks using the Uncanny Sword, Hiro easily defeats all three of them using Hiro the Atomic. Soon though, Hiro stops wielding Excalibur. Black☆Star, noticing that Hiro has begun to be pushed around as usual, asks him what had happened between him with Excalibur. Hiro replies with a disgusted face that he could not stand the Weapon's sneezing. Black☆Star is in wonder at Hiro's strange intolerance, and asks him where Excalibur is now. Hiro says that he had returned Excalibur to the Eternal Cave.
Black☆Star is seen in the gardens of Shibusen, with Tsubaki in her Uncanny Sword form. He tries to reach the second presence within Tsubaki. He then meets with the spirit of the Nakatsukasa Clan in the Uncanny Sword, taking on the form of a giant black and white deer. The Will of Nakatsukasa asks him why he is searching for power, and likens him to a demon. Before their conversation can continue, Liz calls Black☆Star and Tsubaki to join Stein, Death the Kid, Maka, Patti and Soul. Stein asks Black☆Star how he had progressed with his Soul Absorption Liquid he had give him some time ago. Black☆Star simply claims that he soon got bored with it and drank it all, which startles Stein, as he knows that even a healthy adult would die after doing such a thing. Black☆Star declares that he can do anything, since he will surpass God. Stein then and tells everyone that they need to achieve a Chain Resonance within their team. If they fail, then they will be excluded from his class. Everyone prepares to do a Chain Resonance. However, they keep on failing as Black☆Star's Wavelength always attempts to dominate everyone else. Maka, frustrated, begins to argue with Black☆Star, telling him to at least try and let them keep up. Black☆Star replies that he has no desire to try and slow down for people who just cannot keep up. This leads to a fight, and Stein decides to let them have a break, in which Maka goes to ask Stein to take Black☆Star out of their team. However, Stein refuses, and Black☆Star later accuses Maka for tattling to him, telling her that he is not the only one acting on his own wants. Maka, angered, tries to punch him, but Black☆Star easily throws her down. Maka tries again, this time Black☆Star lets her punch him. Black☆Star threatens her that even though his opponent is Maka, he will crush her if she declares a duel with him. Maka runs off, in tears. Tsubaki hits her Meister over the head, and Black☆Star apologizes, and leaves Tsubaki to comfort Maka. After Tsubaki manages to talk Maka round, the Meister returns and apologizes to Black☆Star. Black☆Star bears no malice and eagerly suggests they start training again. Their Chain Resonance then succeeds, and Stein makes Maka the leader of their team. After their lesson, Maka, much to the surprise of everyone, tells Black☆Star to punch her, in return for when she had punched him. Black☆Star grins and says that he will not hold back. In the end, he punches her straight into a dustbin a distance away, much to everyone's dismay. However, Maka smiles, despite being bruised.
Black☆Star, Kid, Maka, Ox, Kirikou, and Kim and their respective Weapons is the group of kids chosen for fighting to obtain Brew before Arachnophobia. The Demon Tool is located in a large magnetic field in the middle of the Lost Island, which is harmful to the human body if one is there for too long. The students' job is to prevent Arachnophobia forces from entering the field whilst Marie and Stein go inside. If they do not return after twenty minutes, they are to retreat. When Stein and Marie, the duo responsible for retrieving Brew in the vortex of Lost Island, take too long to reappear, the group begins to worry. Ox, Kirikou, and Kim decide to stay behind and take care of the forces opposing them. With that, Maka, Black☆Star, and Kid enter the vortex. The first thing they notice is Death and that the vortex is a sort of frozen time anomaly repeatedly showing the events that led to the explosion on the island.
Kid explains that what they see is Shinigami from the Grim Times, before he built Shibusen. The group then hurries to a temple. When they reach it, they notice a large mass of Witches--one of them being Arachne. The group proceeds and soon meet Marie and Stein. Because Marie and Stein are overstaying in the vortex, they are in danger of becoming a part of the time anomaly. Maka and the others tell them to retreat and decide that they will take on the mission of retrieving Brew. They eventually bump into Mosquito, carrying Brew. He then reverts to his Form from 100 years ago and prepares to battle them. Before the battle can start, though, a hologram of Eibon appears. Black☆Star decides not to waste time and attacks Mosquito, ignoring the presence of Eibon. Maka follows suit and, eventually, Kid brings himself to ignore Eibon and attacks Mosquito too. None of their attacks, however, are penetrating the tough hide of Mosquito. Mosquito then uses his immense strength to overpower the kids. Luckily, Soul comes up with the idea of Chain Resonance and augmenting it with his music. The group laugh as they hear he is going to play the piano in his soul. When Soul asks why they are laughing, Maka replies that they had finally got Soul to play the piano for them. Soul plays the piano, giving everyone a rush of power, enabling them to maneuver flawlessly around each other and link their attacks with ease. They are easily able to overcome Mosquito with both their speed and strength. Black☆Star activates the Uncanny Sword, being able to Resonate better with it due to Soul's piano, and performs Shadow☆Star: Gathering Cutter, deeply wounding Mosquito's arms. Kid then manages to connect a Death Cannon, which destroys both of Mosquito's arms. Before they can finish him off, Soul stops playing, advising them to leave as their time limit for staying in the vortex is almost up. Black☆Star angrily says that he is still going to fight, but he shows signs of fatigue after using the Uncanny Sword. Tsubaki suggests that he leave, and he eventually agrees. Since Mosquito can revert to an even younger form of himself, he can remain in the vortex for longer, and the group have no choice but to retreat without Brew. On their way out, they meet up with Kirikou and Ox, who help escort them out of the vortex. Kirikou realizes how exhausted Black☆Star is, and offers him a shoulder to lean on. They leave and watch how the Witch's research facility is destroyed by an explosion, though that, too, is a hologram from years past. When they exit the vortex they are greeted by a distraught Marie, who makes a move to strike them, but instead hugs them all for making it out safe (amusingly, she grabs Black☆Star by the neck, much to his inconvenience), but soon threatens that they will all have a talking with her back at Shibusen.
Black☆Star is in the Dispensary with Nygus on his check-up after the Brew fight. She tells Black☆Star not to use his Uncanny Sword, as his use of the Weapon is causing his soul to deteriorate to the point that any normal human would have died. Black☆Star proclaims that he will not die and says he is a person who will surpass God. Nygus tells him to stop saying foolish things and that he is a human. Black☆Star calls her annoying and tells her to shut up. Nygus had also made Tsubaki promise not to use the Uncanny Sword. Black☆Star tells her that he will continue to use the Uncanny Sword as it is necessary for him and leaves the room. When Black☆Star exits the room, Death the Kid, along with Liz and Patti, are seen waiting as well. Kid asks if there had been any lasting effects from being within the vortex of Lost Island for too long. Black☆Star replies that he is fine. Kid states that he finds it unnecessary for them to examine him, as he has a god's body. Upon hearing this, Black☆Star, jealous of his god-like abilities, jumps outside and breaks one of Shibusen's pillars, with the intent of galvanizing Kid into a duel. Kid, enraged at Black☆Star's actions agrees to this, with the intention of punishing Black☆Star for ruining the symmetry of the school. The two duel, with Sid, Nygus, Liz and Patti watching. Black☆Star fights intensively, creating an opening even in Death the Kid's defenses. However, when he tries to use Soul Menace, he cannot do so. Angered by this, he continues fighting, and soon starts to exhibit the qualities of madness seen in his father, White Star. Kid notices that something is not right and tells Black☆Star to stop fighting. However, Black☆Star then retorts that if that is what Kid wants, he should kill him, since he is a God of Death. Hearing this, Kid wordlessly defeats Black☆Star with extreme speed, using brutal powerful blows until Black☆Star is finally knocked out. Kid asks Black☆Star what had happened to him, and asks him if he is still the person who is going to surpass God. After, Black☆Star is training intensively. However, his madness is picked up by Joe Buttataki on the night he is murdered.
Black☆Star and Tsubaki leave Death City at night. Tsubaki apologizes for making such a selfish decision, but Black☆Star happily tells her that it is okay, since he had thought school boring anyway. Tsubaki suggests that they go to her family's house in Japan. Black☆Star agrees, mentioning that he and Maka are Japanese.
In Between Decision and Operation: Capture Baba Yaga's Castle
After arriving at Tsubaki's home in Japan, Tsubaki's father first sees Black☆Star and, despite his eccentricity, takes to the young Meister at once. Black☆Star takes it easy at first, but is soon back to training. He finds that his ability to use Soul Menace is slowly coming back. Tsubaki's father asks him why he wants to become strong. Black☆Star replies that he simply wants to stand out, and to achieve that, he will grow stronger. Tsubaki's father asks him if he is prepared to go down the 'Path of the Demon' to achieve his goal. Black☆Star angrily replies that he will seek power, even if it means going down the 'Path of the Demon.' However, he begins to have doubts about this when he finds Tsubaki worried about him. One night, Black☆Star is outside looking up at the sky. He thinks of his heritage as the Star Clan. He is approached by Tsubaki, and the two talk. Black☆Star tells her that as a member of the Star Clan, he is always in darkness. However, he describes Tsubaki as the bright stars whilst he is the dark sky. Tsubaki teases him, saying that he is not like himself, and Black☆Star, embarrassed, tells her that he just wants to thank her. He then asks her if she can take him to the Will of Nakatsukasa in the Uncanny Sword. Tsubaki complies, and Black☆Star proceeds to meet with the Will, intent on guiding Tsubaki. Black☆Star meets with the Will, determined to show him the power of his soul. The Will instead, shows him what it means to follow the 'Path of the Demon,' by forcing Black☆Star to see the images of the regretful souls of those who had fallen by the Uncanny Sword, including Masamune. The Will remarks that Black☆Star is trembling, and the Meister is in tears. However, he claims that these tears are not his own but of the ones who failed to master the ways of the warrior. He tells the deer that he does not want to lose, and proceeds to say that he will take on the burden of the regret of the ones who had fallen. He tells the Will that the path he walks is not the 'Path of the Demon' but the 'Path of the Warrior' who revives the dead. Convinced of his power, the Will agrees to help him, saying that their souls will go alongside him.
Operation: Capture Baba Yaga's Castle
Black☆Star arrives first in front of Sid's troops some distance away from Baba Yaga's Castle. However, he soon goes against orders and crashes through the forest, breaking through all of the castle's security and entering the castle's grounds, making a grand entrance. He is approached by three hundred soldiers of Arachnophobia's samurai division. Black☆Star prepares to attack, but Mifune jumps into the fray and tells everyone that he will fight Black☆Star alone. Mifune sees that Black☆Star has changed. He replies that his soul is now clear of indecision, and that he will overcome Mifune as he had been standing on the path that he had chosen to follow. The two agree that this is their last battle. With their newly achieved power over their Uncanny Sword, Black☆Star and Tsubaki perform Soul Resonance and activate a new Uncanny Sword form--Shadow☆Star: First Form - Chain of Blackness. With this new power Black☆Star is able to easily match Mifune's strength. After a while, Mifune performs his Infinite One-Sword Style. He then starts to beat Black☆Star with his moves such as Sword Fang. Seeing that the Chain of Blackness will not work against Mifune, Black☆Star changes it into a new form, Shadow☆Star: Third Form - Severed Shadow. This drastically improves Black☆Star's speed and allowed him to give Mifune several blows. However, Mifune is able to find a gap in his defenses, but Black☆Star manages to counter this by making Tsubaki turn into a replica of himself, engaging in Shadow☆Star: Fourth Form - Branched Darkness and performing Planet Destruction Cannon. The two still continue fighting, with Black☆Star using Severed Shadow again. However, Mifune manages to wound him using his Disorderly Line. Mifune asks Black☆Star why he is hesitating, and that he himself has now nothing to lose. Black☆Star retorts that he has no hesitation, and he engages in his most powerful form, Shadow☆Star: Zeroth Form - Masamune. He tells Mifune that he is ready to die following the 'Path of the Warrior.' Mifune asks him if he is ready to take on another responsibility as well. If he does not have anything to lose, he will not be able to defeat him. The two continue fighting, and although Black☆Star manages to wound Mifune, he himself gets grievously injured, with Mifune also breaking two of his fingers after the two lock swords. Mifune tells Black☆Star that he is not the only one who is prepared to die on the 'Path of the Warrior.' He asks if he is going to undermine his name as a warrior by showing indecisiveness to kill him. The Will of Nakatsukasa explains to Black☆Star that following the 'Path of the Warrior' means bearing misfortune and sadness onto others as well. Black☆Star replies by having Tsubaki make the Uncanny Sword the weight of a normal katana. He thanks her and proceeds for the last move. Mifune abandons all of his swords, save one, and the two clash, wounding each other with many strikes. During the last moments of the battle, Mifune makes a large cut through Black☆Star's right shoulder and arm, splitting Black☆Star's tattoo in half with a large scar. Black☆Star, unfazed by this, uses the opportunity to stab Mifune on his left side -- most likely through his heart. The last attack by Black☆Star is enough to conclude the battle and ultimately end Mifune's life. As he proceeds to collapse, Mifune catches him and gently lays him down, congratulating him. With the help of Tsubaki, Mifune proceeds to walk towards the castle, apologizing to Angela. Black☆Star watches as Mifune's soul is scattered into the wind. Heavily wounded, Nygus attends to Black☆Star, but then, Arachne starts spreading madness across the land. Black☆Star, however, is the only one in his area unaffected. Despite his wounds, he manages to stand up and 'blow' the madness away from his area and tell the others to strengthen their minds, before saying that the rest up to Soul and Maka. When Soul plays the Meditation of Souls on his piano to dispel the madness, Black☆Star laughs and calls it a stupid tune.
Tying Things Up and New Beginnings
Black☆Star, still recovering from injuries inflicted in the previous battle, is seen arguing with Soul in the Dispensary about them not revealing Mifune's death to Angela. Soul, however, calms him down and tells Black☆Star to grow up, saying that Angela is in a very dangerous state, as no one knows when she will start exhibiting the destructive nature of a Witch. Black☆Star subsequently calms down and tells Soul that he has grown up somewhat, as he thinks of Mifune.
Black☆Star and most of the other students are training at the DWMA, sparring with each other. Everyone is in awe at Patti's surprising strength as she beats Kim and several other opponents without a drop in form. Black☆Star decides to face her to give her a taste of how tough the real world can be. Everyone is still concerned as he is still recently recovering from the match with Mifune. He states that he is fine, but the students make a note of his remaining scars, and in particular the one intersecting the star tattoo on his shoulder. Kim states that she had attempted to use her magic to heal it but with little effect. Black☆Star unrepentantly states that little magic tricks cannot make this vanish. When Kim, outraged, starts arguing back, Black☆Star then replies that, 'I promised that man I would become a Warrior God...this isn't a mark I can go losing that easily.' His speech impresses everyone, especially the girls. Angela, who had recently joined Shibusen, asks him if he is going to fight. He confidently replies that he will show her how strong he is.
As soon as the match begins, however, he asks for a time-out and he turns his back to Patti and asks Tsubaki to tie his hands together, intending to make the match more interesting by have him not use his hands. Patti uses the opportunity to kick Black☆Star in between the legs, defeating him. Black☆Star states that it is not fair, but Nygus tells him that it had been him who had turned his back. Angela calls Black☆Star useless, as everyone states that Black☆Star still has not changed. Contradictory to his last statement, Black☆Star asks Kim to use her magic to heal his 'wound' much to the Witch's annoyance. After a while, Liz begins to worry about Kid, but Black☆Star reassures her on Kid's safety, saying that he believes in him. He then sees Sid come and talk to Nygus. Tsubaki asks him if he can hear them, and Black☆Star says that Marie and Stein have come back. Black☆Star is next observed having joined Spartoi.
I'm Going To Be An Angel
Black☆Star is seen furiously sparring with Stein. Stein observes how powerful his Wavelength is and how he is surpassing him in physical combat. However, Stein's ability to continuously use Soul Menace puts him at an advantage. As Black☆Star makes a note of his power and that he still cannot fire Wavelengths as fast as Stein, Stein replies that everything is based on practice and repetition. They continue sparring. The seriousness of their fight is enough for Ox, who is watching, to question if they are actually training.
Black☆Star is with Tsubaki, Liz, and Patti eating ice cream at Death City. Liz comments on how Maka appears to be slacking off after she had made Soul into a Death Scythe. Black☆Star points out that Liz is always slacking off. After finishing his ice cream, he reassures them that Maka will be back to normal soon.
The Witch's Research
Whilst Kirikou, Kim, Fire, Thunder, Liz and Patti are investigating Medusa's old laboratory, Black☆Star and Tsubaki are tasked with discovering her actual current location, something which greatly irritates Black☆Star. Tsubaki tries to explain that his advanced five senses make for the best counter against a Medusa's Soul Protect but he is unrelenting in his annoyance, claiming that the 'human radar' Maka should be here instead. However, he thinks Maka should be better off being here than him more for the reason that Crona might be here. Just as he says this, he detects the approaching sound of unstable footsteps, which are instantly recognizable as belonging to Crona. He quickly orders Tsubaki to transform into Severed Shadow, before meeting with Crona, having advanced in her madness once more. Black☆Star angrily asks her what is with her new look, saying that Maka would cry if she were to see him/her.
Abyss, Uncleanliness, Darkness
The Black Clown then appears and fuses with Crona — creating three Demon Swords wielded by Crona and Ragnarok. Black☆Star retorts that he too wields three swords — Severed Shadow, his own hand, and when Tsubaki questions the third he refers to 'the ultimate weapon every man has down there.' She is of course embarrassed. Black☆Star asks Crona if he/she in fact has 'four swords', which leads to Ragnarok asking if Black☆Star wants to check himself, pulling up Crona's skirt. Humiliated, Crona decides to attack using Scream Resonance and the battle begins. Crona shows his/her improved fighting ability, but Black☆Star easily dodges her attacks and then suddenly begins shouting, his voice loud enough to drown out Crona's screaming. He punches Crona, despite him hurting his fists because of the Black Blood, and demands an answer from Crona, asking him/her that she/he had betrayed Maka to get such a poor power. However, much to his surprise, Crona asks him who Maka is, and begins to have an inner conflict regarding his/her motives for leaving Shibusen. The conflict aggravates Crona and he/she begins attacking again, using Screech Delta to counter Black☆Star's Severed Shadow. Black☆Star then uses Shadow☆Star: Second Form - Leaf of the Moonlit Night, and using its power, manages to crack Crona's Black Blood armor. As Tsubaki entreats Crona again, he/she still only argues with him/herself. Black☆Star tells her that what is important now is not courage, or power, or even friends. What is important is for Crona to trust him. He calls Crona an idiot for not trusting him, the most trustworthy man in the world. Crona replies that he/she does not know how to deal with trustworthy men, and says that he/she will kill him. Soon, Mizune and Eruka, sent by Medusa, join in the fray, in order to give Crona a chance to escape. Black☆Star ends up fighting all of them, with relative ease.
Black☆Star is busy taking on the Mizune and Crona simultaneously. Eruka shouts at the three that their current goal is to take Crona and escape not continue fighting. She proposes to cover their escape by throwing numerous Tadpole Bombs. Black☆Star, of course, is not pleased and, once the smoke clears, sneaks up on Eruka and threatens to kill her. She fears for her life and attempts to escape, transforming into a frog. She does not travel far, though, before Black☆Star captures her. He wonders aloud if fried frog tastes like chicken, which causes Eruka to beg for mercy.
Black☆Star is sauntering through the hall with Tsubaki, declaring his arrival. Once they reach the door to the Death Room, Tsubaki notes that there is a sign telling them not to enter. This does not stop Black☆Star, though; as he kicks the door down while commenting that he can pass through any door.
The Former Ruler
Shinigami is speaking to the Risa and Arisa about Kid being locked up in the Book of Eibon. Before he can continue with his explanation, Black☆Star rudely interrupts by shoving Eruka in his face. This only serves to elicit a Shinigami Chop to Black☆Star.
- Black☆Star is chosen alongside Tsubaki, Kirikou, Fire, Thunder, Liz, Patti, Maka, Soul, and Blair to enter the manuscript of the Book of Eibon to rescue Death the Kid, who had been captured by Noah in the mission to capture Baba Yaga's Castle. Before entering the book, Black☆Star recalls his battle with Kid and remarks how Kid helped him open his eyes in their last duel, and he did not get the chance to thank him for it. With the help of Risa, Arisa, Eruka and Kim, they enter the manuscript of the Book of Eibon, which, thanks to the Witch's magic, is connected to the real Book that Kid is in. Upon entering the book, the team find themselves in the Introduction of the book. Here, they meet the Index, the entity in charge of keeping the Book of Eibon in order. The Index explains that Death the Kid is in the seventh Chapter of the book, and to reach him, they would have to traverse through all seven Chapters in the book, with each one having its own dangers. Black☆Star, along with the others, expresses his determination to save Kid, and informs the Index that they will not be turning back. The Index acknowledges their determination and sends them on to the first Chapter, Lust, where everyone has their genders switched, taking on the form of their idea of a perfect sexual partner. Black☆Star is transformed into a girl, who is well-endowed, which he does not hesitate to declare. He also adopts a female-like personality. As the Succubus appears, the 'male' members of the team (who are originally female) begin to be allured by the creature's sexual appeal. Black☆Star, now having the personality of a clingy attention-seeking young girl, clings to the male Tsubaki and asks her if she is not aroused, even with someone as great as him around. He rubs his chest against Tsubaki's shoulder, much to her embarrassment. Blair defeats the Succubus by making it fall for her in her male form, and the magic cat uses the opportunity to blast the creature away using her Halloween Cannon. As Blair states that they should be getting on to the next Chapter. As the team continue on to the next Chapter, Gluttony, everyone realizes that even though they had left the Lust Chapter, they are still in their opposite genders, although their personalities have returned to normal. The Index explains that they will change back to their original form after leaving the Lust Chapter, and that the speed of the transformation depends on the individual's sexual desire: the stronger the desire, the slower the transformation. Black☆Star and Patti, allured by all the food, begin to help themselves to the platters of food laid out in the Chapter, the team are confronted by a monstrous pig that is about to eat them. The team prepare to fight. Black☆Star comments that Tsubaki's Weapon form feels "Less elegant" in male form. After the pig states that its own flesh is of exceptional quality, Black☆Star, along with Kirikou and Patti, decide to eat the pig instead. Black☆Star slices off one of the pig's arms, and Kirikou fries it with Pot of Thunder, before taking a bite out of the roast meat. Black☆Star slices up the rest of the pig, and Kirikou fries the pieces again. He gorges on the meat alongside Kirikou and Patti. Before they can get drawn further into the sin of Gluttony, Soul has the Index move onto the next Chapter. Maka and Soul now get separated from the group and end up one Chapter behind, in the chapter of Envy. The rest of the group move on, and are next seen in the fourth Chapter, Wrath. Suffused with the color red, and wrought with lava, the area influences them and places them in an enraged and easily irritable mood. The chapter ends up aggravating everyone, making them all fly into a rage. Since Tsubaki is still in her male form whilst everyone from her and Liz have changed back, Black☆Star furiously calls her a pervert for no reason. However, everyone manages to calm down a little. Black☆Star takes a deep breath and wonders where Maka and Soul went. Everyone's anger (especially Black☆Star's) is further put to the test when Excalibur appears in the Chapter. Although Black☆Star, along with the others, laugh at the Weapon for being captured, they are soon annoyed by Excalibur, and are further aggravated when Excalibur prevents the Index from continuing to the next Chapter. Black☆Star and the others manage to distract Excalibur long enough for the team to move to the fifth Chapter, Pride. However, to everyone's despair, Excalibur follows them. Excalibur offers the team a chance to save Kid quicker by using him as a Weapon. Liz decides to wield him and manages to open a crack into space with Excalibur. Black☆Star watches on with the others. However, Liz's pride gets in the way, and she ends up throwing Excalibur out the Book of Eibon. Liz laments over her mistake, as Black☆Star and the others stare on, not really concerned about the mistake. Black☆Star is later seen with the others in the seventh Chapter, Greed. He watches Liz transform back into her female form just a little quicker than Tsubaki, and teases Tsubaki along with Kirikou and Patti because of this. Black☆Star casually states that it might be best to not sleep in the same room as Tsubaki anymore, and Kirikou becomes envious as Black☆Star is sharing a room with a girl. After reaching the end of Greed, everyone asks the Index to take them to where Kid is. The Index answers that he can only take them this far. The rest is up to them. He asks them what they are searching for and Black☆Star responds with 'Power- to fight my enemies, to protect my friends, and to save Kid.' A portal is then opened for him and only him to go. Everyone senses madness coming from the portal. Everyone worries for Black☆Star; he reassures them that he will bring Kid back, before jumping into the portal. After falling for a while, he meets Kid. Initially happy, he sees the look on Kid's face and realizes he must fight him like he fought Crona. The two start to descend underwater, although they can still breathe. Black☆Star comments that Kid does not look like he is breathing in the first place. However, Kid, under the influence of madness and determined to create a world of 'nothingness' that surpasses symmetry, instead states that Black☆Star is too big for the world he is making, and thus tells him that he needs to disappear. Black☆Star, to his surprise, tells him that he is relieved, reminding Kid how everyone used to ignore him when he declared to everyone that he would surpass God, except Kid himself, the God in question. He said it made him want to surpass God more than ever. Kid however, then expresses that Black☆Star's declaration is now nothing more than a nuisance. Black☆Star replies that he will still surpass God, and that he is the most powerful. Disgusted, Kid attacks. Black☆Star finds it hard to fight in the water, and instead uses Soul Menace. However, he reminds himself that he is there to bring Kid back, not fight him. However, the Black Mass suddenly appears and asks Black☆Star what power he desires. Black☆Star then starts to fall under the same madness as Kid, his pupils turning into stars. He then replies that he does not care what power is, he just does not want to lose. He concludes that power is power, and states that even if his opponent is a God, he will beat him. The two argue on, with Kid saying that Black☆Star's idea of power is simple, and Black☆Star likewise to Kid. Kid attacks him with Death God Martial Art - Stance of "Mad Crime". Angered when Kid says that he will feel nothing for anything, Black☆Star thinks of Mifune and asks Kid if he intends to not think about his fallen opponents, and will even erase Liz and Patti. He says that this is not the ultimate power, and says that it is only the mistake of an ultimate idiot. Kid retorts by asking him what he intends to do with his power, and Black☆Star simply says that he does not know and that he will think of it when he becomes the strongest. Black☆Star says that Kid is now just a regular god, and not a God of Death. He tells Kid that he can still act as a regular human being as well as a god, which is the thing that is most amazing about him. He reminds him how Kid did not kill him when he asked him to in their last duel, and only beat him up and let him live. He accuses Kid for turning his back on his ideas of symmetry, turning to nothingness because he cannot be bothered about it anymore. He reminds Kid that Shinigami told him that being a Grim Reaper is to govern life and death. He says that there is nothing ultimate about nothingness. Black☆Star then states that he has found out what power he desires. The Black Mass immediately appears to listen to his reply. Death the Kid, startled, then begins to realize his mistake. Returning to normal, he realizes that the ultimate 'order' is what a God of Death seeks, not the ultimate 'nothingness.' Kid thanks Black☆Star, and says that he owes him, but the Meister replies that friends are the same as Meister and Weapon, they support each other no matter what. Black☆Star then declares to the Black Mass that the power he seeks is the power to help Kid create the world of order that he wishes to create. The Black Mass warns them that order created through power will create the seven sins that Black☆Star had experienced in the Book. He warns them that 'justice' will turn into 'evil' when taken too far, and make people fall into madness. He says that was how Asura was created, because of Shinigami and the Eight Powerful Warriors. Black☆Star however, says that it is not everything about Kid and himself, there are his friends, and Maka and Soul, who can do much more than him. The Black Mass realizes their idea of a 'balance.' Deciding to try to understand them, he frees everyone from the Book of Eibon. When all the Spartoi members arrive in the real world, they come upon Noah's battlefield, with the Death Scythe Tezca Tlipoca dead, and Sid, Marie and Nygus all wounded. Noah's monster attacks them, but Black☆Star and Kid defeat it in one blow. Black☆Star and everyone prepares to do battle with Noah. Although Sid tells them to run away, Black☆Star tells them that this is Kid's battle, and tells them to watch over them. Both Kid and Black☆Star use Madness Release, relying on Maka and Soul to support their sanities through a Chain Resonance. They do battle with Noah's monsters, including the Horror Dragon. Black☆Star shows his new power by defeating one of Noah's monsters, The Cyclops, with ease, using Black Star ☆ Zeroth Form "Masamune" Initiation Technique - Infinity, an attack loosely based on, if not inspired by, Mifune's Infinite One-Sword Style. However, Kid finally manages to kill Noah using Parent's Seven Rays, but Gopher manages to escape with the Book of Eibon.
Black☆Star and Tsubaki along with Maka and Soul, travel to Shisceda Village to help the hunter of the village take down a sky whale in order to help the village prosper. Black☆Star uses Shadow Star Zeroth Form: Masamune and uses his black scarf to stretch very high into the air, and loudly proclaims that he now has rule over the sky. As they are searching for the whale, they hear a loud cry and the whale appears before them and Black☆Star comments on how big it is. Black☆Star suggests they hit the whale with a shot and force it to go down but Maka reminds him they can’t directly interfere with the hunt. Black☆Star wonders how something so big can fly, but then says he is the only big shot able to fly. As the whale spouts both Black☆Star and Maka notice that there is madness in the spout. As Maka and Soul attack the whale with sound waves, Black☆Star wonders what they are doing, since he is unable to hear it. As Heming spots the whale and fires the arrow, it pierces Black☆Stars scarf causing him to fall from the sky and land head first into the ground. As Heming proclaims that the village will prosper, Black☆Star tells him that it won't as he pulls himself out of the ground. He then looks on with a crazed look and a star in his right eye saying the village won't prosper because he will destroy it. He then proceeds to attack the village with Tsubaki trying to calm him down. As they arrive back at Shibusen, Black☆Star laughs about how easy the mission was while the others complain about how he attacked the village. They are then met by Marie who tells them the Crona was added to Shinigami's list and Spartoi has been ordered to execute him/her.
There is Someone To Admire
Later, Black☆Star and the other members of Spartoi gather at Maka and Soul's place to discuss the matter of Crona. As Kid arrives and explains how Crona's execution is inevitable Black☆Star becomes angered with him and grabs him by the shirt telling him to cut the boring talk.
While in Italy with Maka and the others on the other mission, he pointed out to everyone the mission isn't simply just to kill Crona, but to make their own decision to deal with the situation.
Dark Side of the Moon
Black Star fiercely attacks the Kishin as soon as he appeared and was immediately struck with a blow which looked almost fatal, only to be revealed as an illusion as Maka placed her hand on his shoulder, transmitting her anti-demon wavelength. After he recovered from the shock, he proceeds to fight Asura and ends up with Vajra caught in his mouth, although he spitted the laser right back out, making Asura give him the title of a Bushin. As the battle wore on, he expressed great shock as Maka gets impaled by Asura's arm. Thankfully that the black blood saved her life and as the kishin lash out at Maka, stabbing her shoulder with Vajra, Black Star jumps in and kicks him away. He injured his left arm as Asura slams him onto the surface of the moon. As Maka activates her Kishin Hunter, Black Star and Kid proceeds to pin Asura down to give Maka an opening.
Soul Eater Not!
As Tsugumi Harudori makes her way around Shibusen, she daydreams of having a handsome male partner. However, Black☆Star suddenly breaks her dream, as Tsugumi walks into the middle of a fight. Black☆Star punches a student, yelling that 'you won't achieve that for a hundred years!' Thinking that he is talking to her, Tsugumi frantically apologizes. Realizing that he had not seen Tsugumi before and deducing that she is a new student, he offers to give her his autograph, but Tsugumi, frightened, runs away.
In the Anime
The anime plotline diverges from the manga's storyline after the fight on Lost Island. Black☆Star and his friends are all back in the DWMA, all depressed about their defeat at Lost Island. Black☆Star seems to take the defeat to heart the most, showing signs of anger when Soul states that despite their attempts to look on the bright side, it does not change the fact that they have lost. He ponders on his previous defeats in battle with Asura, Mifune and with Mosquito. He thinks about Mifune the most, and for the first time, doubts if he is able to beat him. Tsubaki tries to comfort him, saying that she knows that he will be able to surpass the gods. He decides to goad Death the Kid into a fight by breaking one of the horns on the Shibusen school building. The fight is watched by Tsubaki, Maka, Sid, Nygus, Liz and Patti. During the fight, Kid starts to notice that there is something wrong with Black☆Star, as he starts being unable to use Soul Menace due to his recent doubts. Frustrated, Black☆Star starts showing signs of madness similar to his father White Star. Realizing this, Kid finishes the fight quickly, by beating down Black☆Star violently with blows to the head. As he lies unconscious, Kid asks him what has happened to him and asks him if he is still aiming to surpass the gods. As Maka and Soul visit Black☆Star later on to see how he is doing, they see him intensively training and decide to leave him alone. Black☆Star returns to his old self quite soon, and is next seen enjoying a picnic with Maka, Soul, Tsubaki, Kid, Liz, Patti, Crona and Ragnarok. However, after Crona's cover is blown, Medusa arrives at Shibusen and makes a deal with them, exchanging her freedom with information on Arachne's whereabouts. As Maka expresses frustration on the Witch going free, Black☆Star assures her that he will beat down Medusa and when that time comes, he will let Maka have a share of the fight as well. Soon, Arachne uses Asura's Insanity Wavelength to start to plunge the entire world into madness. The sky is filled with red clouds, and many people take shelter inside. Black☆Star however, is outside with Tsubaki. As Tsubaki comments on the lack of people, Black☆Star expresses his disdain for the people afraid to come out because of the madness. He soon meets Soul, and the two exchange a high-five, still optimistic despite of the madness. Tsubaki asks him where Maka is, and Soul replies that she is at home, depressed about the recent situation. Black☆Star and Tsubaki go to her to invite her to a game of basketball. Soul states that the first person to score a basket will be the one to defeat the Kishin, which immediately awakes Black☆Star's competitive side. With everyone's encouragement, Maka joins in the game, and manages to score the basket. Black☆Star declares that Maka had only scored the basket because the ball ricocheted off his head, meaning that he will be the one who will defeat the Kishin. However, they are soon met by Death the Kid, Liz and Patti, who inform them that Medusa had gained her freedom by bargaining with Shinigami. The time finally comes for them to attack Arachne's castle. Black☆Star expresses determination as usual, although Maka is still troubled as to what she wants to do. Soul finally convinces her to go the way she wants to, which is to help Crona, Marie and Stein. Maka apologizes to Black☆Star for leaving and Soul entrusts the invasion of Arachnophobia to him. Black☆Star grins and states that although she may be breaking the rules, Maka is still a top student. He and Tsubaki plough through the forces of Arachnophobia with ease, arriving at the castle grounds, where Mifune is waiting for them. Agreeing that this will be their last battle, the two battle, Mifune at first easily shows that he has the upper hand, as Black☆Star, frustrated once more, shows the same madness as White Star in his eyes. Mifune recognizes those eyes, and explains to Black☆Star how he knew his father. After trying to stop him from falling onto the 'Path of the Demon,' he was eventually forced to kill him. Black☆Star instead retorts that his father was weak, which was why he fell. Deeming Black☆Star as doomed to follow in his father's footsteps, Mifune strikes him down. Black☆Star wakes to meet with the spirit of the Nakatsukasa Clan deep in the depths of his soul. The spirit tells Black☆Star that he has lost, and shows him images of those who have fallen under the Uncanny Sword, showing him what the 'Path of the Demon' is like. Black☆Star sheds tears, but declares that they are not his own, and are those of the ones who fell in battle. With new resolve, he states that the path he will follow is neither the 'Path of the Demon' nor the 'Path of the Warrior' but his own path. He decides to take on all of the sadness of those who had fallen and chooses to fulfill their wishes himself. The spirit agrees to help him, as both he and Tsubaki swear to follow his soul. Black☆Star revives, and Mifune, seeing the difference in his eyes, agrees to fight again. Using the Red Uncanny Sword, Black☆Star manages to deeply wound Mifune. Black☆Star however, decides to spare him, and instead invites him to Shibusen to work as a teacher. But first, they need to find Angela. Mifune smiles and agrees. The three manage to infiltrate the now abandoned castle, and manage to find Angela. After doing so, Asura, who had recently devoured Arachne's soul, begins to form a barrier around him to replenish his power after fighting with Shinigami. Telling Mifune and Angela to flee, Black☆Star and Tsubaki manage to enter the barrier before it closes, with Death the Kid, Liz, Patti, Maka and Soul. They all face Asura, now in the form of a giant. Soul uses Chain Resonance using his piano, and everyone attacks. However, they do little to no damage to Asura, even with Maka's Majin Hunt. To make things worse, Soul collapses as he uses too much of his power and is devoured by the Black Blood and the Little Ogre. Black☆Star and Death the Kid assure Maka that they will protect both of them whilst she go and bring back Soul. Maka thanks them and tunes into Soul's Soul Wavelength. Meanwhile, Black☆Star, Kid and their partners battle Asura. Kid tells Black☆Star that he will use all of his power to strike Asura, and asks Black☆Star to provide him with a distraction, which disgruntles the Meister, as he likes to be on centre stage. However, he still agrees, but Asura stabs Kid before he can initiate his attack, supposedly killing him. Enraged, Black☆Star attacks Asura, but sees that Kid is still alive, and overwhelmed with energy, connects all of his Lines of Sanzu and fires a super-enhanced Death Cannon. Black☆Star uses his Uncanny Sword to overwhelm and distract Asura from Kid, whilst he fires his Death Cannon, supposedly blowing Asura to pieces. Kid collapses after the attack, but Black☆Star assures them that Kid is not dead. However, Asura, now appearing in his true form, is still not dead. Tsubaki is distressed, but Black☆Star is calm, and instead says that this means that he is the one chosen to surpass the gods. However, when Maka and Soul return to the real world, Black☆Star is lying unconscious with the others, forcing them to face Asura. Soul is soon knocked out protecting Maka, and she is forced to face Asura alone. However, her courage soon starts to frighten Asura, and Black☆Star awakes to cheer her on as she finally defeats the Kishin. Black☆Star expresses his joy over the victory with Patti as the madness of Asura clears from the sky. However, Death the Kid warns them that as long as people hold dark feelings in their hearts, a new Kishin can never be impossible. However, Maka assures them that they will be there is something like that happens, and tells them that they all have courage in their heart as well. Black☆Star smiles along with everyone. In the credits, Black☆Star is seen with Tsubaki visiting Tsubaki's family, and then playing basketball with everyone, before sitting looking over Shibusen with Maka, Soul, Tsubaki, Kid, Liz and Patti.
Altough Black☆Star is a male his voice actors are females:
- Japanese Dub : Yumiko Kobayashi
- Funanimation Dub :Brittney M. Karbowski
- Italian Dub: Monica Bertolotti
- Black☆Star's name is written in kanji at some points in the manga, 黒☆星 (literally meaning 'Black' and 'star'). It is interpreted to mean 'World of Darkness' (暗黒の世界 Ankoku no Sekai in Japanese).
- In his autograph, Black☆Star writes his name in all caps and uses the A in Black to draw the top point of a star he draws, instead of writing the actual word, STAR. He also has a line coming out in between the bottom left points of the star to make the lower part of the R in STAR.
- Yumiko Kobayashi, the seiyū (voice actor) for Black☆Star, is the only seiyū to be in both the Drama CD and the Anime.
- His theme song is 'Never Lose Myself.' His character song with Tsubaki is 'My Star.' The alternate version to his theme song is 'Lost Myself.'
- In the first Official popularity poll taken by the manga's readers, Black☆Star ranked 2nd most popular character. In the second poll, Black☆Star ranked 4th most popular character, now behind Maka and Soul.
- Black☆Star and Soul Eater Evans are best friends.
- Black☆Star's favourite number is 1 because he thinks he is number one.
- Black☆Star's favorite manga hero is Charisma Justice, a character from Atsushi Ohkubo's previous manga, B. Ichi.
- Some aspects of Black☆Star's character can be based on the character of Shotaro in B. Ichi. Their personalities are similar in some aspects and both are fans of Charisma Justice.
- In Soul Eater Chapter 40, when Tsubaki invites Black☆Star to her parents' home in Japan, Black☆Star says that he and Maka are also Japanese, giving off that Maka and Black☆Star along with Tsubaki are the only three characters in Soul Eater's main cast that are confirmed to be of Japanese descent.
- In Volume 18 of the Soul Eater manga (which contained the Spartoi's adventures through the Book of Eibon), Atsushi Ōkubo created a horse-racing style table of the Soul Eater characters who have had their genders switched, and made a race as to who is the most lustful out of them all in a 'Lust Race.' Black☆Star was given a racehorse name, but it was the same as his real name. His popularity level was 62, and he had a low chance of being the most lustful, although not as low as Maka.
- Black☆Star's character seems to have a number of traits in common with another popular manga character, Naruto Uzumaki, in that both are orphans, utilize ninja techniques and combat forms, have a pention for being loud and boistrous, crave attention, are considered stupid by their friends and foes alike and have a dream to surpass those of high standing (In Naruto's case it is to become the Hokage, while Black☆Star's case is to surpass the power of God).
- One of Black☆Star's voice actresses is Brittney M. Karbowski who also voiced a character from the anime, "Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood" , named Selim Bradley/Pride who also had the power to control its shadows for combat.
- Its shown that Black☆Star has poor reading skills as shown he had difficulty reading the word "Excalibur" even after he have been told the proper pronunciation. Further proof of this is that he has been said by Tsubaki in the anime that he actually always studies for his exams but still fails them anyways.
- In the anime, Black☆Star was absent in episodes 7, 15, 16, 21 (although he was briefly seen for a second in Soul's imagination at the end), 27 and 30.
- Black☆Star, while he was never a villain, is the only main protagonist who cares little about helping others and defeating evil, and only fights to prove his strength or for attention. However, this changes later and he becomes more heroic.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 40