"So you cast off your flesh and overcame terror, then used "BREW" to conquer dread!! And finally, you believed in others to construct a pillar of strength that would tower over horror. But it is a frail pillar indeed! Easily toppled!! And once it does, you are done! Madness will take over again! Goodbye until then! You will again hole up with me and cower!!"
Asura (阿修羅, Ashura), referred to as The Kishin or Kishin Asura, is the first generation Kishin, Meister, and a Great Old One whose affinity to Madness resides in the Madness of Fear. Born as Death's eldest son due to being a fragment containing his fear in order to be the God of Absolute Order, he formerly served as a member of the Eight Warlords as its strongest member until he betrayed the group, consuming three individuals including Vajra, and became a Kishin. He was then sealed away by his father and remained sealed until his revival by Medusa's Army. He is the main antagonist of the Soul Eater series.
Asura is also a term for a low-ranking deity in Buddhism and Hinduism. These dieties are typically portrayed as belligerent, looking for any excuse to get into a fight.
Asura was created by a fragment of Death's soul implanted with his fears in attempt for Death to better himself and become a God of Absolute Order. He was then taken in by his father as his first apprentice and became part of his group,"The Eight Warlords". However, Asura's paranoia led him to having Vajra consume human souls and then consuming him, eventually turning into the first generation Kishin. After his ascension as a kishin, Death skinned him alive and sealed him under what would be known as Death City.
As the physical embodiment of fear, Asura's behavior is extremely inconceivable; one minute he seemingly has a completely calm and cool demeanor, the next he is both maniacal and senseless. Interestingly enough, this can be seen when Asura covers his face, he tends to act erratically and is unpredictable, making him especially dangerous. However, unmasked, he is almost the opposite. He displays a much more calm and "sane" demeanor, even displaying sarcasm.
According to his father and master, Death, Asura was a suspicious individual. Wrapping himself with a scarf and wearing 5 or six layers of clothes, Asura never opened his heart up to anyone nor did he ever trust anyone. Despite being the strongest of the Eight Warlords, Death comments he was always afraid of something and grew to have an obsession with power in which caused him to break the rules of hunting souls outside Shinigami's List. Some of his fears included his own weapon partner Vajra and the "fear of death", despite his status as an immortal God of Death. He also may hold actual fear of his father, a notion supported by his reluctance to fight him head on and in the anime, even Arachne had accused Asura of this. In one instance, Eruka Frog's appearance actually startled the Kishin.
In addition, Asura himself admits that his own creation by Death was irresponsible and views Mankind as nothing more then Death's puppets, finding that what's considered normal and insane to be born of Death's own whims. He also considered Death and those who want to become what is known as a "True God of Death" like Death the Kid to be tyrants. Despite his conflicting and immoral views, he seems to not understand those who possess strong will even in the presence of someone more powerful, causing him legitimate confusion.
Despite his sinister intentions, Asura also appears to possess a strange, hidden sense of humor. When first awakened, rather than making a sinister or eerie comment as his first words in around 800 years, Asura anti-climatically comments something along the lines of his nudity being uncomfortable, since he, at the time, had no clothes on. Also, before exiting the Sealed Shrine, Asura catches a glimpse of Free standing in front of him, to which he appears to compliment Free on his muscular appearance, admiring it, and then launching himself through the ceiling. Even Free is dumbfounded by Asura's comment, wondering whether it was really addressed at him. Also, before escaping Death City, Asura also appears to be amused by how much Shinigami's demeanor and appearance has changed. When talking with Death, Asura speaks very politely and formally, showing that he may hold some respect for his former master. He also has a constant notion of "admitting" his "fear" of others, despite his actions showcasing otherwise.
In the anime , Asura has showcased a different side of his personality not present within the manga.
Asura is depicted as a very tall, thin, pale young man. Prior to becoming a Kishin, he wore numerous long white scarves, encircling his entire neck and a large portion of his head, and upwards of five to six shirts on his body, each of varying style and color. Even this significant amount of clothing is covered by a further layer; consisting of a red and black pinstriped blazer, as well as an extremely long pair of dark trousers, burying the black shoes worn underneath in a mass of fabric.
Asura has adopted the symbol of three vertical eyes, as he too possesses a third eye on his forehead. Not only does each strand of dark hair on his head look like an eye, due to the presence of white markings, but even his pupils feature this same eye-like shape. This signature eye symbol is tattooed to the backs of each of his hands and the long scarf that encompasses his head is embellished with multiple black images of these vertical eyes, wrapped in a very particular manner so as to display only three at the front. In the anime, his irises are red.
Due to the circumstances surrounding his imprisonment and subsequent revival, Asura was left without a single item of clothing, either old or new. In order to compensate for this immediate need, he fashioned various wrappings out of his own skin to cover his naked body, even forming it to create the long scarves he originally wore with the same three signature eye-like markings.
Powers & Abilities
Asura is by far the most powerful antagonist seen in Soul Eater and one of the most powerful characters in the Soul Eater series due to his making as a Great Old One, Kishin, and a God of Death. Despite his apparent power, however, he is only surpassed by Death and only the likes of the fellow Great Old One of Power can possibly compete with him in terms of actual raw power.
Asura's Powers: Asura is able to manipulate supernatural-like forces most likely due to being a God of Death and possessing the Lines of Sanzu and while has similar moves to his father, also displays his own standalone techniques and abilities with some sort of dark complexity. Such abilities normally display a Hindu/Buddhist Theme.
Madness Wavelength (狂気の波長, Kyōki no hachō): Asura emits a Madness Wavelength, which has been described as "inexhaustible" and can affect almost anyone across long distances, including witches, undead and dead, even when bloodless and sealed away underground. This wavelength on the same level as that of a god.
Madness of Fear (恐怖の狂気,Kyōfu no kyōki): Asura's Madness is so powerful that it prods and incites the Madness lying deep within the human soul, causing them to go insane. In some cases, specific people are more vulnerable to this Madness wavelength; for example, Stein is quite susceptible because of his naturally 'insane' personality in which he likes to dissect things, the Madness wavelength will catch onto and make him go insane more than it would to a character like Justin Law, as Justin is described to be a "devout clergyman."  When Asura hides on The Moon, his Madness is so powerful that it induces hallucinations and illusions instantly in any nearby persons, physically paralyze those not immune to its power.
Black Fire: Asura seems to possess some sort of black fire manipulation in which it's origins are unknown. However, this sort is used by the extensions of his skin scarves. When used, such fire normally gives off a black appearance for reasons unknown.
Black Blood (黒血, Kokketsu): Asura was revived when Eruka Frog injected Asura with the Black Blood, replacing Asura's previous blood with the Black Blood as a result. Oddly enough, he doesn't suffer from the usual weakness of being affected by attacks relating to attacking via Soul Wavelength. It is also unknown how much of an effect it has on Asura, though Kid does mention that it does give him a buff.
- Immortality (不死,Fushi): As a result of being a God of Death and the embodiment of fear, Asura possesses immortality and cannot be killed conventionally. In the anime, however, this can only be overcome by Death's variant of the Kishin-Hunt Slash and Maka's punch, in which is "full of courage".
- Elasticity: Asura's skin is very elastic and can be stretched and compressed into scarves and be controlled offensively as well as defensively.
- Inhuman Durability: Despite having been skinned alive by Death, he manage to survive this for the course of over 800 years. When engaging Death, he was able to withstand his Shinigami Chop and Shinigami Shock Waves attack. He was also able to withstand simultaneous attacks from Black☆Star and Maka Albarn, despite being in a Chain Resonance, easily withstand Death the Kid's shots despite being a True God of Death, and take a direct hit from Mjolnir as well as Gopher's Love Cannon with little difficulty. He also withstood attacks from Noah (Wrath), despite his usage of "BREW".
- Healing Factor: Asura possesses a healing factor in which enables him to easily recover from any attacks on his body. In the anime, this allows him to even regrow limbs.
- Inhuman Strength: Asura's strength allows him to easily push Maka away as well as break Black☆Star's arm.
Powerful Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Despite seeming to favor long-distance fighting, Asura has displayed considerable skill in hand-to-hand combat. He not only dealt easily with Death the Kid, a master of Death God Taijutsu, when the younger God of Death fought in close combat but also successfully used hand-to-hand combat (consisting him of using palm attacks, kicks, and spear hands) to disable even a combined attack from Black☆Star and Maka Albarn at the same time with the combined usage of his own abilities, breaking the assassin's arm at one point in addition.
Vajra Meister: Asura has displayed an uncanny skill of using Vajra, a literal vajra Demon Weapon, as his tool of fighting. After consuming his weapon partner, he was able to create a bond with the weapon that allows his usage despite the partner's death by regurgitating him from his own mouth. The most known ability in which he uses with Vajra is the ability to shoot lasers powerful enough to damage Death.
Immense Power: Asura is an extremely powerful individual. He possess the level of power to be one of the few individuals able to contend with Death himself head-on. His Soul Wavelength also is at a god level in addition according to Franken Stein and is a Great Old One who's very presence plunges men into Madness. Even his own presence and his Madness has the ability to slowly undo Order itself. Black☆Star himself was able to admit that without Maka Albarn and Soul Eater that he couldn't handle Asura alone. Maka Albarn also requested both Death the Kid and Black☆Star's aid in connecting a hit on Asura, stating herself that alone, she couldn't land a single blow on the Kishin himself. In the anime, Asura even managed to defeat both Kid and Black☆Star despite having been wounded by his battle with Death according to Excalibur.
Although a powerful entity in his own right, even Asura himself has some forms of limitations on him. Although possessing incredible abilities that make him virtually un-killable, he's not immune to being defeated. The only individual to have single-handily beat him in a one-on-one confrontation was Death, resulting in the latter skinning him alive. In the anime, Death even gained the upper-hand in their second confrontation when the latter was at his most powerful wielding Death Scythe, causing him to leverage the lives of both Death the Kid, Liz, Patty, and Azusa Yumi to gain an advantage and defeat Death alone. Even after the battle, Excalibur remarked that his battle with Death left him "badly injured" in which he needed to enter in a deep sleep to heal.
He's also been able to be sealed away, as Death himself sealed him away with his own abilities and Crona later sealed off Asura using their Mad Blood powered by the Demon Tool, "BREW". In addition, for unknown reasons, however, the anime showcased that a punch "full of courage" from Maka Albarn is able to instantly kill Asura though how exactly is unknown. This does not, however, apply to Asura's manga counterpart.
Birth & Early History
Eight hundred years ago, Asura was born as a mature God of Death when his father, Death, extracted all of his fears from his soul into the fragment with intentions of becoming the "God of Absolute Order". As a Great Old One, Asura later served as a member of the Eight Warlords as a Meister and Warlord. As a result of the time spent within the group, he was later known as the strongest member of the team.
Betrayal of the Eight Warlords
However, his fears would get the better of him and had an obsession with gaining power. After a great battle, Asura began fearing death and secretly fed his partner, Vajra, souls not on Shinigami's List and created the first Demon Sword. He would eventually consume his partner as a weapon full, gaining the ability to consume souls and using the demon weapon by will.
As a result, he became the first Kishin. Wrecking havoc with his Madness Wavelength and the Madness of Fear, he was later put to an end by his father. He was defeated, skinned alive, drained of all his blood, and the dried up body and soul was stuffed into a sack made up of his own skin to seal away him and his Madness. Death's soul was then anchored to what would be Death City to prevent the Kishin from moving about.
Eight hundred years later, Asura is revived when Eruka Frog injects a giant needle of Black Blood into the sack containing the Kishin. As a result, he beings reforming into his original form. As he forms, he is attacked by Death the Kid using the Demon Twin Guns, though they do no damage to the god and continues reforming. As he finishes, he is surprised to find the Frog Witch in front of him, screaming at the top of his lungs. As the witch screams herself in fear, both Kid and Free are astounded by the Kishin being surprised. Black☆Star decides to attack him with his Ultimate Move: Black☆Star Big Wave. However, the attack is ineffective and he is sent flying away from Asura with only a swipe in the air. As Kid attempts to shoot down the Kishin, he is slapped in the forehead with Asura's elastic skin, causing him to get knocked out in one hit. Asura then stretches his skin into Skin Scarves, loudly exclaiming that he is naked and needs to cover up, which he does. He then comments on how nice it must be to have muscles, before jumping into the air and flying his way out of the shrine.
As Asura reaches the surface, he is then captured by some of Death's seals that were in place just in case he ever escaped earlier. However, due to being newly revived and the dated sealing, the seals are easily torn. However, Death then appears before Asura. As Death greeted the Kishin and questions wellbeing, Asura questions why Death currently wears a silly mask. As the question is answered, he presumes that the silly voice in which he speaks is the result of being in the academy and wanting to appeal to the children. Death then gives Asura an ultimatum, stating it is time for him to die again before being hit by a powerful Shinigami Chop.
Crashing into the group, he then laughs manically, asking Death does he know the pain of having skin torn from the body and claims he's forgotten. He then sends his skin scarves to Death, prompting him to use Katsu and Shinigami Shock Waves to nullify and counter his move. He takes the shockwaves, taking damage and easily heals. He then attempts to escape, with Death blocking his way with a Death Block shield, promoting him to use his own abilities to drill through both the shield and Death. As Death attempts to skin him alive again, the attack bounces away and it is revealed Asura was aware that Death can no longer move freely. He then tells Death that he doubts they'll ever meet and bids his farewell, calling Death "Master" before leaving.
When Crona had used Mad Blood to encompass a large sphere of Black Blood around the city Ukraine, Asura's own Black Blood reacted and prompted Justin Law and The Clown to investigate the reason behind it.
| He hasn't reached full strength yet, but I don't have my Death Scythes.
There's something missing here. This section of the article is incomplete and requires more information before it can be considered complete.
After Noah (Wrath) manages to capture Asura by using Brew to fuse with one of his ants, Crona suddenly appears behind Noah and they dissolve both Noah (Wrath) and Asura in twister of Mad Blood. Crona then absorbs only Asura and they say that they don't need Noah (Wrath), who Ragnarok immediately spits out of Crona's body. However, after Crona has a mental breakdown, Asura assimilates Crona's body and swears to create a chaotic world driven by Madness.
He easily resists Maka's failed attempts to get Crona back, and deflects several attacks by Maka, Black☆Star, and Kid, watching calmly as Kid completes his transformation into a full Shinigami and commenting on what a stupid younger brother Kid is, revealing the fact that he too is Shinigami's son.
Asura continues fighting the trio, and their efforts to defeat him continue being in vain despite Kid's transformation into a Shinigami. Soul determines he and Maka must harness the power of the Black Blood to defeat him, and take the risk of insanity that comes with it. Donning the dress of Black Blood again, Maka enters Asura while Kid and Black☆Star hold him back. Inside Asura, Maka manages to convince Crona that they are doing the wrong thing. Crona finally agrees to stop and agrees to help the group because they trust Maka's judgment so much, as Maka was the only person ever to be kind, caring, and trusting towards them.
Upon leaving Asura, Maka attacks Asura with the Kishin-Hunt Slash, defeating him and allowing Crona to seal both Asura and themselves inside The Moon to keep the madness locked away forever, whilst Maka, Black☆Star and Kid are safely transported back to Death City.
- (To Death the Kid) "Shinigami wished to be the god of absolute order, and thus he cut loose his fear — and turned it into me. That careless act was the genesis of this world that is saturated with the madness you hate so much." 
- (To Black☆Star) "Why do you blindly trust Shinigami when you possess such power for yourself? This is why humanity is foolish."
- Asura's prominent symbol of three vertical eyes was based upon the symbol involved with the character "Emine" and his Hakutaku in Atsushi's earlier series B. Ichi.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 16
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Soul Eater Anime: Episode 51
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 72
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 108
- ↑ (Yen Press)Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 108 — Asura: Shinigami desired to be the God of Absolute Order, and thus he cut fear loose and turned it into me.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 6.8 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 22
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 5 Yen Press Translation notes
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 107
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 8
- ↑ (English Dub) Soul Eater Anime: Episode 39 - Arachne:Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps you are as afraid of the Grim Reaper as they say
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 110
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 111
- ↑ Soul Eater, Volume 6, Chapter 22, Yen Press translation. Asura exclaims that he 'feels so naked' with eight exclamation marks.
- ↑ In the English dub of the anime (Episode 24), Asura exclaims that 'nakedness is so wrong.'
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 6, Chapter 22, Yen Press translation. "Must be nice to have muscles!!"
- ↑ In the English dub of the anime (Episode 24) he says: "I like the macho look" to Free.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 108-112
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 18.4 Soul Eater Anime: Episode 48
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 16 — It is revealed Death skinned Asura alive
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 107 — Asura comments about the Great Old One of Power in the Yen Press Translation (This is omitted in unofficial translation), stating Black☆Star's power "reminds" him of the being. An acknowledgement like that means he holds his power to a considerable degree
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 24
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga:Chapter 23 — Dr.Stein: But remember that this is a soul wavelength at a god level.
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga:Chapter 23 Page 21— Stein: Asura's madness wavelength prods and incites the madness lying deep within the human soul.
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 23 Page 21 — Stein: I think a very devout clergyman such as Justin-kun here, for example, is less likely to be affected.
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 99, Pages 14-16
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 109
- ↑ Soul Eater' Manga: Chapter 23
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 108 - Kid:He's a Kishin to begin with, but the blood with his veins is "Black Blood", courtesy of Medusa. It wont be that simple.
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 112
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 109-112
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 107 - Spirit:Even the Resonance of family with the same soul wavelength cannot breach the Kishin's walls of suspicion and paranoid. The only way to defeat the Kishin is with Resonance that goes beyond gender, race, personality - everything!!
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 107
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga Chapter 99
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 6; Chapter 22, page 168-177
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 7; Chapter 23, page 22
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 17; Chapter 72, page 177
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 23; Chapter 103, page 9
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 24; Chapter 107, page 162
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 25; Chapter 111, page 118
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ (Yen Press)Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 20 - Kid:...Father defeated Asura...and then stripped all the skin off of him to seal him.
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 49 - Excalibur:The Kishin was badly injured during his fight with Lord Death. He's going into a deep sleep to heal.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 6
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 20
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 21
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 89
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 42
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 85 — Justin Law: All of Kishin-sama's blood was drained before he was sealed away. That seal was only broken when Kishin-sama was injected with the so-called "Black Blood" created by the witch Medusa. I can only assume that's why Kishin-sama reacted to this black globe - because the same black blood is in him.
|Great Old Ones||DeathOrder • ExcaliburRage • AsuraFear • EibonKnowledge • The Great Old One of PowerPower|
|Madness-Types||Madness of Fear • Madness of Order • Madness of Knowledge • Madness of Rage • Madness of Power|
|Left Group||Death • Excalibur • Eibon • The Great Old One of Power|
|True||DeathGreat Old One|
|Fragments||Death the Kid • AsuraGreat Old One|