"So you cast off your flesh and overcame terror, then used "BREW" to conquer dread!! And finally, you believed in others to construct a pillar of strength that would tower over horror. But it is a frail pillar indeed! Easily toppled!! And once it does, you are done! Madness will take over again! Goodbye until then! You will again hole up with me and cower!!"
Asura (阿修羅, Ashura), simply referred to as The Kishin and Kishin Asura, is the first generation Kishin and a Great Old One whose affinity to Madness resides is that of "Fear".  Born as Death's eldest son due to being a fragment containing his fear in order to be the God of Absolute Order, he formerly served as a member of The Eight Warlords as a Meister until he betrayed the group, consuming three individuals in which included Vajra, and became a Kishin. He was then sealed away by his father and remained sealed until his revival by Medusa's Army. He is the main antagonist of the Soul Eater series.
Asura was created by a fragment of Death's soul implanted with his fears in attempt for Death to better himself and become a God of Absolute Order. He was then taken in by his father as his first apprentice and became part of his group,"The Eight Warlords". However, Asura's paranoia led him to having Vajra consume human souls and then consuming him, eventually turning into the first generation Kishin. After his ascension as a kishin, Death skinned him alive and sealed him under what would be known as Death City.
Asura had been known as an individual who possessed an extremely fragile soul. Joining The Eight Warlords, Asura had shared a friendship with Shinigami, and the two fought alongside each other in order to protect peace and order in the world. Asura was the best and strongest out of all Eight Guardians, however, despite his immense strength, Asura had almost always been experiencing the terror of something. Constantly frightened, Asura sought desperately to relieve his insatiable fear. He found such comfort in dressing with a ridiculous amount of layered clothing, wrapping his face in long scarves, and finding comfort in his Weapon partner, Vajra. His fear, however, did not come to an ease, and found it difficult to trust others in the fear of betrayal; these people include even Vajra, with whom he had supposedly specifically partnered with in an effort to escape his fears. Eventually, Asura came to the conclusion that the only way that he could relieve his fears was through the attainment of ultimate power. He then became so obsessed in obtaining such power that he began to consume Souls of innocent humans, even going so far as to consume Vajra himself. Eventually, Asura fell to his own Madness, and had become the first Kishin.
As the physical embodiment of fear, Asura's behavior is extremely inconceivable; one minute he seemingly has a completely calm and cool demeanor, the next he is both maniacal and senseless. Interestingly enough, this can be seem in the manga. When Asura covers his face, he tends to act erratically and is unpredictable, making him especially dangerous. However, unmasked, he is almost the opposite. He displays a much more calm and "sane" demeanor, even displaying sarcasm.
Asura also appears to possess a strange, hidden sense of humor. When first awakened, rather than making a sinister or eerie comment as his first words in around 800 years, Asura anti-climatically comments something along the lines of his nudity being uncomfortable, since he, at the time, had no clothes on. Also, before exiting the Sealed Shrine, Asura catches a glimpse of Free standing in front of him, to which he appears to compliment Free on his muscular appearance, admiring it, and then launching himself through the ceiling. Even Free is dumbfounded by Asura's comment, wondering whether it was really addressed at him. Also, before escaping Death City, Asura also appears to be amused by how much Shinigami's demeanor and appearance has changed. When talking with Shinigami, Asura speaks very politely and formally, showing that he may hold some respect for his former master.
Asura is depicted as a very tall, thin, pale young man. Prior to becoming a Kishin, he wore numerous long white scarves, encircling his entire neck and a large portion of his head, and upwards of five to six shirts on his body, each of varying style and color. Even this significant amount of clothing is covered by a further layer; consisting of a red and black pinstriped blazer, as well as an extremely long pair of dark trousers, burying the black shoes worn underneath in a mass of fabric.
Asura has adopted the symbol of three vertical eyes, as he too possesses a third eye on his forehead. Not only does each strand of dark hair on his head look like an eye, due to the presence of white markings, but even his pupils feature this same eye-like shape. This signature eye symbol is tattooed to the backs of each of his hands and the long scarf that encompasses his head is embellished with multiple black images of these vertical eyes, wrapped in a very particular manner so as to display only three at the front. In the anime, his irises are red.
Due to the circumstances surrounding his imprisonment and subsequent revival, Asura was left without a single item of clothing, either old or new. In order to compensate for this immediate need, he fashioned various wrappings out of his own skin to cover his naked body, even forming it to create the long scarves he originally wore with the same three signature eye-like markings.
Magic and Abilities
Asura is by far the most powerful antagonist seen in Soul Eater and one of the most powerful characters in the Soul Eater series due to his making as a Great Old One, Kishin, and a Shinigami. Despite his apparent power, however, he is only surpassed by Death and only the likes of the fellow Great Old One of Power can possibly compete with him in terms of actual raw power.
Main article: Black Shinigami Magic
Asura is able to manipulate supernatural forces most likely due to being a Shinigami and while has similar moves to his father, also displays his own standalone techniques and abilities with some sort of dark complexity. Such abilities normally display a Hindu/Buddhist Theme.
- Kishin Block: In the second fight between Asura and Shinigami in the anime, he was seen using a shield similar to Shinigami's Death Block spell in the form of a red circle. It is filled with numerous symbols, most likely of Hindu or Buddhist origin.
- Kishin Energy Beams: Not officially named and shown only in the anime, this attack begins with Asura folding his hands in a manner similar to praying, before creating small spheres of soul energy which become two circular eye-like symbols that both release a very powerful beam of energy.
- Shinigami Shock Waves: Asura used a Shockwave attack similar to Shinigami's against Noah during the fight on the Moon. His variation requires him to only sway his arm.
- Kiai: In the anime, Asura is able to perform a Kiai, a shout in which can be used to focus the spirit and energy into an attack. This is shown only in the anime, in which Asura shouted to destroy the Death Block shield.
- Black Fire: During the battle on the Moon, Asura used his skin scarves to create a black-colored fired. He is able to launch it to his opponents, burning them upon contact.
As a Meister, Asura has the ability to resonate with Demon Weapon and is conjecturally classified as a unconventional meister due to using Vajra as his weapon partner. After consuming him, he somehow formed a unique bond to Vajra's weapon form and can regurgitate to continue his usage.
- Energy Blast: By regurgitating Vajra, he can fire a powerful energy blast. Only those like Shinigami and Excalibur, a great weapon of his own right, can survive a direct hit from a blast of that caliber. Though humans such as Black☆Star were able to somewhat copy the move by "eating" the energy and shooting it back, however it can cause severe damage.
- Drill Attack: He can rush the enemy while using his soul wavelength to create a twister-like air current around him, turning himself into a human drill.
Hand-To-Hand Combat Mastery
Despite seeming to favor long-distance fighting, Asura has displayed considerable skill in hand-to-hand combat. He not only dealt easily with Death the Kid, a expert of Death God Taijutsu, when the younger Shinigami fought in close combat but also successfully used hand-to-hand combat to disable even a combined attack from Black☆Star and Maka Albarn at the same time with the combined usage of his own abilities.
Exceptional Soul and Soul Wavelength
- Madness Wavelength: As a Great Old One, Asura excretes a Madness Wavelength, which has been described as "inexhaustible" and can affect almost anyone across long distances, including witches and even the undead and dead, whether bloodless or sealed away underground. When Asura hides on The Moon, his Madness Wavelength is so powerful that induces hallucinations and illusions instantly in any nearby persons, physically paralyze those not immune to its power.
Due to being that of a Shinigami, Asura possess a advance physiology.
- Immortality: As a result of being a Shinigami and the embodiment of fear, Asura possesses immortality and cannot be killed conventionally. In the anime, however, this can only be overcome by Death's variant of the Kishin-Hunt Slash and Maka's punch, in which is "full of courage".
- Elasticity: Though not as elastic as his father, Asura's skin is very elastic and can be stretched and compressed into scarves and be controlled offensively as well as defensively.
As the strongest of the Great Old Ones and an equal to Shinigami himself, Asura is an immeasurably powerful god-like being that presides over the attributes that drives men towards madness, which in his particular case is the possession of "Terror". The Madness he employs awakens the insanity within others. His Madness can also even cause illusions and hallucinations. It has been said by many that his Madness Wavelength is inexhaustible.
High Level Intellect
During his battles in the anime, Asura has shown a high level of perceptiveness in battle, accurately stating the attacks his opponents used against him and finding ways to counteract them. He was also initially aware of Shinigami being unable to interact after a certain distance.
Main Article:Black Blood
Asura's Black Blood allows him to recover from even severe injuries very quickly. He can regenerate lost limbs instantly and seems to have some form of resistance against attacks that would ordinarily destroy a Kishin. In the manga it is stated by Justin, Asura too feels the effects of Crona's Black Blood.
When the Madness Wavelength he gives off concentrates into a specific area, it is implied in theory that it would create a contagion of madness called Clowns, whose purpose is to simply spread the madness further.
The Eight Warlord's Betrayal
Eight hundred years ago, Asura was born as a full Shinigami when his father, Death, extracted all of his fears from his souls into the fragment with intentions of becoming the "God of Absolute Order". As a Great Old One, Asura later served as a member of The Eight Warlords (also known as the Eight Shinigami Legions) as a Meister and Warlord. As a result of the time spent within the group, he was later known as the strongest member of the team.
However, his fears would get the better of him and had an obsession with gaining power. After a great battle, Asura began fearing death and secretly fed his partner, Vajra, souls not on Shinigami's List and created the first Demon Sword. He would eventually consume his partner as a weapon full, gaining the ability to consume souls and using the demon weapon by will. As a result, he became the first Kishin. Wrecking havoc with his Madness Wavelength and the Madness of Fear, he was later put to an end by his father. He was defeated, skinned alive, drained of all his blood, and the dried up body and soul was stuffed into a sack made up of his own skin to seal away him and his Madness. Death's soul was then anchored to what would be Death City to prevent the Kishin from moving about.
Eight hundred years later, Asura is revived when Eruka Frog injects a giant needle of Black Blood into the sack containing the Kishin. As a result, he beings reforming into his original form. As he forms, he is attacked by Death the Kid using the Demon Twin Guns, though they do no damage to the god and continues reforming. As he finishes, he is surprised to find the Frog Witch in front of him, screaming at the top of his lungs. As the witch screams herself in fear, both Kid and Free are astounded of the Kishin being surprised. Black☆Star decides to attack him with his Ultimate Move: Black☆Star Big Wave. However, the attack is ineffective and he is sent flying away from Asura with only a swipe in the air. As Kid attempts to shoot down the Kishin, he is slapped in the forehead with Asura's elastic skin, causing him to get knocked out in one hit. Asura then stretches his skin into Skin Scarves, loudly exclaiming that he is naked and needs to cover up as well as commenting on how nice it must be to have muscles before jumping into the air and flying his way out of the shrine.
As Asura reaches the surface, he is then captured by some of Death's seals that were in place just in case he ever escaped earlier. However, due to being newly revived and the dated sealing, the seals are easily torn. However, Death then appears before Asura. As Death greeted the Kishin and questions wellbeing, Asura questions why Death currently wears a silly mask. As the question is answered, he presumes that the silly voice in which he speaks is the result of being in the academy and wanting to appeal to the children. Death then gives Asura an ultimatum, stating it is time for him to die again before being hit by a powerful Shinigami Chop.
Crashing into the group, he then laughs manically, asking Death does he know the pain of having skin torn from the body and claims he's forgotten. He then sends his skin scarves to Death, prompting him to use Katsu and Shinigami Shock Waves to nullify and counter his move. He takes the shockwaves, taking damage and easily heals. He then attempts to escape, with Death blocking his way with a Death Block shield, promoting him to use his own abilities to drill through both the shield and Death. As Death attempts to skin him alive again, the attack bounces away and it is revealed Asura was aware that Death can no longer move freely. He then tells Death that he doubts they'll ever meet and bids his farewell, calling Death "Master" before leaving.
When Crona had used Mad Blood to encompass a large sphere of Black Blood around the city Ukraine, Asura's own Black Blood reacted and prompted Justin Law and The Clown to investigate the reason behind it.
| He hasn't reached his full strength yet. But I don't have my deathscythe.
There's something missing here. This section of the article is incomplete & requires more information before it can be considered complete.
After Noah (Wrath) manages to capture Asura by using Brew to fuse with one of his ants, Crona suddenly appears behind Noah and they dissolve both Noah (Wrath) and Asura in twister of Mad Blood. Crona then absorbs only Asura and they say that they don't need Noah (Wrath), who Ragnarok immediately spits out of Crona's body. However, after Crona has a mental breakdown, Asura assimilates Crona's body and swears to create a chaotic world driven by Madness.
He easily resists Maka's failed attempts to get Crona back, and deflects several attacks by Maka, Black☆Star, and Kid, watching calmly as Kid completes his transformation into a full Shinigami and commenting on what a stupid younger brother Kid is, revealing the fact that he too is Shinigami's son.
Asura continues fighting the trio, and their efforts to defeat him continue being in vain despite Kid's transformation into a Shinigami. Soul determines he and Maka must harness the power of the Black Blood to defeat him, and take the risk of insanity that comes with it. Donning the dress of Black Blood again, Maka enters Asura while Kid and Black☆Star hold him back. Inside Asura, Maka manages to convince Crona that they are doing the wrong thing. Crona finally agrees to stop and agrees to help the group because they trust Maka's judgment so much, as Maka was the only person ever to be kind, caring, and trusting towards them.
Upon leaving Asura, Maka attacks Asura with the Kishin-Hunt Slash, defeating him and allowing Crona to seal both Asura and themselves inside The Moon to keep the madness locked away forever, whilst Maka, Black☆Star and Kid are safely transported back to Death City.
- (To Death the Kid) "Shinigami wished to be the god of absolute order, and thus he cut loose his fear — and turned it into me. That careless act was the genesis of this world that is saturated with the madness you hate so much." 
- (To Black☆Star) "Why do you blindly trust Shinigami when you possess such power for yourself? This is why humanity is foolish."
- Asura's prominent symbol of three vertical eyes was based upon the symbol involved with the character "Emine" and his Hakutaku in Atsushi's earlier series B. Ichi.
- Asura possesses several references to Hindu and Buddhist religions: His name is taken from Asura , a low-ranking deity in Buddhism and Hinduism. His depiction--an almost emaciated body wrapped in paper or fabric--is likely based on Buddhist mummification, as Buddhists must take an extreme diet before death.He also possesses the third eyes, in which the concept of a third eye is a symbol of enlightenment. Asura's hand signs are aslo similar to mudrā, symbolic and ritualistic gestures of Buddhism and Taoism. His weapon, a vajra, is a ritual tool symbolically used by various eastern religions.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 72
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 108
- ↑ (Yen Press)Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 108 — Asura: Shinigami desired to be the God of Absolute Order, and thus he cut fear loose and turned it into me.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 16
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 22
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 107
- ↑ Soul Eater, Volume 6, Chapter 22, Yen Press translation. Asura exclaims that he 'feels so naked' with eight exclamation marks.
- ↑ In the English dub of the anime (Episode 24), Asura exclaims that 'nakedness is so wrong.'
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 6, Chapter 22, Yen Press translation. "Must be nice to have muscles!!"
- ↑ In the English dub of the anime (Episode 24) he says: "I like the macho look" to Free.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Soul Eater Anime: Episode 48
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Soul Eater Anime: Episode 51
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 16 — It is revealed Death skinned Asura alive
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 107 — Asura comments about the Great Old One of Power in the Yen Press Translation (This is omitted in unofficial translation), stating Black Star's power "reminds" him of the being. An acknowledgement like that means he holds his power to a considerable degree
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 Soul Eater Anime: Episode 24
- ↑ Soul Eater Chapter 99, Pages 14-16
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 112
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga Chapter 99
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 6
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 20
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 21
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 22
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 89
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 42
- ↑ (Yen Press) Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 85 — Justin Law: All of Kishin-sama's blood was drained before he was sealed away. That seal was only broken when Kishin-sama was injected with the so-called "Black Blood" created by the witch Medusa. I can only assume that's why Kishin-sama reacted to this black globe - because the same black blood is in him.
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 9: Yen Press English translation, Page 186
|Great Old Ones||DeathOrder • ExcaliburRage • AsuraFear • EibonKnowledge • The Great Old One of PowerPower|
|Madness-Types||Madness of Fear • Madness of Order • Madness of Knowledge • Madness of Rage • Madness of Power|
|Warlords||Death • Excalibur • Asura • Eibon • The Great Old One of Power • Vajra|
|Complete||DeathGreat Old One|
|Fragments||Death the Kid • AsuraGreat Old One|
|Abilities||Shinigami Magic • Black Shinigami Magic • Death God Taijutsu • Lines of Sanzu • Soul Collect • Soul Confiscation|
|Shinigami-related Items||Shinigami Jets • Cloak of Contents • Beelzebub • Skin Scarves|