"So you cast off your flesh and overcame terror, then used "BREW" to conquer dread!! And finally, you believed in others to construct a pillar of strength that would tower over horror. But it is a frail pillar indeed! Easily toppled!! And once it does, you are done! Madness will take over again! Goodbye until then! You will again hole up with me and cower!!"
Chris Patton (English)
|List of Appearances | Gallery|
Asura (阿修羅, Ashura) is the first generation Afreet and Great Old One whose affinity to Madness resides in the Madness of Fear. Born as Death's eldest son and as a fragment containing his fear in order for Death to be the God of Absolute Order. He formerly served as a member of the Eight Shinigami Legions as its strongest member until he betrayed the group, and became a Kishin. He was then sealed away by his father and remained sealed until his revival by Medusa's Army. He is the main antagonist of the Soul Eater series.
Asura is also a term for a low-ranking deity in Buddhism and Hinduism. These dieties are typically portrayed as belligerent, looking for any excuse to get into a fight.
Asura was created by a fragment of Death's soul implanted with his fears in attempt for Death to better himself and become a God of Absolute Order. He was then taken in by his father as his first apprentice and became part of his group,"The Eight Shinigami Legions". However, Asura's paranoia led him to having Vajra consume human souls and then consuming the weapon, eventually turning into the first generation Kishin. After his ascension as a kishin, Death skinned him alive and sealed him under what would be known as Death City.
As the physical embodiment of fear, Asura's behavior is extremely inconceivable; one minute he seemingly has a completely calm and cool demeanor, the next he is both maniacal and senseless. Interestingly enough, this can be seen when Asura covers his face, he tends to act erratically and is unpredictable, making him especially dangerous. However, unmasked, he is almost the opposite. He displays a much more calm and "sane" demeanor, even displaying sarcasm.
According to his father and master, Death, Asura was a suspicious individual. Wrapping himself with a scarf and wearing five or six layers of clothes, Asura never opened his heart up to anyone nor did he ever trust anyone. Despite being the strongest of the Eight Shinigami Legions, Death comments he was always afraid of something and grew to have an obsession with power, which caused him to break the rules of hunting souls outside Shinigami's List. Some of his fears included his own weapon partner Vajra and the "fear of death", despite his status as an immortal Death God. He also may hold actual fear of his father, a notion supported by his reluctance to fight him head on and in the anime, even Arachne had accused Asura of this. In one instance, Eruka Frog's appearance actually startled the Kishin.
In addition, Asura himself admits that his own creation by Death was irresponsible and views Mankind as nothing more then Death's puppets, finding that what's considered normal and insane to be born of Death's own whims. He also considered Death and those who want to become what is known as a "True Death God" like Death the Kid to be tyrants. Despite his conflicting and immoral views, he seems to not understand those who possess strong will even in the presence of someone more powerful, causing him legitimate confusion.
Despite his sinister intentions, Asura also appears to possess a strange, hidden sense of humor. When first awakened, rather than making a sinister or eerie comment as his first words in around 800 years, Asura anti-climatically comments something along the lines of his nudity being uncomfortable, since he, at the time, had no clothes on. Also, before exiting the Sealed Shrine, Asura catches a glimpse of Free standing in front of him, to which he appears to compliment Free on his muscular appearance, admiring it, and then launching himself through the ceiling. Even Free is dumbfounded by Asura's comment, wondering whether it was really addressed at him. Also, before escaping Death City, Asura also appears to be amused by how much Shinigami's demeanor and appearance has changed. When talking with Death, Asura speaks very politely and formally, showing that he may hold some respect for his former master. He also has a constant notion of "admitting" his "fear" of others, despite his actions showcasing otherwise.
In the anime , Asura has showcased a different side of his personality not present within the manga.
Asura is depicted as a very tall, thin, pale young man. Prior to becoming a Kishin, he wore numerous long white scarves, encircling his entire neck and a large portion of his head, and upwards of five to six shirts on his body, each of varying style and color. Even this significant amount of clothing is covered by a further layer; consisting of a red and black pinstriped blazer, as well as an extremely long pair of dark trousers, burying the black shoes worn underneath in a mass of fabric.
Asura has adopted the symbol of three vertical eyes, as he too possesses a third eye on his forehead. Not only does each strand of dark hair on his head look like an eye, due to the presence of white markings, but even his pupils feature this same eye-like shape. This signature eye symbol is tattooed to the backs of each of his hands and the long scarf that encompasses his head is embellished with multiple black images of these vertical eyes, wrapped in a very particular manner so as to display only three at the front. In the anime, his irises are red.
Due to the circumstances surrounding his imprisonment and subsequent revival, Asura was left without a single item of clothing, either old or new. In order to compensate for this immediate need, he fashioned various wrappings out of his own skin to cover his naked body, even forming it to create the long scarves he originally wore with the same three signature eye-like markings.
Asura is an extremely powerful true god. He possess the level of power to be one of the few individuals able to contend with Death himself head-on. His Soul Wavelength also is at a god level according to Franken Stein and is a Great Old One whose very presence plunges men into Madness. Even his own presence and his Madness has the ability to slowly undo Order itself.
Black☆Star himself was able to admit that without Maka Albarn and Soul Eater that he couldn't handle Asura alone. Maka Albarn also requested both Death the Kid and Black☆Star's aid in connecting a hit on Asura, stating herself that alone, she couldn't land a single blow on the Kishin himself. In the anime, Asura even managed to defeat both Kid and Black☆Star despite having been wounded by his battle with Death according to Excalibur.
Officially, Okubo has stated that Asura is also stronger then both Death the Kid with three of the Lines of Sanzu connected and Black☆Star during the finale of Soul Eater.
Vajra Meister: Asura has displayed an uncanny skill of using Vajra, a literal vajra Demon Weapon, as his tool of fighting. After consuming his weapon partner, he was able to create a bond with the weapon that allows his usage despite the partner's death by regurgitating him from his own mouth. The most known ability in which he uses with Vajra is the ability to shoot lasers powerful enough to damage Death.
Madness Wavelength (狂気の波長, Kyōki no hachō): Asura emits a Madness Wavelength, which has been described as "inexhaustible" and can affect almost anyone across long distances and around the world, including witches, undead and dead, even when bloodless and sealed away underground. This wavelength is on a god's level.
- Madness of Fear (恐怖の狂気, Kyōfu no kyōki): His Madness prods and incites the Madness lying deep within the human soul, causing them to go insane or in some cases, face horrific illusions and hallucination in which would result in the person unknowingly commit suicide. In some cases, specific people are more vulnerable to this Madness wavelength; for example, Stein is quite susceptible because of his naturally 'insane' personality in which he likes to dissect things, the Madness wavelength will catch onto and make him go insane more than it would to a character like Justin Law, as Justin is described to be a "devout clergyman."  When Asura hides on The Moon, his Madness is so powerful that it induces hallucinations and illusions instantly in any nearby persons, physically paralyze those not immune to its power.
- Pressure: A ability in which allows Asura to use the pressure of his Madness for a variety of means. He can focus it into a physical force capable of flattening an individual. Asura also demonstrated to "slap" eye formations with his skin, attacking others with pressure and downing individuals like Death the Kid.
Lines of Sanzu (ザ ライン オブ サンズ, Za Rain obu Sanzu): Being a Death God himself, it is assumed that Asura possess the Lines of Sanzu. It seems to be indicated by that of the white breaks around his hair, having possessed this appearance since even prior to his betrayal.
- Shinigami Powers (死神の力, Shinigami no chikara): Asura has powerful, divine capabilities due to him being a Death God and is presumably powered by his own Lines of Sanzu. Unlike Kid's own, it doesn't draw power from his parent, Death, and functions in it's own, independent theme.
- Shield: Asura can create a shield that surrounds his entire body to protect himself. (Anime Only) (Unnamed)
- Red Electricity: Asura can emit a powerful red electricity able to nullify and break Maka's Kishin-Hunt. (Anime Only) (Unnamed)
- Barrier (結界, Kekkai): Asura is able to manifest a extremely strong barrier powerful enough to ward off any kinds of intrusions and create a Space. According to Azusa, the barrier he creates makes the inside similar to that of the Death Room, in which disallows those who enter to leave without permission or defeating the creator the barrier.
- Shock Wave: Asura can create a shockwave by swiping his arms and injuring an opponent. It was powerful enough (when used casually) to injure Noah (Wrath), causing it to dismember his right eye.
- Dummy (ダミー, Dami): Asura can create a clone of himself with his powers almost instantaneously. He was fast enough to to create a dummy just before Death was able to slice through him. (Anime Only)
- Beam: A powerful technique in which Asura can create powerful beams. Their power was sufficient enough to destroy a neighborhood of houses when used against Death. (Anime Only) (Unnamed)
- Collect (回収, Kaishū): As a Death God, Asura is also capable of collecting the souls of other individuals without actually consuming them.
- Black Fire: Asura seems to possess some sort of black fire manipulation. Its origins are unknown. However, this sort is used by the extensions of his skin scarves. When used, such fire normally gives off a black appearance for reasons unknown. (Unnamed)
- Energy Orb: Asura can fire a powerful energy orb in which expands after it's initial blast capable of injuring and backing away both Death the Kid and Black☆Star with ease. This is done by concentration, clasping his hands together to draw power, and opening some sort of portal with his power, shooting forth the energy orb (Unnamed)
- Death Block: Asura is capable of creating shield similar to his father for his defense. However, unlike it being shaped as a skull, he instead carries his own theme and creates a shield with a Buddhist/Hindu theme.
Death God Physiology: Also being a Death God, he has a far more advanced physiology. Just like Death the Kid himself, Asura's Death God body allows him to repel everything, even the likes of poison or dye.
- Immortality (不死, Fushi): As a result of being a Death God and the embodiment of fear, Asura possesses immortality and cannot be killed conventionally. In the anime, however, this can possibly only be overcome by Death's variant of the Kishin-Hunt and Maka Albarn's punch, which is "full of courage".
- Regeneration: Asura possesses regeneration in which enables him to easily recover from any attacks on his body. In the anime, this allows him to even regrow limbs in seconds.
Enhanced Durability: Despite having been skinned alive by Death, he manage to survive this for the course of over 800 years. When engaging Death, he was able to withstand his Shinigami Chop and Shinigami Shock Waves attack. He was also able to withstand simultaneous attacks from Black☆Star and Maka Albarn, despite being in a Chain Resonance, easily withstand Death the Kid's shots despite being a True Death God, and take a direct hit from Mjolnir as well as Gopher's Love Cannon with little difficulty. He also withstood attacks from Noah (Wrath), despite his usage of "BREW".
- Resonance Defense: According to Spirit Albarn, those with similar Soul Wavelengths (family members) cannot breach the Kishin's "wall of suspicion and paranoia" and that only a Soul Resonance that goes beyond race, gender, and personality can defeat him.
- Black Blood (黒血, Kokketsu): Asura was revived when Eruka Frog injected Asura with the Black Blood, replacing Asura's previous blood with the Black Blood as a result. Oddly enough, he doesn't suffer from the usual weakness of being affected by attacks relating to attacking via Soul Wavelength. It is also unknown how much of an effect it has on Asura, though Kid does mention that it does give him a buff.
Elasticity: Asura's skin is very elastic and can be stretched and compressed into scarves and be controlled offensively as well as defensively.
Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Despite seeming to favor long-distance fighting, Asura has displayed considerable skill in hand-to-hand combat. He not only dealt easily with Death the Kid, a master of Death God Taijutsu, when the younger Death God fought in close combat but also successfully used hand-to-hand combat (consisting him of using palm attacks, kicks, and spear hands) to disable even a combined attack from Black☆Star and Maka Albarn at the same time with the combined usage of his own abilities, breaking the assassin's arm at one point in addition.
Although a powerful entity in his own right, even Asura himself has some forms of limitations on him. Although possessing incredible abilities that make him virtually un-killable, he's not immune to being defeated.
The only individual to have single-handily beat him in a one-on-one confrontation was Death, resulting in the latter skinning him alive. In the anime, Death even gained the upper-hand in their second confrontation when the latter was at his most powerful wielding Death Scythe, causing him to leverage the lives of both Death the Kid, Liz, Patty, and Azusa Yumi to gain an advantage and defeat Death alone. Even after the battle, Excalibur remarked that his battle with Death left him "badly injured" to which he needed to enter a deep sleep to heal.
In addition, it seems that even Asura himself had some trouble with fighting the Icon known as Noah (Wrath) when the latter used "BREW", a powerful Demon Tool said to be Eibon essentially. He was unable able to deal damage to him with his Skin Scarves and was caught, though the Sorcerer himself failed to do lasting damage on the Kishin.
He's also been able to be sealed away, as Death himself sealed him away with his own abilities and Crona later sealed off Asura using their Mad Blood powered by the Demon Tool, "BREW". In addition, for unknown reasons, however, the anime showcased that a punch "full of courage" from Maka Albarn is able to instantly kill Asura though how exactly is unknown. This does not, however, apply to Asura's manga counterpart.
As well, Asura's madness is not enough to overcome or fool all opponents. The Anti-Demon Wavelength and Healing Wavelength are both capable of temporarily deterring the spread of madness, even reversing its negative effects and hallucinations. As well, intense focus by some persons, such as Free and Death the Kid, can see through Asura's hallucinations.
Vajra (ヴァジュラ, Vajura):
Eight hundred years ago, Asura was born as a mature Death God when his father, Death, extracted all of his fears from his soul into the fragment with intentions of becoming the "God of Absolute Order". As a Great Old One, Asura later served as a member of the Eight Shinigami Legions as a Meister and Warlord. As a result of the time spent within the group, he was later known as the strongest member of the team.
However, his fearful nature would get the better of him and developed an obsession with gaining power. He was also drive insane due to the Eight Shinigami Legions' extreme sense of justice. After a great battle, Asura began fearing death and secretly fed his partner, Vajra, souls not on Shinigami's List and created the first Demon Sword. He would eventually consume his partner as a weapon full, gaining the ability to consume souls and using the demon weapon by will.
As a result, he became the first Kishin. Wrecking havoc with his Madness Wavelength and the Madness of Fear, he was later put to an end by his father. He was defeated, skinned alive, drained of all his blood, and the dried up body and soul was stuffed into a sack made up of his own skin to seal away him and his Madness. Death's soul was then anchored to what would be Death City to prevent the Kishin from moving about. Throughout the next eight centuries, his father and former master would periodically appear to maintain the seal around him.
Eight hundred years later, Asura is revived when Eruka Frog injects a giant needle of Black Blood into the sack containing the Kishin. As a result, he beings reforming into his original form. As he forms, he is attacked by Death the Kid using the Demon Twin Guns, though they do no damage to the god and continues reforming. As he finishes, he is surprised to find the Frog Witch in front of him, screaming at the top of his lungs. As the witch screams herself in fear, both Kid and Free are astounded by the Kishin being surprised. Black☆Star decides to attack him with his Ultimate Move: Black☆Star Big Wave. However, the attack is ineffective and he is sent flying away from Asura with only a swipe in the air. As Kid attempts to shoot down the Kishin, he is slapped in the forehead with Asura's elastic skin, causing him to get knocked out in one hit. Asura then stretches his skin into Skin Scarves, loudly exclaiming that he is naked and needs to cover up, which he does. He then comments on how nice it must be to have muscles, before jumping into the air and flying his way out of the shrine.
As Asura reaches the surface, he is then captured by some of Death's seals that were in place just in case he ever escaped earlier. However, due to being newly revived and the dated sealing, the seals are easily torn. However, Death then appears before Asura. As Death greeted the Kishin and questions wellbeing, Asura questions why Death currently wears a silly mask. As the question is answered, he presumes that the silly voice in which he speaks is the result of being in the academy and wanting to appeal to the children. Death then gives Asura an ultimatum, stating it is time for him to die again before being hit by a powerful Shinigami Chop.
Crashing into the group, he then laughs manically, asking Death does he know the pain of having skin torn from the body and claims he's forgotten. He then sends his skin scarves to Death, prompting him to use Katsu and Shinigami Shock Waves to nullify and counter his move. He takes the shockwaves, taking damage and easily heals. He then attempts to escape, with Death blocking his way with a Death Block shield, promoting him to use his own abilities to drill through both the shield and Death. As Death attempts to skin him alive again, the attack bounces away and it is revealed Asura was aware that Death can no longer move freely. He then tells Death that he doubts they'll ever meet and bids his farewell, calling Death "Master" before leaving.
When Crona had used Mad Blood to encompass a large sphere of Black Blood around the city Ukraine, Asura's own Black Blood reacted and prompted Justin Law and The Clown to investigate the reason behind it.
After Noah (Wrath) manages to capture Asura by using Brew to fuse with one of his ants, Crona suddenly appears behind Noah and they dissolve both Noah (Wrath) and Asura in twister of Mad Blood. Crona then absorbs only Asura and they say that they don't need Noah (Wrath), who Ragnarok immediately spits out of Crona's body. However, after Crona has a mental breakdown, Asura assimilates Crona's body and swears to create a chaotic world driven by Madness.
He easily resists Maka's failed attempts to get Crona back, and deflects several attacks by Maka, Black☆Star, and Kid, watching calmly as Kid completes his transformation into a full Shinigami and commenting on what a stupid younger brother Kid is, revealing the fact that he too is Shinigami's son.
Asura continues fighting the trio, and their efforts to defeat him continue being in vain despite Kid's transformation into a Shinigami. Soul determines he and Maka must harness the power of the Black Blood to defeat him, and take the risk of insanity that comes with it. Donning the dress of Black Blood again, Maka enters Asura while Kid and Black☆Star hold him back. Inside Asura, Maka manages to convince Crona that they are doing the wrong thing. Crona finally agrees to stop and agrees to help the group because they trust Maka's judgment so much, as Maka was the only person ever to be kind, caring, and trusting towards them.
Upon leaving Asura, Maka attacks Asura with the Kishin-Hunt, defeating him and allowing Crona to seal both Asura and themselves inside The Moon to keep the madness locked away forever, whilst Maka, Black☆Star and Kid are safely transported back to Death City.
- (To Death the Kid) "Shinigami wished to be the god of absolute order, and thus he cut loose his fear — and turned it into me. That careless act was the genesis of this world that is saturated with the madness you hate so much." 
- (To Black☆Star) "Why do you blindly trust Shinigami when you possess such power for yourself? This is why humanity is foolish."
- According to the end statements for the preview of Episode 25 when Maka questions Asura's favorite activities as a child, he stated he likes stretching, although every question from that point and after has Asura only answer "stretching" no matter the question.
- Asura's prominent symbol of three vertical eyes was based upon the symbol involved with the character "Emine" and his Hakutaku in Atsushi's earlier series B. Ichi.
|Active||Eibon • Asura • Great Old One of Power • Excalibur|
|Left Group||• Excalibur • Eibon • The Great Old One of Power|
|True||DeathGreat Old One|
|Fragments||Death the Kid • AsuraGreat Old One|